Options

Experian Robin Hood Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Gold PigGold Pig ✭✭✭
  • Options
    image You mean we weren't in a fire station??? image
  • Options

What do you mean you haven't signed up yet GP???  Get entered... What about instead of an autumn marathon you do a Kilomathon???   *smiles sweetly*

Have you convinced Shaun yet Fiona that a Kilomathon is the way to go... He can do Scotland as a warm up for the Wales one next year. image

• Options

CazSoul and Fiona,

Regarding your search for hotels, i have a rough (that's why it only measures about 12.5 miles) version of the course map on my mapmyrun (link posted below) and the race starts on Victoria embankment which is across the river from Notts Forest's ground so there may be hotels around there. Hope this helps.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/gb/nottingham/140127547716859718

• Options
    Thanks Beavis, have had a quick google and oooh there are some rough holes passing themselves off as B&Bs/Hotels if the reviews are anything to go by LOL.
  • Options

CazSoul,

Only half an hour from my house so i'll be driving in if i do it, good luck at finding a "nice" place to stay, the only trouble is if you're planning an after show party in town is it will mean a mile or so journey to get there as the start is out o' town a bit. 

Going for a run later, managed to peel myself off the settee and find my running shoes, i've still got the timing chip attached to my laces from Edi, which proves how motivated i've been, oh and i've only just stopped peeling, my scalp was a mess for days.

• Options
    The back of my hands are a mess where I forgot to put sunscreen on them... Thank goodness I bought that Factor 50 stuff on the Saturday or I'd have been burnt to a frazzle.  I'll have to head back home on the Sunday as I cant get the Monday off work so I'll have the car and can easily (with SatNav) drive to the pub or near enough once I've finished doing that running thing.  I've got a hug to collect from GP you know... image
  • Options
    Hi guys - like the new place. You've really got it looking very nice.

I have been poorly all week with nasty manflu and reckon my body is telling me "no more marathons in the next few weeks"

Had to duck out of a race yesterday with illness so not feeling good.

Well done to DT2 on his 10k time. He's still got it you know.

Will go and catch up on all the posts tomorrow when I feel a little better.

Night all (god it's only half nine)
  • Options

Morning all,

Looks like another lovely day for a run (note -  don't forget to apply sunscreen) off for hopefully a gentle run between 5 and 10 miles. The route today isn't up to me so I wait with baited breath. Did a 5k solo time trial yesterday and got round in a shade over 23 mins, about 15 seconds quicker than my last timed solo 5k last year. I've been quicker in 10k races at the halfway point but it's easier when your chasing others in a race.

I'm reverting back to a FIRST training programme for RHM, I followed their programme for a HM last year and have never felt fitter, I felt like I had endurance and speed (relative to me) but the only thing I got from the RW programme I followed for RSM was the endurance. It's all trial and error I guess until you find something that gives you the results you want and even then on the day it can still go pearshaped.

• Options
    Sam.Sam. ✭✭✭

I used Hal Higdon for Stratford and I liked the variety of tempo runs, intervals and hills. I am going with Pfitzinger and Douglas for RHM as many of the long runs in this plan seem to include marathon paced miles whereas with the Hal Higdon plan most of the long runs are slow. I've made the change as I was disappointed to be 15m slower at Stratford than Abingdon 06, although other factors may have contributed such as the heat and the slipped discs.

• Options

Sam - I looked at HH, but I didn't feel that I gained a lot from doing 5/6 runs a week, whereas I really noticed the difference with FIRST for my HM training, 2kgs lighter, faster and stronger. It will be interesting to see how the RW and FIRST schedules compare post RHM and I know that there is a vast difference between doing a HM and a Full Marathon.

Time will tell, but the biggest bonus for RHM though, I've got others to train with. 

• Options
    Sam.Sam. ✭✭✭
    Yeah, with HH I ran 5 or 6 days a week. At the moment, with P & D it's only 4 although there is the option to increase to 5. I may keep it at 4 though as I have just (literally just) been told I have mild plantar fasciitis. I had been finding it difficult to walk in the middle of the night/morning, after a run and difficult to run for the first mile. Now I know why. I am currently icing my feet over a cold can of beer (ooops! wait 'till my boyfriend finds out I've half-inched his beer!!) after a session on the spikey ball of pain image
  • Options
    am doing this. Hoping to better VLm by 20-30 minutes, nearly two weeks into plan. Training by HR
  • Options

Evening all,

First pasta fix since pre-Edinburgh, and it tastes gorgeous!!! Cant believe I am topping up my carbs again already - Malvern Half Marathon on sunday, and look at the weather, de ja vu!

Question - I have been running for 4/5 years, and NEVER suffered with black toe nails or blisters until the last 3 or 4 weeks. I put Edinburgh down to the heat, where I got my first black toe nail, and a big blister, but its not been that warm since.  It seems after most runs lately, one of my toes has rubbed (always a different one!), and whilst not a blister, its "killing" the skin on the end of the toe. It cant be my running shoes, as have run 300 miles in them without a problem, and never had it with my previous pair. Could it be my feet are getting bigger??? Any ideas?

• Options

Well it was only a matter of time that the "W" word would raise it's head. Apologies to those who weren't on the RSM thread.

Been checking the RHM website and they have a total of 10 water stations, 4 in the first 11 and a half miles, 6 more in the last 14.7 miles. 2 of the first 4 have lucozade and there's lucozade for the second half too.

Gonna have to find something else to gripe about! image

• Options

Hi all,

Glad to see it's getting busier in here.  I'm visiting my Mum in Newark for a few days and had a nice run along the Trent yesterday.  Got the Notts 10 tonight, which I originally entered before Chester and planned to go for a pb.  I don't think that will happen now but my legs are feeling quite good so it should be a nice run out.  

Then it's back home bright and early tomorrow for work - don't you just hate it when annual leave comes to an end!

Have a good day all.

• Options

I've been off all week as it's half term, so I've been looking after the kids. I think they should introduce an after leave, leave break so that you can ease yourself gently back into work. How about 1 weeks leave, then 4 working days leave, in on Friday, then have the weekend. I think that would work for me.

Anther lovely day, so helped Mrs G with her Race for Life training, she's entered the 10k at Weston Park and is dreading it. So along with daughter on her bike, off we went for a 6.4 mile run which she did in 1hr 8min 23sec, which she should be well pleased with. All in all, it was a lovely way to do a recovery run for me and think the daughter will be accompanying me on them a bit more often.

• Options

Hey K.P,

good luck in tonights race, was due to be running myself but realised i'd not only double booked, but i'd also booked in for another race on Sunday! decided to skip on tonights race in favour of Beverages in the sun! image have fun anyway, its a really good race, pretty good quality field of runners aswell.

1st hard...ish session back since Edinburgh lastnight 12*400m at 1:10mins laps..........i might leave it a while longer before i start back with the hard work........or at least until after the world cup! image

Hope everyones getting on ok & all the Edinburgh crew are starting to find there way back again?

• Options
    So dropped the car off early at the garage this morning an with no visible means of getting back (Boss still sound in bed!) I ran back home under J9M6- I get all the best scenary on my runs!
    Long run tomoz now due to a late night in the land of the golden boys-Wolverhampton. Should be about 15 reckon.
    Training plan kicks in Monday...and here we go!
  • Options

Phil just a guess but new shoe's or first time you've done the distance? It can be lots of things but the most common is that your feet swell up and you sweat on your lacing and get them wet. Makes then constrict and after 16 miles your toes don't get as much blood to them as they did before. With the constant pounding on the road you end up with the toe nail of death. It's a badge of honour! I know make sure my laces are loose ish before a long run and does stop it for me but also means I have to re-tie them a few times.

But like I said there could be something else that caused it.

• Options

Cake,

Its not new shoes or the distance, but you may have a point around shoes getting wet and shrinking - that certainly happened in Edinburgh! Thanks for that. I am planning on new shoes in the next few weeks, but will try the 'loosely' tied laces, as I do tend to like them tight when I run. Will let you know how I get on on sunday.

Happy running all!

• Options
    A lot of folks have trainer's half a size to big for this reason mate and feet do swell with the punisment.
  • Options
    I'll vouch for that! ive got a pair of Adidas 'Adizero' Bostons that i use, my right foot is ever so slightly bigger than my left,  fine over 10K/half marathon yet over the full distance my right foot ends up taking a battering, hence currently sports a pretty nifty 2 toenails left out of 5 look! image
  • Options

Half a size bigger Cake???  My normal shoes are a 5 but my running trainers are a 6 1/2... My 1st pair were a size 6 which was fine for 10ks but once I progressed onto HMs they battered hell out of my freakishly long 2nd toe... So now I have boat feet when I go out running.

Aah the joys of being a girl Super Tanner (have you not changed your name yet???) I just paint over the black toenails with black nail polish and pretend they're not there.  Last time I went to fizzy, she said to me "oh your toes aren't THAT bad" so I had to tell her the foot she was working on actually had the better looking toenails and there was a reason why I'd kept a sock on my right foot. image

• Options

I finished Stratford Marathon with exactly the same experience as DT2...Never had trouble with blackened nails over any other race distance. Shoes are the same model I've always run in - GTS9's. As always they are a 1/2 size bigger than normal  shoe size...But big toe, right foot - blood bath! Nail black as the ace of spades and promptly bled for some days afterwards when running. But it seems to have settled down now..?!

• Options
    imageI feel sick after reading all this!!
  • Options

My admiration for all you Edinburgh lot has just gone up another notch after my training run this morning! It was 'only' 13.88 and the heat was terrible at 8:30 in the morning. Got back okay, but then went a lot downhill after the cool down.

Glucose tablet, Lucozade light (s'nice!) and LOTS of water were the order of the day.

...and before you all shout..I DID take water, and even a gel with me! Just found it rough in the heat.

I did try the ol' laces thing as well, as mentioned above...didn't tie them as tight and the difference was surprising. Feet felt a little more comfortable, just the rest of me was dieing! image

..and on to the next? ICE BATHS! I can't manage them at all! Not even a cold water bath. I just don't seem to be able to take it! I tense up and even lowering slowly is TTTtttooooooooooo much!

How do you all get on/ not with them?

• Options

I tried ONE cold bath when training for Edinburgh, think it was after a 20miler... Never again!!!  The pain in my feet from the cold was unbearable and I didn't feel like it did anything.  Some of the other Edi survivors swore by them in training.  Mr CS came up with a cup of tea for me whilst I was sat in it and laughed his head off at me sat in the bath with a sweatshirt on swearing like a trooper under my breath.

I found at Edinburgh everything I'd practiced in training went straight out the window as I felt so sick with the heat that I couldn't stomach the drinks I had on me let alone the gel I had planned to take at 20miles. imageimage

well done on getting out there and pushing out 13.88 in this heat. image

• Options

I have to agree with CazSoul, anyone running for any distance today did well, and interesting that you did the laces thing, and felt it had some benefit - I am going to try it tomorrow at the Malvern half, at least the weather should be more pleasant! As for today, I was asked to referee at a kids six-a-side footie tournament, and ended up sending off a lad of 11 - does that make me a bad person? (he cried a lot, but he was trying to start a fight!)

As for ice baths, I have read the cold bath to cool down the muscles before a hot bath theory, and it makes a lot of sense, but never tried an ice bath. At about 21 miles of Edinburgh, I had a real hankering for an ice cold bath (hallucinating I think!), however, when I got back to the digs, my running partner (she did the half) had the first bath, and I was let with only ice cold water - and it wasnt nice!!!! Thoug have to admit, the muscles felt much better for it.

I do finish in the gym with a cold shower, though but that may be more to do with the scenery!!

• Options
    Sam.Sam. ✭✭✭

Sounds like you did the right thing Phil, no point giving him the message that fighting is acceptable. It'll do him good in the long run.

Taking about long runs, got my feet in a bucket of icey water at the mo :0(  Any tips for (mild) plantar fasciitis folks?