Options

Weight loss name and shame (or congratulate!)

Comments

• Options

Booey - Good luck with the run

Toby - Keep that piggy in it's sty! I know exactly how you feel. With all the running you do I'm sure the weight will drop off again.

Words - Enjoy being back on your home territory, and finding some new routes.

Spen - Bloody good luck with the 70 miler, rather you than me!

Biglad - That's excellent work on the weight loss, and also a great time for your first 10k. I know exactly what you mean by not wanting to go more than two days without running.

If you don't mind I'm going to indulge in a bit of basking in my own glory now, following on from my medical on Monday. My previous medical was in February 2011, which was before I started exercising again.

Height before, 5ft 10 in, height now, 5ft 11in (No idea how I've grown an inch at 51!)

Weight before, 17st 3lbs, weight now 13st 8lbs

BMI before 35, BMI now 27

Body fat % before 30%, now 20% (I'm sure the nurse said it was 16.5% but I'll take the 10% drop!)

Total cholesterol was 4.93 now 4.23 which includes good cholesterol (HDL) which was 1.1 now 1.5

Blood pressure was 139/99 now 125/82

My heart disease risk score was 10% and is now 5%, this is against the average for my age of 14%

1% Diabetes risk score, can't find my previous score.

My waist was 42 inches and is now 34 inches.

This running lark has got a lot to answer for!  When I was a twice a weekend footballer I used to hate running as part of training but somehow I've come to love running in later life! Especially my long slow run on a Sunday morning, rain or shine I'm out between 6 and 7.30 on a Sunday morning for anything between 10 and 15 miles. If somebody had said I'd be doing that 18 months ago I'd have laughed in their face.

Have a great weekend all.

GFB

• Options

Gary Fatbloke, that is fantastic reading and well done on your weight loss too.   I know what you mean about if somebody had said to you about running, as this time last year I struggled to run a bath and on Thursday I did 10.2 miles and felt like there was still more in the tank.. It is amazing what the body can do if you put your mind to it.  Good luck with your running.

Toby - You know it makes sense to keep that piggy in it's sty and stay away from temptation, says me who went to Burger King yesterday for a treat.  I suppose once in a blue moon is okay.

• Options

Afternoon all

Should have done 9 yesterday but what with the 12hr day and then not sleeping well was just to tiered so never got around to it so went to the park run this morning never went for a time ran with the wife she also has 5 miles to do to morrow so will go out with her to make up for missing the 9 on Friday

• Options

Just been out an completed a 17.2km run...not the fastest I have run so far but the longest distance and longest duration...

hacketthackett Well done....looks like your committed and getting it done well done!!! keep us posted!

toby3  Busy life eh? yeah it just has a habit of throwing rocks! image

C&I Dad (SPEN) Would love to hear about your race....image

Gary Fatbloke That medical really indicates how much effort you must have put in...hats off you to!image

biglad259 Am looking at your 10k time and wanting it!

=============================================================

This past week: WARNING...CONTAINS LOADS OF GLOATING

27.91miles - 4.00:08 total running time - Av pace 8'36/mi - 14:08 miles on road/3.11miles trail.All runs were whilst wearing a gasmask.

Longest run ever 10.71 miles....

Lost 0.5cm off my spare tyre - weight is stable at +/- 70kg another 1kg off would suit me fine.

Oh before I forget..my nipples hurt like you would not believe...got any tips ? 

Cheers to all you fellow losers!, were giants among men .... come the revolution we'll be kings!...keep doing what your doing! 

• Options

Started July 9th  at 242.8 lbs .

Have done 1 or 2 sporadic runs ( i havent really done much exercise for 7 years), and having trouble with couch to 5k. Hopefully it will get better.

Started to eat health, cut out almost all junk food ( body is used to it, so working it out slowly)

Weighed myself this morning, 238 lbs.  Not bad, but as they say, slow and sure wins the race in the end.

• Options

Afternoon all

went out for a run with O/H today she was only meant to be doing 5 miles as her training for the Cricklade H/M has now kicked off but we decided to do our 3.2 mile route that we used to run when training for the Bristol 10k which takes in the docks and as it was a lovely day in the end she decided to run it twice making just over 6 miles

the Bristol triathlon was on today so we got to see parts of the cycling and runners as we trotted past as we got back to the end of the second time around i still felt ok so while O/H went into the ASDA to get some drinks i ran the loop again to make it 9 miles which is what i should have done on Friday

Dave i always put plasters over mine before i go out or there’s Vaseline and a product call body glide also cotton t-shirts will be worse for making this happen it may be worth in vesting in some t-shirts made of wicking material that draws the sweat away from the body

• Options

Biglad: Fantastic story! And like others on here I'm jealous of your 10k time.

Dave: That's some good running - good effort. Re nipples: plasters are probably best, but be prepared to lose some hair... grit'n'rip buddy. I came back from a run in the rain a few weeks ago with two bloody streaks down the front of my shirt. And then, in the shower, *&*& me! image

Gary: congrats on a great medical. Just goes to show that running really is good for you!

Toby: That spreadsheet seems a good idea, keep us posted!

Welcome/waves to everyone else.

-------------------------------------------------------------

My turn to gloat:

Woohoo! I'm over halfway towards my 2,012km target! What with my 13k in Bradford yesterday, and my 26k in Llanelli today (yes, I get about a bit), my total for the week has leapt to 65.77k, giving an overall total of 1,020.47k. So that means I've only got 991.53k left to run this year...

Today's run - especially the last 5k - was hard. 26k is a fraction over 16 miles in old money, and the furthest I've ever run by 2k. Even though I had four or five short walks during the course of the run, I still finished in 2hrs 31mins - just one minute away from my target. A four-hour marathon is looking almost possible, but that relies on me maintaining today's pace for another ten miles. Hmmm.

On the weight front, I seem to be hovering at the 15st 3lb mark - I'm not eating loads of rubbish, and I'm exercising plenty, but it seems I'm plateauing a bit. Going to revisit the diet sheets this week...

• Options

Wordslinger thanks for the kind words, but to want my 10k time and you are running those distances, I take my hat off to you.  I wish I could run 26k in just over 2 1/2 hours, thats fantastic.  I also seem to have hit a wall with my weight loss, but at the moment I am just happy that I am not the weight I was last year.

Good luck with the rest of your running year.

Dave with regards to the nipples I have found that the technical t-shirts that wick the sweat away stop my nips from rubbing.

Today effort was 6.25miles - 47.52minutes over cycle paths and rough and muddy tracks and a few little hills too.

• Options

word well done on the run to get under the 4hr mark you need to ran at 9:03 m/m pace

• Options

Whey hey I PB'd my 5K race yesterday 26.06 image well pleased image thats almost 10 minutes off last years time (it was my first race) and 2 minutes better than my previous PB image it was a nice day, no rain and abit to warm for me but pleased I did it image

Well done everyone image you lot are really putting in the work image

A few of us in our village have managed to set up a running group, we start tonight 6pm image going for mondays and fridays image that means with my other clubs I now have the option of running every night of the week image sounds good to me I can pick and choose image

• Options

Booey, what can I say?  Amazing improvement, congratulations!

I've been on a break with the family to Center Parcs so am completely out of the loop, and I'm currently trying to do last weeks work in one day (sometimes I wonder if it's worth taking a holiday at all!)  Excuse me if I don't read back.

I see there are some new faces (welcome) and some gloating (congrats).

Managed to do a couple of runs while away, probably about 10 miles total, but have also managed to put on about 4 lbs, oops.  Hols were Mon-Fri, so made Parkrun, it was my 39th on Saturday; should get my free T-shirt in a couple of months LOL.  Just about feeling recovered from HM in June, and I'm thinking of dipping my toe with the local running club tonight. 

Have a good week everyone.

• Options

Dave - Personally I have found surgical tape to be the best solution to keep the runners nipple at bay, plasters worked ok too, but I found they started to come off when wet.

• Options

Booey well done on the PB's what a great improvement and you can see all your hard work is paying off

weighed in to day put 3lbs on over the weekend  according to my speed sheet so am now 12st 6lbs but i am still 2lbs down on my start weigh for last week which gives me a good chance of losing some more this week

• Options

Thanks for all the advice chaps...

After yesterday's 17km I went for a short 5km around the block and boy did I feel slow and sluggish...very slow splits...

Weight is steady at around 70kg which is ok...just need to work on the spare tyre...

Ok all...have a good week ...

• Options

morning all

did 3 yesterday have decided to have a treadmill and telly week this week all but Friday that is when i shall go out for my long run 4 today then a gym session on Wednesday

• Options

Hi all. managed to finish my ultra in 16hrs and 11mins, it was really tough and feet are a right mess with blisters, also told by my wife that not allowed to do another one as collapsed in the hotel after the race, but we shall see.

For sore nipples I use zinc oxide tape it works when you sweat alot as well.

take care everyone

• Options

Spen - Awesome!  What was your training schedule like for the Ultra?  I've been saying for a long time that I want to do something borderline idiotic for Tiny Life (Premature baby charity) as my eldest was 12 weeks early.  An Ultra might be the thing.

Had my first experience with a running club last night, and enjoyed it, it helps that I am already familiar with many of the members through Parkrun.  We did and "Extreme" Parkrun, with 6 circuit stations on the middle lap of 3.  Feeling it this morning!  I ran 29:15, I think I was a bit too keen on lap 1.  They are doing 6x1000m interval session on Wed, might try that too.

• Options

JLB3 - thanks, my training was basically marathon training but added some extra longer runs in of 30 miles and 35 miles, the main thing is nutrition and hydration etc, I would recommend the one I did they do a 40 miler as well try looking on the website www.fatfeet.co.uk, well done on your intervals. I am having a complete rest this week, lots of eating and drinking and letting the blisters heal.

• Options

Spen well done to you sir what an amazing achievement mine I've come to expect nothing less from you sorry to hear you collapsed but glad to hear your OK now

• Options

Toby3 - thanks for that, I just need to convicne the wife to let me have another go next year, I am fine now, just sore feet but only to be expected, I thik I collapsed due to exhaustion and a sugar crash.

Perhaps i can tempt you next year ???

• Options

Spen - thats excellent well done image you must be very proud image I know i would be image have a well deserved week off now then start training for the next one image

• Options

Wow Spen...I don't know if thats a good time or not all I know is I am well impressed! but I can see why your other half is not!! ROFL

• Options

Morning all

well 4 mile done yesterday done as a sort of Fartek session walk 1k run flat out or as flat out as the treadmill will go gym session today then will have to get my LSR IN ON Friday as were off to Leicester again for another attempt for the wife to do the race for life let’s hope it’s not called off this time

• Options

Thanks all, they published the results today and in the 70 miler, 24 started, 10 dropped out and I came 5th, so really proud, now to convicne the wife about next year

• Options

Again, awesome.  Thanks for pointing me towards trainig plan as well.  Looking closer at Ultra training, the mileage isn't neccessarily as horrendous as I though it might be.  But it's just a pipe dream for mid 2013 at the earliest anyway, concentrate on managing 26.2 miles for now! lol.

• Options

well to my shame never got the gym session done woke up to late must get it don to day

• Options

At long last we have started a little running group up in our village thanks to a friend I was at school with image been out twice so far, usual nights will be mon and fri image so i basically have a club I can now run with every night of the week if i choose image 

I have run everyday since Sat so am having a rest day today image

• Options

imageI'm there with you in the shame corner Toby, instead of 6 x 1000m intervals, I got a large mixed kebab on chip!

Great Booey, have you got a name for your Athletics Club? lol

Did my first run of any notable distance since HM last month; 7.5 miles in 1h 10m.  Feel far from my peak!

• Options
    Spen - well done! I'm seriously impressed. Enjoy a few rest days...

I've done three runs this week - 2x4miles and an 8miler. Rest day tomorrow then another 15milesmor so over the weekend. Looking forward to a rest day tomorrow because my legs are more than a little tired and I don't want to push it/injure myself.

Anyone watch Panorama tonight? They basically pulled apart claims made by sports drink, supplements, and running shoe manufacturers... Bit of an eye opener.

Hope everyone's doing ok.