Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options

AR, cracking running lad! Great report - I felt stressed just reading about the pre-race problems so you must have been mightily agitated going thorough it. Excellent result on a tough day image 

OO, super WAVAing.  

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Brilliant report AR, superb. or should I say, "Crackin' toast, Grommit!" image

I enjoyed your carbo load pizza tales. It reminded me of Paris this year when there was a knock on the door at 2.45am. When I opened the door of the apartment there was a guy there with a pizza delivery. Of course it was in error, I only had 3 hours to go before getting up to run a marathon. I was mighty miffed I can tell you!

Thanks for the reassurances, guys. I've been living on the sub-3.45 thread for a few years and have seen myself and others improve relative to this thread. However coming on here is like going into big school with a spanking new uniform, sharpened pencils and a short haircut. image

I'm currently struggling with LSR pace, I think I'm going a bit quick (or am I?). The first 4 miles of my 10 at LSR pace on Saturday were around 8m/m and with a HR of 138 but I ended up going quicker through boredom and ill discipline. I have previously built up to 10 mile tempo sessions, so it's a strange disctance for me anyway when it comes to session type.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on LSR pace as from December I begin the gradual weekly increases to 20 milers. also, I saw MLR in an earlier post, is that Medium Long Run?

Cheers

SB

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Enjoyed tracking your race, AR - brilliantly paced !  Fine reporting, too . . .

Kudos to TR also for a landmark result !  

• Options

Great NY marathon AR!! You must be well pleased with that time.

Well on the 10 miler TR & Abbers.

Congrats on the Parkrun OO.

Average 8.5 miler yesterday to pick up my car themorningafterthenightbefore. Wanted 8 min miles but came out 7.4x pace - way too quick for this time of year.

• Options

Inspirational stuff as expected from AR and a lovely sub 60 from TR

SB - P&D suggests your LSR and most of your MLRs (it is medium long run) should be 10 to 20% slower than Goal MP. I think most people on here follow that and some start their lsr at MP plus 20% and work upto MP +10% in a progressive stylee.

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Stunning run from AR in New York, especially considering the less than ideal build up!

Good XC and inter-family rivalry from Lorenzo.

And great to see Poacher back to it.

6 easy miles done here, and the legs felt absolutely fine, evidence that yesterday's efforts really weren't all I'm capable of. Still coughing though, so I think the limiting factor was definitely respiratory.

• Options

AR - Brilliant running and race report.

TR – Excellent sub 60!

Abbers – Nice PB despite not being 100% well

PMJ – Good to hear you are managing over 2 hour runs again.

Lit – It’s funny how you mention kicking people off once they go sub 3:15. I used to get a little disheartened myself when I was running around 3:15 marathon times, and others were going sub 2:50 on this thread. However, I used them as inspirations and targets and have since improved to 2:54.

The sub 3 and sub 3:15 threads are more like football Premiership and Championship threads in my mind. I lurk the sub 3 thread but only post here as I still see it as my natural division.

SB – As Men say’s 10% to 20% slower than MP is good for LSRs. I also think it’s good to add progressively more MP miles as you get closer to the event peaking at about 10 MP within 20 to 22 miles about 3 - 4 weeks out.    

I’ve started researching 100k training plans for my Ultra next year. It’s interesting that all of them have me running a lot less miles than I’m currently peaking at for marathons at about 70 miles per week. This is mainly due to having 2 days off either side of the two LSR’s over the weekend.

• Options

Ha!  I love the fact I'm about the only deluded nutter who posts on the Premiership thread.  Although in fairness when I started posting there (2007...) the standard wasn't nearly as high.

• Options

Cracking run AR, and a great report as well. It was an interesting race to watch, particularly the ladies. A 7 minute negative split at that pace is quite something!

• Options

Badbark - I was only joking. Actually, don't tell anyone, but I'd already run sub-3:15 before I even posted on here for the first time. But I, too, didn't think I quite fitted on the premiership thread. image

Well done to AR, TR, and Abbers! I had a rather less impressive weekend, attempting to run a 7-mile race as a tempo at MP speeding up to HMP in last two miles, but totally failed to do the speeding up part. In my defense it was very windy in those two miles and even maintaining MP managed to overtake 30 people who'd all slowed down.

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Fantastic run again AR, shame about wasting all that nervous energy before the start. I reckon that bus driver owes you 5 seconds.

Well I blew the cobwebs off my trainers today, I should have used my limited intelligence and gone for an easy plod along the canal towpath, but a couple of work colleagues were running a hilly route affectionately known as the double hard bastard. So I took off after them to show off my superior speed and endurance and ended up pulling my left calf on one of the steep bits.

I am now limping with a very tight calf...Bugger! I'm going back on the booze.
  • Options

Cracking report AR - well done for pulling such a result off despite the Yanks conspiring against you!

It's not quite New York but I'm on my way up to Newcastle at the moment so would appreciate some advice from the locals on this thread.

1. Will I understand what everyone's saying and or will people just laugh at my Home Counties accent?

2. I'm guessing from watching Match of the Day and seeing all the short sleeved tops and bare chests that it's lovely and warm in Newcastle at the moment. With this in mind, will I be OK wearing my new red and white striped t-shirt tomorrow?

3. I'm staying right in the centre of town (near the station) - where's the best route for a 6-7 mile run first thing tomorrow?

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    If you're gonna wear that t shirt, may suggest you go for a tempo run, nice and early.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Well done AR, another amazing performance. A pal of mine, odds on for a sub 3:15 only managed 3:23  so I appreciate what a tough course it was.  

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

AR - excellent run, another strong sub3 for the cv. Is that you done for the year now ? are you doing marathons next year too or just the ultra ?

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - you'd better read thisimage

You're nicely positioned for a jog down the Quayside which is well worth a visit but I'd recommend taking your red and white shirt past the football ground, carry on past Newcastle University on your right and the RVI on your left and you'll see the sign for Exhibition Park, which leads on to the Town Moor.  Its probaby about a mile from the station and once there you can pick paths for your run.  

Have fun!

• Options

Minni - great article and thanks for the recommendations for routes. Was only joking about the red and white shirt though! I've got a lovely fluorescent yellow running top so will hopefully be easily seen when I head out at about 6 ish.

On a related note, any recommendations for somewhere to grab a bite to eat? Doesn't have to be posh - decent pub food will do but I really can't stand hotel food.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

You in walking distance of Chinatown - king Neptune for a pricey but delicious meal or any of the buffets. 

Head to Grey Street or Quayside for nice Italians. I can recommend Sabatini.  (Again 10-15 min walk) 

• Options

I have just started running. I wanted to know what sort of training I should do.

• Options
    snake screan wrote (see)

I have just started running. I wanted to know what sort of training I should do.

Interesting, someone with the same forum name as you has been running for ages at a very high level: left yourself logged in somewhere public?

http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=11122

• Options

Lorenzo - head to the Crown Posada near the Quayside. Unspoiled period city pub with proper beers. A little gem, and not in the lettuce sense

• Options

Poacher - I can tell you're trying to lead me astray judging by this from their website. 

The Crown Posada offers an extensive range of excellently kept cask ales from local suppliers around the North East. The Crown Posada regularly receives CAMRA awards, and was recently named as the Daily Telegraph & Abbot Ale Tyne and Wear perfect pub. Serving a selection of freshly prepared sandwiches everyday, it is the perfect place to relax whilst enjoying all that this traditional pub has to offer. Sandwiches £1.50, with a packet of crisps free.

Dont tell me it's also a good idea to work until 3am and then go for a run!!!

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Quayside is probably closest for a run Lorenzo- just follow the river and you can't get lost. The quayside also has a large selection of eateries- though I rarely go there as I'm too spoilt at the coast.  Will be interested to hear your f/back on Newcastle...

Pouring in Geneva- I've put my run off till the morning... 

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Something I've been meaning to ask - Gul did you get sorted with a job? 

And something I've been meaning to say - knight Rider I really like your site/work. image

• Options

SB - the edition of P&D which I read recommended something along these lines. Run the first 4-5 miles as a gradual warm-up so that you build up to MP+20%. Then the main bulk of the run, say 8-10 miles, should be run at MP+20%. Then the pace of the final section, i.e. the last 4-5 miles, should be MP+10%. Occasionally in the schedule, there is an LSR with a sizeable chunk at MP itself, but this is not the norm. However, most people on here do MP runs more often than this. I'm currently in base training, and most of my long runs seem to start off around 9:00 m/m and very gradually speed up to somewhere between 8:00-8:30 m/m. I would recommend that you slow down your long runs a bit, but it does take some getting used to. I used to run mine around 7:30-8:00 m/m and it's probably not a coincidence that I always used to end up on the bench every few months.
    Abbers - get well soon.
    Jools - I occasionally lurk on the sub 3:30 thread!
    Moof - ouch! Take care of that calf.
    Lorenzo - careful, you might be mistaken for a canaryimage
    Minni - thanks for asking. Still no paid employment, but I'm keeping very busy. Really enjoying myself, but the money won't last forever... Next week I'm off to the local college for a couple of days looking at becoming a secondary school teacher, plus a day observing classes in an as yet unspecified school.
    12 easy miles and more heron spotting d&d early doors.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Gul - that's brilliant advice, thanks. It's inline with what I had in mind for the Brighton campaign, When I was injured this year I had to change my training approach to make the Paris start line. I was only able to do 3 x 20 milers but I did them all at well over 8m/m which I had not done in the past. I have (and I'm sure we all do) have terrible trouble keeping the speed down on long runs as there's always the devil in your mind wanting to see what you're capable of. I know I should just do the session but I'm addicted to seeing constant improvement when looking at the stats. I realise this is counter productive.

My other longish runs, 14,16, 18 etc were all done slow too due to the injury. I think I really benefitted from the 'time on feet' element to these runs. I was able to do some quicker work on the TM but I had to avoid all hill work.

Knowing that better runners than me are adopting the more sensible, structured approach gives me confidence in the method.

5 miles at tempo scheduled for lunchtime. Currently stair rods in Surrey. image

SB

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Sun came out bang on cue but the breeze remained. First tempo session on the road for some time, 5 miles at 6.46 pace. Found it tough near the end but a good burn out. Core strength followed by a spinning sesh tonight image

Stats show that I'm fitter than the same time last year.image

SB

• Options

Belated congrats to AR, what a storming run in the big apple, that's a very quick time given the course and conditions. Super report as well and think the choice of singlet was the correct one! Stupid bus driver almost wrecked your whole trip!

TR - Impressive 10 miler and had it not been for the wind you would have gone under 59 no problem. Looking good for your up and coming half.

Abbers - Good 10 miler too, any 10 miler that starts with a 6 is considered good in my book! Hope you shake that bug soon.

Minni - That article made me laugh. I can't stand the cold and wouldn't last 5 mins up there.

Lorenzo - Hehe, the thought of legging it around Newcastle in a Mackem stylee top is hilarious albeit somewhat dangerous.

Gul - I was thinking just the same but Minni got in there before me. Sounds like you are keeping busy. My brother is in his second year in college and is trainng to be a school teacher, he is a mature student and is loving it. Very challenging yet rewarding career I would imagine. Solid running and sensible advice from you as usual!

Nice 4.5 miler lunch run for me today. Incorporated a few miles on the beach which made a pleasant change, still f-ing blustery though. 

• Options

I think the LSR is an unfortunate acronym as a lot of people read it as a long, slow run. It is not necessary to be slow and I prefer to think of it more as simply a long run, but if you want an s in there try steady or better: structured.

As Gul says, P&D recommend warm up, MP+20%, MP+10% and then cool down. For 3:15, MP is 7:26 and these two paces are 8:55 and 8:11. The important part is to try and keep to these paces and not average the run out at about 8:30 pace. The second part should feel hard (MP+10% should feel hard on untapered legs) and the first part should feel easy.

That is just one LSR, others have chunks of MP, others are really just slow runs to get time on the feet (so for 3:15, 10 miles at MP+20% followed by 10 miles at MP+10% only takes about 2:50 so you may want to run 3:10 or so and cover 22 or 23 miles real slow) .

The MLR is the medium long run and really this is a trick, so I did long run on Sunday and then a MLR today on legs that were still tired, so even though today I only did 14 miles in 1:45, I get the benefits of a much longer run as I was starting out tired. It isn't BOGOF but it is BOGOHP (buy one get one half price).

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Copied, pasted and sent to my spreadsheet and training pal too.

Excellent stuff, cheers PMJ.

SB