Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options

Also Ran. I hope that you bought the yellow ones. They are clearly faster.

Literatin, it sounds like you are proposing to run in your underwear. A nice big coat for the befores and afters could be in order.

TMI warning: one of the Doctors tried to push my nose back into the centre of my face. I had to try and tell him that it hadn't moved in this accident.
    Ah well, I'll have to find out what I can still do.

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Blisters - not much to say other than ouch! Recover well.

Good XC effort from Lorenzo, and some tidy miles from GM, SB and Ant.

My LSRs tend to be run at over 8mm, mostly because my longer runs are all done early in the morning at weekends, and I find it hard to up the pace when I've only just woken up, so take it nice & easy. If I do a 10 miler or similar at a lunchtime during the week, it's equally comfortable running a good 30 secs or so per mile faster. Another 8 or so planned for tomorrow morning to take me over 35 for the week, nothing faster than 8mm. Base being built getting fit for my first mara campaign.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Blisters you have my sympathy. Lost a tooth in a similar accident, then lost another tripping on stairs. I'm a man of few original teeth, welcome to the toothless club...Loving the post op 3 mile jog home. You are made of stern stuff.

18:20 at the parkrun y/day. 15 planned this morning. Then most of the day with Mrs OO- 30 years today since we met image

• Options

Ant - nice mileage. And you're right - find something that works for you.
    BOTF - sounds like an exhausting schedule!
    Abbers - good 11 miler - very enjoyable.
    SB - building up nicely.
    GM - you're getting lots of hilly miles in.
    Blisters - a truly hideous experience but you still managed to jog home!
    Lorenzo - glad to the XC has boosted your confidence.
    OO - good running - enjoy your day with Mrs OO.
    Best of luck to anyone racing or running today.
    No running yesterday - had some friends round on Friday evening and they went home so late that I got even less sleep than Weds night! So rounded off the week (57 miles) with 6 slow miles (avg. 9:07m/m) this morning instead. I'm just naturally slow! Cut-back week begins tomorrow - hoping to parkrun on Saturday.

• Options

Blisters - hope your face isn't too balloonesque this morning.

First time over 40miles in a week for a while with a track session of 8 x 400s around 73 secs chasing some young uns.

Ant - you pipped me to the post re lsr pace - 15 for me yesterday came out at sub 7.45 - 20 odd secs quicker than pre vlm for same heart rate. Only base building presently but left me pondering whether I should stay at this comfortable and natural feeling pace or deliberately slow down - save matches and all that. Answers on a post card please....

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

blisters - feck that sounds horrific. You poor thing. Take care.

Since I've got a 50k in 4 weeks image thought I'd better do a long run so 20m (lSr) @ 8:36. First 14 with a friend then the last 6 in my own sub (or around) 8 m/m.  I'll fit another 20 in next week then I guess it'll be taper time!! image

• Options

Ant - Shame about the HM and that 9 miler does sound tricky in a logistic sense. Finding that balance is not easy sometimes and we runners can be seen as selfish but we do make sacrifices for our love of it and it's not like we're down the boozer or playing 18 holes followed by a few extra hours at the 19th hole. Always amazes me how folk find time to play golf especially with a hectic work/family life.

TR - Swap the red Xempo top for a footie top instead and then you really will NOT look the part. Just imagine as you are cruising at 6mm pace what the guys who do look the part will think. Hehe, I would love to see the look on their faces. I recently went out on a training run, think it was a 6 miler and could hear this guy approaching me fast from behind and as he blazed past me in a flash of Man U red and footie shorts  I looked at my watch and thought, hey he is running sub 6:30mm  pace. I hunted him down and we virtually raced for a mile and it was only then that I managed to shake him off. Can't see that happening to you though! You aiming for 78?

Menn - I was hoping to do 40 this week but looks like even if I squeeze in a 12 miler today it will be only 34 for the week.image Missed Friday's session as I had a work do that involved 30 frenetic kids running around a large bardroom on the top floor of the building where I work. Talking about the stress levels being maxed out!

Gul - Nice big weekly mileage there once again. Indeed I am running alot of hilly miles. It's not by choice though as I despise them with a passion, it's the only way to avoid force 6-7 wind at the mo. One question for you. What sort of week did you do the week of your recent triumphant half? I am seriously thinking about doing teh half now but have never really trained for a half as such. Should I cut back next week completely or carry on as I am? Would appreciate your thoughts and anyone elses.

Minni - Nice 20 miler banked! Your dead good at them.

OO - Another impressive parkrun outing, 30 years is a long time, congrats.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Minni - any chance that next weekend you could do a LSR Saturday and Sunday ? something like a 20 and a 16, or an 18 and 18.

Gerard - ha ha, or a plain old cotton T shirt. I got beat by a guy dressed as a skeleton in a local 10k a few years back, but I knew he'd be fast as he was really skinny and had racing shoes on. My aim is to try and keep the right side of 6mm (depending upon how it feels on the day), that should get me in the 78ish ballpark, and then it depends upon how much I have in the sub 6mm buffer or not.

• Options

TR - I hope the conditions are favourable and you bag the 78. That would be a pb would it not? Yes I saw a tall bloke in a Mickey Mouse costume running the Jsy mara a few years back and he was running fast. I looked down and saw he was wearing a pair of Asics hyperspeed, nuff said..... Quite apt the bloke in the skelton costume was skinny.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Gerard - sounds similar. Yes that'd be a PB, my PB is the 79:50 from the Solent 1/2 a few weeks back, Gosport should be quicker. Although I started running a bit more in about 2007 with the aim of a sub3, I've never really targetted PBs at other distances, I'm making an effort to set some before I get too old. I hope to bag a sub36 10k in January, then they have all been tidied up and I concentrate on training towards VLM and next summers Tris.

• Options

Ouch, Blisters, sounds painful! I can't believe your wife didn't come and pick you up as well! 

Ouch for me too. During a bunch up in the first lap of the XC yesterday I got spiked in the shin, then on the second lap I stuck my right foot down a hole and nearly came a proper cropper. Survived both of those only to fall off my high heel shoe while trying to navigate the very uneven and potholed service road behind my house in the pitch dark after three glasses of wine. Now I have a sore left foot. 

• Options

SG - Jeeze, 3rd time unlucky or what!

TR - Very tidy pb's they would be too!

• Options

Back racing post-marathon: Gwent league in Bridgend.  Pleased to finish 15th (19th in the same fixture last year).  2nd scorer. Just over 4 miles at about 6.35m/m, apparently, which isn't bad for mud-fest and undulating cross-country.

• Options

Hey, that's really good Jools. IIRC your club has got quite a few talented girls. And 6:35 for a mud fest either means that it wasn't too muddy (doubtful), or that you just don't sink in. How do the legs feel after that one?

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    TR wrote (see)

Moof - yes to both. Your Glycogen stores should last you longer on race day as a result, just as long as you dont spike them before the off with a gel or sports drink. But research shows that even if you've taught yourself to be a good fat burner in training your body will still respond to gels etc on race day. there's a school of thought nowadays that says you can push really hard if you can consume and process enough energy to fuel it. But stomachs dont work well when pushed too hard, so its a juggling act.

This rings very true and many producers in the US are now looking at creating the correct combination of ingredients depending on the carbohyrate type and degree of osmolality (a word they use but which sounds odd). Osmo Nutrition even goes so far as to create products for men and women according to our different physiologies.  It all makes a lot of sense to me as I have always struggled to take on fuel having run better taking on very little water or fuel.  But I do realise I need to change this to perform well in races.  http://osmonutrition.com/science/science-archives/

Blisters - you are definitely well hard in my books now image I think I might have been inclined to collect MrE in that state though.

Jools - you are on fire!

Speedy - bad news but do stablise on recovery won't you?  Those ligaments tend to remember having let you down and think it fun to do it again.

Can I just share that once I have got out for today's run, I shall be up to 40 for the week - FORTY I TELL YA!  (and that is not including the 8.5 mile hike with the eldest MsEtte (age 8) up Mount Tamalpais, the hightest point in NorCal at 2,500 feet, which is right on our doorstep - I was a very proud mummy to see her manage that).

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Great news MsE!

OO I hear one of my friends was 2nd in your parkrun today.  What time did he do?  Congratulations to you and Mrs OO.  I've been with my husband donkey's years too.  We've both resigned ourselves to 'this is it for life'!!  image

GM - I can't deny it - a 20mile run is my favourite.  All is well with the world when I've done one!

TR - that would be ideal but I have a day of rugby next Sunday - son has a triangular tournament in Edinburgh AM then we're off to Murrayfield PM for Scotland v Springbok. image 

• Options

(((Blisters!)))

MsE - nice one - pic needed

OO - congrats, big achievement. Ditto Minni.

MrsP reminded me (in a slightly threatening way) that it's been the best part of 15 years - I apologised and we changed the subject image

Back in the UK, it was 39 degrees the other day, now it's chuffing wet & freezing in the Pennines. 16m along the canal this afternoon, truly horrible, bleurgh. But no more airports/guns till Jan, hurrah

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

MsE - sounds like the USA are already on the case then.

Minni - what day is long run day then ? Saturday ? how about a double day Friday and then a 20 Saturday ? or something like 12 Friday evening and 20 Saturday morning ?

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Yes, that's doable TR.

Poacher - no more guns till Jan?  You not coming to Newcastle then?!!image

• Options

10 slow miles for me tonight & 7:58mm felt like a real drag, one positive though was no need for hills as the wind has dropped to 15mph. Defo felt the hills in my legs tonight.

Jools - That sounds fast to me!

Poacher - Like you I've spent many years in Africa and warmer climates and I would ideally like to hibernate until April.

Minni - I'm in dire need of some of your staying power.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

/members/images/36105/Gallery/1456078_10151679590716637_1181603221_n.jpg

MsEtte1 with the family dog, Tosca, at the top of Mount Tam after scrambling up the short route on our hands and feet. image

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

TR - happy to send samples back to the UK if you/anyone is interested.  I am turning into quite the courier for lots of endurance sports related products which are in abundance here!  

• Options

Nice Piccy MSE

Hope you have a better time against the boks than my lot did yesterday Minni.image

25 years for me and the missus.

• Options

Nice pic MsE...

Gerard - where were you? Africa is maddening but has been under the skin for years.

Minni - in Salford this week, so hardly scared by the Toon

• Options

MsE - Superb photo!

Poacher - Indeed it is and yes it gets in the blood. I was in SA. Sadly it's going the wrong way too.

• Options

MsE - great to hear you're back with all guns blazing. You will listen to all your own advice re recovery and taking it easy won't you?

Congrats to OO and MrsOO - I'm up to 20 years next year so need to start working out what to do to celebrate. On our 10th anniversary we went mountain biking with the friends who'd been bridesmaids and ushers at our wedding - perhaps a big marathon trip away somewhere will be on the cards! image

Jools - listening to the interviews on the MT podcast with some of the elite Brits who did Frankfurt and hearing them talk about how the conditions scuppered their attempts on a PB just puts your achievement in perspective.

9 steady miles for me this morning after yesterday's XC - was taking it easy and there were a few decent inclines in there so was a bit surprised to end up with a 7:38 average pace. 

Brings me up to 44 for the week and the 18th consecutive day running so will take it nice and easy this coming week.

• Options

Good comeback weeks from both MsE and Mennania - that is a comeback PR (sorry PB) image

Continued good form fron Jools

Didn't quite extend my 2.8 miles for the week. Probably more sensible than the 58 I did after Robin Hood Marathon. 

• Options

Congrats to Mrs OO and him indoors. 15 years for me next time round (July). It takes some doing.

Good work MsE!

Nice mudlarking from Jools.

What were you doing on a service road in the dark, in high heels, Speedy?

No running for me today, as following yesterday's 15-miler my right foot was very sore, on the outside, halfway down. I was going to do a 6-miler to get to 45-odd for the week but sacked it, reasoning there is no point forcing anything at this stage. Plus, I couldn't walk on it without limping more than I usually do. It's much better tonight, though. 

Mennania - Don't go slower. Why would you?

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    10 miles for me tonight and left calf felt ok, legs feel like they are back to normal and felt fairly strong for the first time since Abo. Took their bloody time!

Nice and easy this month then I need to start sorting out a plan for my Reading HM assault as it falls at the beginning of March.

Mennania- if it feels comfy then it's ok. Still MP+60 secs for you which isn't exactly reckless is it.

Married for 10 years which I'm surprised we made it this far, don't know if we'll make it till the next. Hope so.
  • Options

Mennania - very tidy reps!
    Minni - nice ff long run.
    GM - in the run up to my HM, I did 3 weeks of 54M, then 2 taper weeks; 42M and 23M + the race. I'd certainly cut-back if you want to have a serious bash at a PB, but by how much probably depends on how hard the last few weeks have been. Good luck!
    Speedy - how unlucky can you get!
    Jools - good XC racing.
    MsE - fantastic news - the comeback continues!
    Poacher - welcome home - nice run along the canal.
    Lorenzo - good running. Enjoy the mini-taper.
    Ant - hope the foot is ok now.
    Moof - great news on the calf.
    Me and Mrs GD have been married 20 years - looking forward to the next 20 if the running doesn't kill me.
    10 steady miles d&d.