Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

PMJ- nice miles and parkrun , I'm on 1528 miles  so far this year .

but August stats : 9 miles run image

00-51-good week .

• Options

OO-51, no real plans yet. Seem to be bumbling along at about 40 miles a week and hitting mid to high 70s WAVA when the aim is probably closer to 50 miles and a few 80s WAVA. I have a handful of races booked up (half, 10k, 10 miles, 10k again) before the XC season starts.

Starting to think about a marathon to celebrate 50 years. I am 49 in a few weeks and so need a marathon early 2016 but not London as it is a bit too late (weather is warm and I seem to peak after about 10 to 12 weeks after Christmas and London is closer to 14 or 15. Any suggestions for a low key one but good course? Don't want 26.2 off road miles.

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

SJ yes Abo is available. I will be in training camp with Charleston Girl. Yet again image

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Hi BikeIt - welcome back & good luck on the job front
    Good 15 Lorenzo - fwiw most of my long runs are fuelled by the previous day's diet & just a large mug of tea pre run.
    Gul - good to get the 21 bagged ! 
    SJ - more exploits beyond we mortals ! fine work & reporting  . . . . .
    Minni/Abbers - healing wishes to you both  . . .

6 steady ones today to complete 55 for the week, 239 for August, 1521 for the year.

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Amazing stuff Slokey - those hills are killers when taken together although each is perfectly runnable in isolation.

I'm not running enough to keep stats for the month.  I'm just happy to get a few miles in at the moment.  Running is somewhat casual with no particular plan except to not run on consecutive days and to run no longer than an hour.  I find myself running my local trails over the modest hills of north of Hampshire.

I am reminded I have a place to Abo too.  It will be a training run I think if I can run that far by mid October.

I tried the ASICS Cumulus 16's today over a modest 3 miles.  The word 'plush' came to mind.  I got so carried away I ran at a pace below 8:30 a mile.  That will never do......

The international tent does sound wonderful Poacher.  In fact it is never far from my mind.  There is a lot of memories for me there.

• Options

International finish area = lie down for a bit and tend injuries. Keep staring at tiny medal.  Hobble to get beer and curry.  Employ maximum schadenfreude to watch the 9, 11 and 12 hour cut offs.  All of this in the company of tired, happy runners from around the world.

• Options

(((Minni)))
    SJ - another epic performance - well done.
    Abbers - oh no! I never realised cricket was so dangerous.
    Leslie - decorating is lethal too.
    PMJ - good parkrun. Don't know any maras that fit the bill, but let me know if you find one!
    OO - welcome back. Nice racing plans.
    Birch - good stats - some very solid training there.
    BI - hope the plans all come together.
    5 mile recovery run d&d to start a cut-back week.

• Options
    Welcome back BI.

PMJ- manchester? Rome? Or move to russian orthodox calendar and do London?

Minni, SJ, the hill talk is making me jealous!

I delayed my weekend workout to this morning so coul use a track as garmin 210 broke AGAIN. Pace ok on average but pace judgement bad! Final 200m sprint just edged inside Paula radcliffe marathon pace
  • Options

Lorenzo/Minni/Bike It...entries are open. Get your a**es in gear and sign up

Slokey we all know you really really want to do Comrades...c'mon

• Options

Leslie - bad luck on the decorating list! Hope you can get back to running asap!

PMJ - decent monthly/year to date totals there, and a good guest appearance parkrun too.

SJ - it seems cricket has become dangerous for me just this year, after umpteen seasons without many problems! Mind you, this is the first season I've played after running a spring mara a couple of weeks prior to the start of the season; the two events may be related, but I have no proof one way or the other (I was managing my quads a little down the Embankment, and it's those that have been giving me the majority of the grief).

OO-51 - reckon you stand every chance of a sub-60 10 miler, given your training and race times to date.

Well done Birch - racking up good mileage.

Stick with it BI...

Gul - how long to go? Can't be many weeks left.

Marrows - so what was the breakdown of the session?

1500 splashed in the pool. I've swum more this summer than for a long, long time. Mind you, that's not saying too much!

• Options

I really, really do Poacher. I also have a greenish light from the FD. Bit of a clash with Wasdale X though for next year which is 2 weeks later. Maybe 2016?

• Options

Multitasking obviously doesn't suit you Abbersimage My quads aren't happy today either. First day back at work and I'm shuffling like a 90 year old....

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

SJ - that was a good read. You've done some decent long distance races in the last few years.

Lorenzo - I live there and I wouldnt run that coastal marathon unless they paid me (lots). Plenty of folks seem to like it though.

Abbers - maybe you need a post VLM leg massage to get rid of all the damage and leave your legs clear for the cricket season. maybe some quad work too before the season eg hill sprints. My youngest has played adult 3rd team when they were short this summer, he managed to get enough overs in at the weekend to make sure he passed the 65over minimum to make the rankings. He plays R4SE which is the lowest league (but he is only 13), check out the bowling rankings when they get published in a few week, he should feature !

• Options

Leslie - glad that you're getting the hang of your stretches. You could always treat the decorating as cross training!

PMJ - I can highly recommend Manchester. 3-4 weeks earlier than London. Flat, fast & well organised. It's not particularly low key, but it has the benefit of a trip up North!

Slokey - another cracking race report. Great rough stuff over the fells to the sea. 

Birch - more good numbers. 

Minni - hope all the scans & painful procedures get to the root of your hip issues. 

15 summery miles in 1:52 yesterday & 4 easy miles this evening. Hope that summer continues to cling on into September. 

• Options

A few crocked folks on this thread at the mo with a variety of non-running related injuries. Hopefully things will get sorted out before too long.

TR - thanks for the recommendation re the Coastal Marathon. I've decided not to do it, partly because of some of the comments, but mainly because it's elder Lorenzito's 18th on the same day and I've had it pointed out to me (!!) that the two events aren't really compatible.

So, I'm probably going to enter the Thames Meander on 1 Nov (less than 9 weeks away!) in order to get my qualifying time for Comrades without leaving it to the last minute at London. Looks to be a nice flat route and has the added benefit of not being too far away.

On the subject of Comrades, I've hit the "ENTER" buttonFeeling slightly apprehensive already but I'm sure it's nothing compared to what I'll be feeling staring up the road at 5.30am on 31 May next year. 

Ladder intervals this morning - 1 mile warm up then 1min, 2min, 3min, 2 min, 1min, 2min, 3min, 2min, 1min with 1min recoveries. Pacing a bit erratic as some of the reps were on an uphill stretch and some going down but good to have a bit of variety. I still hate intervals though.

• Options

Lorenzo image it will hurt like hell, but you will love it

It's not really about racing, it's about the joy of sport, and about living a life outside the comfort zone - what could be better? 

• Options

marrows - nothing wrong with fast finish sprintingimage
    Abbers - I make it 4 weeks 5 days and 3 hours. And I finally got around to coughing up the entry fee last night.
    Fishy - good running again.
    Lorenzo - good luck with Comrades! But what's not to like about intervals?image
    7 slow miles this morning.

• Options

Gul - they're OK once they're finished but I don't get any pleasure during the fast bits compared to the enjoyment of being out on a long run, even on the hills or when it gets tiring at the end. I also find it frustrating that I can never seem to hit the pace in interval training that I can in a parkrun / 10K. They're a necessary evil in my book!

Poacher - thanks for the encouragment!

Eight and a bit hilly miles this morning - rather damp and misty down here.

• Options

SJ - ha, mixing cricket with HMs seems fine, but the extra damage inflicted by a full mara is something I've not contended with before. Possibly a lesson learnt, or at least a pointer to what I need to improve.

TR - I think you're right, but I've only just reached that conclusion myself as it took a little while to put 2 & 2 together! Leg strengthening/conditioning is definitely on the cards though. I've always thought I'm OK in that area, but then running maras is new to me. Well done to Jr #2 - I always keep an eye out for the end of season averages from a vanity perspective, as it's a bit of a buzz to see your name in the top 20 for your division! How has Jr #1 gone this year? Any runs? A good win in our final game meant we finished 12th in County 4 North, so stayed up after promotion last season. Despite my various niggles, and rain cancellations, my season aggregate figures were still a respectable 101.3-33-213-16 from the 11 matches I played. Reckon my cricket, like my running, is solid rather than top drawer!

Fishy - nice miles, and the forecast suggests a bit more dry, warm(ish) weather to enjoy yet.

Lorenzo - brave man! On Comrades that is, rather than the ladder intervals. Damp & misty indeed, and the M27 was back to normal too, after a blissful summer without much traffic around.

Gul - as long as you make the start line fit & healthy this time, I have a very good feeling that you're due some reward on your training investment.

• Options

abbers - I was having a go at this - 1600,1200,800,400,200, each a bit quicker than the last, with 200m walk/jog recoveries

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

To the park and back this morn for 2 x 800m, 3 x 1400m, 2 x 800m.  About 10.5 miles with the trot there and back.
    Lorenzo - although all my sessions are by feel, I did 4 x1K with a friend recently, and she did time them - they came out slower than the pace I had run a 10K a couple of weeks before, so I wouldn't worry too much about hitting paces. More importantly, big thumbs-up for the Comrades entry ! More vicarious pleasure for we mortals  . . . .

• Options
    Fishy1 wrote (see)

PMJ - I can highly recommend Manchester. 3-4 weeks earlier than London. Flat, fast & well organised. It's not particularly low key, but it has the benefit of a trip up North!

Just checked and next year (2105) Manchester is Apr 19 and London Apr 26 so just the week earlier. Trip up north is fine, I am actually up to Old Trafford for a match in 5 week's time as a friend has two season tickets so he can sell a pair when he doesn't want to go and when he does go he sells a single with a lift included.

Maybe the Cambridge Boundary Run which was my first marathon back in 1986 so will be 30 years after my first.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

PMJ - only 1 week before VLM could still be a warm day. VLM is late in April after all (and its always warm anyway).

Lorenzo - I'm glad your non participation isnt down to my non recommendation.

Abbers - nice figures there, you obviously bowl a lot of good balls and can bowl to a field. I guess that it gets harder to take wickets the higher up the leagues you go too but 16 is decent, excellent economy too. After a couple of games my youngest was promoted to open the bowling so often only bowled 5 overs (he has to come off a rest then anyway), and didnt always get to come back to be able to bowl at the middle and lower orders (they have to share the cricket around a bit still in the 3s), but in recent weeks he has been brought back on later which boosted his wicket count. The eldest scored a few 30s in the 2nds (County 3 south) early on but then had limited opportunity for a while as he was often not needed at no 6, so he played 3's for a while and bagged a 50. He played 2nds again this week but only scored a few (not out) as they had chased it down in 17 overs for 2 wickets.

• Options

PMJ - I hadn't checked next year's date. Maybe the organisers are hoping runners will enter as a London back up. Your Cambridge Boundary Marathon plan has a nice symmetry to it. I presume your Old Trafford trip is for the footy, not the cricket?

Lorenzo - nice 'evil' intervals & some hilly miles too. 

Gul - 7 more miles safely in the bank. 

Abbers/TR - all that cricket talk...I wish I understood it all!

Marrows - that is indeed a cracking track session. One of my favourites. 

Birch - very solid session. Distance & speed. 

I used to hate any sort of intervals or track repeats, but was encouraged to start by Astride, who used to post on here many years ago. They are now one of my favourite workouts. 

8.5 mp miles tonight. Exactly 62 mins & beautiful sunset

• Options

Lorenzo - congratulations on the entry and the journey that now starts.  You'll love it.  

5miles tonight at the heady speed of sub-8:30 pace.  I blame the new shoes as I certainly didn't mean to run that fast.  I came back to a young girl who had vomited in her bed.

I'm trying to pretend I'll never run intervals again

• Options

Lorenzo - are you sure you don't run your intervals as fast as a parkrun or 10k (or faster!)? If so, yes that would be frustrating or possibly just very good for your PBs! The mist from Surrey has made its way up to Norfolk this morning.
    Birch - that's a tough looking session - nice one.
    PMJ - I've looked at the Boundary run several times, but never gone for it.
    Fishy - good MP run.
    Bike It - sounds like you're struggling to keep the brakes on.
    Unusual run this morning - decided to head home and call it a day earlier than planned because the mist was making it too dangerous! Glasses misted up so took them off, but it didn't make much difference. 4 miles d&d. Might head out for a few more miles if the visibility improves in the next half an hour.

• Options

Gul - pretty sure. My parkrun PB is just under 18:48 (i.e. 6:03 pace) and 10K PB is 38:58 (6:16 pace) and most times I seem to struggle to maintain a speed of under 6:30 the reps.

I suspect it's because the motivation to run fast isn't as great when you're on your own as it is when you're surrounded by other people but short of heading up to your neck of the woods, I haven't yet found anyone who fancies an interval session before 6.00 in the morning!

Just over 4 fast-ish hilly miles this morning - went to bed later than planned last night as we had the last episode of Borgen to watch. image

• Options

Lorenzo: if I do mile reps alone I struggle to hit HM pace, when they should be 10k pace.

Gul: sounds like a sensible decision to cut that run short - I always prefer being able to see where I'm going!

Club session for me last night: 1200, 600, 400, 400, 600, 1200, 1200.  After a very lacklustre 5k on Sunday (19.37...) I was pleased to get back under 6m/m for all bar the first rep.

• Options

Marrows/Birch/Jools - a variety of interval sessions there, all good.

TR - in the vast majority of games I'll bowl through my allocation at the start, so only get to bowl at the top order, which makes wicket taking tricky. I'd much rather come on as second change and mop up from 6 down, but that's not the way we operate as a team, so I just plug away at the top, do my job, and hopefully the team (and other bowlers) benefit. Getting runs in C3S is a decent standard, and even in RD4, there aren't many 13 year olds around capable of opening the bowling, so your lads are making good progress. Another year bigger and stronger next season, and hopefully their cricketing education will continue.

Fishy - solid session that.

BI - the spring provided by new shoes can't be underestimated! Not far off needing a new pair myself, if I can get back on my feet and string a few decent training weeks together. Hope your little one is OK.

Gul - misty across the Forest this morning too, so it wasn't just you! Think it'll be burnt off pretty quickly though.

Lorenzo - can't imagine even trying to run intervals pre-dawn. All my early morning runs are decidedly pedestrian as my legs just aren't awake enough for anything else!

Another 1500m in the pool yesterday, something similar planned for today. The littlest Ms A starts school this morning, so Mrs A was also a bit emotional first thing!

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Gul - wise move - along with black ice, fog/mist bad news; no point endangering oneself  . . . 
    I see you have parted with the readies and are able to come to the Mable table  . . 
    I'll do likewise after this weekend's long run.  
    10.5 easy/steady this morn - misty here, but no visibility issues, just pleasantly cool