Options

Talkback: ASICS Super Six 2011: The Vote

Comments

• Options

Hi Ultra Sparkly Bridget and Yey! We made it! Good luck to you and Helen - It goes without saying that we would all love to get in the six. Wow, Your ultra feats are seriously impressive, its my (now not so) secret ultimate goal to do an ultra cause it must be such an incredible feeling to complete one?? I couldn't believe it when i saw your forum name in our category cause i've read your posts so many times on the forums, especially over the last couple of weeks since the competition, i had no idea it was USB at the bootcamp!! This forum posting is new to me (and a bit initimidating in these circumstances!), i read loads on here but had never posted because of that deep rooted fear that i might get completely ignored and then have to run away and hide in shame, Does everyone feel like that?!?

Rox

• Options

RR - by fully prepared I simply meant operating at a mileage already that would minimise the risk of injury using one of those schedules. So it's not a case of being fully prepared to run a marathon - it's a case of being fully prepared to START TRAINING for a marathon.

If anyone were to go into this 18 or so weeks from the marathon having only been running 25 miles per week the odds on injury are ridiculously high if you're to get to a reasonable marathon mileage.

So, it's not a case of not empathising.  You're right everyone starts somewhere - it just shouldn't be a marathon in most cases.   

• Options

Morning Rox!

You just made me image

It does take time to feel you can dip your toe in the water and post but if you pick the right threads (which can be the longstanding ones that seem to have a regular core) then you will get a welcome.  I think I dived into one where they were talking about having a soak in the bath by offering to share a bath bomb or twoimage

• Options

Hello! I am Rebecca and am in the sub 4 hour category, and similarly to Rox cannot believe I am here writing this. A few weeks ago I tried my luck and entered the competition, never thinking for one moment I would actually make it to the final shortlist. But here I am, absolutely delighted! I am a bit of a cart horse when it comes to running, but they do say slow and steady wins the race (well, maybe not wins...) so hopefully with the help of Bud or Steve I will make 4 hours.

Last year I entered London Marathon with my sister, which was an incredible experience and something we had always wanted to do. We trained our socks off, traveling up and down the country to run with each other, and giving each other motivational speeches when the snowy months were trying to get the better of us.  On the day we didn't quite make 4 hours. Exhausted at the end, we couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed, so here I am for round two. The 4 hour bee is still in my bonnet, buzzing around and pestering me to train again.  This is why this experience means so much to me. The chance to pull out all the stops to make my time would be fantastic as would the chance to keep all the other four hourers going too!

Alex and Tom were absolutely lovely, and I wish them all the best, as I know it means a lot to them too.

That is it from me, please vote, and I will try my absolute best not to let you down!

Rebecca 

• Options

Moraghan has  good point that you need a base of miles to contemplate running a marathon, if you haven't got the base then you shouldn't be running a marathon yet and it doesn't matter how good you are its the same base for all, about 30 -35 miles per week over 5 or so runs. Too many people believe that only a marathon is worth running ignoring the shorter distances which a) can be run on less training b) give you valuable experiece. Haile Gebriselassie didn't start off by running marathons.

All of this is not to say of course that you can't run a marathon of fairly minimal training and very limited running experience, I am indeed living proof of that having run my first marathon 6 months after I started running with a longest run of 21K, I finished in 3-43 and it hurt. So yes it can be done but it might not be very pretty!

Anyway I have cast my votes and good luck to you all.

• Options

oh. This is interesting. 30-35 miles per week and 5 runs as a base before even starting. I'd have to say that rules me out. But, at the risk of losing votes, I'm going to stick my neck out and say I don't do anywhere near that mileage and reading what others have said above, it feels like I'm starting from the lowest base of all.

However, for me, this is about understanding what a schedule and coaching can do. I've been running for about 10 years, but always sociably and never at the levels you guys are suggesting. I've done one 1/2 marathon (1:33) and know that doing a full marathon is much more than simply doubling the effort of a half. I'm doing this to find out if a reasonably fit person (I run, swim and cycle every week and have a few triathlons under by belt) can, in 18 weeks of coaching, improve to the level of marathon distance. To me, this is the point of the competition - if you don't believe it can be done, I guess there's no point in voting for me. But, if you're not so sure ...or want to see me suffer trying, you know what to do image 

• Options
    It will be interesting to see how many and who will toe the start line next year! Good luck to you all and please respect the mara distance.
  • Options

( Running Rox Sub 4:15)

Hi Paul - congratulations, its lovely to see you here image good luck with the votes - i'm sure there's many out here in the same position as you who would like to see whether it can be done and hear about the journey. Rox

• Options
    Hello Guys and Girls - just like you - I  cannot quite fully believe yet I've made it that far in the competition! Just like Roxy, I've been a frequent visitor and reader on the forum but never really posted anything - well that's about to change as I like writing and sharing information with the like minded people. As for the current mileage - at the moment its between 21-30 miles per week (does the treadmill count in adverse weather??). Having said that, last week was not very productive as have been snowed in so frankly and shamefully not done much in terms of running but have been practcing the exercises we were shown at the bootcamp - one legged squats at the wall and the plank, I am also taking pilates class a couple of times a week as have been advised by the physio to work on my core muscles as they need serious strengthening after having a baby. I am however fully prepared to put in as much time and effort as required and more!!
  • Options

After hearing the good news that I have been shortlisted I simply could not sit still and decided to introduce myself to all of you. My name is Maria, I am 28 and currently live in Glasgow with my husband Andrew and our little son Allan who has recently turned 6 months J  I’ve always enjoyed being outdoors and spent most summers hiking with my family and friends. I was born and grew up in Russia where, unfortunately, you can hardly see anyone run on the streets let alone be a member of a running club. You can imagine how surprised I was when I arrived to Glasgow and saw groups of people running everywhere regardless of the weather. A friend of mine invited me to run the annual Women’s 10k in Bellahouston Park and I decided to give it a go – and I loved it. The moment I crossed the finish line I knew I want to do it again, I was hooked. Through the years I ran quite a lot of 5k & 10k races and a couple of half marathons and although I showed reasonably good results I was never that interested in numbers – I simply ran for my own pleasure. I regret now not joining the running club then as although I enjoyed running on my own I had no idea of proper warm up or stretching exercises or how to train properly throughout the year. I joined a triathlon club last year and ashamed to say I have only been attending running and swimming sessions as I do not yet own a bike! I have however been enjoying the running sessions a lot and I think it has improved my running somewhat. When I became pregnant I tried to stay active until the end but this proved to be harder than I ever imagined as by about 6 months I felt too heavy to run so I swapped running for walking and occasional swimming. I started exercising again when Allan was about 4 months old. Almost 9 months without running – I felt fat and so unfit I could cry but I persisted with running when I could – mostly early mornings and late evenings and now I don’t feel so bad at all. Running is an important ‘me time’ now, this is my way of keeping sane. Super Six project came just in time as if I did not have a project to concentrate on I would simply go mad! I love my son and think it is important to stay at home with him for at least another 6 months until he is old enough to go to the nursery but it is also important to have some other things other than family life to look forward to. I spend most days taking Allan to a variety of baby classes and spend time with other mummies drinking teas and coffees occasionally eating chocolate cakes! talking about baby stuff etc. A lot of them talk about their lost pre-pregnancy figures but some seem to be reluctant or perhaps just lazy to do any exercise at all basing it on a simple tale that it is impossible to ever look as good as they used to. In my opinion it’s only a matter of time and hard/consistent work. I ran my first after pregnancy 10k in the first snow a few weeks ago – it was great fun and my time wasn’t as bad as I expected it to be! Just realised I’ve written quite a lot and those of you reading it are probable getting quite bored! Although I have never run a marathon yet I am really looking forward to the challenge and the chance to prove to myself that I can come back from having a baby and be fit enough to run a marathon. This project seems to be an amazing opportunity and I look forward to learning from professionals and sharing it all with you on the forum, should I be lucky enough to be selected to be one of the Super Six!!

Thanks for listening!

Please vote for me J  ( Maria – UpsyDaisy)

• Options

Training for my 1st marathon was shocking; I was young and naive. I'd run a half and had raced over 5 miles many times. I neglected my long run in training maxing out at 13 miles a couple of times (35 miles per week). Come marathon day, I started the agonising run/walk from 14 miles. I made it round, but the pain was extreme. There was no position or stretch at the end that stopped any part of my legs hurting.

My point: a determined person can get round, no matter whether they have a solid base of training or not. The Super Sixers will have the support of the Asics Team and a good schedule to follow. Recovery may/will be longer and harder. Moraghan is right about injuries though: training niggles should be looked at quickly before they turn into something major.  

To say the Super Sixers I met in Birmingham were determined would be an understatement.

I would also hope that the organisers won't have put any of the shortlist in danger of hurting themselves by placing them in a category they are unsuitable for. Having the confidence of Bud and Steve behind us should give voters the confidence to vote for any one of us.

• Options
    Hello Guys and Girls - just like you - I  cannot quite fully believe yet I've made it that far in the competition! Just like Roxy, I've been a frequent visitor and reader on the forum but never really posted anything - well that's about to change as I like writing and sharing information with the like minded people. As for the current mileage - at the moment its between 21-30 miles per week (does the treadmill count in adverse weather??). Having said that, last week was not very productive as have been snowed in so frankly and shamefully not done much in terms of running but have been practcing the exercises we were shown at the bootcamp - one legged squats at the wall and the plank, I am also taking pilates class a couple of times a week as have been advised by the physio to work on my core muscles as they need serious strengthening after having a baby. I am however fully prepared to put in as much time and effort as required and more!!
  • Options

DD - well clearly I am at the bottom end of what you and Moraghan would consider to be a good base, however having maintained this sort of average mileage for a couple of years and run some miles virtually every week (except for a week on Malta in a heatwave when the hotel tready was broken) I would consider it to be a pretty solid base.  I also appear to be mechanically pretty good as I have no injury record despite doing mad things like 2 off-road marathons in the space of 6 days.

If we are using the RW schedules then from my point of view the initial weekly mileage is going to be lower than usual.  The only real difference is that I will be running between Christmas and New Year this year.

• Options

Good morning all!

I am chuffed to bits to have been selected for the sub 3:30 category. It was lovely to meet all the other contenders on the chilly track at the weekend – and good luck to you all in your future running!

I'll try keep my intro brief…

I took up running three years ago just to stay healthy, and, well, just got hooked.

I work in central London and, like so many of us, have a really busy job and life, but I strongly believe that you can fit running and achieving goals, like marathons, and still thrive in busy job and life.

My busy lifestyle is by no means unique. It can be hard to be fit and healthy, social and happy, as well as work long hours in and be successful in your career.

This is what I aim to prove by completing Paris with the SuperSix. I am positive that with RW, Asics and forumites' help, we can show that it is possible to work hard, train effectively, and achieve anything you put your mind to.Running is an escape from the every day stress and business of work and life – I know you'll understand. I avoid the tube by running or cycling to and from work – it's just over 7 miles. At the moment it's, um, fresh, to say the least! But always the best way to start the day.I love being outdoors, whatever the weather, and seeing the sights of London, other runners, cyclists, and watching the world go by whilst I enjoy my run. I always take my trainers on holiday and go for an early morning run to see my destination before the day has got started – this way I saw St Peters Square in Venice at sunrise and empty of people – beautiful.

I have a dream to complete the Marathon Majors before I am 35, and my Paris 2011 time will mean I can qualify for so many of them – I haven't got places in any yet, despite a couple of years of trying, and this year was dabbling in triathlon (the Vitruvian – much fun!) around the same time as Berlin.

If you have any questions, just let me know – I'll more than happily talk about running for hours!

(So much for brevity!)

• Options

After hearing the good news that I have been shortlisted I simply could not sit still and decided to introduce myself to all of you. My name is Maria, I am 28 and currently live in Glasgow with my husband Andrew and our little son Allan who has recently turned 6 months J  I’ve always enjoyed being outdoors and spent most summers hiking with my family and friends. I was born and grew up in Russia where, unfortunately, you can hardly see anyone run on the streets let alone be a member of a running club. You can imagine how surprised I was when I arrived to Glasgow and saw groups of people running everywhere regardless of the weather. A friend of mine invited me to run the annual Women’s 10k in Bellahouston Park and I decided to give it a go – and I loved it. The moment I crossed the finish line I knew I want to do it again, I was hooked. Through the years I ran quite a lot of 5k & 10k races and a couple of half marathons and although I showed reasonably good results I was never that interested in numbers – I simply ran for my own pleasure. I regret now not joining the running club then as although I enjoyed running on my own I had no idea of proper warm up or stretching exercises or how to train properly throughout the year. I joined a triathlon club last year and ashamed to say I have only been attending running and swimming sessions as I do not yet own a bike! I have however been enjoying the running sessions a lot and I think it has improved my running somewhat. When I became pregnant I tried to stay active until the end but this proved to be harder than I ever imagined as by about 6 months I felt too heavy to run so I swapped running for walking and occasional swimming. I started exercising again when Allan was about 4 months old. Almost 9 months without running – I felt fat and so unfit I could cry but I persisted with running when I could – mostly early mornings and late evenings and now I don’t feel so bad at all. Running is an important ‘me time’ now, this is my way of keeping sane. Super Six project came just in time as if I did not have a project to concentrate on I would simply go mad! I love my son and think it is important to stay at home with him for at least another 6 months until he is old enough to go to the nursery but it is also important to have some other things other than family life to look forward to. I spend most days taking Allan to a variety of baby classes and spend time with other mummies drinking teas and coffees occasionally eating chocolate cakes! talking about baby stuff etc. A lot of them talk about their lost pre-pregnancy figures but some seem to be reluctant or perhaps just lazy to do any exercise at all basing it on a simple tale that it is impossible to ever look as good as they used to. In my opinion it’s only a matter of time and hard/consistent work. I ran my first after pregnancy 10k in the first snow a few weeks ago – it was great fun and my time wasn’t as bad as I expected it to be! Just realised I’ve written quite a lot and those of you reading it are probable getting quite bored! Although I have never run a marathon yet I am really looking forward to the challenge and the chance to prove to myself that I can come back from having a baby and be fit enough to run a marathon. This project seems to be an amazing opportunity and I look forward to learning from professionals and sharing it all with you on the forum, should I be lucky enough to be selected to be one of the Super Six!!

Thanks for listening!

• Options
    Also, I promise to find a suitable pic this weekend!
  • Options

(Running Rox Sub 4:15)

Hi Moraghan & Dubai Dave - points taken and well respected. For my sake I seriously hope though that it is possible to enter into a mara training schedule and make the start line from a lower base mileage than 35pw because this is a serious committed target for me. I have been working really hard over the last couple of weeks (despite treacherous conditions) to increase my training in preparation; if i don't make the six i will be entering a mara and following the training schedule of the sixer that does!. In ten short months i have completed and continue to race over a whole range of shorter distances and varied terrain and will continue to do so as i love the variety in each individual challenge but i am determined to add the hallowed mara to my list of "never thought possibles" and learn as much as humanly possible along the way from both the pro's and you guys on here.

Rox

• Options
  • Options

Thanks for listening!

• Options
    <!--[if gte mso 9]> <w:LsdException Lock
  • Options
    Moraghan wrote (see)

I wouldn't vote for anyone who isn't regularly doing at the very, very least 35m+ and running 5 times a week.  It's a shame this wasn't a minimum requirement in the first place. 

It's much more rewarding and enlightening watching a committed and fully prepared runner go through the training, otherwise it'll be like watching an ice statue melt.

I can see where somebody who is running regular marathon's with good times, can be attaining this kind of mileage, but I think it's a little unfair to expect  people who are looking at 4:00 to 5:00 marathons for the first time or who are moving up from half-marathons to be running so much at present when not on a marathon training plan. 

Whilst following the Garmin schedules I was running approx 35 miles per week in the summer and managed to complete my second marathon in Sept with an improvement on my PB from 5:02 to 4:26.  To fill the gap until the Spring marathon's I have since been following the sub-2hr Half Marathon schedule and the mileage peaks at about 30 miles per week, but averages 20 miles. Do you think that anyone following these plans is wrong to be running such limited mileage ?

I couldn't agree with you more in the pleasure and inspiration that can be found in watching people who are committed and prepared to work towards these goals.  I was lucky enough to be picked for the bootcamp and was running in Group B, with, Paul, Alex, Rebecca, Tom, Bridget, Helen and Rox and am not surprised at all in RW's choice because all of these people have these qualities and have already shown themselves capable of improving by themselves.  So who knows how much better they will do with the benefits of  the Super-six package behind them.

Good Luck everybody!image

• Options
  • Options

Hello folks,

We're currently having problems with the Sub-3:15 vote page. Apologies for the inconvenience - we're working on it and will let you know as soon as it's fixed.

Alice

• Options
    Hello All, I just want to start by saying how excited and privileged I feel to have made it to this stage of proceedings and might I say- in great company! It was fantastic meeting the other hopefully on saturday and what a talented and friendly bunch! I never really envisaged reaching the short list but seen as I am here I’d like make a case for myself and show that I may actually be worth of a vote or two… The Start of something special-Turning 30 last May, I decided that it was more than time to up my game and begin to compete at full marathon distance. Having thought long and hard, I desperately hoped that my first marathon would be a big one, however; having received my VLM reject letter I was beginning to think that maybe my marathon debut would have to be a slightly more ‘low key’ affair... It turns out I may have been wrong... With a successful Super 6 application and a massive smile I may just get that chance break my marathon duck at Europe’s biggest and most beautiful after all. Given this chance, I certainly have the passion and dedication to succeed in running a solid sub 3.30 marathon come the 10th of April.  A proven track record-I’ve now competed in numerous half marathons and extreme trail events, each one proving more demanding or faster than the last. Consistently I have achieved my ever increasing aspirations through the use of a pretty unscientific regime of running and cycling as hard and as often as possible. Having reached a reasonable level of running so far (current PB for half marathon- 1.34.15), I am looking to replace my ‘rough and ready’ approach to take my training to new levels. The opportunity to train with Steve, Bud and the ASICS pro team would be an absolute dream and would be a fantastic opportunity to really broaden my capabilities as a runner. A team runner-Though I predominantly train alone and find running a very personal passion, I almost always compete as part of a team. By this I really mean, running for charities, running with friends or with my brothers or even just running in a particular outfit to engage with supporters (mankini or Tutu!!). As part of the super 6, team effort would be more significant that ever before. With the support of fellow 6ers, the pro team and of course yourselves the gains are immeasurable. In return I pledge total dedication throughout and to document my journey each and every step of the way.  Dedication, dedication, dedication-As mentioned I aim to bring bucket loads of hard work, dedication and commitment to the super 6. I am passionate about running whatever the conditions, endure frequent cold baths and never take lifts resulting in walking all 4 flights of stairs in my apartment block numerous time per day all in order to get that little edge! Maybe I’m a bit mad, I’d like to think passionate. Well, enough of my ratings... I really hope that you see how much I want this in what you read and that you feel I may be a worth candidate for this chance of a lifetime. Please post any questions you may have and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can! Thanks for reading and voting! Anthony aka Baldspeed
  • Options
    Hi all, just checkig back on how the thread is progressing... Is it me or have my posts multiplied themselves somehow?? I am very sorry about that - I only pressed the send button once, promise!
  • Options

Hi guys in answer to morgan my average weekly milage at the mo is about 50-60 miles but that peeks at around 70+ during during the later part of schedules.

• Options

Dear Maria

I think you are fab and really deserve to be one of the chosen ones.

You have certainly got my vote.

Good luck

Vivien

• Options

I was so pleased to see you got through bootcamp. It was really nice to meet you.

Good luck

Jill

• Options

Congratulations to everyone that got through I've been busy voting image 

Bit disappointed that I haven't yet been told that I didn't get through but I wish all of those that did, all the best and my fingers are crossed.

Enjoy

Sarah x