Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options

So after my run and my HR being really high I've been monitoring it closely during cycles - todays ride it kept going up to zone 5 but I didn't feel like I was about to keel over.

Turns out garmin had updated and reset all my training zones. Sorted now and feel slightly less unfit!

• Options

Went into Newcastle this afternoon for sushi with the wife. She suggested we go and have a look in Start Triathlon to see if there was anything little I wanted extra for my birthday which is next weekend. Ended up walking out with a 2XU T:2 wetsuit. Bring on some warmer weather!

• Options

Nawww love wifie! Need to redefine little lol - you need to make her brekkie in bed now image

• Options

DB, its a good wetie , I got one 2 yrs ago and not had any probs with it. image

• Options

The wife has one too which she's been happy with. They were on sale at a good price so she decided it'd be daft not to buy one now. Got a new one for about a tenner more than I've seen ex-rental T:2s up for online

• Options

I found the T:2 made me too buoyant image so I got an Orca which does the job - well done on the bargain image

• Options

I am still using my ex-rental Orca that I got 3 years ago, not decided if I need/want to replace it, as it is still OK and it curves in all the right places for me which is important unless of course I try it on and find that my shape has changed with the lack of weight loss.

Due to the awful weather I decided to turbo and did 1:45 in Z2, kept the cadence to 80 or slightly above. The speed seemed slow but the Garmin effect figure was 3.5 which means improving and I feel exercised but not knackered. I am hoping that long turbo rides are similar to long slow runs in that you can be slower than race speed but the endurance and aerobic side are worked enough. I am now getting bored of being indoors riding, not that it was helped by the MP3 player running out of battery and having to hop off the bike and turn the radio on.

• Options

Steady - turbo speed bears no resemblance at all to what you might ride at outside but spending that time in the right HR zone should give you a good work out and as there's no free wheeling or stopping at junctions etc is probably worth more than the equivalent time on the road.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

I was supposed to have lost weight so I could justify a new fancy wetsuitimage but I haven't lost any yet.

well done steady on the biking

I am having the day off as I am feeling a bit under the weather. So that is my long run lost, but I have had a good running week so not to worry. (apart from that little marathon coming up in April, but I know I can build up the long walk/runs quicker than if it was just constant running without the injury risk.

• Options

60min Z2 run done. A bit chilly image

• Options

Good job Mrs D! Today's weather has been rain, rain, rain!!  Apparently it's going to be chilly tomorrow for my run image

• Options

Nothing but a swim done for me today. Started reading the Swim Smooth book on my Kindle earlier and spent some time tonight trying to identify the many ways in which my stroke is rubbish. Now going to pick out some drills for next week to work on breathing (lifting my head too high currently), kicking (I seem to stick to 2 kicks per stroke cycle) and my body positioning.

• Options

10mile run this morning has resulted in a runny nose all day, hopefully not got a cold. The continuing scrotal issue is still with us, I foolishly opted against the vas ritual to my detriment, fellas don't fall into the lack of lube trap when choosing I'll fitting running tights

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Well, I blew all weekend's training on Friday night. Got invited to a house warming party and got bit carried away, coming back home about 3/4am. Felt queezy all day so no long run and on Sunday I had friend's around that I haven't seen for awhile.

Monday is usually a rest day but not this week as need to get back in it.

Good training everyone!

• Options

evening

JP - not sure what to say so I won't comment!

back to swimming tonight

• Options

JP ((((((hugs))))))))

• Options

Nawww is that a man hug Cake?  Runmute this morning image enjoying the training not sure husband enjoyed the 4:50 alarm image

• Options

Ran 4.5 miles tonight, stayed in Z2 all the way and felt really good for a change,.Avg 10'.04" min/mile, the 3 middle miles were all sub 9'30" avg was up because I faffed about with my head torch trying to get it to stay on. Fingers crossed things are getting back to normal again.image

JP, there is a thread on here somewhere about blokes undercarriage management  image

There is also one for the ladies too image

I'll see if I can bounce it back up.

• Options

Just bumped the the thread up ladied,  "how to prevent a massacre in the lady garden"  image

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

3 miles steady run tonight. Will try for a morning swim again tomorrow.

Wanna buy swim smooth and don fink half books now but bit skint atm. Will ask bf. image

Will also need to work out my hr zones. I wanna run at Z2 too.image

• Options

Rest day for me, but annoyingly looks like I'll have a few more coming up. In fact even though I'm a bloke, if I've still got these pains in another day or so I think I'll actually have to go and see a doctor.

Got the Swim Smooth and Fink Half books on my Kindle. Figured downloading them from Amazon isn't really spending any money is it. Want to get the Swim Smooth dvds at some point too, though the book has already helped, and my own ideas of what I need to work on seem to match up nicely with the corrective plan for "Arnie" type swimmers, so once these aches and pains do one I'll make a start on the suggested drills

• Options

DB - what is the fink half book like?

swimming was hard tonight - but I was in a lane with 6 other people that are way faster than me so keeping up was hard work!

on a course tomorrow so no lessons image I need a day or two away from school and normal routines, it is getting me down. Only a one day course but better than nothing

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Fail on the swim again. Morning's just aren't my thing. But I'll keep trying. Have last of my gym appointments tonight though didn't go last week at all. Might go for a swim tonight instead.

• Options

Recovery run last night for me after a very painful circuits class on the weekend. Popped out with the missus which was nice as we had a nice steady 5K.Love running 1-2 minutes slower per mile, just feels so easy.

• Options

Finks half book is the same as his IM book but the last five chapters are removed image

The sack is back to full fitness thanks to savlon and loose fitting trousers. thanks for the good vibes all and thanks Cake for a well needed Cake hug image

Cycled to work this morning and still can't feel my toes, may invest in some waterproof booties later, had a few comments about all my wet kit being hung all over any available radiator in the workplace, bah

• Options

I've read the 1/2 book and will be putting it into practice - it includes three different 16 week training plans though if you want to do the competitive plan and haven't built up to the amount of hours required you'd be looking at 24 weeks i.e. 1st 4 wks of the 'just finish' followed by 1st 4 wks of the 'inter' and then start the competitive.

The balance seems to be better in terms of less swimming than the IM plans. Lots of z2 but then 8 weeks of speed/threshold work z3/4 and a well explained taper.

I imagine there are lots of opinions flying around but given the success of athletes who have followed these plans and been coached then even if it isn't perfect it must be a pretty good starting point.

Anyway - today there is a z2 run planned and a swim session.

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Did you all work out your HR zones from the Fink book?

• Options

The Fink zones are:

z1 75%

z2 75-85%

z3 85-90%

z4 95%

This website will work them out: http://www.mile141.co.uk/triathlon/calculator.aspx 

You need to know your max HR and resting HR.  

If using Garmin connect to set up the zones on your device make sure you use the BPM edit rather than the %HRR as %HRR is not the same as %Max HR. 

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Thanks EcoSeal.

What test did you used to calculate max HR?

• Options

Attempted to do a swim threshold test thingy this morning, however my attempts at FC are too feeble for my Garmin to figure out what I'm up to. That and I definitely on did lengths in pairs of two but my distance ended up as 925. I feel I may have to redo this one.

Success though as braved snazzy university pool that I've never been to before and it's very nice and there is room to swim image

Failed on that front though as didn't want one that mentioned triathlon on it because I'm so rubbish and in my panic ended up with none in the bag. Not fun swimming with a face full of hair. (Pony tail band can only do so much)

I think braving new places to train is on a par with the actual races in terms of taking me out of my comfort zone. I really do need HTFU.

Swim tomorrow eve, park run on Sunday and then I'm back in proper training, got a long way to go to catch up with you guys.