Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Options
    Yeah well done to JR & Lisa

seems hardly worth putting mine up now Lol

WK8-R1 (28 min run) completedimage
  • Options

Well done Kev, better than mine image

WK2-R3 - Completed -  I know not a big deal but it was kind of a big week for me, I did the 5k with B2B, C25K week 2 x 3 repeats and a Pilates Class, first time I have run 4 days in a week......I will get there just a bit slower than the rest of you!

• Options
    I'll bet thats still more than I did, so good on you mummysaurus;)
  • Options

330 - I know!! The best record I can find is just over 188 miles! image

Well done Kev! How did the 28 minutes feel?

Well done Mummysaurus! That IS a big deal, thats a big week! image

• Options
    B2b,

Funny you should ask that because I have noticed I get tired really early into a run but I woul say on average a mile in I seem to get an energy boost from somewhere and that keeps me going.

as I dont eat before the run, im wondering if my body is dipping into fat stores and using that for energy?

But seems to work whatever it isimage
  • Options

Well done to both JR and Lisa – I had already seen you result Lisa as I checked the results to see how a guy called Samir had fared – he had been posting claims about how good he was going to be and what he was going to do as he was 18. Understandably a lot of forumites were all over him due to his claims and only been training 8 months or so!!!  Well he ran and he did 80:23 so not a bad debut for a cocky kid!!!

Well done Mummysaurus for keeping it going, you have a great coach in B2B but you already know that!!!

Kevin also still going great guns and injury free touch wood.

3:30 as B2B said sometimes that just happens, I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat if I sit down at the weekend!! 

That marathon WR is amazing (although did raise an interesting debate on Facebook about the Kenyan runners, not to be honest about the runners themselves, but more the agents and coaches in the background.  The whole Lance Armstrong thing has left a lot of questions markets.

100 miles  in 11:59 if I calculated that correctly equates to 7:20 mm wow.

Me? I had the intention of doing my 10 mile long run  on Saturday morning but overslept and decided to keep it to 6 miles and do the longer one on Sunday. Felt pretty good when I got out and, thanks to a police roadblock closing the roads round our way due to a double stabbing, (two guys down from London had a fight by all accounts)  I did 8 miles instead. Of course, I should have gone on and done the remaining two and got my 10 out the way but no I ended it there and was faced with 10 Sunday morning instead.

Never felt less like running when I woke Sunday morning, nearly bottled it and decided pretty much, because I had done 8 the previous day that I would cut it down to 5.  12 miles later I felt brilliant just kept plugging away. 

This morning, I did 4, with the last two miles a lot faster than I expected – happy with that

• Options

well done Grendel thats brilliant! Yep correct on the 7:20mm, nuts eh?! The thing that got me though was it was during a 24hr challenge and they dropped out the moment they broke the 100 mile record. They still had 12 hours left, why stop?! I know that they were there to break the record but still its a 24hr. Am I looking at this the wrong way? Amazing that the record was broken but I thought the idea was to achieve the most that you can in 24hrs? Im not trying to take anything away from them but doesnt that technically mean they didnt finish?

• Options

Then to me it isn't a world record - it was a DNF. How can you set an official world record  if you don't finish the race? It would be like Usain Bolt being given a 100 metre world record in a 200 metre race!!

• Options

Interesting isnt it? Well the 24hr rules are slightly different to a "normal" race as it is based on having 24hrs to complete as much as you can. So technically you can do what you like within the 24hrs, run, eat, sleep. I guess its not really a DNF more of a "dropped before finish" situation.

So whats your opinions peeps? If you broke lets say your 5k PB during a longer run would you/could you count it as a 5k PB?

• Options

lol short but sweet answer

• Options

My fastest 20 was set during a marathon, my fastest 10 during a half and my fastest 5K during a 5 mile, but these aren't my PBs. SO it was a short answer.

• Options

So more of a nod towards, "man I was hauling that day!" rather than a PB. Sometimes makes you want to stop and claim it ha ha ha

• Options

I guess its the same as me trying to claim 5 marathons when I have only run 1 marathon but 2 ultras

• Options

330 maybe your run felt tough because your body was feeling ill or tired?

I could never imagine runner 10 laps let alone more than 400!! My mental attitude would give up before my body would!

Kevin and Mummysaurus your runs are still a great effort!! I always seem to start off feeling really tired, it usually takes me a couple of miles to start feeling energetic, weird?

Well done Grendel on persevering!

B2B def not a PB! My so called shorter PBs have been achieved during my longer runs as Grendel has said but they are not my PBs, the full distance is!

As for the bling...

/members/images/287077/Gallery/Ealing_Half.jpg

• Options
    WOW!!

Thats really nice Lisaimage
  • Options
    /members/images/329046/Gallery/006_(640x356).jpg

Can't compete with Lisa's medal image No pb for me i'm afraid but I ran to my current level and now have the confidence to hopefully go a little quicker than last year for the Colyton Fiver next month.

• Options

330….don’t fret over the 7 miler, sounds like you were running when under the weather and it clearly took it out of you. Glad you’re feeling better and hope todays run went well.

B2B….100 miles….round a track. The distance is amazing but that must be one run that’s got to be run in your mind as well as your feet. Seriously impressive pace over such a long distance.

Kevin, you have come a long way, 28 minutes is some time to be running, got a 5k near you? As for the sudden surge of energy after a mile, I think it’s safe to say most of us take a while to warm up and settle down to a rhythm. There are days when I only really get into it after two or three miles, which is rather annoying if I’m on a short run.

Mummysaurus, running 4 days in a week is fantastic. One of my running goals is to run more days in a week than not and you’ve won 4-3 there! Good on you.

Grendel, some impressive mileage being logged again by yourself. As for the 100 mile record break, i’m inclined to agree with you guys. They didn’t finish the race they entered. Its like me claiming a 5k pb within a 10k run, just not right.  I know it’s a different scenario but theres another thread on here regarding a woman who won a recent marathon despite only being entered in the half. She got halfway, realised she was leading woman and carried on, winning the full marathon. I don’t agree with that result either as I think nobody else was running against her, or worrying about her as they ran their race. Tactics play a part in races and in my opinion she shouldn’t have been allowed to carry on.

Just scanned down to the next question and another short and sweet answer from me…NO. For a 5k pb, run a 5k, end of.

• Options

Lisa - That's one of the best medals I have seen for a half !!

Agree with the PB thing guys

Thanks feel better about Saturday now. Broke my 50 target for month. But didn't get out today. Going to target 80 for October - like watching the % on the RW v Fetchies thing !!

Watching Berlin now and going to enjoy it always make me want to pull the trainers on !!

• Options

Nice bling folks! image Well done again! I agree, thats a great medal for a half! 

Totally agree with you guys, just thought it was an interesting thing to bring up. I too believe that the distance you are running at the time is the only one that counts!

The 24hr is a strange beast, if you were fast enough and fortunate enough, you could run say 15 hours of it and then just sit back and watch the rest and still win! Its an entirly different concept that im trying to wrap my head around. Come September next year, I for one wont be stopping till that timer says 24:00:1!! 

Well....might do a victory lap! You know....like you doimageimage

The guy who won this year was just shy of 155 miles!!! image 620 laps!!! BAZAR!!

Right onto tonights run!

In short....most of it sucked!!

Shockingly slow death shuffle for 11 miles. I guess the 2 fast 10s last week maybe had something to do with it.

Oh well, I didnt get into this ultra stuff because it was easy image 

In other news I now have a bike! image I can now head off and map some new long trails for when im back to 15s and 20s yay!!

Im also going to try some "brick" training (2 disciplines in the same session) as well just to really give the legs a thrashing! 

2013 - 563.3

• Options

I was just reading about brick training then realised I cycled yesterday for the first time in about 5 years.....thats why im so slow today!!! 

• Options

Those quick 10's probably didn;t help your cause B2B, but the cycling will help you no end. I cycle every day to work, sometimes fast, sometimes just cruising along. I only have a 4 1/2 mile commute, just enough to keep warm. I don't get out much other than that but have two nice loops, one 14 miles and one 35. I probably do around 2000 miles a year. I also take part in what's known as SCR's (silly commuter races). Basically, you come across another commuter travelling in the same direction and you race (with safety in mind, no red light jumping!). There is a points system for overtaking, 1 for a mountain bike, 2 for a hybrid and 3 for a roadie, something like that. Most races are over in seconds although one day I did go 6 miles out of my way to beat a road bike on my hybrid. It started with four of us in a line before the final two battled it out. I came home drenched in sweat. People even log these points on a forum and compete, much like our monthly challenge on here for an annual award. The bike will exercise different muscles than running and is a great, non impact cross training session. You get to see so much of the Great British countryside too. I pop my garmin on my handlebars with a bracket and map out routes. image

Right, this mornings run, a nice gentle 2 miles in 20 minutes. A few aches and pains from Sunday but they came and went. Just had a real good stretch and feeling good. 

October - 2.01

2013 - 442.27

• Options

JR pardon my ignorance but what a Hybrid bike ?

• Options

330, hybrids are basically a mix of a road bike, mountain bike and tourer. They have mountain bike frame geometry to give them strength, slim road like tyres (mine are 25mm) making them quicker and easier on the road than a mountain bike and fixtures to enable them to carry panniers like a touring bike. They're great all purpose bikes suitable for road and trail and therefore very popular with commuters. 

• Options

+ 1 for Hyrbrid Bike - I just have a bike, if it was a cat it would be a moggy!!!

Nice medal Lisa.

OH dropped it on me yesterday she would be workling today which always throws my runs out a bit as she wanted to get up earlier than she normally does - had to do 5 instead of 6. Never mind 5 is almost as good as 6 and it shows that on the days she works I can actually do 5 miles rather than 4 if I get my ar*e out the door.

• Options

Me again, just noticed entries were open for the Halstead marathon, I am now the proud owner of an entry for the Halstead marathon.

• Options

Nice medal Lisa and nice shirt JR and thanks for the encouragement image Love the idea of the SCR's I only have to go about 1 1/2 miles to work and it's all down hill, maybe I should think about a bike! it would have to be a 3 wheeler though as I have some ear/bike/balance issues..........

330 - congrats on the 50 for the month and good luck for October I might try for 50K but not miles.

Grendel - I am sure your moggy is grand......Well done on your 5 and fantastic news on your marathon place........

B2B I will be there to cheer you home next September image
    Enjoy your bike, but try to save some legs for our 5k tonight

• Options

Grendel - its hard work when the other half just doesn't understand, I know the feeling only too well mate

Oh Well its all go now on the training front - what day is it and have you broken the news yet ?

Thanks for explanation JR - had a bike years ago to get to and from work was good,

Thank Mummysuarus good luck with the 50k is that all in one go ?

• Options

330 - LOL Oh I wish..........nope just little 3 & 5k chunks for me