Options

sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

Comments

• Options
    WP.. the sitting down bike is good for maintaining while supporting back.
    PC... I think I prefer running in green places with beautiful views to high bills.
    Just found out that some of the tickets for Sat night still have not been sold... was really hoping to be able to just concentrate on running this week, now have to do final ticket selling onslaught aswell - and find shoes!
    Sod it.. going to do some hills.
    Are hills really going to do me the same good as speedwork?
  • Options
    hi guys.

I'm adam - bit of background, i'm 46min - 10k and 1.46 half marathon.

Looking through this i'm gonna drop a bit of a bomb. Those who are currently struggling to break 1.55 at half distance, i think are going to struggle with breaking 4 hours. That is my goal and i'm not particularly confident with my times.

Clearly you need to get the long runs in but i would be more focussed on speedwork to get your cruising speed up, i reckon by d-day you need to be closer to 1.50 for half.

Cheers and happy training
  • Options
    bntm,yeah i know about the orange.thats why i'm planning to carry my own sis juice +gels and probably have a bottle waiting for me at mile 23 with the lovely mrs p!
    adam you are right about being able to do 1.50 for the half to do sub 4,that's what all the books say.but the point of training ois to get quicker/stronger/more endurance,and the pace of imporement can be startling,especially for runners who are in either-quite good shape and just haven't done the distance,cos there's still time to do the longer runs,or b novices who are improving at a swift pace from a low base.i also can affirm that there is a tendency to go off faster than you wuld like in races and the crowd does pull you along a bit.but bottom line is accurate,you need to be able to do a 1.50 half or better by 18th april.
    and that's more of a minimum necessary standard than a guarantee: you have to run the second half too ;-).and conditions as we found out last year can take one from being confident of a 4.10-4.05 and hoping to somehow squeeze under 4 if it goes well,to a thank god its over in 4.27 type of runner.
  • Options
    Thank you Alex.
    Adam just made me want to scrap the whole thing.
    You just pulled me in again.
  • Options
    cariad - I think us townies would all prefer to run in the country. I'm sick of street running and people wandering around getting in my way and the fumes....grrr.

Hills? or speedwork?....both raise heart rate and strengthen legs and teach your body how to clear out lactic acid. Take your pick. I'm doing hills right now in prep. for Hastings which is 5 miles up hill from the start...

WP - that's good news isn't it? good that you can run again in 5 days, so take a rest week, a step down week WILL do you good.
  • Options
    sorry cariad, didn't mean to make you down, but in some ways it's better to have lower expectations and be pleasantly suprised than have unrealistic goals and be gutted if the wheels come off.
  • Options
    cariad - also don't forget that a new pair of AsiNikbokony AirGelMaxPremier (TM) shoes will definitely take at least 10 minutes off your time!

Meanwhile I've decided I'm going to try running without a watch today - I've definitely found myself clock watching recently - and I read somewhere that you can be too obsessed with time... It's not really cos I'm knackered and think my time will be awful ;-)
  • Options
    BNTM I can definitely recommend running without a watch - I don't take a watch with me if I know I'm already feeling a bit rubbish - my times on my fixed routes don't change that much, and I mostly now just use it once in a while to double check I'm not going slower, and on new routes to see how long they are. It also means I can just switch my brain off and run!
  • Options
    Is time really that important? as important as enjoying the day? are these two mutually exclusive? or can we run our fastest and still enjoy it? Or will we only enjoy it if we run the time we want?

What's motivating us here? Is it the thought of achieving what we've trained for? Do we care what people think when they ask what time we ran?

Personally, it's the whole journey. All the training, the ups and downs the illness, the injury, the training runs, the warm up races and the cameraderie with you lot.......and a good time? - well that would be the cherry on the icing on the cake, if you like cherries that is ;-) If the big day is half what it's cracked up to be then it's going to be amazing...
  • Options
    percy,spot on.for me its the whole bit,the speed i run at isn't my whole life.though i think you can certainly run your fastest and still enjoy it.but my biggest lesson last year was,if it ain't gonna happen on the day,relax and enjoy rather than blow up and drop out.especially if its your first marathon-you only run your first marathon once.john bingham is very sound on this point-say thanks to all the drinks helpers,do some high 5's rather than grimly pounding the middle of the road,take a good lokk around at your fellow runners,have a chat etc etc
    the crowds are amazing,but for me not quite as good as new york...eg,tendency for more gaps especially in the early part of the race and in some bits of docklands.also tendency for british reserve-polite applause,and the annoying 'come on alex' rather than a 'well done' or a wonderful american 'go alex go'.if you haven't already worked it out,you MUST have your name on the fromnt of your vest.at one point i actually found the crowd really annoying.odd but you might see what i mean at certain points on the day.but this is really splitting hairs,not many people get to perform sport in front of a crowd that size!
  • Options
    Greeny.Greeny. ✭✭✭
    ...and spot on Alex as well. I ran this for the first time in 2001 (4hrs 40mins) and had a fantastic time. Crowd were wonderful and yes you MUST have your name on the front. I didn't notice any gaps in the crowd that year anyway.
    What stays with me is the shear volume of crowd noise, especially at the end around Buck Palace! Absolutely superb and a cold shiver has gone down my spine as I write this!

Plenty of high 5's are a must. For me, this race is a celebration of running (cliche time!) rather than anything else - although I am still hoping to beat my last time!

Enjoy it, it's a wonderful experience.
  • Options
    however, this is the sub hour forum and not the enjoy the day forum. I guess what i'm saying is if you guys are anything like me you started out a few months ago thinking - just get round, have a nice day, make some friends, but on those cold dark mornings it's not that that drives you on, it's the commitment to running at a certain level to achieve a physical goal that will fuel the natural athletic ego that all sub 4 hour marathon runners must have. Or am i talking bollox
  • Options
    I guess all this makes lots of sense and very good advice ...I agree with Percy it is the whole journey that gets us to this point and the cameraderie with all you sub 4 hour crew....But I also have a competitive streak in me that want's to do the best I can.

I better go shopping and get my FLM kit )I have nothing to wear)ready with my name on it:-)

Thanks for advice will try to go swimming if I can fit it in!!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    I had not even thought about enjoying the day...it is not why I am there is it is to get as near to 3.45 as I possible ,it is what drives me!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Well Adam, I think it's good to have a target, and I'd like to think that sub 4 hours is achievable, that's why I'm posting on this thread, and thats what I'm training for.
    As I've never done a marathon before it could still be a case of anything could happen on the day though!
    I definitely wouldn't class this as the 'get round on the day' thread as everyone does have 4 hours as a goal, and whilst trying to keep it competetive they also want to get the most out of the whole day (I think). Correct me if I'm wrong anybody!
  • Options
    WP - you did 4 lengths freestyle in the pool early this morning - will fit in the mile running later ;-)

Also, since I'm doing all this exercise for you, do you fancy doing some work instead of me?

P.S. I agree with Adam - let's change name to the "enjoy the day forum"!
  • Options
    Greeny.Greeny. ✭✭✭
    Ah, yes, this is a sub 4 group - I forgot that!
    As always, it's a personal thing, achieving the best you can. I wasn't saying just plod around if you know you can do better, no fun in that.
    I think we're probably all agreeing here... doing your best, benefiting from the training effort you put in, and enjoying the day.
  • Options
    Greeny.Greeny. ✭✭✭
    WP - you looking for a fight?!
  • Options
    I am late joining this thread, but I have followed silently all along. FLM will be my first marathon and I have followed a combination of beginner and intermediate schedules, with the overall aim of achieving a 4hour time. I have stuck to my schedules, and have also done some quality speed work with a local club. On sunday I completed my first half marathon at Silverstone and achieved 1h 44m:45s, of which I am very pleased. Throughout the past three months however, I have debated whether to aim for 4hours or under, or just aim to complete the course in one piece. I have followed a nine minute mile schedule because it has been bearable , and the mileage not too high, but I don't want to feel disappointed if I fail to break four hours. I feel it could be achievable, but am I setting myself up for a glum face come April 18th? Long runs at the moment have reached 16 miles with 17,20+18 planned for next three weeks.
  • Options
    Welcome pipell.

I think what we're all saying is that there is nothing wrong with having ambition. We're on this thread cos we're willing to put in the training to get the time....but if it doesn't pan out then it's not the end of the world...
  • Options
    pipell - get 2 x 20 milers in - if you cope ok with that - you'll nail 3.45
  • Options
    for me, it's the ambition/drive/competive nature i wrote about earlier that gets to marathon day in (hopefully) good shape. On the day - enjoy, wave, chat etc.. and take what your body is perpared to give you on the day
  • Options
    Pipell - 1:44:45 for your first HM. No wonder you're "very pleased"!

With the mixed beginner/inter training, the local club running and your sensible targetting, I reckon you deserve what you're going to get - which is every success!

P.S. How was Silverstone? Was there much support? Was the organisation OK? I haven't been reading up on those threads and the people I know who were running it didn't turn up for the run last night!
  • Options
    My worry all along has been the entering the unknown factor, the last 6.2 miles. I keep thinking back to watching the race on telly and seeing some poor bloke with rubber legs. A woman I work with said it will be me and I have been worried since!.
    I am running the Rhyader 20 miler next saturday so that should be a good indication of my ability to run 9 minute miles x20. Should I aim for 9 min miles, or try 8min 45secs?
  • Options
    Hold everything!

Stop where you are!

You're running Rhyader?

Before you go any further, I think we need to know which side of the Severn your loyalties lie?
  • Options
    anybody know of an official t-shirt printers for getting your name put on in the right place/size ?
  • Options
    Didn't I read somewhere that they're doing them at the Excel place where you pick your race numbers up, or did I imagine it?
  • Options
    Yippee! We were getting outnumbered for a little while there - and I was getting scared as I've visited the Reading photo website and was alarmed at some of the photos - I wasn't expecting everyone to look quite so athletic...

Can't help you with the last 6.2 miles except to tell you that I'm just as worried as you are. My plan right now is to think negative splits - but it feels like such long way.