Options

Support Group 4

Comments

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

7 miles at MP this morningimage

B Nikki your doing all the right things for the knee, foam rollerimage

H MomUK don't panic we can all have off days during training sessions, the taper will make you feel 100% fresher come race day, just don't go off to fast.

• Options
    thx No Pain, think that was my problem with my 20miler, I am running 13min miles and i was doing 12 1/2 min miles for the first 9miles, i should have totally slowed it down and then when i picked up my knee injury i was totally burnt out, not even the gels seemed to do anything for me
  • Options

Hello all

Hannah - don't worry about the 20 miler, look after your injuries and take it easy now. It normally takes me about 4 hours to run 20 miles!

Not running today, hoping to do about 13-15 tomorrowimage

Have a good day everyoneimage

• Options
    Hmom UK - I'm running Brighton as well as London....i'll be easy to spot just look for the yellow and black pirate vest like in my avatar.
  • Options
    Hi All,

Just reading the thread,and get injuries all the time doing my second marathon, training has been up and down, had physio on hamstrings, shoes are a bug bear, so have gone back to using original trainers, before last week training was not going so well, did the 20 miler last week and went like a dream. Went out this am for a small run and legs felt so heavy but could be that I had physio just yesterday, I hope so anyway.

Biscuit Nikki I have problem knees (bad arthritis) and use a product called Regenovex, I take the capsules and have got the gel and put on my knees,I bought it at the expo centre before my last marathon because the guy said it would work,my knees were strapped up anyway, I put it on then night before and in the morning of the marathon,it went like a dream I didn't have any problems and swear by it now. I hope this helps

Andrea
  • Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Flat foot Ted all the Best for both marathons.

MWW hope your run to day is good i'm just about to head out for 14 with 5 miles at MP.

Fruityg nice last long run it's funny how some of the short runs can be worse than the long stuff i'm sure everything will go like a dream on the big day.

• Options

Hello all

Flat foot - god luck with the double! I had planned on doing the Great Welsh Marathon this weekedn and VLM next, but no way am I fit enough so only dong VLM!

No Pian - how was your 14?

I did 15 on Saturday, it was slow but okay. Feeling quite coldy again today and surrounded by lurgies! Hope to do a couple of 4-5 milers this week with a couple of miles at MP, but not running today. Really don't need a cold this close to VLM!

• Options
    Hello all - i ran an easy 16 yesterday, although found my legs were feeling really sluggish and heavy. - result of tapering or something else? I thought I would feel a bit more rejuvenated, although I suppose this is just the first week of tapering. Can't believe there's only two weeks left!
  • Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Did just short of 13 miles yesterday with 6 miles at around or under MP. image
    40x25m front crawl this morning before work so hope to get on the treadmill for a nice 4 miles easy tonight.
  • Options

Well doen NoPain and Nikki!

For those of you who may be trying to identify some ugly mugs on VLM day......

/members/images/195010/Gallery/VLM_2012_web_size_0.jpg

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Are the ugly mugs in the other groups then?
  • Options

Hi all,

Sorry I haven't posted for a while. Had a week off with a cold after abandoning my final 20 miler at 7 miles. Did my first run, 12 miles on Sunday, and it was a PB! ran it a marathon pace and did it in 1:42:33 so well chuffed!

Only 12 days to go people! 

• Options
    Hello Group 4 - I have sent you Funny Hat as an adoptee.  Please be kind to him and do not make fun of his hat image
  • Options

Morning all,

How is the taper going?

I hope I'm not the only person running a Spring marathon who is starting to feel really fat and lazy, I almost just want to get Brighton out of the way so that I can go back to normal training! Goal for this week is to stretch as much as possible and sleep as much as possible too, but have been having marathon nightmares the last couple of days (paranoid about sleeping late on Sunday and missing the start of the race, realising I forgot to bring my trainers to Brighton, having to run in just bra and knickers etc).

Thank you to everyone who emailed me details and photos, if you want to be included on future Group 4 emails please Direct Message me your address. Otherwise we will include all information on this thread.

Thank you! image

• Options
    Welcome Funny Hat image
  • Options

Morning Fourers .. less than 2 weeks!  Time to start getting paranoid about catching a lurghy (which everyone I work with seem to have ...grrr)

Glad your feeling better James.

Nice picture MWW.

I did a 15 miler on Sunday and that's me done now, no more running until the big day.  I more or less had last year off running wise due to an Achilles injury and I could feel it tweaking on Sunday so don't want to risk making it worse.  All the trainings done now so not so bothered ... will get out more on the bike image

• Options

Good call IP, I've noticed a few friends on Twitter all sneaking in one more long run, followed by a lot of panic about pulled muscles and dodgy knees. I'll go for a short run on Thursday and will probably do a 15 minute stroll along the seafront on Saturday but that's it, next time I run longer than 5km will be in the marathon. Eeek!

• Options

Hey all,

James - sounds like the rest did you a world of good mate! Really pleased your 12 miler went so well.

Xine267 - oh don't get me strated on marathon nightmares! I am away for work in Scotland next week and my currently nightmare is that I get stuck there and can't get back on time, I keep having little panics about random things as well - like forgetting my timing chip etc etc. Also have I PM'd you my email address? I am starting to get confused image

My plan was to do a V02 max run tonight followed by easy short runs until next week - but my knee is still a bit...well 'off'' I suppose. So instead I have my massage booked for thursday and I am going to concentrate on stretching and rolling this week instead of running. I know I can run - I'd just like it to be niggle free!

Am also trying to make sure I drink enough - with a big bottle on my table. This is making me have to do a lot of toilet breaks - I don't think anyone has noticed yet though so I seem to be getting away with it!

• Options

Hi Nikki,

Ah, I've also got a big bottle of water on my desk. At least all the trips up & down stairs to the ladies are giving me a bit of a workout. Haha!

I hope that the Brighton timing chip is on the number, because if not then I don't have one! I better check the FAQs on the website before that makes an appearance in my nightmares tonight.

I don't think I have your email address, I sent a group email out over the bank holiday weekend so if you didn't get one from me then could you PM it through again & I'll copy you in on the next one.

• Options
    Funny Hat reporting for duty !

Thanks for taking me under your wing, to see me without the funny hat have a look at

www.olympicnick.com

Not sure if I am going to run dressed as an Olympian yet, any views ?

Will confirm race number later. I am aiming for 3:29 so I guess I will be with you around 2:20?

FH
  • Options

Hello Funny Hat!

How are you enjoying tapering?

Looks like you had a good run at Reading half (sorry snooping at your photographs). I live just outside of Reading and remember the Flintstones making the newspaper. We have probably been at a lot of the same races,

Have you used the costume for anything longer than a half? Just thinking on a practical side really - whether there could be any itchy or rubbing parts that you weren't aware of yet. It would certainly make you easier to spot!

• Options
    Hi Nikki, only used the outfit at Reading so far ! Does get a fair bit of attention which is always good ! Fred and Wilma are in the cupboard just in case I tempt Wilma out of retirement !

I run for Reading Road Runners and try and support most of the local races.

Best training to date for me and feeling really good for 26.2 in 12 days time.

Are you running or supporting ?

FH
  • Options

image Aww a RRR! I am a Sandhurst Jogger.

i am *hoping* to be running - like everyone else am now trying to avoid all the people in my office with coughs/colds/general lurgy and moving around with extra care.

A lady in our club had to drop out one year after falling down the stairs a week or two before the big day.

(Sorry to make everyone paranoid!)

• Options

Hello all

Xine - I can empathise with the fat, lazy feeling. I will have to embark on serious diet after VLM!

No Pain - LOL!

James - plased your run went well, at least you have had the cold now!

Nikki - I am surrounded by coughs and colds, also paranoid. Just taken out shares in hand gel, echanacia, Vit C and Vicks First Defence!

• Options

I've been on the First Defence for a week now ... I'm sat between 2 guys with chest infections .. image 

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    6.5 miles yesterday half mile intervals at 5:10mm pace, just about to step out the door for a nice easy 10 miles. Last week and this has seen my double runs on a day be cut down to just one run, next week is the big part of my taper, but like everyone else keeping away from anyone who is showing any symptoms of a cold.

Nice photo image what dose everyone else look like?...
  • Options

I will try to get a photo up this weekend. I have had to drop off my spare T-shirt to get my name printed again after realising my fuelling belt covered up my name along the bottom. The shop in my area charged £6 for front and back which I thought was ok? Saves having to sort it at the expo.

I have *really* restless legs today - doing mini walking laps of my office to try and sort it out.

• Options

Think I bought some iron on letters one year off ebay, they were pretty good.

BN, know that restless leg feeling, does my head in!

.. and I had a London Marathon dream last night!  Lots of it is blurry, but I had the medal but didn't know my time.  Then someone told me I was 10 minutes quicker that last time and I was massively p1ssed off!  Weird! image

• Options

LOL I like that it annoyed you!

I had a dream I had the medal but couldn't remember running the race, I wish it would actually be that easy!

I didn't think of iron on letters! Never mind perhaps next time...image

• Options

IP - last night I has a dream that I went off for breakfast and it was 11.00am before we got to the start..which was in the middle of a street!

Nilli - I used iron on letters this time..the charity sent them with the vestimage