Options

Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

i have to say i feel most strange it’s a Saturday and i haven’t got to go out with Poohbear for a run she only had a 3 mile run today which she’s taken herself of for it so I’ve had a nice lay in this morning got to say i could get use to this have a few niggles which i hope will sort them self out next week as i only have a 5 and 4 mile run left which i may do Monday and Tuesday to get them out the way then rest up till Sunday

We catch the train Friday morning and so are hoping to be able to collect our numbers on Friday afternoon and then have a good look around the Exbo

• Options

just encase anybody else would like to add there name

Travel Lodge Preston Park 4.00pm Saturday

Toby3

Poohbear

Tenjiso

Lombster + 1

Kathy H probable

Snowmaiden

Mark D

Jellybaby

The Green Fairy

Picklelilly

• Options

If the weather is anything like it is today in Salisbury it would be ideal - is lovely and sunny, but not too hot. image

My KT tape arrived in the post today so will be watching the video later as to how to apply it to the knees. Hopefully that will be after "Rare Bob" wins the national (50 p each way at 20-1, only because I have an Uncle Bob !) image

• Options
    Ideal running weather down here as well, sunny with a breeze! Actually wore my charity t shirt today and it was fine, so don't need to worry about that, just need to get some arm warmers home made from tights of course!

Good luck with the tape Salisbury lad, remember to cut the corners off though!

Glad you're feeling better GCE, great running Liz and the others. I did 6 miles very easy pace, but find it quite hard to run slowly (not boasting, just feels a bit odd and clumsy really).

Wonder when I can start packing...........
  • Options
    JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    SalisburyLad, I agree. It was perfect running weather in Salisbury today. Went for a run today and it was great. I cross my fingers for all of you that it will be like this next weekend.
  • Options

Just applied the tape to one knee, corners cut off as directed ! Let's see how it works ...

• Options
    As Bill Withers would say what a Lovely Day. Unfortunately I had a rest day after a confidence boosting 5 miler last night.

I'm about to eat my body weight in chips, I've actually managed to put on a few pounds ( well ounces) this campaign. I hope my race outfit doesn't make my arse look too big image

Enjoy your weekend all, this time next week, I can't wait.
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

It can't come round quick enough now.  I need to be concentrating on other things! image

I've fully loaded my gel belt to wear tomorrow and test for comfort.  I've got my proposed race day kit to wear too.  If current weather forecasts are correct (unlikely, I know) then next week will be nigh on perfect running temperature.  Unfortunately, I have vivid memories how the forecast for Milton Keynes last year took a dramatic tumble five days before the race.

• Options

I'm really enjoying reading everyone's posts. This will be my third marathon, all done at Brighton. My first in 2011 didn't go to plan and I staggered to the finish in 5:10 (I had planned for a 4:22, but ran out of steam at around mile 20 and walked most of the rest). Last year I was wiser and knew what to expect and trained to run 9 minute miles and it all went to plan and I finished on target with a time of 3:56. I was so happy that I felt as high as a kite for at least two weeks after that!

This year I have been training at 8:30min/mile pace and am aiming to finish in 3:43. I feel very confident I will do it.

I haven't received the confirmation e-mail that we were all supposed to have been sent recently. What was in the e-mail? Does it tell you what starting pen you are in? I would like to know that.

A friend of mine is collecting my race pack for me on Friday, as I am unable to do so myself. I have given him a signed letter from me authorising him to collect on my behalf, along with photocopies of my original registration e-mail from when I booked my place after last year's marathon. Plus photocopies of my driving licence photo ID and passport. This will surely be enough for them to hand him my race pack, I hope.

Good luck to everyone as we enter the final week before our big day. I can't wait!

• Options
    Made a start on the beetroots today.......well a girl's got to do something to fill the time that would otherwise have involved running. Yes Liz Joiner, you are the only one.......the pressure will get to you eventuallyimage.

Lots of good 'race day' practice and preparations going on guys. I might try my charity vest tomorrow - the iron-on letters have been ordered, thanks for the info on that folks. Last group training run is 5.5 miles starting with a lap of Preston Park - that will really get the nerves jangling!

I didn't think I'd be too nervous but the marathon anxiety dreams started on Thursday.

Pgbear, I haven't had a confirmation email either, they seem to have technical problems. Sounds like you've got everything covered with the docs you are providing to your friend. Fantastic improvement on your time, well done putting in all the hard training to get there.

MarkD, enjoy the chips, you won't be looking at your arse so don't sweat it.
  • Options

Unfortunately I can't make it as I won't get to the Expo until late on in the afternoon - I have suggested a group photo ! image

• Options

Too much time on my hands with this taper - keep worrying about the marathon, will I be able to complete distance? will it be too hot? have I trained enough? and if that is not bad enough when I am not worrying about marathon I find myself being anxious about just about anything else that is happening in my life!

It will be nice to meet up with everyone over the marathon weekend, we are staying quite close to where the Expo is so never know may bump into others on this thread who are unable to meet up on the Saturday at Travelodge - we usually visit the Expo at least once. 

Group photo sounds good if it can be organised. 

• Options
    Hi all it's getting close now. Gentle 4mile run for me this morning in the sun. Loved it. Only 2 runs left before the big one for me, starting to slowly build up the carbs and feel very organised for a change. At work today, but going to ensure a lot of day sitting reading threads and the final week countdown!!!!
  • Options

well were all packed for Brighton next week had to get it done this weekend as although I've taken next Thursday as holiday what with work last few runs and Poohbear not finishing until Thursday evening and then she straight out to the rainbow meeting she runs (per brownies girls for girls 5 to 7) they have a guild dog coming to the meeting for the girls to meet as she has involved the girls in the fund raising she done

And straight after the meeting were going out to for a meal to celebrate her birthday so we needed to get it done poor Poohbears a bag of nerves at the moment  i remember what it was like coming up to my first marathon and am doing my best to reassure her that she’ll be fine

• Options
    SAFERSAFER ✭✭✭

25km run today around the hills of Southfields and Wimbledon for me this morning. Lovely to see the sun was out, lets hope it stays like this till next Sunday!

Enjoy the taper guys, no such luxury for me unfortunately, I have still got to do my 3 x 10km runs to get in before Sunday.

Will have to give travel lodge a miss, I am going to the expo on Friday and driving down on Sunday morning in time for the start. Hopefully no speeding fine like last year! 

• Options
    7 miles d&d. That's it for me now. Just a few very short 1-3 milers to tick over. Yay image
  • Options
    Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

I hope everyone's taper is going well. Unfortunately, I have got a stomach-bug and have only run half of my planned training. Hopefully, I will be better next week!

• Options

Am still laying off the running altogether in the hope that my knees are okay by next weekend. I have the 21.5 mile in the bank from 2 weeks ago, so I know I can do it. My knees do feel fine after nearly a week of rest, but I know that running now could just flare them up again, so as MarkD told me last me, "I must not run until the race !!".

Tried the KT tape on my right knee yesterday, and I am trying it on the left knee today, just to check no adverse affects or other problems. Seems fine, so I will use that for the race.

We are having car problems, so will be going to Brighton in a different car to the one that I had booked into the Park and Ride. Expected problems in changing the car reg at this late stage, but when I e-mailed the helpline, pleased for once to get a very "low tech" solution, namely "neatly cross out the old car reg and clearly write in the new one" ! image

Glad to hear that many of you have successfully done you last LSRs and are well into the taper imageimage

• Options
    sleaversleaver ✭✭✭

SalisburyLad - Same with my foot. I've thought that it's better to not run for two weeks rather than trying to run and risk it flaring up again and not having enough time to recover. Got some KT tape as well so I'll see how that goes over the week.

Apart from a few runs missed through illness and another injury, I've completed the hard part of the training and got two 18's, one 20 and one 21 milers in the bank. Last 20 miler was a mare but I'm putting that down to the constant slow and freezing temprature. Just got to keep beliving that those runs will get me through it and that risking it flaring up during the taper will have gained me nothing.

• Options
    Long range weather forcast update!!!!!!!!!

Sunday high of 16c clouds giving way to some sun!!!!!

I'm meant to be typing up my end of year review but keep getting distracted!!!!!
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

pgbear - welcome!  Your progress is exactly the path I'm hoping to follow, so it inspires me that I'm perhaps not a complete lunatic trying to knock chunks of my previous time image  Good luck with this year's marathon.

Glorious morning this morning with a lot of fair weather runners, cyclists and horse riders out and about image  It feels like spring has sprung at last, though hopefully it's not another false alarm!

I had an enjoyable 10m run to try out race day kit, including a fully loaded gel belt that made me look like Rambo!  I've got a couple of adjustments to make, so that I can try them midweek.  So looking forward to this now, I can think of little else!

• Options
    Pooh bear: my first marathon too and I am also overwhelmed at the moment with exactly the same worries you said- whether enough training, whether will be too hot, generally a bit emotional about the whole thing. Am hoping that once get going will be ok! (and wearing right clothes for whatever the weather brings!)

Hope the injuries are banished with rest and we all have a successful day, achieving our own goals (mine is to get to the end!!)
  • Options
    Well first half marathon done - 2.09.09 which I'm more than happy with for a first one - nice medal too.

Lombster did your girlfriend get her PB?
  • Options

Nearly here folks...nerves are a good thing and normal...as is all the self doubt that creeps in at this stage. Even after 15 or so marathons I still worry about stuff..like am I capable of such and such pace (that is this year's worry anyway) , it's normal! I usually manage a decent nightmare about having the wrong shoes or being late for the start.

All we can do this coming week is tick over, bank some sleep hours and eat some good healthy food.  Visulise all those miles stored in your legs and this week is about babysitting those miles in ready for them to ping out next Sunday and fly you round the course. 

When the going gets tough on race day, just remember all those miles, the long cold winter we have battled through and how strong it has made you...then think about how you will storm over the finish line!

• Options

Hello all,

I haven't posted on here much, but with one week to go I'm losing my nerve! Training in January and February went very well, averaging over 30 miles a week and pacing at around 8:15. Then came niggles to my knee and achilles. And a bit of snow. And a particularly stressful house move! So I found myself at the end of March having done no running for 3 weeks. Last weekend I went out for an 18 miler, and didn't feel too uncomfortable. Yesterday I did a HM in 1:47, and don't feel too sore today. I am confident I can get to 20 miles inside 3 hours. What happens to me then is an unknown. Is anyone else in a similar position? Should I conservatively aim for 4 hours? Or just finish? Or push on for a 3:45? This is my first marathon, and my PBs over other distances are HM 1:33, 10k 41:26 and 5k 19:45.   

One minute I'm dead excited, the next, nervous. Hope the weather will be something like today!

Baz x

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Barry - did you race the half-marathon all-out?  The time itself shows you are capable of going sub-4, but I fear you have run the HM race too close to the marathon itself.  It takes a couple of weeks to fully recover from a half marathon race.

• Options

Hi Tenjiso,

The HM PB was in a race over two years ago ago.

Yesterday I did the same distance by myself on the streets in 1:47, not all out but to get some miles in. 

I feel ok pacing 8:15 - 8:30; my fear is what happens when I hit mile 20. Will I wish I had gone a bit easier early on? Classic case of undertraining!

Baz