Options

Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Some excellent running happening, well done Poohbear on your 10 miler!

15 and half miles for me this morning, incorporating the Park Run. Fuelled by spending the last week carb loading in Italy!! Enjoyed a few early morning runs in Sorrento but as soon as the sun came over the horizon I was straight back up the hill to the hotel, far too hot!

• Options

Some cracking running from you all here, well done for such great long runs everyone!

My race number for my first 10k next Saturday has just arrived so am going to do my last long run before the race today- am aiming for 7 miles so I know I can cover the distance image 

• Options

Evening all

Well what a wonderful day for a run just back after going out with the O/H on her LSR she had 11 to today so we decided to use our 3 mile loop around the docks as it a nice run with plenty of toilets available

we started off really well and she was maintaining the walk 5 run 5 that she intends to use for Brighton really well and so we decided that as the day was just about perfect and it was a bank holiday which meant plenty of rest time that we would try 13.1 miles as she running the Cricklade H/M in October to see if she could do the distance and give her that mental boost of knowing she could

happy to report the 13.1 miles was achieved in a time of 3:30:03 with an Avg pace of 15:5 m/m which is a vast improvement on last week’s 10 mile run which only had an Avg pace of 17:10 m/m and she managed to keep up her run 5 walk 5 all the time

• Options

well done poohbear, see you at Cricklade!

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Final coastal run for me today - five miles.  There's a lion on the loose in the area! image  Maybe this was why I managed 7:45 and 7:29 for two of the miles.  Is this what they mean by training like a Kenyan?

• Options
    Thought I'd drop in to the forum, not looked in since Brighton 2012. I'm running Toronto marathon, under 7 weeks to go now. I've trained better than I've ever done before, a good solid 4 runs a week. Heading out shortly for a 20 miler.

Anybody else training for big autumn events?

Hoping to crush my Brighton 2012 time in 2013
  • Options
    Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

Everyone seems to be doing well with their training image

I ran a half marathon on Saturday, and felt very under-trained. But that is just making me more keen to keep on. Hopefully by October, I shall be used to 13 miles and then I can concentrate on marathon training. That is the plan, anyway!

• Options

Well a 10M race for me today in a time of 1:21:18, I am really pleased as my time was 7 mins faster than when I did it in 2010. It was a undulating course and quite warm so all in all a good day at the office!!! image

• Options

Well done FF, Nice run image

• Options

F/F congratulations on the new PB

• Options

Ran from Exceat to Eastbourne and back on Sunday over the Seven Sisters, a very hilly 15 miles. The run out was actually easier than I thought it was going to be and I even remarked to my husband that I was finding it quite easy....I should have kept my mouth shut though as it was MUCH tougher on the way back when my legs weren't so fresh! image 

• Options

FF- Congratulations! That's a huge pb image

Did my last speed(ish) session before my 10k today, intended to do an easy run with some strides but got a bit giddy and it turned into a tempo run, 3 miles at 8:25 pace- which I'm very happy with! image

• Options

Thanks everyone,  I've been smashing PB's all year, much to my surprise and absolute delight! I can't tell you how much it means to me and such a confidence boost too. I've been like the cat that got the cream all day. image So those of you out there that are just starting out or rebuilding after injury, stick with it as you will get your rewards in the end I guarantee it.

• Options

morning all

well just 3 miles today did them on the treadmill as i am breaking in a new pair of running shoes was a bit disappointed i couldn't get the ones i been using any more as the manufacture has changed the design so am trying the latest version of them if i don't get on with them the shop have told me i can take them back hence the treadmill running this week

heard back from the organizers of the Cricklade H/M and unfortunately with that time they suggest that the Poohbear swaps back to the 10k as all the marshals and signage will be gone  had a look at the cut of time for Bristol H/M but there  3hrs as well

i would be interested to know of any H/M race with a cut off time of 3 and a half hours

• Options

Gah, been training hard to run half marathon in October, only to find out that I am not fast enough for the one I have entered, as their cut off time is 2 1/2 hours and it took me 3 1/2 hours on Sunday to do 13.1 miles.  Have to drop back to 10k in October and look for a half marathon with a longer cut off time to do later in the year. 

Suppose I shouldnt be too disappointed as I am progressing well towards my main goal of doing Brighton Marathon next April.  I hadnt run further than 6 miles 4 months ago, so I am getting somewhere, it just doesnt feel like it at present as I am just not fast enough. 

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

FF - well done!  Keep 'em coming image

Poohbear - include a bit of speedwork (short intervals, tempo runs) in your weekly program while continuing to work on your endurance.  Don't try to rush things and your speed will gradually improve.

I'm out with a knee injury at the moment image.  I twisted it on Monday and have been in pain since then.  I'm hoping it recovers in time to race a 10k this weekend.

• Options

just started getting notifications again!

poohbear, keep going! my own training for cricklade and cardiff hasn't quite got me where i hoped to be either, similarly speed just isn't there. trying to focus on the positive that 5 months ago couldn't run a mile and ran 12 last sunday which is the furthest i've run since cardiff last year. had hoped to get as close to last years time as poss with a sneaky hope of beating it. now rethinking targets and looking to run an easy race and enjoying the day. my main aim is Brighton and these miles will be of benefit when specific marathon training begins later. you will also have built a good base on which to build for Brighton and speed will come.

good luck to everyone.

• Options

Poohbear. Suggest doing a mixture of long runs ( 13 miles like you are doing ) and shorter faster runs, 200m ( repeats)  to 5Km as fast as you can. The mixture of long and slow and short and fast really will help you improve your 10Km pace.

keep up the good work. I hope your keeping a log on a spreadsheet as when hyou look back at your acheivements you will be super chuffed !!

• Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Or you could just run more - as a relative beginner you will make good progress simply by adding some more easy mileage (you should work up to running 25 miles a week every week before doing too much speedwork).

I did a little taster marathon on Saturday last week, really enjoyed it and nabbed a sub 4 for an effort level that I was expecting to give me around 4:15. Not bad for a day out on the trails and towpath.

Tested my fueling plan i.e. none at all and it worked fine (mile 26 was my fastest of the day), so am happy to keep working to that for next April.

Will spend the winter doing my first XC season and then start thinking about building some speed over 26.2... it feels like ages to April but I bet it flies by!

• Options

Thanks for all the good advice.  Will try to focus on what I have achieved so far and not dwell too much on what I had hoped to achieve by now.

Three 10ks planned in the next 3 months, one a month, so will train to run these faster whilst doing one 13 mile run a month to try to keep fitness level up and hopefully get faster on these too. 

5k session on treadmill tonight to break in new trainers.  Just under 40 mins again.  Longer 5 mile run planned for tomorrow evening, so will see how long that takes me

• Options

morning all

well just 3 miles for me on Monday and 4 yesterday as i have started the taper for the GNR will try a gym session today if not another 3 mile run all of which have been done on the treadmill as like Poohbear am currently breaking in a new pair of running shoes

• Options

Hello! *waves to all*

Starting to rest for Saturday's 10K today, so just a 3 mile potter this morning to loosen up my legs. Meant to do some 100m strides but did it at the crack of dawn before breakfast and had such heavy legs I didn't manage it- it felt like there was literally nothing in the tank!

Still feeling good about Saturday though image

• Options
    WexterWexter ✭✭✭

Afternoon all, put in 18 miles in 3 hours on Monday this was the longest I have run in over a year. Then did 8 miles yesterday, struggled to do 2 today think my body is not used to the running I have been doing so will rest and run a 5K on Saturday.

• Options

Happier today - as I have now signed up for Swindon Half in October as their cut off time is 4 hrs. 

Completed 5miles on treadmill tonight in new trainers - though balls of feet were beginning to hurt towards end so perhaps a bit long in them until properly broken in.  Jogged for 3 1/2 of the 5 miles, only walking towards the end when feet started to ache.

• Options

Not really done much running after the 10M race on Monday.  Felt like I needed to take things easy as I have a 10K race on Sunday and there isn't really anything I can do this week that will make any difference, so just a 3K jog on the treadmill Tuesday and 5K on the treadmill tonight with some speedwork thrown in for good measure.  Was thinking about doing a steady 3M run tomorrow just to losen everthing up. I'm also having a sports massage tomorrow so that should also help. 

• Options

morning all

just 7 miles for me today as the taper towards the GNR continues

• Options

Afternoon all

Well 7 miles done today bit happy with the pace the whole run took 1:06:14 with an Avg pace of 9:00 m/m pace

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Good pace Toby.

No running for me since Monday due to my knee injury.  It now only really hurts goindgdownstairs.  Sunday's race is looking unlikely image

Hate missing runs image 

• Options

Tenjiso -  - have you had it diagnosed, sounds like and IT Band problem? Apologies if I've missed an early post were you've explained all! image

A rest day for me as I have a 10K race tomorrow although after having a sports massage yesterday I feel I need to do a gentle 2-3M jog today just to losen everything up.

• Options

FF - I haven't had it diagnosed.  Having read the descriptions of ITB, I don't think that is the problem.  The pain is quite a sharp "stabbing" pain when I go downstairs.  If I lived in a bungalow, I'd barely be aware of a problem.  It seems to be *slowly* improving.  Gutted to be missing my 10k race tomorrow image.  I'll get it looked at early next week, if it doesn't improve any further.