Options

Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    Sarah, rest, ice and compression socks. Best to sort now before they get worse image
  • Options

I have got a 10M race on Bank Holiday Monday and wondered whether I need to taper for this?  I was planning to do 8M today but wondering whether I should do the 10M distance as my LSR?  Leading up to this I've done a couple of 10M, a 11M and I did 12M last week.  Just not sure whether a taper is necessary? 

Hope you are all enjoying the sunny weather!!! image

• Options

Hi FF - a lot depends on what your normal training mileage is. However based on fact you have done a few already-  I would go ahead today and do your 10 Miles or even longer ( as long as they are slow miles ).   In terms of taper 3 days of no running before the race should be to be fresh on the day ( eg...raring to go ) 

Enjoy the race next weekend !!

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

A 10k run on the treadmill early this morning left my garage looking like a swimming pool thanks to 79F heat and no air circulation.  It makes the outdoor hot runs feel easier image

Hope the weather stays hot for another week, though, 'cos I'm off to the seaside!

Have fun running everyone!

• Options

Thanks AGF- a couple of days off and plenty of stretching, massaging with a tennis ball and RICE seems to have helped! Could hop on the bad leg this morning fine, so went out for a nice steady 6 miles (I cut out a run this week so my weekly mileage doesn't increase) and am happy to report no shin pain during or after... image

Am not going to say as much as they're better, but I think I've helped them!

Hope you're all having a lovely weekend and some good runs image

Enjoy your race next weekend Flowery Fay!

• Options

Some good running going on on the heat.

Well done poohbear on getting to 10 miles. That's quite a milestone!!! image And well done toby on keeping up the mileage!

sarah m, glad the legs are feeling better.

Tenjiso, not sure how you manage to keep going for 10k on a treadmill in this heat, but well done!

Flowery Fay, nice running going on there, enjoy next week's race.

AGF, good running, keeping up the mileage up in this heat!

Decided at the last minute to do Henfield half this morning. Not my best ever idea, as I've added a few pounds over the summer and wasn't feeling great either! Consequently, slowest half marathon this year. Still, it's not a bad little run and I did enjoy the company, just did not enjoy the heat!!!!

Waves to all imageimageimage

• Options

Thanks AJF -I decided to do th 10M, really steadily - it felt great! All ready for the race next week.  It's one I did 2 years ago but had a rubbish race and was really disappointed with my time so I want to put in a good effort this year.

I used to hate running in the heat so used to avoid it and not run if it was hot but now I just do my run but much slower - its amazing how you can adapt and get used to it with a bit of training.

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    sarah marsbar wrote (see)

Could hop on the bad leg this morning fine, so went out for a nice steady 6 miles 

Sarah - I didn't know that hopping for six miles was a cure for shin splints.  You learn something new everyday!

Juggler - it's wonderful to be able to complete a half-marathon on a whim.  Something that couldn't be contemplated by the vast majority of the population!  

• Options

Thanks Juggler - it does feel like I am getting somewhere now. 

I dont think I would be able to do a half marathon yet though.

• Options

Hahaha Tenjiso! Just realised how badly I worded it! That'd be very tiring- running would seem like a joy by comparison image

Well done for a good half Juggler- a 'slow' half is still a big achievement so far away from the marathon!

• Options

morning all

well may try another 8 today as i only have a couple of week full training left before the taper leading up to the GNR have 13 to do on Friday then will go out with Poohbear all being well on Saturday as she has 11 miles to do

• Options

Ran the same 20 miles that I'd done the previous week up and around Devil's Dyke on Friday - felt MUCH easier this week as I managed to do most of the mileage before it got too hot. Going to run Exceat - Eastboune (and back!) over the Seven Sisters this coming weekend....am a little bit scared already! image

• Options

Sorry for the ignorant post here - BUT is the only way to do Brighton now by entering through a charity? Does anyone know of a charity that doesn't want hundreds and hundreds of pounds of sponsorship money to enter .......

I've applied to do London (entered ballot ) but it seems a bit of a no hoper image, but if I leave it till I know one way or the other for London will there still be places for Brighton or does everyone do what I am doing and enter once they know if they have a London place?

Up to 12 miles long runs and total weekly miles - about 30 so hoping to gradully increase this as time progresses!

Any info much appreciated. image

• Options

Jellybaby the only way now to run Brighton is through a charity place as the general entries are closed i took a charity place for the GNR but look through the list of charities until i found one wanting a sum of money i knew i could rasies

• Options

Hi Jelleybaby, I believe the sponsorship needed for charity places for Brighton is circa £500, compared to the £1800 - £2000 which most charity places ask for London. You could still get charity places well into early this year for this year's Brighton marathon.

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Hi all.

My first run along the coast today early this morning.  Meant to do 10km but didn't want to turn around too soon and ended up doing eight miles.  I could have just kept going.  A pleasant change to the treadmill image

• Options

Just 3 for me today then may well cycle to work as the wife needs the car tonight or may be lazy and get her to take me and then just walk home

Tenjiso glad the run went well it is nice to get outside especially when the weathers as nice as it has been

• Options

A little 3 mile for me today, am trying to be cautious on my shins so I can do my 10K soon! Tried to do it a little bit harder than I'd normally do an 'easy' run- kind of halfway to a tempo run image

*waves to all* image

• Options

Morning all            

Well home safe and sound in the end was lazy got the wife to take me in and then walked home gym session for me today

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

You're not wrong Toby.  Seven miles today, with four miles at tempo pace (8:00).  Very pleased with my pacing.  Beautiful sunny morning, which makes the running very pleasurable indeed!

• Options

well the gym sessions not going to happen got up to late will have to do it tomorrow or may count the 3 mile walk home this morning as training done

• Options
    4 miles yesterday...another 4 for tomorrow ...well into my half marathon training . just waiting for kiddies to return to school when fitting in runs will be alot easier

waves xxxx
  • Options

Well a brisk 5M for me tonight.  I didn't get home until 7.45pm and the last thing I wanted to do was run, tired hungry etc but I somehow dragged myself out and pleased I did in the end. Isn't it getting dark early?! I had to run fast to get back home before it got too dark! image

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Out just after 6:00am for an easy and very relaxing 6.5 mile run.  Felt completely chilled-out with the low-rising sun reflecting off the sea and the sound of the waves.  Beats the treadmill hands down image.

Looks like the weather is set to change on the weekend (of course - it's a bank holiday weekend).  My plan is to do my long run tomorrow morning, hopefully before the weather deteriorates.

• Options

Morning all! 

FF- Well done for dragging yourself out- it always seems worth it in the end! image

Tenjiso- sounds like an absolutely lovely run image hope you get the weather for your long run!

Pyramid interval training for me this morning, fun fun! Jogged to the park to meet my mum and she timed my intervals, which was nice to have company image jogged home too to make it 3 miles in total.

• Options

Well I decided to try speed work on the treadmill tonight to see if I could maintain a reasonable speed for any distance.  5k completed in 39 mins 37 seconds, so 30 seconds faster than I have ever completed that distance.  Not sure if that counts as a pb though or if pb's only count in actual races.

• Options

no sorry only counts if it's official timed

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Poohbear - there's no harm in keeping a record of unofficial PB's to keep an eye on your own progress.  If you run a particular route regularly it can be very useful to use as a benchmark of your own progress over time.  Of course, treadmills are a great way to benchmark progress because the distance/incline can be set identical for performance measurement.  Keep up the great work!

This morning I pencilled-in a ten mile run.  However, I've had an itching to do a decent long run since arriving on the coast, so I went for fourteen miles instead.  Steady, comfortable pacing, average 9:22 pace and all within my recovery heart rate.  This was my longest run since the spring marathon and it felt good.  It was overcast with hazy sunshine - great for running.  The real lunatics are those who were swimming in the sea at 6:30am image

I believe that the weather is about to turn "interesting" over the weekend.

• Options

Afternoon all

Perfect running weather down here today overcast and cool should have done 13 miles but for the first time in weeks the run felt easy

i had already decided to run the route i use when training for Brighton as the first 9 miles takes you away from home which i thought was a good idea as i have struggled at the end of the last few runs and the route i normally use takes me to close to home and the temptation to knock it on the head if it was going badly would be to great

I got to mile 10 and as i still felt alright in myself instead of turning for home decided to run along the docks and come back that way thinking it was about the same distance which proved to b e a sight miss calculation on my part as by the time i got to the end of the docks i had done 11.5 and it was still about 2 miles from home

any way run was still feeling good buy the time i got to mile 13.5 but to get home from there meant going up a steep hill which to be honest i didn’t fancy so came back the slightly longer way through our local woods which is flatter and finishing at the bottom of a path that i use as a stopping point on my 8 miles runs as it leads up and out of the woods and comes out more or less at the bottom of my road i use the walk as a cool down

in the end i ended up doing 15 miles the whole thing took 2:27:14 with an Avg pace of 9:46 which i was pleased about as i was aiming to keep the pace in the 9,s hand one disappointing 11m/m don’t know what happen there

out with the Poohbear tomorrow to keep her company as she has 12 to do

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

6.25m easy run this morning.  Very windy on the return leg, almost stopping me in my tracks at times (I assume this could happen in the Brighton marathon along the seafront).  The sea was much more dramatic, giving me a very refreshing spray every now and again.  Loved it.