Options

Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Hello all! Just got back from my first 10k, am waiting for my official time, but I think it was around 57 minutes, which is slower than I wanted but at least I finished image 

Think I went out too fast, with the first 3 miles at around 8:30 per mile!

• Options

sarah well don on completing your first 10k

just back from12 miler with Poohbear she did Ok will let her tell you about it

• Options

12 miles today - started off well, but as there was a lot of roads to cross and traffic heavy sometimes it was taking a couple of minutes to cross roads.  Average moving pace of just under 15 min miles though, so good training session - 3hrs15mins to do 12 miles, so slightly slower than last weeks 13.1 miler.

Well done on 10k Sarah.

• Options

Thanks Toby and poohbear! image well done on your 12 miler poohbear, that's a really good run and a good pace!

• Options

Well I did my 10K race, always find this distance tough.  According to my Garmin I got a PB by 6 seconds (it all counts! image I am still waiting for the official chip time although I've just read the race details and the chip time is measured from the gun and  not when you cross the start line - what kind of nonsense is that especailly as I was in the middle of the pack and it took a while to get going! image 

• Options

FF - well done on the PB, even if it is unofficial.

I don't understand the point in having a chip time which the same as the gun time.  Seems like an unnecessary race expense. image

Still no running for me. AAAAaaaaaarrrgh image  Had to miss my 10k race yesterday image

• Options

Well done Sarah MB image You could practice your pacing at a weekly parkrun to find the best for you.

Flower Fay that sort of timing is usually used because its really hard to time everyone across the line at the finish so it saves on lots of work! Gun to chip is quite common in smaller races as its also cheaper, but sometimes race organisers cant use a chip at the start for whatever reason.

Well done on your race though. You'll get a pb next time!

Sorry about the knee injury Tenjiso - are you doing core work? I find it very good to helping with my knees. Another thought is tight hip flexors which means you roll the knees more and they can end up sore. Keep on the rehab and hopefully it will get better soon.

I did a 16 miler on Saturday with a parkrun in the middle which was fun. No running yesterday as I was at the paralympics which was fab image Got my first 60 mile week this week for ages so will be tired but am hoping this base period will serve me well in the months to come.

• Options

PoohBear - You should be proud of how far you have come - I too feel one of the slow ones and training has really taken a backseat due to having 3 little boys on school holidays. Well they are officially back today and so now I have no excuse. I am not thinking of next years marathon but focusing on the half at the end of October. I have gone back to a basic training plan too just focusing on completing the distance - Then come winter its full steam ahead?!

Anyway - Sorry if I havent been on here much over the past 6 weeks - as I said school holidays!!!!!!

Happy Monday all x

• Options

Thanks Curly45! I go back to uni in Leeds next week, where I live 2 minutes away from the parkrun, so I'll be back in the routine of parkrunning regularly image

• Options

Ah Leeds Hyde Park? One of my fav parkruns that is! Have you seen this chart:
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/parkrun-leeds/leeds-parkrun-pacing-chart/10150122504678043

Very useful! image Tells you your splits needed at each k marker for your target time based on the course profile.

• Options

Happy Monday all, no running today. Personal best in 5K parkrun on Saturday and 15K training run yesterday. Doing a 10K event this Sunday and building up to a half marathon at the end of the month.

• Options

Afternoon all

Well should have been just 3 for me today but as i was passing pop into the car rental place to confirm that the booking we had made online last night had gone through

We decided to rent a car to drive to Newcastle as ours is only small and getting two suite cases my running gear and a box of food in the boot may prove difficult and it saves ware and tear on ours

trouble was i thought i turn my Garmin back on it was only when i looked at it i realized i hadn’t so i turn it back on and kept going till it read 3 miles when i got home a edited the map and it turn out to be 5.3 miles so that’s my long run done for this

Can’t believe the GNR is 2 weeks this Sunday just gone when i entered it in December last year

• Options

Aww thanks Curly45! That's really useful image

• Options
    6 miler today..really slow and sluggish..blaming it on not having done regular running and i skipped my morning cuppa!! still it was 6 miles run rather than skipped !
  • Options

3 miles outside tonight in the sunshine.  Struggled a bit, but just under 40 mins again. 

• Options

Well done poohbear! Also went for 3 miles outside in the sunshine tonight to start breaking in some new shoes image 

• Options

Hiya all. Thought I'd say hi.

I am new to this running malarkey, but for some inexplicable reason, I'm loving it. I've lost over 2 stone, come thru the C25K program and I'm now out running 4-5 miles every other day.

Brighton marathon next April is gonna be my first!!

Ran this lunchtime from the lagoon down to the peace statue and back....which is quite a long haul for little old me! .... especially in the heat today! I normally go out later at night.

• Options

morning all

rest day yesterday may do 6 today to make up which would just leave 3 on Friday or may do 3 today and 6 on Friday Oh decisions ,decisions

Swervin welcome to the thread keep us posted on how your doing

well done to Poohbaer and Sarah

• Options
    Welcome Swervin.

bike ride for me today
  • Options

Morning all image

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, been a very busy (but enjoyable) summer, with daughter's wedding and a few other bits and pieces.

Sounds like most of you are doing really well with your running. Mine has taken a "back seat" for a while, but still managed a decent 11 miler yesterday along Brighton / Hove seafront.

poohbear, great progress being made and good to hear that you have a half to enter.

toby nice to see some consistent training going on as usual. Good work!

Welcome to the thread Mervin. Sounds like you have made a good consistent start to your running. Coincidentally, I was heading back along the seafront to the lagoon yesterday around midday. The weather seemed kind of hot to me as well!! btw, do you have any targets along the way to getting ready for Brighton Marathon e.g. 10k or half marathon races?

Some nice PB's out there as well, F. Fay, sarah mb, Wexter.

Tenjiso, sorry to hear about the knee. How is it holding up? Are you doing any specific exercises / stretches to help rehab it?

Curly45 how is the 60 mile week progressing?

gemgemx hope you enjoy today's bike ride.

Waves to all imageimageimage

• Options

Not bad thanks Juggler got through the club session last night so thats always a  bonus. About 13 miles in so far and covered 36 on the bike. Rest day today before medium long on Thursday, I always like that run as its a nice quiet loop and you can really get into the rhythm image

Good to hear you are still able to churn out the miles even after taking some down time from training. At least it means you should be nice a fresh for training now!

• Options

Thanks Toby and welcome Swervin image let us know how your training goes image

• Options
    Completed a lovely bike ride this morning. Only 14 miles but it included a killer hill which to date has always beaten me....Not today though.. I showed it who was boss. It's all worth it when you finally get to the top because you have a fun time going down the other side.

Completely non running related. does anybody have ideas for fancy dress. Theme is seventies but I am trying to think of something original...i.e Not hippy..disco..abba..glam rock etc.
  • Options

Juggler - the Jury's out on my knee at the moment.  I've tried a two mile easy run on the treadmill (cushioned deck = kinder to the knee) today to see how it feels afterwards.  It's not 100%, but if the run doesn't aggravate it, I may gently increase the mileage.  I've not been doing any specific exercises for it - mainly because I haven't really got a clue what would help image

• Options

Thanks Juggler - I do feel like I am making progress.

Gemgemx - one idea for 70s fancy dress - the first star wars movie came out in mid 70s so you could go as a character from that.  Well done on your cycle ride - I cant ride a bike so 14 miles seems a very long way.

Welcome Swervin - hope training goes well.

Tenjiso - hope knee gets better soon

• Options

Blimey, very busy thread for a race that is still 8mths away (in a good way). Does anyone know how the route has changed? I ran in 2011 (it was blimming hot) so I just wondered where the route now goes, as the last 5 or so miles IMHO were the hardest in terms of support, scenery and not to mention the very congested section along the sea front towards the finish.

Hope everyone's training goes well, but can probably get Christmas out the way first image

• Options

Morning all

Well opted for the 6 mile option yesterday as i have to pick up my son from school on w and take him down the train station he’s off to see his sister in Leicester for the weekend lovely day sun was out thought i struggled but to my surprise the whole run only took me 55:59 with an Avg pace of 9:14 m/m

so well pleased but have to say i do seem to be struggling for pace over all at the moment and running no were near as fast when training for Brighton at this stage

Mr immune they have taken out the loop by the school and instead of turning around at mile 16, 17 you run to the end of the road do a small loop which bring you back on to the same road as the turnaround was on if you go on to the Brighton home page the course changes are on their other than that it all the same

Although having said that there was some talk earlier in the year before Brighton this year that they my change the course again  

• Options

Tenjiso hope your knee is better soon, injuries suck!

Gemgemx well done on conquering that hill! Always nice to beat a hill that you've hated for ages image

Tried a 5 mile tempo run today, with the middle 3 miles at race pace. Was very hard work because Lancashire is hot but windy today, but glad I got it done image 

• Options
    good work Sarah. I found my 5 mile run a little tougher today too..must be the heat