Options

Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

4 Miles for me last night. Looking forward to my longest run yet on Saturday.....a long (for me!) 7 miler image

To repeat a question I asked the other day.....do you reckon a relative newbie to running should be using the days inbetween running to rest & recuperate or do you think cycling is OK?

I get itchy feet on my days off!

• Options

nothing wrong with cycling but do remember that the rest days are as important as the training days so do use some of the rest days for what there meant for rest

• Options

enjoyed my speed session with club last night, felt i was at last making some progress.

• Options

Well done on your run Sarah

Swervin I cycle on my days off, but its part of my commute. Yes its good for you, but nothing too pacey and nothing too long. For recovery purposes a short amble on the bike is fine, making the quads work too hard is not. If you have itchy feet then walking or swimming are also good.

It also depends what you are doing in the rest of the week and how you are balancing the load - if your first marathon (I assuming that from your low day mileages) then you will be well served to take it more cautiously the further into the plan you get as cumulative fatigue becomes a factor.

Just go by how you feel and you cant go too wrong. Rest is important as Toby says image

Good extra mile Pooh

Glad you enjoyed your club session Gloryboy I enjoyed mine too - quite long efforts but really nice how easy they felt in the lungs.

• Options

Morning all

Well may just have a rest day today as i over slept and do the 2 miles tomorrow as i have now booked Thursday night of i had my number for Bristol green again which puts me at the front of the wave 2 start which is a bit of a pain as my friend who i was hoping to pace is in the yellow start in wave one so she would have started 30 minutes in front of me

Will have to see what she wants to do as yellow numbers can only join the pink start right at the back of wave 2

• Options

I am obviously not meant to do 10k race for life this year - should be next Saturday (22), but have had small biopsy on my leg today and stitches arent being removed till next Friday.  Only two very small stitches, but Dr advised not to run until leg healed.

• Options

A quick hello from the Clumsy One. I hope everyone's running is going well. I'm currently in wind down mode in readiness for the Great North Run on Sunday.

I'm getting up nice and early tomorrow to get my 30min race pace run in before work. Think it will be a seafront jaunt before the crowds are out.

• Options

Anne i to am doing the GNR must say i am looking forward to it but a bit apprehensive as it will be the largest race in teams of people I've done

• Options

Good luck this weekend to all those taking part in the GNR!

• Options

I did it a few years ago - its busy but if you are not going for a pb then its fine.Or its supposed to be fine from pen 1 too, but I was running it as a long run so didnt experience that.

Have fun guys!

• Options
    good luck gnr runners. l look forward to hearing all about it
  • Options
    5.7 miles along river lea. Felt better than Tuesdays 3 miler so happy I am on the mend. Need a shower now.. I stink!!
  • Options

Hello all,

Good luck to those doing the G.N.R have a great day!

I managed to complete my first triathlon last week, and did better than I thought I would but have plenty to improve upon for next year, back to the running for now though!

• Options

Toby3 It's a great experience & just seeing the mortorway & dual carriages chockerblock ful of runners is unbelievable. And running under the main roads at the start will get you in the mood (I wont spoil the suprise by telling you why).

I'll be wearing my jade Brghton & Hove Women's Running Club vest.

• Options

Good luck to all the other G N R peeps.

• Options

Good luck to all running the GNR this weekend!

A 5 mile run including 3 miles tempo for me today, starting to get used to tempo runs a bit better now image

• Options

And today, I intended to go to parkrun and try for a PB, but alas, belated 20th birthday celebrations got in the way- vodka and a 5am bedtime are not conducive to going to parkrun!

Instead, a very steady 3 miles (whilst trying not to vom) this evening image hope you're all having a great weekend!

• Options

Your 20th?

Trip to pizza hut with the kids last night led to an 11" Peperoni pizza and ice cream. Now on the cider tonight. image

Hell, you can't be good ALL the time image

I did my six miler yesterday, Hove Lagoon to Brighton Pier and back...and I'm out sometime tomorrow night for four miles.

• Options

Yeah, I turned 20 in August, but had celebrations in Leeds with my uni friends image 

You definitely can't be good all the time! Treats are good motivation to keep you going image

I'm off for a ten miler with a friend from the uni club this evening... Have been guzzling homemade banana bread all afternoon in preparation! image

• Options
    Got through my 7 miler yesterday at just over 10 minute mile pace. Chuffed with that.

Sarah..... 20!!?! Lucky girl.

anyone know how the guys on here that did the gnr got on...I know Toby was doing it.
  • Options

Well done gem! That's cracking image

Yeah, I'm only a young'un- didn't feel it this morning after 10 miles at 9:40 pace yesterday though- I felt like I'd been run over this morning! Going for a lunchtime swim to try and soothe my muscles today image

• Options

Evening all

Well just got home 7 hr drive up on Friday and a seven hour drive home got a little lost going to Whitley Bay but that was my fault not listening to the sat nav and thinking i new better we left Bristol at 11.30am on Friday and arrived at the holiday park around 6.30pm in the evening Caravan was nice Saturday we went into Gateshead for the pasta party sun was out it was a lovely hot day

And watched the end of the new 10k race they have started and the end of both the kiddies’ races then went in for some pasta had a photo taken with Joe Pavey we then went back to the caravan as we were going to have tea with the O/H Uncle who lives there

Sunday morning was an early start as we had to meet the coach at 7.30 so was up by twenty to six had my usual toast and coffee did my stretches and out the door meet the coach who took me to the start and the wife onto the finish

Must say was disappointed with the start area think for such a big race was expecting a lot more hung around at the start for about an hour before entering the pen got talking to a lady from Devon who was running it for the second time we were going to run together as i though due to the lack of speed i had experience in training 2hrs was a likely time and she was going for the same

the red arrows fly over and the race got under way on time all though it did then take me another 20 minutes to get over the line by this time it had started to rain slap Elle Simpsons hand running with the lady did not work as after about a mile i had lost her

It was a bit downhill to the Tyne and Wear Bridge but then it was all uphill have to say it’s the hilliest course i run there were bands around the course crowds were out despite the rain was getting more and more angry as one idiot cut behind me catching the back of my feet nearly tripping me up others just barging past and people in front just cutting across in front of you not looking to see who the were about to trip up then there was the guy who was walking in the middle of the road which needed some fancy foot work to avoid as i did not see him till the guy in front swerved past him at the last moment

Over all though if i am honest was disappointed as it did not live up to the hype and was no more special than any other H/M I’ve done and the atmosphere was the same as at Bristol and Bath

in the end the whole run took me 1:53:34 so was only outside my PB which stands at 1:51:44 by 1:50 the split were go to

8:22.7

8:08.9

8:15.8

8:33.0

8:53.5

8:27.8

8:20.8

8:31.2

8:44.4

8:45.3

9:00.7

9:14.7

8:21.8

Giving me and Avg pace of 8:37

• Options

Well done toby. may not have been your best experience, but sounds like a good result! image

• Options
    well done Toby . good time even if not a pb. one to tick off the list of races. ....have to admit your journey there and back sound exhausting x
  • Options

well done toby!

always looks very crowded at the start on tv.

• Options

Great time on a course that's reknowned for not being good for a PB - well done image

• Options

Thanks all just London now and then that's all the races i'd like to do although the Sydney marathon sounded nice

• Options

Well comfortably did a scheduled 3 miler today at 9.11 pace - fastest I have done a 5k in a training run so chuffed with that. Got an 8 miler planned for my long run this weekend which I am looking forward to??!!! My friend did the GNR on Sunday too. Her time was 2hr 20min so I am aiming to beat her time....I know that running isnt worrying about how fast other people are going. Its just a bit of friendly competition....HONEST!!!

Are you in the ballot for London toby3?

• Options

Well done Toby, not going to be quite so crowded at Cricklade in a couple of weeks, when you will get a chance to smash your P.B!