Options

Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Aaaaaargh! Having had a great interval training session this week, I went out for a steady 5 miler yesterday. Having had no pain whatsoever in my left knee at any point during running, it started to hurt massively, I couldn't bear weight on it at all. I've been icing it, strapped it and elevating it when I can and it's much better today.

Please, please let my left knee pull itself together for the Mells Scenic 7 next Sunday. If not, I will be devastated if I have to pull out of the Great South Run in October. Suddenly, the marathon seems a very long way off.....image

• Options

On a happier note, well done Toby. That's brilliant. It's always interesting to see what you seasoned runners think of races. I never feel like I have the experience to make a sensible judgement!

• Options

really enjoyable speed session last night, running 1 mile efforts and managed my first sub 7 minute miles for a yearimage

only speedwork and a long way from running them for 13 or 26 miles but it did make my day when I checked my watch.

it has felt painfully slow and never as quick as I had hoped but recovery seems to be going to the doctors plan. I should really learn to listen to them.

• Options

well done Gloryboy! the speed endurance will come I'm sure.

How is everyone getting on now the nights are drawing in?  I have an issue with safety as I can only run for about 0.5M before there's no streetlights so I've cried off tonight as it was too dark once I got home at 7:15pm.  I seriously need to find a 5M route that I can do when its dark after work. 

• Options
    Most my runs are at about 9.30am.....Being a mum of 3 small boys means 9-12noon are the only time I have me time.

You may have to kit yourself out with head torch and rape alarm and some spray!
  • Options

Great run up north Toby and good work on the sub-7 mile Gloryboy.

HedgePuffin - hopefully your knee is better soon

Flowery Fay - Not loving the dark evenings. I went out tonight at around 6pm for a 14 mile run and had high-vis vest on from the start and had to switch my head torch on around 6.30 as some of the smaller lanes were almost like going through tunnels! Noticeably colder tonight too, although I don't mind that as much as the dark!

Tonbridge Half Marathon Sunday - Anyone on here doing it?

• Options

Lombster good luck Sunday

• Options

well done toby on the GNR are you in ballot for London or going for a charity place? or GFA place or running club place??

gemgemx I do all my running in the mornings too, i find it a strugle to run at night if i'm honest after a whole day of eating i can feel it all swishing about on my stomach, prefer to get up, have breakfast and go after i've done the school run

I'm in for Brighton and keep dipping in and out of this thread, its so huge I cant keep up, i've got other marathons before Brighton so guess i'm not thinking that far ahead yet but really looking forward to it

I havent booked accommodation yet tho, cant decide what to do, i've got friends living about 40mins away, I stayed there last year and drove in, but sometimes its nice to stay near by so you can just relax after the run ( or collapse after the run as may be my case lol )

what is everyone else doing accommodation wise?

• Options

wont let me cut and paste at the moment

• Options
    Isee)
    what is everyone else doing accommodation wise?

I've booked in at the Travelodge opposite the start for the Saturday and Sunday. Handy for getting to the start Sunday but does mean a trek back after the finish I stress more about getting to the start than what happens once I've run though and I'll probably end up doing a pub crawl on the way back to the hotel after the finish if last year is anything to go by!

• Options

Training wise this week:

Monday - Gym session, Tuesday -  5 minute warm up then 5 min intervals, 2 mins rest x 5, Wednesday - 14 miles slow run, Thursday - Gym session, Tomorrow - Cycle to work and back (19 miles), Saturday - Rest day, Sunday - Tonbridge HM.

Also decided to knock alcohol on the head until after Beach Head Marathon!

• Options

i've not booked anywhere yet, as tried to get into the Traveldodge but it was fully booked must have booked up quite quickly as i tried to book ages ago ( back in May time ) grrr 

I did find last year i just caught a bus back up to Preston Park save that long walk back up from the finish lol

• Options

ooh whats happening here, my post is all in bold and underlined??? RW forum having problems again???

• Options

Morning all

Well did a gentle 3 miles yesterday may do something a bit long to day will wait and see how i feel when i get up?

• Options

That sounds like a plan Toby, easing back into training after such a good GNR image

Complete rest day for me today after realising I've either run, swim or done a gym class every day for the past nine days! Oops... Hopefully a rest today will help me get a parkrun PB tomorrow image

• Options
    Good luck on the Parkrun Sarah.

Got an 8 miler this weekend to complete which I am looking forward to.

What's with all the underlined posts?
  • Options

I must admit i like staying at the premier inn in brighton for the marathon as its a nice 15 -20 min walk to the start (your warm up) believe me your not the only one walking up you can normally arrange a walking bus at reception and just ask the staff to advertise this to all meet up in reception at a certain time then walk up together its been good for me the last 2 years and you can stifle your nerves a bit my having a good natter too..... then its a 5 min hobble back after ...image to a lovely bath be it hot warm or indeed icy..and a guiness in the bar....heaven after a 26.2 mile run..

• Options

Alas, turns out a parkrun PB is not born off the back of a cold and a bad night's sleep- I was on fine form until 2km but it all got on top of me and I couldn't breathe through my mouth enough to keep going image still, there's always next week!

• Options

Morning all

Never went out for a run yesterday in the end but did a gentle gym session in the garage inserted must keep this short today as have to help Mrs Toby 3 tidy the house up for next week as it the sons 18thbirthday and were having an open house and if i stay here to long i get shouted at she may be small but as the saying goes don’t make her angry you won’t like her when she angry

• Options

evening all

well to our shame we've just finished the house work it's the first time we've had a chance to have a really good go at it what with all the training we been putting in took us a little longer than both of us expected

• Options

Ran my longest run so far this morning.....8 miles and somewhat embarrasingly I enjoyed every minute of it! I think I'm goin' a bit doolally!! image

Also just registered for the Brighton Half in February.

• Options
    good stuff swervin mervin .. managed an 8 miles too at my fastest pace...for a long run anyway. it felt good.
  • Options
    Swervin Mervin - nothing wrong with loving your training runs. I wish I was at the moment but struggling to get motivated to do long training runs on my own.

Finished Tonbridge Half earlier in 1:30:02. Bit gutted to not have come in under 1:30 but still pleased given I haven't run a proper long race since Brighton and carrying an extra half stone. Will just do some easy short runs this week before my 100km walk next weekend. Really not looking forward to that as I'm thinking that's going to be way tougher than Brighton Marathon!
  • Options

Swervin Mervin- I'm with you there, long runs are great! Especially with company image

Just back in after having reluctantly dragged myself out to tackle 11 miles for the first time, but had a surprisingly great time! Kept up 9:43 min/mile average pace, which surprised me, as it felt like I was plodding very slowly up the Leeds hills!

• Options

morning all

just a couple of miles for me today will definitely be on the treadmill if it's still raining like it was last night there's going to be some flooding some were

• Options

****** FROM ROLLS-ROYCE STAFF MAGAZINE ******

Sometimes it DOES take a Rocket Scientist!! (true story)..

Scientists at Rolls Royce built a gun specifically to launch dead chickens at the windshields of airliners and military jets all travelling at maximum velocity.

The idea is to simulate the frequent incidents of collisions with airborne fowl to test the strength of the windshields. American engineers heard about the gun and were eager to test it on the Windshields of their new high speed trains.

Arrangements were made, and a gun was sent to the American engineers. When the gun was fired, the engineers stood shocked as the chicken hurled out of the barrel, crashed into the shatterproof shield, smashed it to smithereens, blasted through the control console, snapped the engineer's back-rest in two and embedded itself in the back wall of the cabin like an arrow shot from a bow.. The horrified Yanks sent Rolls Royce the disastrous results of the experiment, along with the designs of the windshield and begged the British scientists for suggestions.

You're going to love this......

Rolls Royce responded with a one-line memo:

"Defrost the chicken."

• Options

I know it's late but I hope everyone that did the Great North Run on 16th September enjoyed themselves and managed to get good times. Anyway, here's my race report.

A friend kindly gave me a lift from S.Shields to Newcastle. Despite using the loos twice, by the time I got to the starting pens I needed to go again - eek! I spotted a woman making her way up to some  bushes so I decided to the same! How naughty is that?!

I had a totally storming race. From the very start I was going much quicker than I expected so decided to just run according to how I was feeling. I even managed to keep my pace going on the hills & energy-zapping long slightly uphill 'drags'.

At the half way point I couldn't believe my time & knew that if I could maintain a good pace I could be on for a PB. I was so suprised at my pace, I occasionally expressed this out loud!

As I got to The Nook my legs were tired but I kept dodging around the crowds of runners (no shoving involved!) & pushing myself onwards. Once on the coast road I somehow upped my pace & found an 'Anne sized' gap between other runners & the crowds which meant could run fast without having to do too much dodging between runners. I was breathing so hard I sounded like a steam train!!

I was over the moon when I crossed the line in 2:03:57 as this was about 7.5 minutes faster than last year's GNR and over 2.5 minutes faster than my PB . This was beyond all expectations as my previous PB was on a 95% flat course.

All the hard speedwork sessions over the last 5 months have really paid off!

• Options
    Well done Anne, that's a great run......you must be delighted. I can't wait to finally run in a race/event.....it'll make a change from pounding the pavements on my own.

I had a good result today. I went out for the first time in absolutely torrential rain for a 3 mile run and ended up running just under 9!

Just one of those days (again) when i was really enjoying it.

I know nothing about pace or anything.....I'm more interested in simply keeping going, but my pace was 5.35/km which correct me if I'm wrong aint too bad for a flabby fourty y.o novice?