Options

Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    Not bad at all Swervin Mervin... Especially since there will be lots of people that didn't bother running at all today....me included...but Mondays are my rest day so I dont feel guilty. Heading out tomorrow whatever the weather. ... Hope I enjoy it as much as you
  • Options

Anne loved the race report and well done on the PB i was just under 2minutes out side mine will have to try to put that right on Sunday at Bristol

Swervin well done  for getting out there i did my 2 miles on the treadmill as i figured it would take me longer to get ready  than it would to do the run and it was quicker just to chuck a t-shirt and shorts on

• Options

Swervin I was was ecstatic and vocalising it quite a bit once I had eventually managed to slow down to a walk. I had the worst preparation the couple of nights beforehand i.e. too much beer on Friday and not enough sleep on Friday or Saturday nights.

That's a great pace for a flabby 40yo novice. You're definitely going about your training in the right way. It's all about building the mileage up (gradually!) if you're a novice.

Toby - the GNR isn't really known as a PB potential race so being within 2 minutes of yours is good. For the last 5 months I've been doing a lot of speed work & it is definitely paying off. It has also taught me how I can push myself harder if I want to.

• Options

First training session for almost a fortnight as had stitches taken out last Friday and very busy over weekend preparing for Son's 18th next weekend. Gentle 2 miles done in 25 mins.

• Options

Anne- well done on a huge race! That sounds absolutely epic!

Swervin- that's absolutely brilliant! Great pace and a really good length of run to say you were aiming for 3 miles image

Gem- hope you've had a really good rest day image

Poohbear- well done for getting back on the road!

Toby- like you, I did a couple of miles at an easy speed on the treadmill today, as it was raining outside and I only wanted a little recovery run to get my legs moving after 11 miles last night image

Good running everybody! image

• Options
    Evening all. I've less than 3 weeks to go until next marathon, Toronto. As usual in this last stage of preparation, I'm thinking "have I enough events post race to keep me going". I'm in Brighton already (really looking forward to it), but was thinking about pushing the bar and doing Edinburgh the following month.

Has anybody here ran Edinburgh??

Looking forward to Sunday, up early to go and support the london2brighton ultra which starts on Blackheath near home at 6.30am. Now that would be cool??! Or mad!
  • Options

I've run Edinburgh 3 times. I enjoyed it, not much of it is actually in Edinburgh though. Some long stretches without spectators. I don't think the finish has a grandstand finish anymore either. Weather has been surprisingly warm last few years as well. 

• Options
    Cheers gloryboy. I did think it was of a strange course??

Is it a good PB course, as good as its rumoured to be??

Are you in BM next year??
  • Options

did the New Forest HM in pouring rain the weekend but got a PB out of it so very happy but seem to have come down with a head cold now, oh well these things happen

still looking at accommodation, tried to book travelodge opposite Preston Park Lombster but it was fully booked, guess it books up quick lol

didnt run tonight as didnt feel up to it with this cold, felt after doing 16miles in the pouring rain on sunday that was enough!! 

• Options

Three and a half miles this morning.....ran back from dropping the kids off at school (in the pouring rain again)....not quite as enjoyable as the other day. The old knees are a bit tender today. image

• Options

Afternoon all

Well resting up till Sunday now just had the finale email from the run Bristol so it doesn’t look like they change the course again this year

• Options

Hi all! Back after a trip to New York.

Good pbs for Anne and I heart Medals at half marathons. Toby enjoy Bristol and sorry you didnt grab a pb at GNR - I think unless you are in pen 1 it is very difficult to do so as its so crowded!

Nice long run Swervin - your knees are probably a bit sore from the 9 miler because as you get tired ligaments have to work a little harder and they can be sore for a few days. Remember to take it a bit easier until the pain has gone.

Did 5th Avenue Mile in NY on Saturday and enjoyed it lots. Very expensive but great fun and a road mile is very unusual so it was worth it for the experience too. Also got a good pb and my first sub 6, with 5:57.  Shocked wasnt the word. I then drank so much in celebration I spent much of Sunday in bed image

• Options

hi all

Well done on pb Curly45.  Did you go to NY for holiday or just for race?  We keep thinking about going to another country for a race, but havent got round to it yet.

Am building up mileage slowly again, as have 10k a week Sunday at Cricklade, then Swindon Half on 14 October.  A steady 3 miler for me today.

Hope anyone with colds or injuries gets better soon.

Good luck for anyone running this weekend.

• Options

Let's see if my message will post this time as it clearly didn't work before!

• Options

poohbear holiday, but I would recommend NYRR for race organisation - I have been trying to do a race in NY for ages but never got the dates to coincide! I have also done Amsterdam half which was alright but not amazing.

Are you feeling good for your 10k?

Lombster - I couldnt get mine to post if I used the writing I heart medals uses for their name perhaps that is the problem?

• Options
    well done Curly.

i was too impatient and checked the VLM link to check if you are in or not.

https://www.virginlondonmarathonballot.com/notify-payment/2/

once again rejected but i feel like i am a more official member of the Brighton 2013 team now. Hooray
  • Options
    Think you're right curly45! Congrats on the sub-6 mile. Quite an achievement.

Medal - well done on the pb.

2x3 miles for me today (car-work-car) and got absolutely soaked!
  • Options

hello all,

hope the running is going well. Plodding on here, training for several events at the moment. 

Just received my London G.F.A acceptance, going with the same plan as this year - to run Brighton and then to have a slow trot around London!

Looking forward to perhaps catching some of you at Cricklade next week!

• Options
    Managed a quick 4 miler on the back of my London rejection....followed by finally making a booking for a Brighton hotel for the marathon.
  • Options

i to was not good enough for London again this year oh well there loss

• Options
    Too true Toby...they have no idea what the have missed out on!
  • Options
    I prefer that we are too good for London. BM are much more deserving of our sports participation.
  • Options
    London doesn't wanted me either. I love Brighton, plus I've got a nice collection of Brighton medals image
  • Options

I too had a sorry mag for the VLM but had a nice jacket though as i donated my entry money so i knew as i saw the jacket it was a no ...still it means even though im not running Brighton next year im going to come on down for the weekend and cheer you all on image no doubt ill be feeling a tad envious by then though when you all get your shiny medals ...

It means a winter of no training for the first time in 3 years.. im not tempted to sign to milton keynes or edinburgh though or get a charity place in any spring marathons.. ive decided to give myself a winter off long long runs i may look into signing up to do the bath half as thats a biggie ive not done yet...so a winter of little training runs image and i may get my bike back on the road ...

• Options
    Erm, Yvonne you may regret that decision come February!

I'd choose Brighton over London any day. In fact ready this actually reminds me I'd forgotten to apply for VLM.