Options

Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Amazing runs from everyone. I managed my first ever 18 miles yesterday, it was very wet and bitterly cold, but I forced myself to keep running the whole way. The last 2 miles were very tough into a strong headwind, and I slowed considerably from 10:45 per mile to 11:45 per mile, but I was determined not to walk and that I did. In total I took around 3 hrs 18 mins. My previous longest without stopping was 15.25 miles. Keep it up everyone image

• Options
    Good stuff Salisbury lad. There the runs you'll remember come race day when the going gets tough!

Pacers are ok but they are only human and can undergo the same problems we encounter. Personally stick to running to how you feel and use the harming to keep a check.

Mad snow here last night. High wycombe even been on bbc weather tvimage

Gonna enjoy my 8 mile recovery tonightimage
  • Options

Thanks Tenjiso and MarkD, that's kind of reinforced what I felt - I think I just need to learn not to race off in the first half of a race! image

• Options
    MarkD wrote (see)
    ...stick to running to how you feel and use the harming to keep a check. 

That sounds a bit extreme image  

I was initially disappointed with the arrival of yet more ankle-deep snow, as I had hoped to do a lactate threshold run today.  Then while walking the kids to school I thought, "You know what?  Today is a great day for a run!".  So shortly afterwards I headed out to just enjoy the run and do whatever I felt like.  I ran eight miles and averaged 9:05, which is my marathon pace, near as dammit. My fastest miles were 8:41, 8:39 and 8:36 which, given the conditions must have been close to lactate threshold anyway.

I was right.  It was a great day for a run.

• Options

just a little 8 miles for me today boy has the temperature dropped again

• Options

hi everyone i hope the training is going great!

does anyone know what kind packaging the water will come in in this year's event - i found the pouches last year a tad annoying!

• Options

just had a quick dig around Brighton home page looks like it's the pouches again this year

• Options
    Sorry not "harming"I meant garmin!!!!!

I'm not sure about those pouches either Luca 79

Tenjiso: pacers were the least of my worries at MK last year. Weather was worst ever!!!!!!

Definitely don't go off too fast at Brighton Barbie1976, the undulations out towards the marina will make you pay laterimage

8 mile recovery run in a snow blizzard tonight, roll on spring!
  • Options

Great running, folks! I'm in awe.

I managed a 10k at the weekend - first run since the op on my leg last week. It went well enough and with no adverse effects, so it's back to marathon training with a vengeance this week: 4 miles tomorrow and Thursday, 9 miles Wednesday and Saturday, and 18 miles Sunday.

• Options
    MarkD wrote (see)
    Tenjiso: pacers were the least of my worries at MK last year. Weather was worst ever!!!!!! 

The weather contributed to my pacing confusion.  To start with, one of the early mile markers seemed well out (though I had to assume it was the garmin), then at around 8 miles my Garmin was about 0.25 miles out image  I lost all confidence in using the Garmin to pace myself, only to then be dragged along too fast by the 4:30 pacer until I let him go off somewhere around the halfway mark.  Of course, now I know that the course was amended due to flooding, which added the extra 0.2 miles, so I should have kept the faith with the garmin image

My pacing was all over the place on the day, but I've been more successful in subsequent 10k and HM races.  I put the latter success down to pacing the current mile, and not worrying over any (generally minor) pacing mistakes in previous miles.  This helps me settle into a rhythm, rather than speeding up or slowing down to try to get back "on track".  Hopefully I can keep my head and apply the same principle in Brighton!

Also, let's hope the weather is a significant improvement! image

Today I have a rest day.  Tomorrow is my first VO2max session of this marathon program.

• Options
    Water pouches sound awkward - presumably not the type of thing you can drop a 'salt' tablet in and carry with you then?

Snow was pretty coming down here yesterday, I dragged my son out on his bike to keep me company for 4 miles and it started whilst we were out. Extra harbour points for us! Didn't settle though. Still very cold out there again.

Wordslinger - glad your leg is okay and the opp went well.

Marked - I was laughing at 'harming' for garmin image

Salisbury lad - great running! I've got my first 18 miles this week - actually feeling quite excited,as 18 sounds like 'proper' marathon training image

8 for me today - just digesting my porridge and trying to work out a route. Don't think I've ever run 8 before - will no doubt involve running round and round the village and up and down our lane to make the miles up.
  • Options

afternoon all

well should have been doing 5 today but have over slept so as i have to be in work early today and Poohbear has the car I'm going to count the 3 walk to work and the 3 miles home again as my training for today

water pouches

for those interested these are the pouches we used last year and i assume will be using this year as well

• Options
    Ha, I'm pictured in the water pouch link (yellow afro!)

A slow 6 miles for me yesterday following the weekend's 20-miler. Was pleased with the time but I did get extremely bored!

I've got intervals tonight with the club (12x2 mins with 2 min recoveries) and will run the long way home to hopefully total around 10 miles.
  • Options

Hi everybody. Hopefully I'm not boring you with a question that has been asked many times, but I really want to run the Brighton Marathon this year and I don't have a place yet. Applying with certain charities not an option, I would give them money out of my pocket but I find it rather difficult to raise the hundrends of pounds they require. Is there any other way to register, maybe joining a team or something else? Thank you in advance! image

• Options
    Why don't you get a charity place and then you could just give them a cheque for the minimum sponsorship out of your own pocket? As long as they get the money it doesn't matter who donates it.
  • Options

It is true they don't care how you raise the money, but they want a minimum of 420. If it was let's say 150 quid then sure, I would give out my pocket. If a running club that can put me in that race wants some money, I would like to be a part of that running club and benefit from their knowledge as well. As much as I would like to help charity organisations I think they set the bar too high.

• Options

Lombster - love the picture! I'm still pondering over what to carry/use water wise. I hate carrying bottles and rarely use them, but I know I should over this distance. I just feel they put me off my stride in a way - I have tried bottles on a belt, but unless they are only about 100mls size they are too big and I find them uncomfortable.image

Anyway, great running from everyone - shame about the snow although we've just had rain non stop so very soggy hill reps today! This morning I couldn't find my long running tights so decided to wear 3/4 length ones with compression socks. Normally I only put the socks on after a run, but they felt really comfy even during the run. Is anyone wearing them for Brighton? Most info I've read seems to imply that they are beneficial for after a run but not so much during....is it then personal preference?

NIck S I had to pledge £450.00 for Oxfam which is very reasonable compared to some charities, have a hunt online thouhg or via the Brighton website.facebook there may be charities who only require a smaller amount. It is a problem though, I understand where you are coming from.

• Options
    Jelleybaby I'll be wearing my compression calf guards, I wore them in the off-road Beachy Head marathon and they really made a difference especially in those last few miles.
  • Options
    Jelley. I now live in compression socks both during and after runs. As a result I have been able to up mileage without injury as it helps recovery and I think help training runs. I have no proof it does but it works for me .... Even if I look "different".
  • Options
    60 days to go.

Make your training runs count image
  • Options
    Jelleybean - I've been wearing my compression socks / calf guards on my longer runs for the last few weeks, and I don't feel any problems with my calves / shins (hooray) I'll be wearing mine on the day, with capris or shorts (weather permitting!).
  • Options

Hi all, not been on here for months. I'd appreciate some sound advice if you would?

I've never been a runner and last April got it into my head that I wanted to complete a marathon this year. I'm due to run the Brighton one in April. I also thought it would be great to run the Brighton half as a taster which is this coming Sunday.

I started running last April doing the C25K and by the end of October was running 10 / 12 miles comfortably. The longest run I did was 14 miles when I suddenly developed pain in the outside of my left knee. This initially knocked me for six and my mileage plummeted. Then Christmas and New Year arrived and running took a back seat.  I'm pretty sure it's my ITB. I've tried stretches, a roller, a bit of massage and rediscovered running again about 4 weeks ago and thought my knee was improving.

I was trying to ease myself up to completing the half this weekend. I went out last Tuesday and ran 8 miles with minimal discomfort and the litmus test for me was going out the night before last to run 10. I ran 7 before my knee was giving me so much grief I probably walked half of the last 3 miles home.

I am absolutely gutted and really don't know what to do now. I really want to take part in the half this weekend...dunno whether to just not run between now and then and take it REALLY easy. I just feel that I am giving in too easily.....I also now feel that the full marathon is looking very unlikely.

Any words of comfort? or advice gratefully received!

• Options

I don't know anything about the specifics of your injury but if possible run slowly and carefully aiming only to finish safely and enjoy. If you haven't got proper running shoes now is the time to buy, or at least get cushioned insoles. Hope other members can be of more help image

• Options

there always run walk the wife Poohbear runs for 10 minutes then walks for 5 minutes

• Options
    Sports massage and proper stretching techniques plus running style normally sorts out ITB. I switched from heel striking to midfoot and never had knee problem since. If you run the same course a lot the camber of the road can have an effect. If none of these things are relevant to you then maybe seek professional advice and consider missing brigtonimage
  • Options
    Swervin Mervin - have you seen a physio to confirm what the problem is? They will be able to give you specific advise about how you should be treating it, and even if you should run the half at all!

Best of luck with sorting it. When I was injured last year before my first marathon, I also had a half booked that I wanted to do. physio asked me which was my target race, as I could either do the half and basically cripple myself so I couldn't do the marathon, so miss the half and recover properly for the marathon.
  • Options

A little bit late, but here is what I did yesterday, not much but was a little bit challenging - Back in the gym after the usual 10km cycle ride (burning 399 calories). Then warmup on the treadmill was 12 minutes at a faster pace than usual, so I ran 1.85km (1.15m) and burnt 115 calories. Main session was treadmill, and did a rolling hills session (mostly uphill with an incline of 4.5%, and I put the video on the treadmill showing me running through the Swiss Alps....Sweet!). Anyway, I did 30 minutes, with a speed of 8.6kph (5.2mph) and did 4.30km (2.6m) and burning 398 calories. Two minute cool down after that. Afterwards a light weight session.

KMs Ran: 6.10

Miles Ran: 4.1m

Calories Burnt: 852

Cycled: 10km/6m

Going back to the gym right now before work and its time to do the speed thing (200m - fast pace then 200m slow, then 200m fast etc etc). Chat later. Have fun training today guys! image 

• Options

A bit stiff after the 18 miles on Sunday, but did a nice gentle 3.5 miles last night, it felt nice and easy. I found strangely that when I was running, my legs felt great, it was only before and afterwards that they felt stiff .. funny old game this running. For the first time, the most tender part after the 18 miles is just a few inches below the hips on both sides .. not sure what muscle that is ! Am looking forwards already to 20 miles in 2 weeks time, never would have thought that would be the case 1.5 years ago when the furthest I had ever run was 2 miles imageimage