Options

Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Lee - this is my first marathon as well. I am doing a 16, 18, 20 and 22. In my training plan, my 22 mile run is 4 weeks before the race, from looking at others, some have 3 or even 2 week tapers at the end, not sure what the best is. I am finding for my mid-week runs that doing a shorter distance (say 4-5 miles) but really pushing it, so by doing a very hilly course or quick tempo is feeling beneficial compared to a longer but relaxed run .. whether it is in reality is another thing altogether ! With the names, you can do yours cheaply with only 3 letters ... image

• Options

Anyone got a spare place they'd like to sell for Brighton Marathon?

• Options

First timers:

Name: Definitely have your name on whatever top you're wearing. The crowd will give you massive support which really helps push you along especially in the closing stages, but having people shout out your name makes all the difference! I'm having 'Stevie C' on the front of my vest and 'Lombster' on the back. I'll also be wearing a wig to go with my charity vest which also adds to the cheers on the day!

Long runs: For those of you worrying about training, this will be my 8th marathon and I haven't got it right yet! Don't underestimate the importance of the long runs as that has been my downfall in the past. The marathon is in two halves, the first 20 miles, and the last 10km! It's the 18-22 mile long runs that will get you through the last 10km. To give you some perspective I ran my first marathon off the back of only one long run (around 18 miles; that was also the only run I did over half marathon distance!) and I paid the price after around 15 miles when my pace dropped off a cliff!

Finish time: Unless your training is going extremely well and you have a fair (realistic) estimate of your finish time I would suggest just aiming to complete the marathon as your goal. Again to give you some perspective, I was adamant I could finish my first marathon in sub-4 given I was a consistent 9 minute miler. I ran through the first half in slightly under 2 hours (all good there) but then as I passed through 15 miles (see long runs!) my pace slowed. That coupled with the fact I knew I was going to miss out on a sub-4 finish really didn't help the situation!

• Options

Training advice required please:

Hi all,

My training is roughly as follows:

• Mon -  2x3 mile run to work and back
    • Tue - Run with club (speed intervals) 7.5 miles covered (1 warmup, 5 intervals (inclusive of rest), 1 cooldown)
    • Wed - 1x3 mile run to work, 1x6 mile run back from work
    • Thu - Run with club (hills) Same distance as Tue
    • Fri - 2x3 mile run to work and back
    • Sat - Long run 12-22 miles
    • Total distance 48-58 miles depending on long run

My training is going well and although I have been tweaking it slightly I'm now hitting the stage where my long runs will be 20-22 miles at the weekend and I think it may need a further tweak! The speed work has definitely been helping, however I'm thinking of substituting the Thursday run with the club with a run of between 10-15 miles. What would you suggest? Any other comment welcome as always happy to shift things around.

• Options
    Thanks people for all the info will take it on board cheerz .
  • Options
    That's some mileage lombster good efforts.
  • Options

Thanks Lombster, to us first (and perhaps old!!) timers any information is useful.

• Options

Lomster agreed that the major element lacking in your plan is the mid-week medium long... make it a slow run at first, then try putting in a few miles @ MP in the middle if you arent doing any anywhere else. 

• Options

Lombster - What time are you going for this year - I saw in an earlier post you were looking for sub 3:15. Are you doing the Brighton Half?

Reason i ask is that i'm looking for a sub 3:15 (really a sub 3:10) and wondered what i should expect for the brighton half (estimated approx 1:29 based on 39:50 10k time)!

I would add that if you could put a middle distance run mid week comfortably then that would be a good tweek (i try and do a 10-12 miler mid week)

• Options

outdoor running session today. Not a great start with heavy snow falling, but as soon as I started it seemed to have dissappeared. I choose a route around Stevenage which involved hills, downhills, and 10 miles in distance. All is good but when heading back to Little Wymondley with 4 miles to go I was facing a strong headwind. Manage to hit the 10 mile mark for the first time outside the gym and also did this in 1 hour 30 minutes, so I am on target and whilst losing weight and improving my running techique, I am sure I am go a lot quicker than this when it comes to marathon day, but that is 65 days away. So mentally and physically this is a good sign, and I am well happy with that. Also did my usual 10km cycle to Stevenage train station and back burning 339 calories.

CALORIES BURNT: 1432

KMs RAN: 16

MILES RAN: 10

• Options

Well got the 4 miles done but it was a close run thing the settee nearly won                        

also if i can chuck in my 2 pennies worth make shore you do at least 1 run in the clothes you intended to wear on the day you don’t want to find that your wearing something new and it ethier rubs or chafes

brighton 2012

for all those running for the first time have a look at this it may give you a feel of what to exspect

the course

• Options
    Paul Went - I'm training for sub-3. I did 3:14 last year but training a lot more for it this time round. I would have thought with a sub40 10k you'd be looking at going easily under 1:29 for a HM, which should see you to a sub3:15 mara. My current half pb is 1:27 but will need to go sub1:25 to be anywhere near a 3 mara.
  • Options

Well done Toby3 for beating the battle with the settee! I will wear my charity T shirt (Oxfam) before the day but it's far too cold at the moment image

Just back from a very windy but at least dry 10km in 52 mins, bit chilly though but not as cold as 2 weeks ago. Did 5 laps of a hilly route yesterday with 1 mile each side - again very windy which I hate and really find it hard to battle against - it almost blows me over!

good running everyone keep it up 65 days to go!!!

• Options
    Cheers lombster - that's exactly what I thought ! Will aim for sub 3:15 (3:10) and go for sub 3 next year with more intensive training.

Best of luck with the training
  • Options

8 miles again tonight on treadmill, I will be so glad when the lighter nights come so I can do some of my midweek training outside, as even with having treadmill in front of telly it still seems like a hard slog.  It was much more fun doing the 10k at Longleat on Sunday!

Good training going on by everyone.  Lombster thanks for the good advice for us novices

• Options

Toby3, great videos, really starts to build the excitement and tension .. although I have to say that all of that warming up looks far too tiring for my liking ... image

• Options

pace bands

here's another link that might help

• Options

That's good advice, Lombster - have to agree that it's the long runs that make all the difference. Hoping to break 4 hours this time.

Haven't run since my 27k on Sunday - had a minor operation on my leg on Tuesday to remove a vein and blood clot, but should be back running by the weekend. (Surgeon said I could run 24 hrs after op if I wanted. I didn't want.) So I'll only miss a few days of the training programme, and will be back to 30k runs next week.

Hope you're all well.

• Options

had a day off from work today so I spent a bit more time in the gym. So did the usual 10km cycle (there and back, 35 minutes in total burning 339 calories), and started with a 12 minute warm up on the treadmill (1.67km and 143 calories burnt). After the strecthes, back on the treadmill and it was the same thing as I did two days ago, which was to jog one mile, then do 200m sprinting, then 200m jogging, then 200m sprinting and so on and repeating the process 16 times. After that, I carried on jogging and then did a cool down. My results were that I sprint/jog 6.57miles/10.57km, burnt 920 calories in 65 minutes. Afterwards I went onto the stationary bike and rode for 24 minutes, cycling 11.30km (7m) and burning 201 calories. A weights session finished off the day, and before I left, I weighed myself once again, and lost 0.4kgs in the last two days. I am now 76.5kgs. WHOOP! WHOOP!

Then I got home, I also ripped off my big toe nail which has been causing me problems for the last few days. Its great to have it off, but now a long process of applying cream onto it for the next 60 days begins! 

CALORIES BURNT: 1603

KMs RAN: 12.24

MILES RAN: 7.58

MILES/KM CYCLED: 13/21.30

• Options

Chickened out of my 8 miles yesterday due to busy work day & freezing windimage

Did the 8 this morning, bright crisp sunny but cold & will move my rest day from tomorrow to yesterday.

Tip for first timers: Trust in your training, it is the 1 thing you can control. There are 1001 things outside your control which you shouldn't waste energy worrying over. This will be my 15th marathon, each has been totally different through things like organisation & weather affecting race days both positively & negatively but nothing I could do to affect them. 

• Options
    Wise words Gloryboy and WOW! 15th marathon! Do you have a favourite and if so, what's made it the best?

Daniel B well done on the excellent training, but more info than required on the toe nail situation thanks.....I feel a bit ill now.

Lots of good runs clocking up on here again as we approach the weekend of LSR. Did my mid-week 12.5 miles on Weds morning, a tough climb up to Devils Dyke, head-on into an icy wind (just for a change).....made breathing very hard work. The gale-assisted, downhill, return leg was super quick though image

What is it with the windy weather this year?? Every run seems to be hampered by a full-on gale. It's very tiring. Anyone else in need of a nice calm day? 11k on the treadmill tomorrow, at least it won't blow a gale in the gym!
  • Options

20 to do today then i expect i be out with Poohbear tomorrow as she has 14 to do so Saturday night will be feet up in front of the telly

• Options

Thank you all for your kind words. I still have not run and now have a cold, I am hoping to get out here in the next few days and just see how it goesimage

Some great training going on..well done to everyone for keeping at itimage

• Options

Keep up the good work folks. I managed 19 Miles last night after work. Had to improvise as I have a busy weekend. its nice to have got out the way earlier in the week though image

• Options

did the usual 10km cycle ride to Stevenage train station and back (339 calories). Back in the gym slogging it out, and the warm up conisisted another 12 minutes on the treadmill (1.67km jogging and 141 calories burnt). Main session on the treadmill lasted 30 minutes, with the machine at a 2% incline and running spped at 10kph (6.5mph), so I did 5.2km (3.2 miles) and burnt 472 calories and the 5 minute cool down I did 0.43km and burnt an further 23 calories. Then I went onto the stationary bike and did 24 minutes light cycling which I did 8.86km (5.5 miles), and burnt 130 calories. Finished off the gym session with a light weights session.

CALORIES BURNT: 1105

KMs RAN: 7.30

MILES RAN: 4.5

MILES/KM CYCLED: 18.86/11.5

Not looking forward to Sunday. Planned to do a 15 mile run but looks like I got heavy snow falling in the Anglia region. Dam it. Oh well, but tomorrow at least I can do a 5k park run at Finsbury Park, London image

• Options

Afternoon all

Well 20 miles done and dusted had a few spots of rain but on the whole it actual sunny most of the way around still quite chilly though the whole thing took 3:13:25 but that’s with the stopping for traffic if you look at the moving time it drops to 3:08:49 had a look at last year’s time for the same run and I’m 26 minutes fast on the moving time than i was at this stage last year

just have to keep it up but i am still no were near where i need to be to go sub 4hr

• Options
    15 marathons glory boy wow. impressive. Which one did you do your best time on?
  • Options
    Hi all. Back for year 4. It's the only holiday I'm getting this year.

Toby 3. That's definitely sub 4 running!

Wokingham half for me Sunday. Good opportunity for a time trial run.....Friday night eating donuts may prevent a good race????
  • Options

Fabulous running everyone well done!

Mark D - someone I knew did Boston marathon and they all ate doughnuts and coffee before the run and really enjoyed it - typical US approach perhaps?? Good luck though.

I did a very wet hill rep session with the club last night and tomorrow is 2 hrs varied running - attempting to go up one long hill at HM  pace.......but I do then go down the other side so some postives I suppose! But it's about 3 miles uphill, so I'll be puffing hard I'm sure. image