Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I have just made a very risky purchase. Fed up of these lower leg niggles I have decided to see if its anything to do with gt2000v2. Having always run in asics gt series I have jumped ship and ordered some brooks glycerin 11.

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Skinny - if you're updating the table, my age has changed.

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

169cm, 60kg, 28, 19:06, 41:23, never raced 5 or 10 miles, 1:37:20 (or 1:33:55 if I'm allowed to count the second half of VLM), 3:09:47
    I did 'win' a few local races when not many women showed up e.g. a 10K where the first man finished about 10 minutes ahead of me!

DT I did post a bloody picture. Those are my legs in my avatar.  For scale, the shoes are men's UK size 7.5.

happy birthday Tommy, belatedly

• Options

No no no, strictly imperial measurements, please.

Also: let's call them calves.

• Options
    literatin wrote (see)

Just for the record, we are NOT adding bust size to the top trumps table.

lou Diamonds wrote (see)
    Worried that Mace might beat you this time?

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

ah yes....i think thats why we all originally thought you were a man on p and d. Ha...i idiotically called them calfs!!

Interestingly (which normally means not) the calves is a global term for the lower leg muscles.

As Lit says.....no metrics, just imperial and age.

• Options

Marrows - I can convert metric to imperial - yes, I am THAT clever.image

Will be tomorrow now though. Muddy haven't forgotten your 10k either.

Happy birthday Tommy for whenever it was!image

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

For the record, I'm young enough to prefer the new-fangled metric units image.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ah 3x2miles. What intensity was that at Richard?

I use that session as a Half marathon pace job, perhaps 2 weeks out from a target race, and then something lighter like 3x1mile the week itself.

I have seen 3x2miles at 10k pace recommended by some "experts", with the qualification that if you can handle that in training, you'll 100% hit it in a race. To me that's like saying night will follow day, as that sounds a colossally hard workout unless you're a new runner whose zones haven't levelled out yet.

I do remember a year or 2 back, a lady on one of the threads on training was championing the 3x2m 10k session, but on actual analysis of her session, she was barely hitting it on rep 1, off on rep 2, and often just sacking the third rep off.

To try and qualify how hard that session would be for me for instance, I once had a session that was 2miles 10k pace, with something like 3x1/2miles 5k pace after.

With about 5hours sleep, and no fuelling, I optimistically strode up the track at 7am one morning, to attempt 8 laps (+18metres) at my new (and scary) 10k zone. Lap 1 was a struggle, lap 2 was slower, and then it went downhill from there....

But like I was saying, I was just passing through, so, as you were image

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

You won't be following this in a hurry then, SG?!

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/articlePages/article/39

• Options

I think that's exactly what he just said, yes.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

It can't be that crackers an idea though if McMillan are writing about it?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

be my guest in trying it DT19 by all means...

• Options

Marrows - your calf muscles are like marrows! Measured mine this morning - 14 inches just.

SG - I believe the lady on one of the threads was McFlooze on this thread before Lou obviously caught up with her at the end of the third rep and put her out of action for 9 months!

We've had this debate at least twice before but I couldn't do that session outside a race environment.

Richard those times highlight the point I was making a few weeks ago about your training and your race times being out of synch. That's 6 miles in training at 40:54 against a 6.25 mile race PB of 44:02. Or even the last two reps at 26:54 for 4 miles (6:44/mile) against a very recent parkrun PB of 21:13 (6:48/mile). I know you had a two minute recovery in the 4 miles but its like you are getting no benefit at all from race day adrenaline? And you say the training session was comfortably uncomfortable whereas at those zones you should have been on your knees after each 2 miles.

Your session was actually 2m at 10k, 2*2m at 5k pace all off 2 min recoveries - ouch!

• Options

Skinny, I believe 14 inches is quite, erm, skinny for a bloke. It seems to be standard size for women, which means it's hard for those of us with 13" calves (I measured this morning too!) to buy boots that don't look like big flappy wellies.

In running news, I have entered Stirling 10k and Glasgow half.

• Options

Welcome, Marrows.

Bad news, DT.

Happy birthday, Tommy lad.

Skinny - Perhaps Richard didn't have to stop to do his shoe laces up (twice) during this workout...or perhaps he did that during the recoveries! Interesting point you make though, good analysis. Does seem all a bit out of kilter, Richard - any thoughts yourself on what might be holding you back on the training - race conversion, or (shoe lace trouble apart) is there something we're not taking into account?

On 3 x 2 miles @ 10k pace - bonkers! Far too much like a race effort in training in my book. I think the much discussed (on this thread) 8 x 1k version is tough, but stays on the right side of the training v straining balance for peaking.

Lit - Good stuff. No Robin Hood for you then I take it?

Age group Nationals for me this weekend in Birmingham. Not my first national event having done the XC Champs in February, but it's a bit easier to be anonymous amongst 1600+ other runners strung out round a 2.5 mile lap of a park, than it is amongst a handful of runners running round a 400m track! It's at least a year too early for me to be anything other than off the back of the pack, never mind competitive, but having consulted one of last year's champions (thanks, Dean) decided to do it for the experience this year anyway. Having said that, the V40s are being bundled in with the V35s for the 1500m tomorrow, and on paper, one of the V35s is only a handful of seconds quicker than me at the distance. Will therefore try to identify him, and hang on to the back of him as best I can when the others go shooting off into the distance - quickest man in the field is Notts' V35 Martin Whitehouse with a recent best of 3:59! image Feeling quite excited and 'up for it' though.

Hopefully the weather will be kind tomorrow, though Sunday's 800m is perhaps in danger of being washed out if the worst scenarios in the forecast come to pass. Thanks also to Muddy who is putting me up tonight, as it's a morning race tomorrow, so hoping to have a short run out, and a meal and a pint with him (and possibly Chris) this evening.

• Options

Nothing wrong with size of muscle but no fat round it probably keeps the size down.

Breasts yesterday, kinky boots today - Pete keep calm!

When is Stirling 10k? Probably a lot of historical stuff going on there at moment with it being 700 years anniversary of Bannockburn on 18th September.

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

*Thinking soothing thoughts*   My right calf measures 35.5cm but the left, on my recently injured side, is only 34cm.  I'm definitely unbalanced.

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone, birthday was on Sunday.

Good luck tomorrow and Sunday, Bob, I'm sure you'll be able to keep up with the group, I'm expecting a couple of PB's from you. Have a good one tonight!

DT - hope the injury doesn't keep you out for too long. My hip flexor injury was a right pain to get rid of, plenty of stretching and physio massage did the trick.

Thinking about heading to a parkrun tomorrow morning, possibly Beeston to see how it compares.  

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭
    The boss at our club sets 3x2M at 5k pace off 400m recoveries, three times in each marathon training cycle. I have no idea where he gets these sessions from - he claims it's from a RW schedule but I've never been able to find it. I do my own thing those weeks!
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    marrows wrote (see)
    The boss at our club sets 3x2M at 5k pace off 400m recoveries, three times in each marathon training cycle. I have no idea where he gets these sessions from - he claims it's from a RW schedule but I've never been able to find it. I do my own thing those weeks!

WOW! Is that session even possible?

• Options

I would guess they must be slightly more doable in a training group rather than on your own but still......image

I think my 400m recovery might need to take about a week!

• Options

He sounds like a fuckwit, marrows. Happy birthday Tommy.

And no Robin Hood, I think. It doesn't fit in as well with Stirling (and possibly Anstruther) 10k and is quite far to travel. Also Glasgow is new (to me) and exciting. Stirling is on 14 Sept.

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭
    He's not a fuckwit but the track sessions are funny. He measures the distance for his session by garmin rather than lines on the track which cuts the distance by about 10% so maybe it's doable for him, if not the rest of us who prefer to count laps.
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

The circumference of my calves is 14 inches.

• Options

Must ... resist ... measuring ... calves.

Hi Marrows - was your 5k time relatively recent as it looks very quick ?

Richard - I was wondering the same thing as Stevie G whether it was a half or a kill or cure end of plan 10k session. Good session based on your explanation. I built up to 3 x 1.7m hilly off 2 mins recovery a week before my first half this spring  and it was a tough but representative workout of the half that followed.

Skinny - Cheers - I am racing a 10k (ish) tomorrow evening. Perhaps. I haven't quite decided how I feel about racing after the weeks running so far. Anyway. I shall I be unlikely to trouble 38:xx so feel free to update when you get the time.

Bob - image

Tommyimage for the birthday - not pre-empting anything with the parkrun but I'm sure you'll go well. Did you get your report yet ?

Mace - wherefore art thou ? Last I heard you were troubled by injury - how's that going ?

• Options

Good luck tomorrow, Tommy. Will be interested to hear what you make of Beeston. That might well be my next run out at parkrun - maybe on the 23rd.

My Garmin seems to over estimate the distance (and thus pace too) by about 5% on the track, Marrows, but yes 5k pace + 5% to 10% probably would be close to 10k pace, making the session still very hard, but just about manageable. I think you do well to choose another workout though!

Calves fun - similar issues to Pete with the disparity between calves. Just over 15" on the left and just over 15 and a half on the right. The difference between my legs is very obvious, though more so in the upper legs where I tore my left quad twenty years ago.

Yeah, Mace - give us a wave / update - hope all's well.

Richard - If you get the adrenaline from the track, any chance you can drop into a track race? Upcoming track events below - I notice there a couple at Grangemouth for instance - not a million miles from you:

http://www.runbritainrankings.com/results/resultslookup.aspx?datefrom=9-Aug-2014&dateto=31-Aug-2014&terraintypecodes=TI
    http://www.runbritainrankings.com/results/resultslookup.aspx?datefrom=1-Sep-2014&dateto=30-Sep-2014&terraintypecodes=TI

Muddy - See you later.

In the context of other things going on in the world, I hesitate to say that this is very sad, but it's certainly a great shame:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/28693970

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

good luck at parkrun Tommy.

Bob/Muddy- what race are you doing later??

Just booked myself a weekend in Scotland. Having to fly into Glasgow then make our way to Edinburgh as flights direct are about 150% more. Probably stop for lunch in Glasgow as never been there. Good news is that it clashes with valentines day so it removes any slight obligation to try and make a romantic effort as im outta town!!

I dont think I could do 3 x 2 miles at 10kp. I have however just had my next 4 weeks schedules and my peak 10k session is 2 x (5x1k) at 10kp off 90 secs with 3 minutes between sets. Could hurt a little.

• Options

DT, I'd be interested to know how personalised your plan is - if you get 4 weeks at a time, is that based on feedback that you've given them from the previous 4 weeks, or is it more based on your forthcoming race plans? And is there much contact while you're doing each block of training, or is it a follow the plan and report back afterwards kind of thing?

Either way that session doesn't look like much fun. Rather you than me! image

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I gave a list of traget races at the start and 2 of those are up in september. The last 12 and next 4 weeks are about startford 10k on 14 september.

I did say to him last night that I was worried that my longrun was predominantly maxing out at 90 mins and I had a half in september. His response was that we are prioritsing 10k for now and will draw out the longrun for Novembers half. Equally I e-mailed him in the week saying that I was generally feeling a bit knackered and sore and my personal life was going to make things tricky in the next two weeks so he has taken that on board and given me two pretty easy weeks.

I think the plan is structured around race planes, unless i given specific feedback.