Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I desperately need a 3 second pb in september!!

• Options

All above updated for

Skinny getting back to his race weight

Muddy getting into the 38:xxs for 10k (WAVA not improved)

Marrows joining us and taking 5 silver cells from various unfortunates - Marrows I gave you two individual race wins/prizes, no team and no parkrun wins - if you have an accurate number I'll update but Pete was already suffering a bad table update so I wasn't going to take his last silver cell off him on a guess.

Tommy's birthday.

Marrows some basic rules of the table.

You are ranked in 10k PB order.

You can only win a highlighted cell against your peers in the same table.

Eventually Lit will have all the gold cells apart from heightimage

• Options

I've had time for a proper read back.

My injured leg is still holding up to what I am doing which is still limited - am going to try a slow 5 miles on Sunday. Lou well done spotting that my cramp in the tri was in my opposite calf which is just now starting toloosen up a bit and Dts description of it feeling like I'd pulled a muscle for a few days was very true although I did manage to get out for a 26 mile bike ride yesterday and have had a couple of short runs (less than 3 miles).

Hope injury sorts itself DT.

Richard - no nervous excitement at all on a race day? That must be unusual.

Marrows - would you like to introduce yourself with your running story? Looks like you've only tried at marathon and 5k so far?image

Good luck over the weekend to Muddy, Tommy, Bob and anyone else pitting themselves against the clock.

Cheers, Skinny

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

Haha. I'm not too bothered by losing the silver cell for weight but the wava hurts a bit image.  The only way I'll get either of them back is if marrows is promoted at DT's expense. Glory is so transient image.

• Options

I just cycled 10 miles home in the pissing rain only for it to stop as soon as I arrived. image Still, all of those giant puddles would still have been there.

I already know Marrows's running story but I want to know what her PhD is about.

• Options
    Oh no - not another brainiac!
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Richard - last yr I was following that 10k plan of building towards 3*2m sessions.  I found the sessions hard, very hard. But I could tell they were doing their job and could feel myself get strong off them. BUT my advice is I felt like I was burning myself out in training, felt like a race a week...so I wouldn't recommend following that plan for too long, i was doing them for about 8 weeks...as I could feel the crash coming.  

But if you ease off on the other intensive training and save yourself for these sessions you could see big improvements.

• Options

Tommy - The Little Aston 5 mile race on the 31st looks good - I was looking for a race possibility for that weekend.

DT- Bob is doing a 1500/800 double this weekend; I am doing Stourbridge Stumble this evening.

• Options

Ok - I couldn't resist: calf circumference 15.5 inches, both legs.  I've noticed since my teens that my right arm is, muscularly,  much more developed than my left, but the less said about that the better.

I mentioned to McF that the 3x2mile session had come up again.  "Tell Mr G", she replied "that the published version I was following said 2 or 3 x 2 miles and I did 2x2+1 and completed the session"  

Anyway, the session is too big for me on my meagre mileage, but Richard, your paces do suggest that you are capable of better than the race times achieved recently. Pull your finger out mate.

Muddy/Bob/Tommy - Good luck racers!

Welcome Marrows - I don't have a problem with more interlectules, like myself, joining the thread.  

No marathon plans for this year.  I was considering doing Chesterfield 'just for fun' and to show support for the inaugural hometown marathon (and cos my dad did a previous incarnation of the Chesterfield marathon when he was about my age), but the length of time it took to recover from Brighton has put me off a bit.  I've got an entry in for London, and there is usually quite a high probability of getting a club place (3 in 3 last year!), but failing that I've been considering Manchester or maybe something in the Autumn 2015.

Tommy - I'm enjoying the Daniels plan: I like the variety.  however, as I've mentioned before I'm having to cut back most of the sessions quite a bit to stick to his %age quality rules.  If I can avoid injury for a few months I've no doubt that it will be very effective.

DT - I will be interested to hear what your coach recommends in terms of a long run in the run up to Droitwich as I've decided not to include a specific "long run" for the time being, but tried to make 2 or 3 runs of around 10 miles week.

Pete - know exactly how you feel.  I was the same when Muddy took my gold cell 
    (those were the days) for being tallest, equal with Bob.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Good luck racers then. Hope forecast doesn't develop as planned tomorrow, Bob.

I've got an entry in for London. I would defer if I got in and do it in 2016. I can sell that at home more readily as I will have just turned 40 and I'm allowed a landmark challenge. Plus my gfa will be 3.15.

What is the bench mark of intellectual for this thread? I am much brighter than my spelling and grammar suggests, I have other people to sort that for me outside this forum!!

Wife's first Saturday back in work. My first Saturday with two children. Beat already!!

Lou, me too. My long run, with exception of one, has maxed at 90 min. I just guess he will push then to about 105min. I hope he doesn't increase the threshold runs!!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    marrows wrote (see)
    The boss at our club sets 3x2M at 5k pace off 400m recoveries, three times in each marathon training cycle. I have no idea where he gets these sessions from - he claims it's from a RW schedule but I've never been able to find it. I do my own thing those weeks!

That is shocking. I'm not generally a fan of the total distance of the reps being higher than the race distance pace, except in certain situations, but to be almost double the distance?

I did 2miles at 5k pace as a session once, that's quite hard.

To go again twice more, off only 400metres is just amazing,

I can only imagine it's one of these beginner type plans where the persons 5k pace isn't actually that far off their easy pace.

Sounds to be like one of these "coaches" that a lot of social running clubs have, that is a volunteer who might have picked up a "level 1" badge, but doesn't have any idea on pace zones, training loads and race aims?

I don't completely knock it, as I had many a fun session at my first club, doing mad stuff like watching him let off a firework at one end of a field, and when it went BANG, we sprinted in towards it!

Stuff like that and sprinting on grass in the dark, or doing sprints in the winter round icy corners!

Looking back, I think I'd be too scared to risk any of these!

• Options

Afternoon.

Thanks to Muddy for his hospitality - very enjoyable run and evening out with him and Chris last night - good to meet the latter at last, and definitely less scary in person than some of those sprint finish race photos would suggest!image

And a good day today too - excellent to be part of an event like the British Masters - 1500m today. After remarking on what a perfectly still morning it was as we wandered into the stadium, the conditions had turned blustery in the time it took Muddy and I to get my race number from under the main stand and walk back out to look for my old man who had come down by train. Became even more noticeable as I did my warm up around the adjacent playing field.

Gathered in the high performance centre next to the stadium 20 minutes before the 11.20 race time, and were then walked across by an official to the track. Having a good chat with some fellow competitors, one who I knew previously (and went on to win the V45 race with a fantastic run), and others that I only got to know today took my mind off the building nerves. The schedule was also running a little late, so the warm up was a bit of a distant memory by the time we finally lined up for our race - V35s and V40s all bundled in together. Identified the V35 who was not much quicker on paper than me, and we're off.

As expected the pack soon drifted away, with the V35 tucked in just behind me. The wind was really swirling round the stadium and seemed against you throughout, so was happy when he made a move to come alongside me, and then move past. 56 seconds at 300m. He cut in a bit swiftly, causing me to break my stride, and whilst I'm sure it wasn't deliberate, got my heckles up enough to make me even more determined not to let him get away. Just over 75 seconds at 400, just inside target pace. Wanted to be 2:15 at the 700m mark, and was about 2:16/2:17 which proved enough of a spur to ensure the elastic between me and the guy in front was stretched no further. 2:36 at 800m - ok. Had possibly drifted off pace by a second or two to just over 3:37 at the bell, but the effort was really going into ensuring I didn't finish at the back of the field now.

• Options

Kicked on round the bend, and began moving up on to my rivals shoulder going down the back straight to put some pressure on him. He responded, so I continued to sit in. We both kicked at 200m to go, and was happy to hold station as I was convinced I'd have the better final kick down the straight. Off the top bend and in goes the kitchen sink. Still trailing with 70m to go but closing, up level with him at about 50, and a final all out kick eases me past in the last 15-20 for a 75/76 second final lap.

Realistically, he was the only target I was going to be close to on paper (with his 1.4 RB handicap and all!) so was delighted to actually edge him out with another PB of just under 2 seconds - 4:53.6 officially: -

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/560795030

There didn't appear to be much warmth in the post-race handshake I offered him. image

A good warm down with a couple of the other fellas, including the V45 winner, who is a brilliant character, a smashing bloke and was actually considering driving back to Lincolnshire for a 2.30pm 5 mile race because, 'it's got a good prize list'! image

Loved it today, looking foward to tomorrow, Bertha permitting, and will definitely be back next year to hopefully be a bit more in the thick of things. Thanks again to Dean for persuading me to go for it - you were spot on. image

• Options

well done Bob, that all sounds excellent (except the bit where you have to run 1500m). Hope the hurricane holds off tomorrow.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Bob - fantastic, I appreciate no medals were under threat but you ran the race like a true championship final.  Held your target in sight and blasted past when there no time for him to respond. A skill I could learn from you!   Fabulous racing.  and to PB in a national champs is very satisfying. image

Gutted to miss racing myself but I spent the day surfing (big waves, sunny day but breezy winds are good for that, not so much for track) so it soon passed!

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Bob - Fantastic stuff!  A proper race, and well paced for a PB.  Can't ask for much more than that.  And all the championship race rigmarole before the start... got me nervous for tomorrow just thinking about it.  Just as well I've had my usual couple of glasses of pre-race red wine to calm things down.  See ya tomorrow!  image

Oh, I somehow managed to tempo-run round my local parkrun to a V40 course record this morning.  Hardly textbook taper but fancied loosening the legs, and a nice confidence boost.  (And the V45/V50 records are quicker, so it's a pretty soft record anyway!)

• Options

Well done Bob image 

I bobbed along with Bob this morning to check out the masters events with an eye to maybe trying something like that out next year. After admitting curiosity about all the events (bar the walking race) Bob's dad suggested I convert to the decathlon image 

So Stourbridge Stumble 10k( ish ) for me tonight, a mixed terrain hilly affair. I didn't feel too energetic and a bit tight through the quads during the little warm up I had and thought I could maybe do it at half marathon pace given this weeks mileage. In the end I had to settle for steady pace as it was mostly single file after the first mile. It was a pretty varied course with sandy trails, muddy climbs, overgrown sections, bits where I had to watch my head, grass, the odd bit of road and stony trail. Followed a Bournville Harrier for quite a way round the course then around 4 and a half miles thought there might be a chance of catching one of his club mates about a quarter of a mile in front so went into 10k pace territory, but there was too much to do.  Failed to stop my watch at the finish but it was an unremarkable 43 ish. Definitely had one eye on my holiday next week; the pint afterwards went down very well.  

Best of luck tomorrow Bob, hopefully the weather will not spoil either of our plans.

• Options

Cheers, all.

Richard - Shame about Grangemouth, boo to that, would love to see how you go on the track - maybe next year. The alternatives sound good, hope you find some adrenaline for those. The XC certainly seems to be good prep for track if that is the way you go.

Will have to concentrate on twisting Muddy's arm in the meantime - think I'm wearing him down, and found a willing co-conspirator today in my old man I think! Wonder if we'll hear about his Stourbridge exploits tonight - I know his quads were still playing up from Thursday night's session earlier.

Dean - That was the way I looked at it. If I can't race at the front, at least race where I can - as you imply, that little battle was my final - this year. Excellent consolation prize for you today, sounds great.

Phil - Ta! Yes, the whole report to an official to be walked across shenanigans definitely ups the ante a notch. Is why I turned to the nearest athlete to me and engaged him in conversation to take my mind off it. Great experience though, and I'm sure you'll rise to the occasion too. Looking forward to watch you race for a medal. Well done on the course record today even if it wasn't out of the coaching manual - you seem to be made of different stuff to the rest of us anyway, so you'll probably thrive off it. image

EDIT - I see we have heard from Muddy. Yes, that 'race' walking was pretty painful to watch! Not to mention a complete mystery with the multi-coloured cards being shown to them on the way round. image Clearly not PB material tonight's race, even in peak nick, so a good decision to approach it as you did and sounds an enjoyable run out and a suitable spot of post-race hydration. image Enjoy your break.

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Super job Bob!

muddy the 5K is from parkrun the week before London marathon this year.  I am quicker this year than in previous years because I used to be iron deficient, and started taking iron pills. So 5K and marathon are on PEDs.

Lit - what's it about? It's about to finish, that's what! I simulate neural networks, or, more often, I attempt to prove with pen and paper that the simulations really ought to work (though often they don't, and I can't prove that they should).

Steve - no we definitely have no coach! We meet up, we run together. At VLM I ran into a guy who had been in the club and left, to find him skinnier and faster than before, and he explained that our club had been making him fat by taking him to the pub every week.  The firework is a good idea.

I'm off for a very long bike ride in very wet weather image

• Options

My old club used to go to the Vic on Wednesdays and the Crown on Fridays (sometimes followed by the Star or the Post, or both). My new club doesn't seem to go to the pub after training at all! And I was relying on them to tell me which the good local pubs were. Boo.

Single file in a race sounds really annoying, Muddy.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    Excellent pb muddy, tri jobby from Skinny ( very encouraging ) and more blistering stuff from Bob.Well done chaps. Sorry if I've missed any other achievements, am sneaking a couple mins on my phone while my kids are fighting and will read back properly later

Welcome marrows, nice calves image

Bob, PP - good luck today. Where/ what time in Birmingham is it ? I'm possibly not too far away in Lichfield so might come along and wave banners and shout for you image

Not much going on here, decided to rest up a bit to shake the niggle,

got ill ( running withdrawal ?!) then ridiculously busy at work catching up and clearing my work as much as possible in readiness for 2 weeks summer holiday.

Am now laying in a tent (on first full day of said holiday) listening to the pissing rain and the kids fighting ( rain and fighting kids always seem to follow me around the country) wondering if I should jog around the nearby city in the wet, go back to work or kill myself .... all have equal appeal right now ...
  • Options
    mace wrote (see)
    Bob, PP - good luck today. Where/ what time in Birmingham is it ? I'm possibly not too far away in Lichfield so might come along and wave banners and shout for you image 

I wouldn't bother, mace, it'll be raining.

You've gone on holiday to Birmingham?

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    We're here visiting friends for a surprise 40th, then I'll be taking the rain elsewhere ...
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done Bob. Good luck today.

Muddy, theres normally a few from my club at that. I've heard its hard work.

Mace, I'm in same boat. Not run since Wednesday to shake hip niggle and now feel Ill in other departments. I am often accused of having no adventure but I point blank refuse to sleep in a tent.Throw children in as well and I see your quandary!!

Poor weather and lack of spin classes this am means I'm off to body pump shortly.
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    DT19 wrote (see)

I'm off to body pump shortly.

image keep it clean DT, kids might be reading this.

Great stuff yesterday Bob, seems like you judged it to perfection. Good luck today, although if the weather is anything like it is here, you might need a snorkel, good luck also PP. Glad to hear Chris is doing well, hopefully see him on here soon.

Muddy, sounds tough going but still a decent time. Will let you know about Little Aston, lot of house moving stuff going on at the moment which is knackering up my weekend somewhat.

Mace, sounds like you're having a relaxing and pleasant holiday....Hope the niggle clears up soon.

Marrows, sounds complicated. Enjoy your bike ride, a 3:49 start sounds a bit early to me.

Skinny - Page 400 image.

Well I went to parkrun yesterday but it didn't exactly go to plan. Basically woke up late, was intending to go to Beeston but missed the turning off the ring road as I was on auto pilot so ended up going to Rushcliffe image. Had time for a 0.9miles in 08:28 for a warm up, got to the start line and got asked to pace someone to sub 21, agreed to that. Then my watch wouldn't reset, but decided to run anyway which made for interesting calculations on the run...Anyway, think I finished in 20:56 and the pace missed his target by a couple of seconds. Bob, would have been a good one for you yesterday, loads of people from 18:45ih through to 21 minutes so some decent groups forming etc. I also witnessed the most spectacular case of going out hard then detonating I've ever seen! A lad went screaming off the front but was caught by the group behind him as they went over the hill on the first lap, we passed him at the end of the first lap and he looked like he was running through custard with lead boots on, think he ended up finishing in around 25-26 minutes. 

Watch is still scrambled so might need to invest in a new Garmin, if anyone's got any recommendations.

• Options

Swift call in for Mace before we go in 10.

I'm due off around 2.30, Phil an hour or so later I'd imagine.

weather horrific in Notts. Still going, but if it's like this in Brum, I can't see how they can get the program completed.

• Options
    Just realised Mace asked for where too - Alexander Stadium, mate.

Mrs Bob driving, very, very wet roads! Checked the radar before we left tho & Brum looks better favoured, with the worst due to clear quite shortly.
  • Options
    Woo! Await an official time, but smashed my 800m PB by about 8 seconds with something around 2:21 - get the feckety-feck in!
  • Options
    Excellent Bob, image and a party hat (on mobile from the boarding tunnel at Birmingham T2)