Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    Big-Bad-Bob wrote (see)

DT - I think it's the frequency (up to 3 times per week on occasion?) of the threshold (or thereabouts) sessions that could be dragging you down. .

I was thinking this and also that there was more than one occasion where you'd get your schedule but because you were busy with other commitments Friday-Monday you'd squash all your quality and a long run into the middle of the week, so there was a lot of it all together.

• Options

Oh, and good report, Tommy and another surprise PB! It's like the Heanor Pudding Run all over again!

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes, the fact I have been squeezing them all into week days due to weekend committments is probably less than ideal. After this weekend stag do I have a lot more weekend opportunity to train with only perhaps 3 weekends between then and end of the year blocked out. Yep, I've spoken with Mr V on this  and that is exactly how he felt.

Each morning i wake up expecting my leg to feel a bit better, however its just not improving, which is really frustrating.  

Bob, when im going well I often feel like a complete day off leaves me feeling worse than a gentle 20 minutes might have done.

• Options

Did your coach know you were doing that with the sessions? Because if I were being paid to coach someone who did that, I'd either adjust the plan or tell him not to.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Not really, certainly not on a regular basis. There was the odd occassion where i said it would. We agreed at the start that he would set a plan but life would get in the way and I would just move things around to fit the best days. To be fair to him he did tell me not to load a particular part of the week and to tell him if i was having to do so...

• Options

This stalker's patience ran out - too slow, Lou! I'll say no more other than that you're clearly in a touch of form, and if we do both make it to Shelton in October it could be a rare opportunity for a closely contested thread smackdown. image

I also picked the below up from the 'Also Recommended' section of an article you linked elsewhere this morning. Snigger, snigger, chortle, chortle, divided by a common langauage, etc, etc...

http://www.activebeat.com/fitness/10-moves-to-firm-that-fanny/9/

(And yes, being the overgrown schoolboy I still am, I did deliberately link the article at the most appropriate sub-page. image )

Sounds like it would be worth a bit more dialogue with your coach once you're back on your feet then, DT.

• Options

Bob - Managed to shake off a bit of frustration with a lunchtime jaunt of 5 miles somewhere between mp and hmp. First hard session for at least 2 weeks - felt good even on the hilly bits.

Lou - Couldn't resist a peek at the results image Sorry about the screw up in trying to get there.

DT - Just had a thought did the physio rule out a trapped nerve problem ? I had a numbness in my thigh due to nerve impingement that dragged on for a week (and was starting to shoot down my leg) before a sports massage sorted it out.

• Options

Okay, done some stalking. Thanks for beating my 5 mile PB Lou. Grr. Richard, do you fancy a visitor for the one at Glasgow in November?

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Muddy- I have been pondering over exactly that all day today. Each day i get up and the pain is no different, then sometimes I move and it isnt there at all. Additionally after an intensive round of stretching I get complete relief for a few minutes. Now a muscular injury, on rest, will bit by bit ease off.

How will a sports massage clear that up? Wont i need to untrap the nerve?

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

stalked also now. Excellant result!

• Options

DT - Well all I can say is that the lady that works on me listened to my symptoms, said hmm I think it's a nerve. Started by loosening up my back, specifically the lumbar region, and then a bit of ITB massage going down to just under the knee. I got up and walked out with feeling restored to my thigh and the problem has not returned. 

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Well done Tommy. Is the 10 miler a race, too?

Lit, if you're bothered about the cool cyclists why are you looking at hybrids? You could get a touring bike (drop handlebars but sturdy and non-racy, typically geared fairly low, with a pannier rack and mud guards).  Then if you get injured and can't run for a while, you can take it with you (having detached the kickstand) to hang out with those cool cyclists and go for a proper ride.  Depends on the rack whether you need a rear mudguard.

Muddy - what is 'steady run' on your schedule? marathon pace, slower?

Sorry about the crap race DT and your crap legs and your snotty nose.

Phil - OK good point about the 400s session. I will change it, not sure exactly how. Also not sure yet whether to try to race both HMs but I don't have to decide yet.

Crackign time from you too Lou! (yes I looked it up)

Late Tuesday night it turned out there was room for me to join and spend Wednesday dangling jelly babies in cup on string over the side of a boat, for someone swimming the channel.  He made it!  But I am whacked - he started at 3am so we were up all Tuesday night. And I still feel slightly like the room is swaying.  Got to stay awake for 10K race tonight.

• Options

Because I will be cycling mainly on roads but also want something suitable for off-road non-technical trails, tow-paths etc. Also some of the roads are a bit pot-holey and rubbish. And I'm used to a fairly upright riding position from years of old-fashioned town bikes.

There is a kickstand on my Raleigh Caprice. It is very handy for standing the bike up.

• Options

Marrows - Sorry yeah 'steady' is a bit slower than MP. I am grading 'easy/lsr' as 7:50-8:15 and 'steady' as 7:20-7:50 per mile. MP is coming out at something like 6:56 according to McMillan (based on last 10k). Considering my last half was full on effort at 6:40-ish, I don't think doing a lot of my running at McMillan MP is a good idea so working around rough pace zones based on McMillan for training purposes. So MP sessions would be 6:50-7:20, and 6:30-6:50 I consider roughly to be the HMP session effort range, 6:15-6:30 10k effort, and 6:00-6:15 5k range. The upper bounds of all those are close to my current race paces at those distances but I find it hard to hit such paces consistently in training.

Also I try to keep tabs on heart rate data for each zone and compare training in the zone with racing in the zone - as the training heart rate drops compared to the racing heart rate, I can see that there is some capacity for improvement at race time. 

Well that was a more than a bit image

Apologies for going on ! (and good luck for tonight)

• Options

PS: marrows - also because I don't have loads of money.

muddy - those are very big zones. Isn't there a huge difference in effort level between 6:30 and 6:50, for example, and (especially) between 6:50 and 7:20? Also I think your 5k zone alone straddles three of mine!

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone.

Bob - yep quicker than Saturday, think I went through 5k in just over 20 minutes so there's no reason why I can't go sub 20 in a few weeks, although I think I run better in the evening than in the morning. Probably due to having a cheese and pickle sandwich for dinner or something.

Marows -yeah it's a 10 mile race, its close to where I went to school and a few people I know will be there, which is the main reason I'm doing it. Also, you get a free hot roast pork cob. Good luck at your 10k tonight.

Lit - yep, I do like a surprise PB! Sorry can't offer any advice on bikes, I got mine off ebay for 30 quid, it's an old school racing bike with seized brakes.

Muddy - I'd say your HMP is much quicker then 6:50? Shame you didn't make it. Lou was saying last night that Coventry Sphinx organise a 5 mile race in winter which is in the same park, could be one to do? If you can find the park that is image.

DT - yeah, it was a PB. Seems like you need to get it looked at by a professional? Out of interest, how many 'easy' runs have you done over the last couple of months (excluding long runs)?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Muddy, I've obviously trained Lit well, as she's bang on.

How on earth does your MP zone come out with a 30second range?! Widest range I've ever had is 10seconds. I'd go as far as suggesting that the top and bottom of your range are a completely different session!

As you get into the faster zones, you need an even smaller gap than that. I'd suggest 5seconds a zone is ideal once you get to HMP and beyond. 15seconds is simply too wide.

I'm a bit bored right now, and you've intrigued me, so feel free to post your most recent couple of pbs, and I'll just whack the times into the "Stevie G zone calculator" and have a quick squiz.

If you so care to that is. image

• Options

Lit, Tommy - yes, those zones are big and really rough and ready, where top end is racing on a good terrain in a rested state and bottom end is what I want to stay beneath for the targeted session taking into account the vagaries of terrain and the certainty of training load. I do take a look at McMillan from time to time but the plethora of endurance v speed v interval v cruise interval v steady state detailed, pace information is just too hard to remember. and impractically precise.

Tommy - might be worth a go, also considering Stratford Big 10k in the near term, but other factors come into play there...

• Options

Stevie G - see above for my explanation of my lackadaisical approach to deciding what pace range a session will encompass. Recent 10k pb 38:43, parkrun 18:38. Not so recent half 1:27:25.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    muddyfunster wrote (see)

Marrows - Sorry yeah 'steady' is a bit slower than MP. I am grading 'easy/lsr' as 7:50-8:15 and 'steady' as 7:20-7:50 per mile. MP is coming out at something like 6:56 according to McMillan (based on last 10k). Considering my last half was full on effort at 6:40-ish, I don't think doing a lot of my running at McMillan MP is a good idea so working around rough pace zones based on McMillan for training purposes. So MP sessions would be 6:50-7:20, and 6:30-6:50 I consider roughly to be the HMP session effort range, 6:15-6:30 10k effort, and 6:00-6:15 5k range. The upper bounds of all those are close to my current race paces at those distances but I find it hard to hit such paces consistently in training.

Apologies for going on ! (and good luck for tonight)

Ok, so the 10k and 5k times come out pretty spot on conversion wise.

10k pace is 6.14 and 5k is 6.00

I'd therefore lay the key zones out like this

• 5k        5.55- 6.00
    • 10k      6.10-6.15
    • HM      6.30-6.35
    • MP      6.45-6.50
    • Steady 7.05-7.40
    • Easy    7.40-8.30

The zones you gave mostly start at the "slow" end of these zones, but then stretch way too far, often into another zone. Your MP zone ends mid way Steady!

The easiest way around terrain issues is making sure you do quality on track or flat as possible roads. Otherwise you're giving yourself an impossible to measure output.

"oh I did 6miles at 7,35 pace when I was trying to hit my MP zone, but it was really hilly, wet and grassy". Pretty useless when analysing the session really.

If you're not hitting the zones, there's a chance you've configured your session wrong. All those zones should be pretty doable based on your pbs, unless you're trying to do something mad.

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

Excellent running and pbs, Tommy and lou!  Enjoyable, prompt* report too, Tommy.

muddy -  I'm with you on the difficulty of staying in a strict pace zone on hilly terrain.  As SG suggests, I use a 10s range for MP, HMP and tempo but 30s for easy and recovery.  For 10k and 5k, I try to stay within a 6s range.  I go slower uphill and faster downhill, trying to keep the average pace for the whole session on target.  This works better some days than others!

14k for me this morning including 6k at tempo (twice round an undulating loop).  Found it quite hard and fell asleep on the couch this afternoon image.  Hope I'm not going down with a bug.  I think it's just that I haven't done two quality sessions in a week for a while.

* Compared to lou, that is image.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Tempo, probably the zone with the biggest amount of differing opinions.

What is Tempo to you Phew?The zone inbetween 10k and HM? The pace you can hold for an hour? Faster than Easy?

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

x-post.  SG, please note that muddy is renowned for "doing something mad" but one cannot argue with his results!  I see your point about doing sessions on track or a flat loop but that isn't always easy to arrange (and boring). I like to do similar sessions over identical routes so I can see progress, or not, since the last one.

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭
    Stevie G wrote (see)

How on earth does your MP zone come out with a 30second range?! Widest range I've ever had is 10seconds. I'd go as far as suggesting that the top and bottom of your range are a completely different session!

As you get into the faster zones, you need an even smaller gap than that. I'd suggest 5seconds a zone is ideal once you get to HMP and beyond. 15seconds is simply too wide.

I'm a bit bored right now, and you've intrigued me, so feel free to post your most recent couple of pbs, and I'll just whack the times into the "Stevie G zone calculator" and have a quick squiz.

Is that an open offer, Stevie G? image I've got 19:06 5K and 3:09 marathon here.

10K done. Bad news, just the wrong side of 40 mins, not sure exactly how many seconds, maybe 40:10.  Good news, I won and took at least 70 secs off my PB. Other bad news, no prize. Other good news, it's OK because i have a cake already.

Lit yes cost is the only good reason to get a hybrid instead of a tourer.

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

SG, x-post again. Sorry.  Tempo is my theoretical (McMillan) 10 mile pace, so I could possibly hold it for an hour but a 10 mile race would definitely take me longer than that!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    PeteHew wrote (see)

x-post.  SG, please note that muddy is renowned for "doing something mad" but one cannot argue with his results!  I see your point about doing sessions on track or a flat loop but that isn't always easy to arrange (and boring). I like to do similar sessions over identical routes so I can see progress, or not, since the last one.

I'm cautious about this kind of statement, as it's all relative to the training put in. Could well be much improvement made with a couple of tweaks.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    PeteHew wrote (see)

SG, x-post again. Sorry.  Tempo is my theoretical (McMillan) 10 mile pace, so I could possibly hold it for an hour but a 10 mile race would definitely take me longer than that!

ah good. I see a lot of people saying how they're going for a "Tempo" run, when really they're just playing running term bingo.
    I should have known Skinny and Lit would run a tight ship in here image

• Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

Dammit, another cross post.  Congratulations, marrows, that's a marvellous evening's work image.  70 secs off your pb is serious progress and deserves the win! Which race was it?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    marrows wrote (see)
    Stevie G wrote (see)

Is that an open offer, Stevie G? image I've got 19:06 5K and 3:09 marathon here.

10K done. Bad news, just the wrong side of 40 mins, not sure exactly how many seconds, maybe 40:10.  Good news, I won and took at least 70 secs off my PB. Other bad news, no prize. Other good news, it's OK because i have a cake already.

Lit yes cost is the only good reason to get a hybrid instead of a tourer.

well done on your win Marrows. Make sure you celebrate it.

Your 10k result is your most recent result (6.28 pace), so let's use that as a basis to give the below. As your 5k pb was 6.09 pace though, you could tweak the pace zones faster a bit.

• 5k        6.10-6.15
    • 10k      6.25-6.30
    • HM      6.45-6.50
    • MP      7.00-7.05
    • Easy   8.00- 9.00
  • Options

Sorry eating me tea, will come back in a bit. Well done Marrows ! image Seems like there is some fat to trim off the 5k time now image