Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    Ahh food list, good call
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

I am extremely close to the Arc.  Happy to have bag drop off - but bag retrieve will have to wait until I drag myself over the finish line.  But, there is a bar in the hotel, so the wait may not be all bad....

RS - after a bit of a walk about looking for gluten free stuff last year, we settled on the restaurant across from the hotel and that was fine. People want to eat there again?  At least we know it'll be open. I will be hungry I'm sure.  And they had steak.

I know there are some who are heading home after the race and need to check out their hotel. I'm sure we can accomodate 1 or 2 who might want to leave their bags at our hotel. Could shower too - if you bring a towel along, and wait for me to finish! (the race, not the shower).

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Okay, have a look people: http://goo.gl/maps/qCFgg There's a mcdonalds right by my hotel...but I think I'll need a bit more.  If you find somewhere, check they're open on a sunday.  I'd sort it but super busy.  Got to head off now...I'll check in when I get back, to reality.  hopefully sometime on saturday morning before heading out for a jaunt with RR, TJB and IM2 image

Last year we ended up at: Le Vin Coeur and it was very average but open and had meat! (not that vegetarians aren't welcome...you will have to watch quite a bit of meat eating though)

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

for all those packing already don't forget tape for your tits.

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    What type of tape?

I haven't had problems during my long runs however would you suggest vaseline or talc for the feet? I haven't had nipple problems, would tape or vaseline still be recommended?
  • Options

Yer-maj - may I respectfully request a departure from the karma-calming normal process? As I need to fly out next week I'm starting to freak about all the stuff I might need and possibly forget and creating list upon list upon list of random shiz. If I need to buy anything I only have this weekend to get it.

Pretty please can we start on the lists? With a cherry on top?

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

PC91 - if you havn't needed it on yur long runs, don't try it now.

• Options
    Radar Sal wrote (see)

for all those packing already don't forget tape for your tits.

RS - I experimented with Nipguards this weekend instead of my usual Vaseline. They seemed rather useful. If a little weird.

PC91 - I'm deeply envious of your inability to get sensitive/bleeding nipples. I suspect you have much less on moob front than I do...!

• Options

Iain - I used to use nipguards.  Couldn't help but feel like Kryten off red Dwarf though!  Last couple of years I used micropore tape and had no problems with it.

I thought the restaurant last year was ok.  10/10 for the dessert but 3/10 for the quality of the steak.

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

I use this stuff on my nipples and other prone-to-chaffing places.  Magical stuff and does not mark clothing. 

http://www.amazon.com/Toms-Sport-Shield-Skin-Care/dp/B001CJX1UY/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_t_1_9JPK

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

RS and DLR - true, but there were not many places open.

• Options
    I'll be Vassing up my volume control and tone control, especially after the bloodbath at GNR all over my team GB vest. Don't struggle so much with chafin scats since I lost a few pounds but might apply some there as well to he safe. Is it safe?
  • Options

Rob - I also bought the micropore so will try it (but I've a hairy chest and don't want to shave...) I like the Kryten reference!

Dannirr - I'll see if I can get that on amazon uk.

I'm up for food after but, kickoff at 0845, probably over line at 0930, 5 hours running. I'll not be over the line til 1430 most likely so, back to flat, shower, dinner at 5pm for me. Maybe just catch you all for drinks...

• Options

Hi Everyone

Great thread as always!  This will be my third Paris and wonder if anyone can help please?

I have a Forerunner 310XT and have lost the signal in the tunnels. The watch hasn't picked up when I have come out of the tunnels so the mileage and pacing have gone astray. 

Does anyone know the best way to get round this??

Thanks, Julie 

• Options

Hi Julie. I've got a foot pod for my Garmin that takes over when you lose signal. As soon as signal's restored, it automatically switches back to satellite without having to do anything. Quite pricey and needs to be calibrated first time you use it. On the plus side, on your Garmin activity page it gives you a readout of your cadence throughout the run (I.E. even when your watch was connected to satellite) V easy to use, it's about the size of 2 50p coins and clips onto your shoe.

Jus T - I've got a Word document with my marathon pack checklist. If you're very good, I'll let you have a look. It's subdivided into stuff for hand luggage and stuff for hold luggage, and further subdivided into stuff that goes into my race bag for the bag drop. The subheadings are capitalised too. All joking aside, if you want a copy so you can adapt, just give me a shout.

PC91 - Shawshank Redemption spot on. Inspired by Kaz's incarceration in the bank vault. Luckily she didn't have to dig her way out via the sewage pipe. And points to you and Iain for Thirteen Days. V under-rated film.

ATM - loving the shed.

http://fastshow.20m.com/images/jesse.jpg

This week, oiiii'll mostly be wearing Noike.

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Hi Julie,

Welcome to the thread. I will have displayed actual pace and average pace, I will also have a band with passage times at 5k markers. If my GPS messes up I will still have the actual pace, time and the band. Good luck.
  • Options

Thanks Weedy, have messaged you!

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

When it gets tough in Paris, remember this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCAwXb9n7EY

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

PC91 - you'll get that joke once you ready the marathon magazine tips...although it did start a very important conversation for the boys.  Maybe we should set up a waxing booth at pasta papas for those who's chest hair causes a problem with taping their tits?

Dannir - that gets me everytime!!

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    RS - I don't really want to know. I'm sure that if I was courageous to wax, I would gain 10 minutes, lighter and aerodynamic.
  • Options
    RS, I'll be up for food and quoffing after the race. Presumably is before the carnage in the pub?
  • Options

'Carnage in the pub' ??? And here was me thinking you are all responsible, well behaved atheletes!image

No 'carnage in the pub' for me...........bottle of wine in a brown paper bag watching the Eiffel Tower twinkle  from some spot -que ATM?!

Would 12 miles be ok for me today anyone????image

• Options

I confess I spent October 211 - July 2012 largely hairless on the chest front.  I found the tape tended to lift on long runs, just being attached to the hair so I trimmed some of the hair around the nipples, only to look in the mirror a couple of days later and realise I looked ridiculous - like my nipples were sporting halos, so the lot came off!

• Options

Holy Moly, my young un has just announced that she met David Smith, paralymic Gold Medalist  at school yesterday - and she was one of the lucky few who got to hold his medal!!

• Options
    Dannirr wrote (see)

RS and DLR - true, but there were not many places open.

It was pretty much the only place open image

That's the difficulty in France on a Sunday.  A few places might open in a residential area but if it's largely commercial they'll be shut.  The only places that will definitely be open are those in prime tourist locations where the cost is high and the quality variable. It's a bit of a lose lose.

• Options

Kaz:  wow lucky girlimage, do what you feel ..

Well just to get back to training - and I know I've not been on that much but will fill you all in on gossip later ... did 20 + 1 mile cool down 2 saturdays ago, in howling wind, rain, sleet and remandts of 6 foot snow drifts (yes am still on Jersey) was tough but done in 3hrs 10mins - nothing fell off.  All good you may think ,,, so did I until I tried to do a 14 mile (cut back week) on saturday just gone, well my goodness I struggled, oh so tired managed 13 cursing most of the way (not very ladylike).  Did 4 with the dogs off road on sunday was better but very pleased to finish.  Have my really long run of 22 - 23 miles this Good Friday ... am feeling very nervous about his it is my longest run for my training and just terrified .. so I'm doing a mini tapir with no running until friday just power walking dog walking on the cliff paths.  Beginning to not feel quite so tired though.

Can I have some advice please ..  This is my plan for the long runs leading up to marathon from this week ... comments always welcome.

Good Friday:  22- 23
    6/4 : 14 miles
    14/4: 18
    20/4: 16
    27/4: 12
    5 May: marthon

Remember I would like to finish mont st michel without any medical interference that's all I'm askingimage......

Thanks from a getting worried Princess as I'm feeling very tired ...

• Options

Oh and I know you lot are the only ones who really understand image

• Options

Hi PF, nice to have you back.image Am sure someone will be able to advise!Make sure you get Plenty of rest!

• Options

Wow, I step away from my laptop and there are pages to read.  Well done all you who are still running LONG distances....and sorry to hear some of you are sick with colds etc.  Get well - stay well this week...NOT long to go.

Am slightly envious of those of you talking about "tits"....plural huh - lucky I don't have that problem image

I'm a vasaline girl, smear it ALL over.  Never have chaffing or blisters (says, touching wood here). My new running T has a teeny pocket for my ipod in the front (so I can ffwd when needs) and that saves the velcro armband -which does annoy and slips down when sweaty.

Packing list done, now to find bag,

@EE well done on the watch - PHEW...!  have to remember to pack chargers...note to self.!

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

PF - Personally I'd switch the 22 and the 18 around. Every training plan I've done has had the longest LSR just prior to the taper. I also think 12 the week before the marathon is maybe a bit long. I tend to run 10 miles at most and that is normally at the higher end of what most training plans suggest that I've viewed.

Kaz - I'd say 12 sounds ok for today, but start easing off on the longer runs now and rest up for Paris.