Options

Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Options

Also waiting for the VLM, if I get a rejection will focus on doing a half every month but if I'm in *gulp*, best hope for a mild winter!! Never been further than 13.5 miles.

• Options

Hi all - just looking for a bit of advice. It's my first GNR and I'm staying the Sat night with friends of friends in Newcastle and wondering about 'logistics' for the Sunday as my other half would like to see me somewhere along the route and obviously meet me afterwards too. Any suggestions where would be a good spot for him to get to either by car or public transport that would then make it easy to get to the finish? Cheers and good luck to all.

• Options

Tell him to get the metro to South Shields and then it's not far to the finish area, once he leaves you at the start zone he won't be able to get that close to the actual start line

Chances of him spotting you on the route are pretty slim, but if he's around the finish area he'll be able to get a spot on the last mile along the sea front, it wasn't that busy there last year as I ran along!

Arrange to meet at the reunion area (there are flags with letters on so you can head to your surname letter for example...don't do what I did once not actually arrange which letter you're going to meet under...My surname, her surname, my first name etc...it was a debacle!)

Good luck, I hope you enjoy it! Guaranteed PB for you image

• Options

Thanks so much for the quick reply - very helpful image

• Options

Hellsbells74, To add to krom310's advice, a few years back, my family stood at Heworth (4-5 miles) to see me run past. We missed each other completely due to the crowds. They then tried to get on a metro to South Shields, but they were all full and waited ages. I was waiting for a good hour at the finish before they turned up.

It may be an idea for him to see the start, race to Haymarket metro to go to South Shields and he should get there to see you on the finishing straight (depending on how fast you're intending to run it!!). Does anyone have any experience of whether this plan will work?

Since that nightmare year, my family now see me run over the Tyne Bridge, then decamp to the Pitcher and Piano on the Quayside and wait for me there. Much easier for them and I get the opportunity to properly warm-down afterwards and have a sneaky massage in the BUPA tent without feeling guilty.

• Options

The other option is to get metro to Gateshead Stadium watch you go by there and then jump back on Metro to finish to see you there. My wife has done this before (she even went to 8 mile point as well) but only just made finish (I did 1:50 that year).

• Options

One year, not only did I get to the finish before my parents, but I also beat the baggage trucks and had to stand around freezing cold and with no phone to contact the parents to tell them to head for the baggage area rather than the reunion area. These days the parents stay at home and try to spot me on TV. Actually, I doubt they really bother to watch it once the Red Arrows have gone past, but they pretend they look for me. 

• Options

My OH is running this year.....

Evening all image Not long now image

(and I know I have left it late but I still need to find me a red and white shirt.....)

• Options

Hi everyone- just wanting some advice as I'm driving my hubby from Leeds to his 1st GNR & I'm in charge of reading/prepping everything. He's heard I can drop him at start by car, and then drive to South Shields & park up for finish line. But I don't think so from what I've read. Do you agree??

I think we need to drive to finish, and then he'll need to make his way to the start by bus/metro and I'll wait for him at the finish & then meet up etc? what do you think? also how long do we need to allow for him to get from south shields to his assembly point at the start of the race. I don't want to be responsible for making him late, panic, panic! Thanks in advance & good luck to you all imageimageimage

• Options

Sesa Bee - I think your way is the better option.  I don't think you would manage both getting to the start and getting to the finish due to the road closures, but I could be wrong.

• Options

Easy to get from finish to the start by bus, they queue on the road to the finish line by the grassy area car park.  I usually head off to the start on the bus from the finish car park ~8:00am and take in the start atmosphere, can't remember how long it takes but a good 30 mins I reckon, then a crowded walk to the start to find your pen.

• Options
    Thanks a lot Vixx76 & Daeve.uch appreciated advice
  • Options

Hellsbells4 - narrow feets plan is the one I'd do. I've done that when injured before and OH running. The metro oils really busy and I wouldn't fancy trying to get back on half way round. It also takes a good bit longer than normal on the metro to South Shields because of the crowds so depending on the speed of your runner they may well be there before you As it is a bit of a walk from the metro to the finish.

Seasa Bee - I have never used the car on Gnr day but I think it would be impossible to get from the start to the finish by car. Also I think you need to be really quite early to get parked at South Shields.

• Options

I usually get parking there arriving 7:30am (usually fairly close to the first few rows to park), loads of space on that big field.  not sure how long it takes to fill up though after that.

• Options

Great 10 mile training run with friend from running clpace very steady 9 min mile pace, great prep for race next weekend 

• Options

Well, after 10 months of training and one kneee injury - just done my last long run of 7 miles. Can't believe this is next week.....feel like a kid at Christmas now and cannot wait to see how it all pans out. I won't be breaking any records (apart from a PB lol - as its my first GNR) and can only imagine the atmosphere on the day.

See you all up there - particularly fellow Stroke association runners - enoy the last week and take care!

• Options

Last 10 mile done before next sundays race. Clocked in at just under the 9 minute mile mark. That sub 2 hour goal of mine looks good if I can avoid any problems and not set off too quick.

Hows everybodys final prep going?

Seasa bee - you coukd drop him at gatshead then jist a quick hop on the metro to the haymarket and will give you time to get to shields and park up. 

• Options

Am getting excited for this now. Managed a 13.5 mile slow run this morning so at least I know I can do the distance! I am also trying to sort logistics with my partner at start and finish...think he will try and drop me near the start and then make his way to the finish. Looking forward to it now!

• Options

Due to work commitments I can't noes run this race grrrrr!! 

I have race pack here if any body would like to buy my place off me?

david.rimington@gmail.com

• Options

The thread has gone awfully quiet considering the race is only a week away. Where is everyone? Where are the weather predictions and taper worries? 

• Options

Well im out, gutted but being sensible.

Will be back next year fighhting fit, shame though as training has been going so well and i had every intention of smashing it this year, probably would have broken e world record for the half but now we'll never knowimage

And also just have to say that plantar fasciitis is a massive shitebag

• Options

I am in, I've really given running a miss this year as I ventured into Orienteering.

The last big distance was an 8.5km Orienteering event which was 7.47miles on the GPS watch with a time of 1hr10mins or so. Not too shabby for running, then some walking, then stopping, map reading then looking for orange and white flags.. image

I'm in Zone D this year, so thinking about going back a few groups. Might drop into the rear of Zone E as I am not really feeling it.

I had a VO2 max test the other day in work, achieved 50+ which is supposed to be brilliant for my age. Therefore the rest of this week I am going to taper the running off. Might have a bit of interval training Wednesday night..then some good stretching fri eve/sat eve..

Camping Saturday night near Sunderland for £10, going to catch the Metro up for £4 (day pass).

Mrs KPO is coming along too, though she is going from the Start to the Finish via Metro. Last time I finished as she arrived. Was wondering if she goes from St James to North Shields, and catches the Ferry over this year..

• Options

This is probably my race day prep plan..

Breakfast + Coffee

T-2hrs - Last solid food. Probably eat lots of complex sugars before hand. Flapjacks etc.

T-1hr - First energy gel in.

T-30 - Second energy gel

T-15 - Warm-up start

T+3miles - Last energy gel in (or when it annoys my waist band)

Also..try not to drink/eat everything that is offered.....just need to sort the iPod out with some new music for when things get remote/hard.

• Options

Also...im not actually sure what I am going to wear.

I know its going to be Nike dry-fit running shorts, white (now pink thanks to Mrs KPO's RedDress) but really unsure on the T-Shirt/Vest.

The last time I wore a charity shirt, but this year I have no charity therefore no ties with anyone. Last time it had my name on the back etc, which was weird when people shouted it..

What do I wear..?

• Options

I haven't managed to find a Sunderland shirt big enough for me!

Does anyone have an XL one that I can borrow, or know someone who can lend it please?

• Options

Mr sj - shame but good choice got to enjoy this race fully.

went out for a 20 miler yesterday in Bristol with Daughter Laura ( she did 10 and I set off to do the same again to make 20) this was her first run in 2 weeks after foot injury and she did great and has not lost fitness. Problem is now at 17.5 milfor with no warning i got a sharp pain in calf - luckily been there before immediately stopped and walked back short way. No pain when I walk or now but pain in calf to touch. Hopefully  did not do any major damage and with a weeks full rest will be ok to run with Laura on Sunday. Unfortunately as been there before it may well just go again anytime during GNR

• Options

You're going to have two gels before you even start running? Why? Especially the one a full hour before?

• Options

Something I’ve been meaning to do for the last couple of years is to post a bit of last minute advice for all half-mara newbies, which may also help more experienced runners as well, about preparation for the run during the week leading up to it. This is a summary of what I do and is probably mainly geared to the type of runner that wants to do the best they can on the day, whether that be 1.30 or 3 hours. It may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but even if one person finds it useful, I’ll be happy. I should probably also say that I am not qualified in any way other than having many years of running experience, including 8 GNRs, to give this advice.

One week to go. Training is done. It’s taper time. No point doing any more long runs. It would probably affect your performance negatively if you did. You should do a couple of short runs (about 3 miles max) during the week, at least one part of which should be at race pace to remind your body what that pace feels like.

Start your carb loading on Thursday. You want fill up your muscles and liver with easily accessible fuel that will be used during the race. Obviously, pasta is a popular way of doing this, but it is surprising how much you should actually eat. Don’t hold back. Just watch the fat content of the sauces.

Equally as important is hydration. You should start increasing the amount of fluids you take in from today, and continue over the course of the week leading up to the race. Your urine should be pretty clear by Saturday and the additional fluids will have been absorbed by your body. This means that on Sunday morning, you don’t actually need to drink that much, meaning less time spent in toilet queues / in bushes / side of road etc. I stay away from water and just sip slowly about half a bottle of energy / electrolyte drink over the course of the morning. Nothing else until you are on the start line when a few swigs of water help to moisten the mouth and throat.

Make sure you have all your provisions and have prepared your race bag by Saturday. Safety pins, banana, bottle of water, bag of jelly babies, energy gels / drink, clothes for after the race, deodorant, towel etc. Fill out your contact information and pin your number to your shirt before you go to bed. You don’t want to be thinking about those sorts of things on race day morning. Finally, charge your Garmin (other GPS or distance measuring devices are available)!! On GPS devices, turn off the auto-stop setting. You will go under bridges / underpasses in the GNR. You don’t want the stopwatch to stop or distance to be incorrect because it can’t get satellites for a couple of minutes. You may also want to clear some data, just to make sure you have enough memory.

Race Day – The race starts at 10.40. I will normally have breakfast at 7.30 to 8.00. A couple of wholemeal pancakes with honey are my preference. Chew well – it will help with digestion. Timing is important for breakfast. You don’t want to run on a full stomach, but you don’t want to start a run feeling hungry either. It doesn’t have to be a big breakfast, but preferably carb-based. As mentioned already, go light on the fluids.

Get into your running gear. Onto more personal matters, I don’t use deodorant before a race. Your body needs to sweat. If you do use it, you may get white smears around your armpits and possibly chaffing as well. I always put bog-standard water-resistant plasters over my nipples (I’m a man – not sure if this works for women as well). I’ve seen too many men with blood running down their shirts, especially if the weather is hot or wet.

I like to get the start for about 9.15 and have a last energy bar. The atmosphere is as sociable or as personal as you want it to be. The voice of loc

• Options

I like to get the start for about 9.15 and have a last energy bar. The atmosphere is as sociable or as personal as you want it to be. The voice of local radio’s Alan Robson over the loud speaker, some good tunes, maybe some celeb or elite spotting, meeting friends and then, at about 9.30, Abide With Me - very emotional for some. After that, I start stretching. You need to do it now as there’s not much room in the pens. At 9.50, I strip off my tracksuit and put my bag on the baggage bus, have a last wee and get into my pen by about 10 am. It sounds early, but the time passes really quickly. I have a banana, find my spot, cheer the wheels of steel and the ladies starts, do the mass warm-up and try to find a square metre for more stretches. Don’t forget to turn your Garmin on to give it time to acquire satellites, but not so early that it goes to sleep again. I find the last minutes before the start are quite tense. You are about to put your body through an intense physical challenge. You haven’t run a step yet, but your heart rate is probably close to twice what it is at rest. Try focussing, taking deep breaths to reduce your heart rate. Eat a few jelly babies, take a swig or two of water and then you’re off.

As for the run itself, I just have one plea. Please leave your ipods/mp3 players etc. at home for this particular run. You will miss a large part of the amazing atmosphere and you’ll be oblivious to the runners trying to pass you (and, wherever you start, there will be many). I guarantee, this will be one long run on which you will not be bored, and require music to keep you going. Everyone’s race and experience is personal to them. XL-man’s description on page 1 of this forum captures the course very well.

I hope someone does find this useful. Happy taper everyone. See you on the start line.