Options

Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    ValleyValley ✭✭✭

Having done 3:27 in my first marathon I've now set my sights on a GFA entry to London in 2015.  By then I'll be 41 so I'll be able to get in with a sub 3:15

I'll be doing Chester in the autumn and Manchester again next year assuming I don't get a ballot place.

It's going to be hard work but as long as I can stay injury I think I can do it.

• Options

Hey Paxton,

As I was the "3 Parkruns left" 4hr pace flag I can confirm I passed over the finish line on a chip time 03:58:13. Interestingly I made the course a few hundred metres short which I know quite a few others did which probably got us all in a little bit early.

In terms of the 4hr group we where due to have 2 flags but sadly the second pacer was injured the week before so it was all runners around mine. I remember looking over my shoulder at 7 miles and realising the disaster that would happen if I f*cked up on time so I aimed to keep quite close to 9's for the remainder of the course.

Unlucky on your time, so close! Hopefully see you there next year for a sub 4!

Cheers
    Gavin

Paxton Lee wrote (see)

Well done to everybody. Really good to see so many excellent times achieved by you all yesterday.

I came in at 04:03:10. I missed out my sub 4hr target but it is a 40 minute improvement on London last year so I'm pleased enough. I stayed with the 4hr pacer up until mile 22 then I felt him pull away I slowed down for a water station. I didn't have it in my legs or the will mentally to put in a burst to catch him up. I noticed my pace slipping and legs getting heavy around the open windy part of Carrington so I went for damage limitation then, slowly but surely rather than walk/run repeats.

Other thoughts from the day - I thought it was very well organised in the village (can't comment on parking/trams). Noticed a few people going into cones. One poor chap in the first mile got his legs tangled in a discarded bin bag and went over. I can't believe a fellow runner thought it was ok to leave that there on the course, tut tut. I didn't particular enjoy the opening five miles, the out and backs around Old Trafford. But once we got out onto the road it was great. The support was fantastic particularly through Sale, Altrincham and on the final three miles. I had a Spurs top on so I enjoyed some of the comments about that from the side, especially the chap with 200 metres to go who shouted "Spurs are sh*t mate" whilst clapping me. Following the pacer, it was quite congested in that bunch so, in future if I adopt a similar strategy I'll aim to hang back a bit further or go just ahead. The pacer did keep talking throughout and I liked the "Three parkruns to go" call, much better than his earlier effort of "35k left!" Does anyone know what time the 4hr pacer came in at? Early on he said our "landing" time would be 3:58. I liked the little jelly cubes but would have liked more isotonic drinks on offer. I kept in mind a piece of advice from here last week, from Panda I think, about taking the shortest line. My garmin came in at 26.08 miles, compared to London last year which was 26.6 miles!

At mile 23 I said to myself, never again. I had already previously signed up for Abingdon in October and was wondering how I could sell my place! Alas, 9am this morning I registered myself for the VLM ballot.

Cheers all for an enjoyable thread here and some great advice throughout. Well done again.

• Options

Hi Valley,

I was having similar thoughts about the London GFA , I’m 40 later this year and just stepped up my race distance to what was in the end a comfortable first marathon at 3:28 bang on. There was definitely something in the tank, and I feel quite fine afterwards.  

My question to those most knowledgeable out there, if I were to get to a sub 3:15 at Manchester next year, (of course accepting that is quite an improvement), whilst being 40, would that qualify me for London GFA (assuming no boundary changes) in April 2015 when I will actually be 41 on race day?

I am dithering about whether to go for Chester or not. I had planned to follow a strategy like strangely brown, i.e. go back to doing some fun running with the aim of battering by 10k PB whilst keeping a weekly 13-15 miler in the bag. But now I am really up for another marathon in Autumn.

I see there is a bit of chatter about a “so called hill” at Chester around 23-24 miles, anyone got some experience of the route and so called hill? Also I had a bit of concern about the grass start and finish… especially if we get our usual autumnal NW weather. Again anyone had a good or bad experience with the start/finish?

Rich

• Options

Rich I've run Chester... hard(ish) course but wonderful race, you just need to be prepared for a few sharp ups and downs, "the hill" is annoyingly placed but not long enough to affect a good time.

I say RUN IT! image

• Options
    ValleyValley ✭✭✭

Hi Rich,

I'm 40 in August so I did some research and I'm pretty sure that an age 41 GFA time at Manchester next year would get us into London 2015.

I think I need the Chester race just to stop me dropping my long run distance too much.  If I just focused on Manchester next year I don't think I'd achieve it.

My mate did Chester last year and he really enjoyed it, especially finishing on the race course.

Paul

• Options

Cheers for those replies.

I think it is probably correct that I would need another marathon in my legs (a more difficult course might even be an advantage) before attempting to push on such an amount.

Of course best laid plans of mice and men, as illness, injuries and weather can all put paid to those plans!

Nice to bounce the ideas of a few people though… I’ll probably just enjoy some free running for the rest of May and think seriously in June about where or what to race.

• Options

Hi Rich,

I've also done Chester, it is a fantastic organised race and I would recommend you do it.  The hills are not too bad and the grass at the start and end are only for 300 metres or there abouts so should not have much effect.  There is also a big stand, and the crowd gets right behind you - it is a great way to finish.

• Options
    SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Redpanda, I want to be your friend, ha ha, but I can't find you.  Think I need your email address...

• Options

sally - i think your photos are great, it's funny how you never like them yourself. How are feeling? Have you been out for a run? 

• Options
    SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Molly, I'm feeling fine. The legs stopped aching yesterday.  Haven't been out for a run yet, I'm going to wait til the weekend.  Feeling very restless though - think I need to plan something else.  What about you - are you back in Italy yet?

• Options

sally - flew back at 6am yesterday imageand back at work today! I'll be running for the first time this evening after work and I feel absolutely fine whereas after Rome in March I was really stiff and couldn't run for over a week. Next aim 3.45 in Berlin so will be getting very serious soon!

yes, get something booked. My sister-in-law has booked the Mablethorpe marathon - didn't even know they had one there but it's supposed to be very flat & friendly! It's the first Sunday in October. Is that far for you?

• Options

Ah Sally...it's joanne.johnston3@googlemail.com

Let me know if you can't find it.  After all....you need to know what sex the next baby Panda will be come Septemberimage.

Am so jealous of you lot planning Autumn marathons!  Just feel fed up at the minute, I know I shouldn't and there is a good reason why I can't do it, but this marathon kind of gave me some focus and now I am just a bit bored and frustrated.  A year seems a very long timeimage.

Anyway, enough stupid wallowing....for those debating an Autumn marathon, I would defo say "go for it".  It will only do you good, all that training.  I think there is a Robin Hood half and full on the same day, so you could always apply for the marathon and maybe drop to the half if you had to.

It's the best day of the year today...lovely and warm, but it's set to change tomorrow....well, it is bank holiday weekend!

Panda

xx

• Options
    SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

I'm actually from Yorkshire but now live on the Isle of Wight so Mablethorpe is a bit of a trek!  There is a marathon here on the Isle of Wight which is run by my running club in October but only about 100 people enter so I think it's a bit exposed and lonely for me.  I loved the crowd support and also the amount of runners in Manchester.

Just had a look at Berlin - it's September isn't it?  Lots of training for you over the summer then.

Think I will do some halfs and shorter runs this year and hopefully London next year if I can get a place on a GFA (bit worried about comments about short course though!!!).  Also swimming lessons I think - I can swim for ages but my technique is rubbish and I can't do the proper breathing - swimming would be great cross training I think, which I didn't really do this time.

• Options
    SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Oh, and Cameron13 - I love you!!!  ha ha...

• Options

sally - I'm a Yorkshire lass too  - and my surname is Cameron!

• Options
    SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Ha ha Molly - Cameron 13 was the 4 hour pacer on Sunday and I love him!!!!

Where in Yorkshire are you from?  I'm from Bridlington on the east coast.  Why are you living in Italy - why not of course, sounds fab!

• Options

Hey Sallymax... that post just made my day image

It was a wicked day out, I just hope I get the gig again next year, running with the 4hr massive is so much more fun than pb chasing!

Glad to hear your got your desired time... hardest part of the day for me was going to collect my bag, no joke it took about 60 hugs/handshakes to get across the car park to it, best karma I've had in years from running.

I have to admit I was very relieved to finish on 3:58... I stupidly looked over my shoulder at 7 miles and lets just say I was a little worried realising how many where relying on my flag... 4:01 would not have made for a very good party! 

Enjoy the recovery!
    Love 'the 4 hour pacer'

• Options

How do pacers calculate their pace?

• Options

Probably with a Garmin, the same way most of us doimage

• Options

What happened to 4:45?

• Options

What do you mean?

• Options
    birderbirder ✭✭✭

Hello all, (swoops in from his lurking perch!)

According to my Garmin my time last Sunday was 3.03.38 which is almost the same as my official time of 3.03.39!

From reading back over this thread there have been a lot of issues over the official timing, let's hope they get it all sorted because it has been the only real problem in this year's great race.

Full report of my race at http://keithscovell.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/manchester-marathon.html

Anyone looking for a flat Spring marathon should consider Blackpool, I have run this race seven times and it is perfect for a fast time. image

• Options

Ben,

I just used 2 garmins, one with a virtual partner set to 9:09 and then another on KM laps total time. Most pacers run at least 1 minute under as to be honest its not unusual for the course to surprise you by being a touch too long, Then add on a bit of time depending on the mass behind you so they are all going to finish under the chip time...

Then I'll just check progress at every 5k marker, adjust if need be... a bit of praying and remember to pick up speed by 10 seconds each mile where your coming in for water stops so you come out even at the other side...

We all run at a reduced pace so its comfortable but by the end of 26.2 miles you don't half had a big headache from the maths on route!

Ben Davies 15 wrote (see)

How do pacers calculate their pace?

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

It must be very rewarding to act as pacer and get your flock round. 

I was slightly surprised when the 3.45 pacer said he'd never run a marathon before....I assumed pacers were experienced marathoners?

• Options

I think experienced runners is the key phrase... personally my marathon tally is in the 30's and I was running close to 2 mins/mile slower but I'd never paced before at this distance. The 3:45 guy has run/paced plenty of very competitive half marathons and has a 5k of sub 17 so in terms of training load and speed he would have felt in control I'm sure... proof of the pudding is he was a minute or two under time which is a good result.

As for rewarding... hell yeah, its been a long time since I've run a 4hr and I had forgotten its importance in any marathon. Lovely experience to have so many people with you and to see them all sobbing with joy at the end... If I can I'll be repeating the gig next year image

• Options

Hi Cameron

i was within 100 metres or so of you for the entire race and you were a major factor in getting me round in 3.57.13 at the age of 47 in my first marathon. Running at even pace was a tough challenge, especially for the final two miles, but I managed to hang on.  I'd eased past you with about six to go, but could feel you breathing down my neck! Ultimately it was mind over matter and though I spent twenty minutes in the medical tent at the end it, was worth it.

I thought you were great both with your pace setting, loud encouragement and exhortations to the crowd to make some noise - and they did! Thank you so much  - you did a fantastic job

Jonathan 

• Options

Only 20 mins in the medical tent Jonathan? Well you know you have a little bit in the tank for next time thenimage

Your welcome btw, in all honesty I had a great laugh, I ran Rotterdam 2 weeks before at my pace but I loved running Manchester just as much...

Jonathan Hemus wrote (see)

Hi Cameron

i was within 100 metres or so of you for the entire race and you were a major factor in getting me round in 3.57.13 at the age of 47 in my first marathon. Running at even pace was a tough challenge, especially for the final two miles, but I managed to hang on.  I'd eased past you with about six to go, but could feel you breathing down my neck! Ultimately it was mind over matter and though I spent twenty minutes in the medical tent at the end it, was worth it.

I thought you were great both with your pace setting, loud encouragement and exhortations to the crowd to make some noise - and they did! Thank you so much  - you did a fantastic job

Jonathan 

• Options

Sally - born in Halifax, School in Bradford & Uni in Leeds..living in Oakworth (near Keighley). In Italy I'm in Pescara which is opposite Rome on the Adriatic coast. May sound nice but I work full-time so I can only watch people going to the beach image

Cameron - I was a 4.45 pacer at the Rome marathon a couple of years ago. I found it soooo tiring, I talked all the way round and I was shattered. 

• Options

Hi Cameron,

That's seriously impressive that you called the 3:58 so early and was bang on. Good work and the encouragement throughout was excellent (except for the 35k to go! Although I'm sure that was done tongue in cheek!). It was a big old gathering following you, loads of pressure, so well done again. We never did stop off at your mum's for tea!

Defo will hit sub 4 next time.

Cheers!

Cameron13 wrote (see)

Hey Paxton,

As I was the "3 Parkruns left" 4hr pace flag I can confirm I passed over the finish line on a chip time 03:58:13. Interestingly I made the course a few hundred metres short which I know quite a few others did which probably got us all in a little bit early.

In terms of the 4hr group we where due to have 2 flags but sadly the second pacer was injured the week before so it was all runners around mine. I remember looking over my shoulder at 7 miles and realising the disaster that would happen if I f*cked up on time so I aimed to keep quite close to 9's for the remainder of the course.

Unlucky on your time, so close! Hopefully see you there next year for a sub 4!

Cheers
    Gavin

Paxton Lee wrote (see)

Well done to everybody. Really good to see so many excellent times achieved by you all yesterday.

I came in at 04:03:10. I missed out my sub 4hr target but it is a 40 minute improvement on London last year so I'm pleased enough. I stayed with the 4hr pacer up until mile 22 then I felt him pull away I slowed down for a water station. I didn't have it in my legs or the will mentally to put in a burst to catch him up. I noticed my pace slipping and legs getting heavy around the open windy part of Carrington so I went for damage limitation then, slowly but surely rather than walk/run repeats.

Other thoughts from the day - I thought it was very well organised in the village (can't comment on parking/trams). Noticed a few people going into cones. One poor chap in the first mile got his legs tangled in a discarded bin bag and went over. I can't believe a fellow runner thought it was ok to leave that there on the course, tut tut. I didn't particular enjoy the opening five miles, the out and backs around Old Trafford. But once we got out onto the road it was great. The support was fantastic particularly through Sale, Altrincham and on the final three miles. I had a Spurs top on so I enjoyed some of the comments about that from the side, especially the chap with 200 metres to go who shouted "Spurs are sh*t mate" whilst clapping me. Following the pacer, it was quite congested in that bunch so, in future if I adopt a similar strategy I'll aim to hang back a bit further or go just ahead. The pacer did keep talking throughout and I liked the "Three parkruns to go" call, much better than his earlier effort of "35k left!" Does anyone know what time the 4hr pacer came in at? Early on he said our "landing" time would be 3:58. I liked the little jelly cubes but would have liked more isotonic drinks on offer. I kept in mind a piece of advice from here last week, from Panda I think, about taking the shortest line. My garmin came in at 26.08 miles, compared to London last year which was 26.6 miles!

At mile 23 I said to myself, never again. I had already previously signed up for Abingdon in October and was wondering how I could sell my place! Alas, 9am this morning I registered myself for the VLM ballot.

Cheers all for an enjoyable thread here and some great advice throughout. Well done again.