Options

2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Options

I omitted to mention Elspeth also got in 8 minutes ahead of me and also 3rd in her age group so definitely a good family day out!
    (my excuse is that she often posts in her own right)

• Options

Friday: new trainers, then a 10k run to test them

Saturday: 24 mins 40 at the parkrun in Newark... 2 mins slower than my 5k pb but it was a bit XC-ish!

Sunday: 15.1 miles LSR with two beasty hills. 2 hrs 26 I think, loved it! bit warm and sunny too!

That makes a 6 day streak, coverig 7 hrs 48 and 50.8 miles. Lovely! might rest Monday!

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

HM well done on the race!  Hope bag boy is feeling better todayimage

Stewart nice recovery run yesterday

Jason good steady 18 miler, plus recovery run - great stats for the weekimage

OH congrats on the age placing for both you and Elsimage and fantastic running from your sonimage

NP well done on the treddie 13

Fiona nice hilly fartlek session...great stats for the week

IJ great long hilly run on Sunday - well done on a great week's training

---

Feeling much better after a good night's sleep.  Only one more exam left for notsolittleTekimage

6m run this morning - all ok

Then Press-ups  20/25/20/20/28 = 113  (90 seconds recoveries).

• Options

Teknik, a Nice Run and your building up the pressups nicely as well as your mileage too !!

Iccle Jim, 50 Miles in a week is very good running. Well done on the 15 in the sun

Fiona, another 50 from you too. your back in the swing after VLM. Also your zooming along image

Jason, Awesome Mileage image 

Hi NP - at least you do not have long left at work now. the days of Dark o clock running will be left behind !!

OH, Congrats to you, your wife and your son for some awesome racing. I bet your fathers day meal was lovely !!  You have some running genes in your family too image

Stewar, Summer wedding & drink make for lots of fun and a some swesome hangovers...well done for getting out there to run !!

HM4, I like the race report. Well done to you. You have been building nicely. Good to hear you move through the field from the back

Mace - I think you have made a good choice. Brighton is very well run despite the price...you will run well again !!

Well the good news is I have recovered from a brilliant BBQ. The rain stayed off ( except for a couple if very small showers that folk ignored). I great way to see in the Big 40.  Going back to work today was a shock. Had ace two weeks off though so very happy at the moment. 

15 weeks to Berlin means that I ran 10 miles today. The last 3 weeks have averages about 27 Miles - So I need to get my Bum in gear now and start training properly again  !!!!  

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Jason fantastic running and miles for another week, work was getting in the way only one shift left starting Wednesdayimage.

Fiona that's another great week of training as well image

OH you and Elspeth are stars well done on your 3rd places imageimageimage

Jim  nice weeks runningimage

Teknik well done with the running and press ups.

AGF well done on your 10 miles today and 15 weeks will go in so quick, think I will still dark o'clock train but go back to bed for an hour or so image that's what all the pro's do lol.

Well 1 mile swim this morning HAhave kept my 45 to 60 min core work session every other day so will do a session later image Tempo session tomorrow image

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

Thanks, he's fine now.

AGF,

Thanks.  I'm usually like that in races.  I don't know how many people were behind me as yet but will let you know.

---------

Well done on everyone's training.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

IJ- well done on the streakimage

Fiona- Nice round OCD 50m for last weekimage

Tek- nice running and up pressingimage

NP- there'll be no stopping you when you finish!image

5.6 ish m recovery run this morning at the crack of dawn and a real confidence boosting run tonight. 1 hour solo MP run on the track- I always find it hard to maintain this as a solo run, so pleased to report that I ran 9.59m in the hour (6.15 av) and it felt comfortable (especially after the first 4m)  considering it was on the back of a 3 figure week and the day after a LRimage . Early days, but encouraging enough.... 

• Options

Jason fab mileage, superb stuff image

Fiona great week for you to , super going image

Oh good family running

Tek nice 6 earlier and press ups to go with it!

AGF glad the BBQ was a success , that time will fly by to Berlin

NP good swim and core work out that.

Well last week for me was a 37 mile total with a good mix of runs .

Tonight a 5 miler with 4 at tempo pace at 7.34 av which is the quickest tempo to date so a happy chap tonight 

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

OH well done to Elspeth too! image

IJ nice weekend's running. What make/model are the trainers?

Teknik, hope junior's exam goes well. Nice running and still doing the press ups; I like how you treat them like intervals with recoveries! image

AGF 15 weeks will fly but it is bags of time to get the polish on the fitness, you are running really well and the last 2 weeks will have done you lots of good. image

NP well done on the swim and core work, impressive to have kept that going. I can tell you are looking forward to the tempo run! image

Jason that's an impressive MP run on the track. Surprised you noticed the nice round 50! image

MG1 nice tempo running. image

Well looks like this will be my cutback week. Driving down to see Springsteen at Hampden tomorrow then Thursday & Friday at the Highland Show then Saturday the Highland Cross so no run tomorrow night, Thursday or Friday. image

So did 8 miles tonight with the middle 6 at 7:15mm pace or thereabouts. image

F

• Options

Evening,

Just had a quick read back.

HM4 very well done on the race and super report too, hope you are recovering well today.

Stewart like Tek I do try and keep a 75% ceiling on most of the long runs, even if it means walking up a hill, you would soon find the pace picks up after a few weeks. Nice running and mileage all the same, and that 11.5 sounds tough, and super recovery run and nice low HR today.

Tek great mileage for the week...and keeping the HR nice a low

OH wow I didnt realise your son was so fast !! very well done to him, and of course to you and Elspeth , a great family day out  indeed..

Fiona looks like you have a busy week what better time to have a recovery week ?, enjoy Springsteen and I am sure you will find time to get some running done , and well done on the  6 miles @ 7.15s !! nice one

MG1 super pace for that tempo, you have every reason to be a happy chappy with that.

AGF I am glad you had a great birthday and didnt get too wet..now its time to get down to some serious training, 15 weeks will fly by..it will take longer to get fit now you are 40 ..lol !!!  you will be tapering before you know it !!

NP I wondered where you were, glad to see you still managed to get some great training done dispite life being very busy, and amazing 13 miles on a treadmill..!!

I went to watch my eldest son do his first half iron man  yesterday The Cotswolds 113, a great event to watch , he did it in 5.15, very proud of him, I dont know much about the timing of cycling/mileages/transistions but he rounded the whole thing off with a 1.44 half marathon, which seems pretty good to me after swimming well over a mile and biking 57 miles. I have transfered my Abingdon place to him, and that will be his first marathon

I did a longish run today as I didnt run over the weekend due to being away and grandchildren sitting..

11.5 miles in 1.51 ....9.39s pace AVE HR 73% pleased with that

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

NN- well done on delayed LishRimage

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Jason, I would still get lost even if I had a compass and map, good running once again image

OH, congratulations, a great day for the family

NP, well done with the treadmill run and the swim yesterday

Fiona, not long now until the cross, if I don't see you through the week good luck image

IJ, a good week of training well done

Tek, good luck to notsolittleTek, nice running and presups from you

AGF, good to hear the weather was ok for the BBQ, nice 10 miler

MG, well done with the quick tempo run, looking good

NN, great advice thanks, I'll try and keep the easy runs at 75%, well done with the 11 mile run

-------------------------------------------

6 mile run last night from the sports centre, will use the same route tonight for JS if I'm in the 6 mile group, then it was off to body balance, abs are stiff today

Stats: 6.23mi, 1:04:13 @10:18mm, avgHR143(75%)

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Some impressive training everyone image

Nurse, Stewart - yes, Brighton is a bit steep at £60 but having done it once i can agree with AGF, it's a superbly organised / supported race and i'm willing to pay a bit more. I also panicked a bit that if i didn't get into VLM via the ballot i may end up doing a marathon who knows where ... so i guess peace of mind won the day in the end.

Tek - 14M feeling rough takes some doing, hat's off. How are you finding the pressups ? Definitely improving !! Not done any for a week myself so went for 5 x 20 ( 60 secs ) this morning but my arms gave up half way through the last rep image. I guess it's the 100 challenge you're doing ?

HM4, OH, Elspeth - great racing / reporting, well done image

MG - a nicely nailed tempo is a great feeling, nice one image

NP - nice to hear from you

jason - awseome mileage. I had a sniff through some old posts earlier and notice you were knocking out 54 min 10k's about 4 years ago .... huge improvement since then mate, fantastic. 

I was speaking to a work colleague yesterday who's targetting a local marathon and is suffering from a few injury problems. I think doing most of his training at PMP MINUS 30secs may have something to do with it .... OUCH !!!

Last week was another 50M week @ 8:14 @ 72% so this week will be a cutback at around 35M. Could do with an easy week as well because on Saturday i'm being lined up by my kids for a smackdown at our parkrun against their teacher image ... problem is he's built like a rake and 20 years younger image

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

AGF glad the BBQ went well.  Nice 10 miler, and yes, no more slacking!image

NP good swim and core work - and I see the tempo went well this morningimage

Jason well done on the hour's worth of MP - cracking pace, and straight after Sunday's LR !

MG nice tempo - well done on the pace improvement

Fiona great MP run.  Enjoy the concert - The River is one of my all time favourite albums image

NN congrats to your eldest - a few of the club have done their first Half Irons, so I know that's a good time.  Well done on the 11.5mimage

Stewart good 6 miler and well done on the gym class too.

Mace (and Fiona) yes I'm doing the 100 press-up challenge.  I'm following the same programme HM did - basically it's sets that build up, with varying rest periods.  Nearly bit the carpet on the last set...Well done on another low HR 50m week, and good luck for Saturday - I'm sure you'll toast himimage

----

Humid here today.  I had a nose-bleed on the run, wearing a white vest...but I sweated so much that the vest was clean by the end !  9.83m in total - 3.6m on my own on the tarmac, 6m on a hilly route through the park and woods with the club, then 0.23m in strides.    

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Jason that's a tough session on a track mate.

MG1 tempo run I can see why your happy.

Fiona that's also a great session for you enjoy the cut back and Bruce going to see him in Augustimage

NN nice medium long run nice to see you running well.

SC enjoy your run tonight, well done on last nights.

Mace great weeks training, but just think of the stick the teacher is going to get when you beat himimage don't worry about the age difference.

Teknik well done on your run, your still banging the miles out image glad the nose bleed didn't bother you.

Well Obama gave a great shout out for the World Police and Fire Games yesterday and after today's run I'm still hopeful that I can do well in the four events that I have put in for. image today's run was 1 mile warm up 1 mile Tempo 1 mile steady 1 mile Tempo 2 miles ststart and happy with that image

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NP good run today.  I've only got you down for the WPFG Half and Biathlon - what else are you doing?

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

NN,

I'm fine.  I was really surprised I didn't ache.

Mace,

Thanks.

Tek,

That sounds familiar.  I think there's a sit up challenge if so then I'll give that a go.

--------------

Well done guys.

Results are up for the Ladies 5 and I came 101 out of 124 finishers.

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Teknik 5000m and 10k cross country but not enough rest between everything me thinksimage

HM4 well done with your run have you been out since?

• Options

Evening.

Mace I guess whe you put it like that its worth it, and also what we all save in not spending on  alcohol, unlike half the population, leading up to a race MORE than pays for it. .and both of my autumn half marathons are costing 35 each. Its our hobby so worth every penny. Superb mileage /pace and HR for last week, well done. Kids eh !! lol..come on beat the teacher and make them proud image

Stewart how are you finding the P&D schedule are you managing to stick to the sessions ? my favourite are the stride sessions even the half marathon plan has that session and I did mine today, nice to see you continuing with the body balance

Tek ..yuk people must have thought you had been mugged !! having said that that did happen to me weird isn't it ? humidity equals pressure I guess and its that the causes the bleed..good effort for carrying on.

NP remind me what events are you entering in the games, great session today.

Been looking at a couple of local races I can do as hard tempo runs to fit in with the schedule ..Tek when you get time put me down for

Charmouth Challenge 6th July  (8 miles)

Chudleigh 10k 19th July

Totnes 10k 4th August

Exeter 10k 15th August

Torbay 10k 25th August

Hang on I said a couple of races lol...image

I did 7 miles with 8 x 100m strides, as I said my fav session on the P&D  schedules, nice and easy then 100 m flat out, recover repeat .. all done in 63 mins.. AVE HR 77%

• Options

Cross post,

HM4 glad you are recovering well and well placed in the results, when is your next one ?

NP how long between the races ?

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

mace- enjoy the smackdownimage

NP- nice runningimage Had to do the mp session on the track to keep a regular pace- hills everywhere around me which is great, but not for that session

Tek- If we are doing 10ks, I'm doing the Llanelli John Hartson 10k on Junes 30thimage Lovely image of the nose bleed and the sweatimageimage

NN- Nice striding!image

5.7m recovery run here this morning which was quite pleasant and 1.30 steady this evening- which was humid and sweaty and insect-filledimageimage The 1.30.00 turned out to be 12.31m tonight (7.19 av)image Intervals tomorrow before recovery day on Thursdayimage

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

5000m 1 days rest, half marathon 1 days rest, 10k cross country, next day biathlon. might give the cross country a miss will see how I feel after the half.

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Cross post Jason, more fantastic training in the bank mate.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

NP- Sounds busyimageimageimage Think the key, if you are going to really run them all, will be pacing and recoveryimage

• Options

Mace nice weekly total and good pace as well

Tek good effort earlier hope the nose is Okay.

NP good mix of paces thereimage.

NN nice running bet it was a bit warm and muggyimage

jason another great couple of runs today, the bugs are pain right now.

Well for me , Half hour warm up in gym and then 1 hour with trainer working core and legs at 30 second intervals, was pretty hot and sweaty their but all good stuffimage plan to be out early doors tomorrow before it gets too warm and humid.

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Mace, Great mileage again and for a low HR, good luck with the parkrun not that you'll need it

Tek, well done finishing your run after getting a nose bleed, you've been through the wars this week

NP, nice tempo intervals today

HM, go for it 

NN, P&D is going well I didn't get the longer run done last week but got the required mileage in for the week with an extra run, the body balance is really helping noticing a big difference in my core strength and flexibility well done with the 7 with strides

Jason, another great day of training

MG, a tough gym session well done

--------------------------------------

6 mile JS run tonight over the same route as last night, ran it at an easier pace but the HR was a good few beat higher, probably all the chatting I was doing.

Stats: 6mi, 1:03:51 @10:37mm avgHR148(78%)

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

HM I flirted with the idea of the Sit-Up challenge too - but 200 sounds too much for me! image

NP that sounds like a tough week !

NN nice 7m and a good effort on the stridesimage

Jason nice recovery and good run last night.

MG well done with the gym and trainer

Stewart nice 6 miler with the JS group.

---

Work day today.  1m w/up, 0.26m w/d, 9.6m at MP HR.  Stupidly forgot to put auto-lap back on after yesterday's strides, but stayed mostly in the right zone and averaged 8:09mm.  Roughly same average and peak HR as last week but 1.6m extra in distance.  Really humid again here. 

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Race List updated

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/blog-view.php?id=53497

or

http://nrwoolnough.wix.com/2013-race-list (scroll down)

We now have a race in every week until the end of October- save w/e 14 July and w/e 28 July - so any entries are welcome, please let me know.image

• Options

Jason a quick 12 miler well done, and as for those pesky flies and bugs this time of year its even worse if like me you wear contact lenses, I have to try and get the fly out without scratching or losing the lens , 

NP not much recovery time there, image might be wise to skip the 10k. (but knowing you you wont !!image )

MG1 nice core session, bet the trainer pushes you harder than if you did the session solo !

Stewart glad you are liking the schedule, I was pleased to find a P&D  HM schedule, I train better to a set plan, I do pilates which I suppose is similar to body balance and find that too has really helped, and I am alot stronger I started 4 months ago using a 2k hand weights in each hand, and now I use 3k, I think I will go up to 4k in a couple of weeks which will match our instructor

Tek nice MP session in the heat, thanks for updating the race list, I wasn't sure if you were adding 10ks with it being a marathon thread

Pilates then 9 hot hilly humid miles 1 hour 26...@ 9.33s Ave HR 72%...pleased with that considering  how hot it is today