Options

2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Options

rested from running today, as planned, but did 60 mins in the gym with weights and stretchesimage

• Options

T (son) just taken Silver for Orkney at 10000m at Nat West Islands Games in Bermuda (32:43.79) imageimageimage

• Options

Well done SM6, NN and MG1 for getting out in the heat.
    FionaC, we've still got wind and not looking very summery, suspect Caithness is similar.

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

AGF, awesome mileage last week and you deserve a cut back week nice 12 miler

OH, another 6 in the bank hope the weather is better today up your way

SM, a nice mlr from you, sound like a good plan building up to the half on Sunday, hope the temps are more manageable

NN, another good run yesterday,

Jason, nice doubling again,

Fiona, nice and cool 7 mile run last night, I think you will enjoy the southside run I believe you can run back along the riverside into Inverness from Dores

MG, another good run, well done

IJ, nice cross training session

OH, Congrats you must be proud as punch

------------------------------------------

3 mile recovery run last night around the canal, a bit windy but kept me nice and cool

Stats: 3.34mi, 36:11, 10:50mm, 128(67%)

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Only away a day and loads of reading backimage

SC That's a cracking 20 mile run banked.image and nice weekly stats.

Channon you could try Triathlon shorts they might help but glad your last run was ok.

SM6 gym, snooker and 6 miles well done mate that's a lot to fit in and well done on the 12 miles yesterday.image

NN not everyone likes to run in the heat but well done on yesterdays 13image good luck with the new trainers. Since London I have tried to get a pair of Adiddas adizero boost in a size 9, they only made a few pairs before London but I have now got a pair on order, so looking forward to running in them.

Fiona I did 5 days on the beet root juice before London like the juice but the shots taste crap its all down to the lemon that's added in my view, but watch out everything turns pinkimage Well done on your run last night.

AGF great weeks running 71 miles in the bank, bet you would never have thought you would do 70+ miles a week a few years back, well done on the 12 yesterdayimage

OH well done on the 6 miles I know it as sea roeimage Well done to the son that's a great time and a great result.

Jason got to love them hillsimage great running as always mate.

MG1 well done in the heat.image

Jim enjoy the rest, well done on the stretching.

Went up to Glenarm and ran for the new club for the first timeimage last night 5k trail/road managed 9th place and 3rd from the club in 19:26 so happy with that then ran the course in reverse to cool down before going for a paddle in the seaimage OH how the hell do you swim in that it's bloody freezing.......

• Options

Only run twice in the last week: by calf felt tight during a run last Monday, and by the end was very painful (limping around most of the rest fo the day). Pain had gone by Friday, so I tried a gentle 4 miler over lunchtime, and it went again. I've rested up since then, and the pain has gone again.

Going to the physio tomorrow, as I really don't want this to re-occur: I'm guessing if I rest it up until the weekend I should be able to test it out again, but I'll go with what the physio says.

Any advice out there, people? If I can run without any adverse reactions, should I just scale back the training plan by a week or so? (I'm in week 5 of a 16 week plan for Chester).  Keep the running at an easy pace for a few days before introducing pace work or longer runs? Any particular stretches or other exercises recommended?

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

HB- go with the physio's adviceimage

NP- not loving the hills today- sore glutes! image

OH- well done to junior!image

5.6m this morning, 1 hour fartlek session this evening. Not going too crazy in this heat and on post massage legs though!

• Options
    OH wish we had a bit of your weather, was a wee bit warmer than here today than yesterday

Stewart C nice little run earleir

NP well done on the club run and result, could have done with a nice cold sea to jump into after todays run image

Jason nice work earlier on bet the Fartlek session was tough in the heat.

6 m at 8.23 av , warmer here today and less windy than yeserday image
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Mg1- well done on the rn and the weather! image

Fartleks done, but no top end speed after yesterday's hills has left my glutes sore and yesterday's massage left my legs floppy- lol! image Not to mention the fact it was 26 degrees! Lol! Didn't push it, but still ok though- 8.02m in 54.52 (6.50 av)

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

OH,

Well done to your son.

NP,

Well done.

------------

Well done on everyone's training.  Chris has told me we're due to get this warm weather for the next month.

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

OH amazing result by your son, very well done to him! I heard about the Island Games when on Harris, great idea!

Stewart nice recovery run.

Great club running NP, you'll be a real bonus for the club! Agree with you about the sea, I'd only go in there with a dry suit!! image

Nice warm running Jason and MG1. A nice temperature here, around 22-24 and a brisk breeze! Thought I was getting chilly between reps tonight but got warm again on the run. image

Did half mile reps tonight (6) but total miles done 8.4. Ventured to the other club and the ladies were in the majority for the reps! image Another really nice, friendly bunch but then runners usually are! image

F

• Options

T running again tonight (0010 - 5000m)...imageimage

FC - Islands games have been going since 1985, I think

NP - water feels warmer when you're immersed. No wind, no evaporation. Just get dry and layers on quickly when you get out. Not freezing just now it's about 12C for usimage
    btw - no triathlons - they're violent and I'm a head up breastroke manimageimage

JSN nice fartleks

HB welcome

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

NP, cracking run in your 5k trail race you're right to be happy with the result

HB, welcome to the thread

Jason, great running again, you're a machine

Fiona, sounds like a really good session,

OH, hope your son does well in the 5000m tonight image

-------------------------------------------

5 mile JS run, first 3 miles with the 6+ group then we went our seperate ways, still very warm out.

Stats: 5.02mi, 52:45, 10:30mm, 146(76%)

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Fiona, Stewart & OH,

Well done.

• Options

Stewart - Nice easy run last night

OH - Well done to your son, and good luck to him for tonightimage Cracking time for the 10000m too.

Fiona - Cracking interval session yesterday, nice speedy 800s

Jason - Nice fartlekking

NP - Nice result in the 5k, well doneimage

MG - Nice running in the heat.

--------------

6.0 miles @ 9:36

Ankle not totally right yet, but run felt good.image

• Options

well done to your son, OH. Great result!

good runs everyone, don't let the "be lazy in the sun" people drag you down!

-------------------

6 miles XC last night with the club, then 10 slowish and hot miles this evening.

I've now broken this year's 1000 mile barrier image and tomorrow should beat last year's mileage!

• Options
    Fiona well done on last nights club outing

Stewart C good run earliermin warm conditions

SM6 good 6 , hope the ankle gets 100% right

IC well done on the 10 and 6 last night,

6 m along the buggy canal path earlier at 8.15 av, stil 25 0c here
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Nice running guys

IJ- well done on the milestone image

5.7 recovery this morning and an easy paced, hard effort 12m tonight- took 500ml water and still managed to lose 3lbs in weight during the run!

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Good luck to T OH!

Good to see everyone seems to be getting out in the heat. image

Rest day for me. The piriformis playing up again - started on Saturday and really complained when doing the intervals. Happy to rest, not like spring with a target marathon to run!! image

F

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Jason great running yesterday and great running today, the heats wonderful for weight lossimage

Fiona looks like you enjoyed running with the other group, did you beat all the other womenimage go easy with the piriformis.

MG1 nice running in the heat.

Jim well done on the two days running and going through 1000 for the year.

SM6 go easy on the ankle mate.

SC great mileage for the week mate well done,

OH T cant will everything but it shows that he is better over longer distances.

Out with the club tonight for intervals 2x3 mins, 4x2mins 2x 1 mins happy with how I did with these.image First real intervals for a long time.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

NP- nice intervals in the eat! What. Pace were they???

fiona- do you do piriformis and glute stretches? I have to keep on top of these....

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

jason I do some but not enough and that will change! Also I have just started the weights again so must keep going with that. Feels a lot better this morning.

Nice intervals NP. image No chance of me beating these ladies, there is one 36 min 10k runner there!!

F

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Jason tried to be as fast as possible amazed to see 4:40 to 6:00 paceimage

Fiona bet you would beat them over the longer stuff, plus they will help drop your 5 and 10k times image

• Options

T decided not to do the 5000m to save himself for the HM on Friday image

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

HM, Hi hope you're well

SM, take care of that ankle, nice steady 6

IJ, nice double well done breaking the 1000 miles

MG, a hot run along the canal, hope there was a little breeze to cool you down

Jason, well done with the double, must be tough the temps down south are so high at the moment

Fiona hope the piriformis stretches do the trick

NP, that is a cracking pace

-----------------------------------------------

12 mile MLR last night, decided to make it a run with a fast finish, kept it easy for the first 8 and picked it up over the last 4 miles, a really enjoyable run, right hip felt a little stiff after 7 miles, so more stretching and strength work required

Stats: 12:04mi, 1:59:31, 9:56mm, 144(76%)

• Options

StewartC - lot of miles going under the belt for you

FionaC SM6 hope injuries get sorted soon

MG1 mmm ... buggy canal pathsimageimage ... ah the benefits of windimage

IJ Well done on breaking the 1000 milesimage

NP probably right decision for T
    (but would have been nice to know before we waited up to gone 1am to see results trickle in without his name and finishing time. We heard the reason this morning via Radio Orkney.image)
    Hope intervals went well.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Stewart,

I'm fine.  Although I'll be glad when it cools down at night.

-----------

Well done on everyone's training.

• Options

OH - Haha. Good luck to him in the half tomorrowimage

Stewart - Good 12, and a nice pace for the last few miles. Well done

----------

Quick gym session tonight. Glad I wasn't running again tonight, I'd be genuinely surprised if the unshaded temp here was under 40 at 1700. So I'll have to be very slow and gentle on tomorrows run.

Weather for Sunday looks ok, forecast for 14 degrees at 10amimage Dundee must be the coldest place on the mainlandimage

• Options

8 miles tonight as "JS sandwich". Sunny but windy.

• Options

AGF wow how do you fit 70 miles per week in Long runs and do you do intervals and hill reps

Not keen on running on a treadmill find it boring