Options

2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Options

Well enjoy the champers when your better Night Nurse. I celebrated with a bottle of camel valley ( made near you )....

If anyone wants to see a man struggling to make the sub 1:30 the photo on the top right corner of this link shows me 50 metres from the finish with an empty tank !!

http://www.marathonfoto.com/Half-Marathon/Adidas-Half-Marathon-Silverstone-2013/LastName/Quantick/BibNumber/1753/offering/myMarathonfotos/RaceOID/19802013W2/Language/en

The top left shows a happy medal.

However lets not forget.....the marathon is what its all about...... image

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

AGF,

Link didn't work for me.

• Options

Sorry guys - not sure how to get that to work. Nevermind image

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Mace- well done on the 20image

AGF- DEFINITELY time for a name changeimage

NN- Hope you feel better soonimage

Back on the case today with 2x 6.5m recovery runsimage

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Mace that's a great 20 mile run sir well done image

SM6 well done on the 10 miles enjoy the bike and swimming.

HM4 how's the press ups going?

Jason well done with the double runs today nice to see you back at it.

As for me 1 mile swim (64x25 m) am, window cleaning and grass cutting this afternoon followed by 6 miles recovery run image
  • Options

Just back from weekend in far south with only one brief run snatched before breakfast on Saturday. 6 miles today -on taper but still got a niggle in foot. No worse for running today though.

A lot of impressive stuff on here from weekend
    Llanelli HM - Jason D Great performance even it wasn't all you'd hoped for
    Bideford HM - Night Nurse  well done
    Essex 20 - Teknik - Good PB (starting off too fast  - we nearly all do it)
    BTW is this the race where every local male runner starts the race with a gold medal? image
    Thanet 20 - Mace
    Silverstone HM AGF  great PB and entertaining writeup.image

MG1 - a strong 20 image
    FionaC
    good 21. image Is 21 ever "nice and easy" (really)? image
    and NPimage
    Likewise StewartC glad to see someone else does long training runs at my sort of pace
    Good training  SM6
    NN Belated Happy Birthday.
    btw all my PBs are over 50 PBs!!!image

beetroot image I hate it with a passion.
    Something to do with tinned beetrooot being standard veg at primary school

• Options
    Mace great effort on the 20

SM6 good run earlier enjoy the cross training

Jason good double recovery run

NP nice run and swim, plus the lawn mowing!

NN hope your getting over the boutof lurgy

Good session of cross training leg strength and core work tonight in the gym
  • Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Oh no, not grass cutting already NP! image 

NN such a shame to end your day like that, hope you feel a lot better now.

Stuart a nice day's training yesterday.

mace a fantastic 20 miler, well done!! Must be a real confidence boost. image

NP nice recovery day although that's a good day's training with the grass cutting and window cleaning!! image

OH I hope the foot gets better when tapering.

MG1 nice gym work.

A recovery 4 miles this morning the 6 miles with 3 lots of 2k (8 mins) tonight (total 6 miles)

F

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    OH welcome back, hope the foot is ok.

Fiona another great 10 miles in the bank on the back of a 21 mile run image
  • Options

Sorry mace left off the congratulations for you too - well done on beating your target.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stuart good 10 miler yesterday. Hope the 20 went ok

Stewart thanksimage

Jason well done on last night's recovery / sprintimage and nice double again today

AGF based on that sub 1:30 you must be hovering near 3:15 now.

mace your Thanet 20 was the run I should have done. Great running and, as AGF says, plenty in the tank.

NN oh no! Wish you well very soon

NP well done on the swimming, domestic cross-training and recovery runimage

OH LoL yes, and compulsory tattoo for all the finishers...hope you shake that niggle soon.

MG well done on the gym work.

Fiona nice recovery and speedwork double today.

HM thanks hope you're ok

---

No signs, fortunately, of any bad effects from yesterday's stupidity.  4m recovery, legs ok.image

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    NN, hope you're feeling better now,

Jason, good too see you back at it,

NP, well done with the swim and recovery run, can't believe you're cutting the grass already

OH, well done with the 6, it's encouraging that the foot is no worse, some of the paces being run here I couldn't hit in an interval session,

MG1, well done getting a good workout done

Fiona, great double today after yesterday's 21 mile run

6 mile recovery run for me this evening, kept the pace about10:30mm until the last mile, finished with a 9:30min mile
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

nice recovery run Stewartimage

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    Xpost

Tek, glad there are no ill effects from your race yesterday, well done with the recovery run
  • Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Teknik and Stewart, nice recovery running.

Up early but decided that stretching, foam roller and core work probably of more benefit than a recovery run. Will be out later.

F

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Nurse - get better soon, sorry you had to miss out on the nippers image

Tek - good to see you've come out of the 20 ok, a good sign

Fiona - nice work .. i'm really getting into the foam rolling, they're super gadgets image in fact i've done a lot more stretching and flexibility stuff lately, and have realised how beneficial it is. Core i've never had a problem with but the rest i've neglected which is a big mistake.

NP - book arrived yesterday ( art of running faster ) ... interesting read. concentrated on my "pulling" today image

Great training everyone

What a beautiful morning !!! First run in a single layer since i've forgotten when image

10M w 6 x 1000 @ 5k ( 2min recoveries ) .. intervals run along the seafront promenade as the sun came up with a perfectly still sea.

Aimed for 6:30 and did ... 6:30, 6:30, 6:26, 6:30, 6:28, 6:29 .... was working fairly hard to make the last one.

Overall the intervals had me sweating, puffing and spluttering a bit and i had a very pleasant ache in the legs on the cool down home image

• Options

Still not too good, bit better but no way well enough to run or do much image really pissed off as its a beautiful day, and would love to get out for a run.

Mace fast reps so close to that brilliant 20 miler well done..it is indeed a gorgeous day , the best in ages and I am in bed !!!!!image

Tek and StewartC nice to get some easy recovery runs done after a hard weekend 

Fiona you know whats best for you have a good run later, I must get a foam roller, I dont feel I suffer any aches and pains but feel as if I a missing out on something by not having one..

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Nurse, mine was £15 off Amazon , excellent buy.

I was getting some soreness in the top of my legs and after having it for a couple of days i found some really tender spots really high up the thigh around the groin area. I rolled them and was close to crying image ... next day i rolled again and it was uncomfortable .... the day after i felt NOTHING !! 

Since then it's really helped with various tight spots

Money well spent i reckon.

Hope you can get out soon ...

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Fiona good work on the roller - enjoy your run later

mace super interval session - great splitsimage

NN sorry you're still not right

---

13.5 miles this morning, with the middle 6 with the club.  Bright sunshine, but still a little chilly here.image

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

x-post, cheers Tek, nice 13.5 image

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Mace enjoy the bookimage

Fiona nice to do the other stuff.

Teknik nice running sir

NN get well soon but the rest won't hurt.

Up and out at dark o'clock very cold here and lots of ice so did 1 mile warm up 2 tempo 1 steady 2 tempo 1 steady. Happy with the splits for this and driving that lactate level back some more image
  • Options

It sounds like a few of us are "suffering" from tough runs at the weekend. Althogh I am very impressed with some of the tempo/intervals that were run yesterday.  Well done guys.

I did a couple of very short jogs yesterday and plan the same today. This will be a low mileage week I think as legs are very heavy after the weekend run !! image

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

NP,

I started week 2 yesterday which was a total of 25 press ups.

Tek,

I'm fine.

---------

Well done on everyone's training.

2.46 miles done this morning.  If I can get out again this week then I'll start a 10k plan.  I've also entered my first race which is in May (Hook 2.5 mile race).

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

NP- cold here this morning- minus 2 and I was scraping ice from the car in a pair of shorts- lol! Nice tempo intervalsimage

On the roller front, i've got The Stick

Tek- nice running againimage

NN- hope the recovery continuesimage

Stewart- nice recovery

HM4- well done on the press ups and the runimage

6m recovery run for me this morning- started at 5.45 and for the first time this year, i could turn my headtorch off for the last 2mimage 10m with 8x100 strides this evening in 1.13.28 and my legs are starting to feel looser againimage

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Jason,

Thanks & well done to you.

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    HM4 well done on the press ups and run nice to have a plan.

AGF enjoy the recovery runs today more speed by the weekend.

Jason snap scraped mine off before I went in for my shower, well done on your run.

Second tempo run of the day done this time on a treadmill at work 1 mile and cool down at 8:00 pace and 5 miles at 6:15 pace. Legs feeling good and could have done more at this pace. image
  • Options
    Mace. Don't tell the wife that you have been practicing you pulling technique

NP, tonight's run was bad... Needs a days rest. Fair enough. Well done on your runs though..

Stewart/Jason/Tek, good running !!

I too use the stick. Like it portability... ( I also like the carrot)
  • Options
    Up against time tonight so a treadmill run and got the roller out as muscles were felling a bit tight, seems to be working for me but can be a painful in particular spots

Nice efforts Tek, NP, Jason

Shame no chance of getting out today as the weather was super!
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Just finished inflicting pain on myself - first with medicine ball and then with massage stick.....
  • Options

Speaking of inflicting pain...

Iv been working a day or two behind on my schedule to free my weekends that have been hectic. Tried to go out yesterday for a 15miler and a tummy ache forced me in  at 10miles. Felt alot better today so got myself out today and forced myself round 15miles in 2h20. Last 2 miles felt terrible, temperature outside didnt help i think. Need to start trying to get LSR back to a sunday.