Options

2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Options

Thanks mace.

I must say that those are two very very good sessions in two days !!!

Thanks Too Tek

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    MG1 not into golf but don't mind running around the course image

SC a few short runs to recover from the all out effort of the half first before any more big efforts, I think we are all too fast in coming back full pelt.

AGF just done a massage on my calfskin myself which I do from time to time, hope the stretching helps sort you out. There is a great video of Meb Keflezighi on you tube where he is going through some stretches he uses a rope for the hamstring to pull his leg which I have been using and also the stretch he is doing for the perimformis works well. The thing about him is he is a lot older then some runners and still at the top so something he is doing is right.

Mace that's two great sessions sir.

Well an easy/steady 10 miles banked this morning image
  • Options

Thanks NP - will take a look.  Well done on your 10

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Thanks Gents

And ta for the IT tips Tek, i'll have a sniff around later

Good work NP, keep topping that bank up image

• Options

NP - Nice run today

Mace - That's a couple of cracking runs, well done

AGF - Hope everything clears up, it sounds like you've made the right choice.

Tek - Good running today

Stewart - I had a wee look at your run on fetch, and what Tek says is right, your HRM went nuts for miles. Also, theres a good chance you aren't fully recovered from Sunday, I felt like crap when I was out last night.

Fiona - Enjoy the holiday!

--------

4.5miles @9.30ish yesterday, felt terrible. Going out for 10 or so in an hour, hopefully that'll be a bit better.

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    Tek, this is my second strap the first went the same way, on fetch are the heart rate zones in WHR on the run log, well done itch the six earlier

AGF, sorry to here about you missing Brighton, I'm sure you'll be fighting fit for Berlin

Mace, speedy interval session and a good progressive MLR, looking good

NP, great advice as always from you guys on the thread, I'm going to bin the VO2Max session on Friday for an easy run as I've got my final 20 mile run at the weekend. Another good run from you sir,

Just about to go and get ready for JS, looking to do around 5 miles tonight, it's going to be interesting, freezing out and it's blowing one too!
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NP nice easy 10m this morningimage

Stuart hope you're feeling better for that 10 tonight

Stewart hope you don't freeze at JS tonight.  The Fetch zones are WHR - you can convert to max% by sticking zero in your RHR in General settings under Settings (top right)

• Options

Fiona, I too went on my own I had got chatting on to some posters off the sub 3.45 thread who had been on that trip before so met up with them at Faro and shared a room with one of the girls, its a great confidence builder doing something like that on your own, at least you know you will have something in common with everyone...RUNNING !!

AGF  a tough decision and a shame but you have a really good base and will come back even stronger.

Mace a very fast set of 1200 !! good effort and an excellent MLR a damn sight better than my sessions this week I have felt really tired

Tek are you not going to race a half before your marathon to get an idea of where you are ?

Stewart enjoy that wet windy run, I ran on the dreadmill this afternoon, I a sick and bloody tired of wind and rain.

Hey that foa rollerthing is quite painful in places innt ??image

6 miles with some strides in 50 mins done on the treadmill thank god todays scheuled session wasnt longer I couldnt do more than that indoors..

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NN well done on the 6m plus strides.  I've got my local half on Sunday, which I plan to run at 7:15mm or faster...but it's a vanity thing, because I don't think that's going to tell me whether I can hang on to 8mm for 26 miles...image.  Go easy on the roller !image

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

Excellent.  I've just finished week 4 & need to do the exhaustion test so think I'll leave that until Saturday after work.

--------

Well done on everyone's training.

• Options

10.1 @ 9.17ave tonight. Legs are clearly still not recovered from Sunday, but are getting there. 

Rest tomorrow, maybe have a wee jog from Hampden back to Glasgow city centre to catch a train after the football tomorrow night.

• Options

10.1 @ 9.17ave tonight. Legs are clearly still not recovered from Sunday, but are getting there. 

Rest tomorrow, maybe have a wee jog from Hampden back to Glasgow city centre to catch a train after the football tomorrow night.

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭
    NP shame about the forecast but you never know how things will turn out.

MG1 2 degrees and wind chill probably about -4. I thibk we are long overdue our Spring!

Stewart I hope JS goes well. Thinking about it tonight when out running.

Teknik nice steady run.

AGF sounds sensible and great once the mind is made up. You will have such a massive base you'll absolutely fly round Berlin.

Mace 2 tough sessions, well done.

Stuart well done on the 10.1 and hope you get your run tomorrow.

HM4 an exhaustion test sounds tough!

NN nice 6m. Everyone very nice here, arrived around midday so went for an easy 4m on my own then at 4:30 we went along the cliffs, stunning scenery and running in shorts, t-shirt and sunglasses is just so nice! 5.2m in the afternoon. Was running with MG and said I might do the loop again but he advised not to as lots more quality training to come. My hill running paid off as there was talk of hills but the undulating cliff run was not what I'd call hilly! Short slopes you could zip up before getting out of breath. A great run route. Very happy!

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    NN nice running

Teknik another good run from yourself

SM6 well done on your 10 mile run

Fiona sounds like all your hill work has paid off image enjoy your running in the sun, I take it MG is Mike Gratton? Now there is someone who ran a lot of miles every week.
  • Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

SM6, sounds like we are in a similar state after our race at the weekend, glad the legs seem to be getting better

Fiona, shorts, T shirt and sunnies, sounds Devinne, enjoy your week in the sun image

NN, Nice treadie run, the wind had died down by seven and it wa dry, which made the run a lot more bearable

Tek, I tried resetting the resting heart rate to zero but it wouldn't stick kept original value , but I could set it to 1 image

A very easy 4.3 miles tonight at the back of the 4 mile group, probably just what the legs needed

• Options
    Cross training last night, now back to the winter weather here, 3 inches of snow! Easy one later - get the trial shoes out again!
  • Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    MG1 yep winter has returned here with snow drifts and over 18inches of the bloody stuff came to work on the Motorway as roads closed over the hills and the motorway was down to a single lane, snow chains at the ready.

1 mile swim this morning , I think the half tomorrow might be canceled.....
  • Options

1.25km swim this afternoon. Weather is wild again here, not looking forward to an LSR in this...

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

HM well done on finishing week 4. Let us know how you do on the test...image

Stuart well done on last night's 10m, and today's swim. LSR tonight? Eek!

Fiona nice double with some gentle hills - sounds great !

Stewart I gues 1 bip won't make much difference,,,well done on the easy 4m

MG well done on the cross training, have fun in the snow...

NP wow that's a lot.  Well done on the swim.  Fingers crossed the weather turns for your half tomorrow.

---

4m recovery jog this afternoon, after a morning massage and 90 minutes locked in a room with hot women.image

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Potential races this week-end...

23/03/13 Larne Half                    No Pain?
    24/03/13 Brentwood Half             Teknik

It's forecast light snow or sleet here, and -4C in the wind chill for Sunday. image

• Options

Well what a dismal afternoon, glad I spent the day in bed

Fiona I can picture your run, the scenery is stunning there I am envious, I rememebr the 20 miler we did on the sunday started really early (WELL FOR ME )about 6.45 to avoid the heat, the girl I was sharing with set our alarms for 5 had our porridge then went back to sleep for 1.5 hours 

HM4 4 weeks completed good effort image

Stewart and SM6 it is still very early days since your weekend races it does take 10 days at least to properly recover from a half, even longer for some , 

NP I saw on the forecast how bad you have the snow along with up north, all we get down south is continual rain, flooding everywhere,image we haven't had ANY snow all winter, just rain rain rain and wind

Tek good luck for sunday, is it a PB course ?

Well I am treating myself to an extra rest day and skipping today's scheduled 5 recovery,I am feeling really tired this week,last night was a real struggle at work, looking back over this campaign apart from todays CBA I have missed just 3 sessions, that week I had the sick bug, it has been a crap winter for training for all of us and I am really really looking forward to the taper.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NN enjoy the day off.  Yes it's a PB course (in the sense that it's the only one I've "raced"), but conditions are going to be difficult, methinks...was hoping to take a massive chunk off the 1:43 set 3 years ago..

• Options

Blimey Tek easy PB for you then image even if the weather is bad, under 1.38 surely ?

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Dreadfull conditions outside, Think I will stay inside tonight and head out tomorow (wimp) image

Tek nice recovery, good luck for sunday

NP and SM6 nice swim earlier
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Fiona,

It's not too bad.  You just need to do as many as you can in 1 go.

Tek,

Will do.

MG,

Don't blame you.  I've checked the forecast for the weekend and have already decided not going for a run so will do some yoga instead.

-----------

Well done on everyone's training.  Hope the weather is kinder than you expect for any races this weekend.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Good luck Tek and NP, hope our shitty climate is kind to you both.

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    My half marathon has been called off, so I will run my hill tomorrow and do 20 on Sunday, Jantastic 100% is now finished due to no race image
  • Options
    NP your hill run must be pretty snowy???