Options

2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Options
    SM6 well done on the 18, I am only doing a two week taper as well my

last long run is planned for fri or sat this week, time will tell after the 14 th if it was right or wrong I guess

NN well done on your run yesterday, I think you would be fine cutting into the 3 weeks of your taper but I am know expert image

Tek good little run today hope your left foot improves quickly

AGF nice shuffling earlier
  • Options

AGF - Cheers, legs are a bit tender now! Still got last weeks farcical half in them, as well as yesterdays race.

MG - I think I'll do 20 on Sat/Sun and finish up with 5 on Monday, so a 13 day taper. But I expect to do very very little running in the 2 weeks leading up. The taper mileage on the P&D plans looks mental to me. I really only expect to run 25-30 miles in the 13 days leading in. Probably do a lot of swimming though.

• Options
    SM6 was thinking the same sort of thing myself with plenty of crossing training and a few runs to keep ticking over. Looking for 20 -22 as the final LR
  • Options
    Owe yes, nearly forgot, hour of cross training and intervals on treadmill for me tonight
  • Options

After reading the advice I think I shall probably go with the 21 ...SLOWLY on Tues as this week is mad shift wise, she ( matron ) kindly stuck me on an extra night shift tomorrow to completely bugger my week up..plus I have the eldest son and grandsons staying the rest of this week till Fri...oh for Christ sake whose idea was this ruddy P&D schedule image

Went for swim today not much just half mile but nice stretch out.

AGF I am truly gutted for you you were running so well I do hope things improve soon

STEWARTC  re the MP  run I would do it P&D style as part of the 16 , I did 17 with 14...you could do 16 with 10/12, dont do it instead of the speed work do it as well just to make it real hard core..THEN next time round you can do this fricking schedule image

SM6 have you run a 20 just 2 weeks out before in marathon training ? mind you mine has a 17....yes this is a tough schedule to follow, thinking back to the beginning of December I was so excited and couldn't wait for it to start...BUT NOW !!! after 15 weeks and  over 850  miles run over the coldest windiest crappiest winter in 2000 years I really have had enough only and if I dont get a PB I will actually kill someone 

MG1 how can you nearly forget intervals ?? nice days training well done

TEK I take it you were in the purple top ? well done again image

Intervals tomorrow  image 800s ?  no far too easy ,1k reps ? no still too easy ..dont be silly image

6 x 1200s  !! and done as part of an 11 miler...oh what fun image

• Options
    8 miles along the old railway this morning image

Walk around Buttermere this afternoon. image

Finished having pushing card in snow ... !
  • Options

OH all that snow and you are still smiling image

• Options

That should have read "Finished up having fun pushing cars in snow" (B!**dy smart phones!)
    Yes still quite a bit of snow but quite pretty

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Teknik great race report, well done for not going off with your mate at the start and well done on a great PB again image saw you in the purple top on the video image The girl next to you was nice lol.

SM6 well done on your long run yesterday not long to taper.

MG1 same here for the last long run this weekend.

NN 20 on Tuesday will be ok image you have got more than 90% of all the sessions in so your in great shape.

OH well done with the run and snow, I ran, walked ,climbed my hill on Saturday and went through drifts of 4 to 6 feet deep they are now up to 12 to 15 feet deep.

Yesterday I took a day off from training I didn't swim or run after my long run on Sunday I felt crap chilled to the bone and woke yesterday feeling the same. Feeling better today and about to go out for 7 miles image
  • Options

Its still very cold but the sun is shining !!image

NP a day off will have done you good, I felt loads better after an extra rest day last Friday.

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    I know it won't hurt and have banked loads but isn't it funny how you feel even just missing a short recovery run......I also think I've got to the stage where I am ready for my taper the weather just isn't helping. I will feel a lot better after I have been for my runimage
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Tek - not as good a finish as FRANKFURT where you nearly took off image Well done again mate, a well deserved obliteration of your pb image

First running day of taper for me NP ... 7 recovery w 8x100 strides ; i feel like a right lazy fecker already image

What's the general rules on quality during a taper ? I assume it's ok to chuck some MP miles into the remaining long runs ( 17 + 13 )  ? or do you run them MP +10/+20 ? or just slow ?

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

NP - hope whatever it was is out of your system mate and i'm sure you can afford a little break.

We've been very lucky round here, hardly any snow to speak of but bloody cold. I know how you feel as i think i'm ready for taper. I feel ok but the weather is just a right downer.

This time last year was shorts and T-Shirt weather !!!

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭
    NP hope the run does the trick and you feel better.

NN here they are saying not to run that far so close to the marathon. I got the scientific explanation and it makes sense. My last long run is normally a 24 but I'll go for a 17/18 instead.

HM4 well done on the press ups.

AGF and OH I hope you both make a speedy recovery.

Teknik and Stuart well done on the PBs!!

Stewart you'll be pleased to be tapering.

Mace MP in the long runs is good for the last few weeks.

Jason well done toughing out the 10k. Sounds horrid!

Doing a track session of 8 400's the day after a 2:33 20 miler not the best idea and yesterday my hip was really unhappy. Managed to hobble round 5m in the morning then skipped the hill session in the afternoon for a 4m easy run. Have done a sunny 5m along the beach this morning and all being well should get a longer easy run this afternoon. Felt a lot better today but still not 100% so decided not to do the 5m race tomorrow as I really want to do a good last long(ish) run at the weekend and reach the VLM start line in one piece!

I hope the weather improves for everyone, it sounds dire.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stewart - I'd do as AGF says - Sat parkrun as the "tune-up" race, Sun do the LR 16 with X @MP.  I'd also be tempted to drop the V.02 the following week and replace it with a MP run.

Stuart well done for slogging out the 18.3m

HM I sooo hope soimage

MG well done on the cross training and treddie intervals

NN yes that's me in the purple vest.  Nice swimming.  That intervals session sounds brutal.  In fact I know it's brutal.  Good luck!

OH well done on the 8 miles

NP I don't know what she was doing - if you see the start line she's right up there with the elites. Not fun letting 160 people go past you!  That Saturday run sounded hardcore.  Enjoy the 7 milerimage

Mace LOLimage.  Nice 7m plus strides.  Yes I think it's ok to add some MP miles, just don't go nuts.

Fiona that sounds like a really busy week. Hope the hip is easier this afternoon.

AGF - how are the aches and pains?

---

6.7m this morning, a bit on my own then through the woods/mud/snow with the club.  Left foot still sore but better than yesterday.

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Mace keep the quality in your runs just reduce the miles lol at the lazy fecker.

NN hope the sun comes out and stays out.

Fiona great running while you have been away in the sun, I hope you bring it back with youimage

Teknik hope the left foot is ok well done on the run in the woods.

Not to impressed with my run this morning still not feeling 100% so will run again later but all slow until Thursday when I will try some more speed work.
  • Options

Help fiona why ?? I think its the only time I will get to fit it in now image

Very impressive pace for your 20 miler Fiona image I went full blast at all the sessions there and actually came back from that trip knackered lol, so yes skip that race !!

NP be sensible hope you feel better soon

Mace have a good taper, no snow here either....all winter !!

Tek sounds like a couple easy days and that foot will be fine still VERY early since your race

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Second run of the day done in and around MP. Felt a little betterimage

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭
    NN they were saying the endurance engine is built and does not need further work. Best thing is a slightly shorter MP run but if too long it'll impact on the day itself. Having said that you have stuck to your plan for months so do what you believe is right for you. I have always done the same thing so for me a change will be interesting.

Well done on the 2nd run NP, hope you feel better tomorrow.

They were just saying tonight to reduce the long run 3 weeks out but otherwise don't cut other miles til 10 days from the marathon. Interesting to hear what the experts think!

• Options
    General cross training for me tonight, pavements are starting to clear of ice so should be okay for fri or sat image

Tek well done on 6.7

NP glad the second run went better

Fiona good all round running out there , make the most of the sun! Interested to hear what the science is and advice on long run distance 2 weeks out ?

OH well down on the railway run
  • Options

Fiona, after reading your first reply I did a bit of googling (as you do ) and the obvious answer is without doubt DO NOT do the 20 on the Tues, for the exact reasons you say in your second post. I have 4 x 20s a 21 and a 22 plus a couple of 18s under my belt, so unless I can get it done before Sunday (UNLIKLEY) maybe I should just DO  17-18 on Tues , to be honest I am feeling pretty tired most of the time now , I have and missed less than a handful of sessions 2 of which were only recovery runs anyway and with several night-shifts still to go in the next 3 weeks I think its time to cut mileage (I keep forgetting I am not as young as I used to be ....or would like to be lol )and concentrate on the quality stuff,

Fiona when is your last 20 ?

MG1 even the P&D plan only has a 16/17 LR 2 weeks out, (which I wont be doing as for me that would be too much , I will do 14/15 )so definitely no more than that , what were you thinking of doing ?

• Options
    NN in the last 7 weeks have got 4 x 20s , 1x 22 and a 1x23 , plus a 13 from last weekend , so similar to you, so was thinking of one last 20 ??
  • Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭
    NN my last 20 was Saturday just past! I'll be doing a 17 this weekend, a 14 two weeks out and I usually do an 8 the week before but may push it to a 10 this time. Your training has been great and you've done more than enough of the longer stuff!

MG1 I have been told 2 weeks out a 14 is plenty with MP in it.

• Options

Oh I feel better knowing that Fiona, so you have done your last 20 4 weeks out ? is that right ? mmm I did 18.5 not that much in it really I guess..

Decision made..if I cant do it before Sunday I wont do it..scarey !!

MG1 seriously you have done plenty,

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    Nurse - 6 @ 20+ and you're worrying about fitting another in !?

Put your feet up I say, you're nicely bakedimage
  • Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭
    Indeed, last 20 done and now to concentrate on quality over quantity! 18.5 or 20, nothing in it at all especially when you've done the 20's!

Last run day here then back to the freezer tomorrow. F
  • Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

SM6, nice 18 the other day, interesting you're only going for a two week taper, are you just trying something new

MG1, It will be interesting to here how a shorten taper period differs from a three week one

NN, awesome interval session there, you've got lots of miles in the bank so there is no need to panic

OH, good running and looks like a tough cross training session pushing those cars, hope the white stuff clears soon

NP, nice double and I'm glad you're feeling better

Mace, nice 7 with strides enjoy the taper

Tek, hope the foot is feeling better today, good run on mixed terrain

Fiona, you've been doing a lot of running this week, hope your hip is feeling better, enjoy your last run in the sun, hopefully the temperatures here will pickup on your return, 

Thanks for the advice as always it is greatly appericated, I'm going to do as suguested for my long run this week I'll do 16 with 12@MP.

JS run last night went with the 6 mile group in a little over an hour with a nice hill about 2 miles in, interval session tonight 5*600's should be fun...

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

HM what's the press-up plan this week?

NP nice MP run

MG well done on the cross-training...I agree with NN, that's a good LR list. Taper now...

Fiona that week went so quickly!

mace - starting to chew your arm off yet?

Stewart nice JS run. Good luck with the intervals.

Anyone heard from Kaz?

---

I was worried about today's run as the foot still hurts, and I'm still tired from Sunday.  1m w/up then 9m at 83%max.  Turned out to be 8.00mm, HR rock solid in the last few miles, so happy enough.image

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Fiona - it'll be a shock to the system coming back to this ... my parents have just come back from a week in Egypt and they've been holed up in front of the fire for 2 days image

Stewart - good luck with the MP run, you'll be fine

Tek - LOL not yet !! I'm expecting to be totally limbless around next Thursday/Friday image Great run to HR, GO FOR IT !!!

12 progressive (ish)  finishing with around 5 @ MP .... i was working a bit to hit MP for a mile or so ( maybe cos of Sunday's 20 ) but settled in nicely after and was slowing myself up to hit it at the end image