Options

2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Mace, Just finished the first week myself and the self doubt is kicking in big style, enjoy your run today

NP, hope the run has gone well today

AK, listen to the guys here rest up recover and you'll be all the stronger for it

Tek, another great run from you and the totals for the month are awesome and two new PB's, well done image

Fiona, great run from you today and like you I've got first defence at the ready, my house is full of the sniffles this weekend image, awesome stats from you too

MG1, nice run today, I may have to be restrained later with all the Easter eggs around here

Today's LSR was a MP pace test, with the last 12@MP, the legs were still feeling yesterday's run, happy enough with outcome but it looks like my HRM is faulty, time to phone Garmin

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/291117975

Stats: 16.11miles 2:33:20 @9:31mm avgHR who knows image

Monthly Stats: 216miles 36:45:51 @10:13mm avgHR 153 including a 5k and HM PB image

• Options

I'm joining this thread as a novice really. Have been training since last September for April's Greater Manchester Marathon. it will be my first marathon and at age of 46 this is no mean feat. i've endured hamstring injuries (both legs), achilles aches/ pains, sore ankles and today, after yesterday's 12 miler (2 hours 3 mins) , a very sore knee which seemed to lock up at 10 miles. Anyway I'm determined to carry on for the next couple of weeks, maxing at 16 miles long run in two weeks time and then just doing 2 weeks of short runs of 3 or 6 miles before the big day on the 28th. 

Have to admit though that I am worried about this knee especially with only a few weeks left and only having reached 12 miles as my longest run. 

I'd really welcome any advice anyone has on here to help with my final prep.

• Options

Stewart - Nice run, although even Tek would blush at that HR driftimage

MG - Nice wee run, good idea on the chocolate front. My willpower is just as bad...

fiona - Nice total for the month

Tek - Good LSR today, and a mighty total for the month

NP - Enjoy the final long run tomorrow

Adam - I'd say its pretty damn impressive you knocked out 22 while not over a chest infection. Just rest up for the big day.

---------

Didn't run last night. I'd like to say it was me protecting my knee, and not just me being lazy as hellimage

Went for a run with with my brother this afternoon, bad idea. A 7.3 mile loop that usually takes me 68 minutes on my own, ended up easily under the hour. Certainly won't be calling that an 'easy' run!

Knee felt fine, as I expected. There is still pain there, but not while running.

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Teknik great running another 20 into the bank and nice stats for the month.

Fiona thats a great session and looks a lot like what I have planned for next weekend as for the suplements I'm aleady taking all those plus zinc, must get some first defence and hand wipes for my desk at workimage. Great stats for the month and keep using the foam roller not long nowimage

MG1 DONT GIVE IN TO THE EGGimage

SC well done on the long run with MP, nice stats for the month and two great PB's imageimage

Well last 22 mile run in the bank image bit windy but very happy with the whole image fuelled this as per the marathon with 3 gels and water. Over the last number of weeks I have not used gels on my long run.

Simon your a young man I'm 52 this yearimage to me you look short on long runs, how many times aweek are you running? and how many miles a week? cod liver oil, glucosamine & general multivitamins would help with the joints also lots of stretching and using a foam roller would help 20 to 30 every day. If I was you I would do a run walk marathon walking for 3 to 5 mins every half hour as this would help to get you round.

Stats for the month:

Runs 38, time 40:57:40, avg pace 7:26, total miles 330.81image

Swims 8, Time 5:34, total miles 8. image

• Options

No Pain - thanks, I feel younger already!

I'm running 4 times p/w - typically 2 x6m, 1x 3 or 4m and then the longer run at w/end. I've only been back running since early feb after 5 wks of physio on a torn hamstring. so far I've managed a couple of 10m, one 12m and plan a couple more. My aim is to just finish the marathon with a mix of run/ walk in a time of 4.30. Do plenty of stretching pre/ post run, use foam roller and also the dreaded ice cold shower post run (just in case).

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    I'm the forums cold bath manimage recommend it to everyone, I think your been sensible about just getting round with a mix of run/walk. Is this your first marathon? Just enjoy it if it is and it's a PB no matter what and next time you will have a target to beat image
  • Options

NP Its great to get that last long run done isn't it ? you are the forums cold bath man and at 52 the forums old man..image I am allowed to say that as I a the forums old lady image

TEK when is your marathon ?

FIONA nice run, but I am not surprised at the reaction to your usual 24 miles, it will be interesting to see just what difference this drop in miles for the last long run makes to your marathon

MG1 Easter has come at the wrong time if we have no willpower , just as we are tapering and cutting back on high miles..nice recovery run

STEWARTC nice MP run well done is it a new HRM ? if not maybe its just the battery or it needs a clean

SF welcome NP has offered some good advice, hope the knee improves for you

nice easy recovery run for me today

March stats

RUNS   35 ,      MILES 250.6,       TIME 37 HOURS , AVE PACE 8.50

course pb over half marathon and 1st v50

10k pb in training  image

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    NN we might be in our 50's but god we can give the young guns a run for there moneyimage Great stats for the month image

Ok who is for Chandos for a few beers after London?
  • Options

NP - yes this is my first marathon and I'm nervously looking forward to it!!

Thanks for your feedback, really appreciate it

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Simon stick around you will learn a lot on this forum.
  • Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

I'll be there NP! image It would be great if all the VLMers here can meet at last!

I remember seeing a despondant Spoons there last year; any word if he'll be there again?

F

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Nice recovery run MG1, I will cut back my chocolate but can't keep away altogether. image I'll try for one a day.

Stewart fantastic run, that must be a real confidence boost so close to Lochaber!

Welcome Simon. image I'll be 45 in May so we are a bunch of geriatrics here! image

Good that the knee held up Stuart and a brisk run!

Another fantastic 22 NP. So will your long run next week be the half at MP? What will your total distance be?

NN it will be interesting to see what effect the last 2 'long' runs will have. image I am a creature of habit but I guess if I don't try something different I'll never adapt. Even though it could go the wrong way!!

Some nice stats coming through. That's you over 1,000 miles for the year already NP!image

F

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

HM thanksimage

Fiona well done on the MP run, and the roller.  Nice pace for the month! Yep, I've got 2 more long runs...

MG well done on the slow + intervals.  Lol at the chocolate temptation.

Stewart nice MP run.  Well done on the month's stats.  If you've changed the battery, then I guess it must be the device. 

Welcome Simon

Stuart LOLimage.  Well done on the run, glad the knee seems ok.

NP great long run again. Awesome month's work.image

NN super stats - great month!image. I'm at Milton Keynes on 6 May - 2 weeks after VLM.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Spring Race update

07/04/13 Paddock Wood HM       Johnas
    07/04/13 Paris                          Kaz, Emmy
    13/04/13 Hackney Marshes HM  Teknik
    14/04/13 Brighton                     Mace
    14/04/13 Lochaber                    Stuart M, Stewart C
    14/04/13 Rotterdam                  MG
    21/04/13 Antwerp                    Emmy
    21/04/13 VLM                          No Pain, Jason D, Night Nurse, Fiona C, Johnas, Adam K.
    28/04/13 Manchester                Spark, Simon Fawke
    28/04/13 Loop van Vlaanderen   Emmy
    05/05/13
    06/05/13 Milton Keynes             Teknik
    12/05/13 Cape Wrath                OH

• Options
    Stewart c well done on your months training and today run, not long to go now!

SM6 nice run, sounds like the knees was good! Looks like your brother pushed you alongimage

NP another great month of training and a good long run to finish the month on, I guess you must be pretty confident ahead of VLM?

NN super month for you as well, especailly taking the amount of nights you have worked!

Hopefully in two weeks time I will be drinking plenty Dutch beer and eating lots of fries and mayonnaise with a smile on my face image
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

NP - as a father of 3 boys myself i think i'd be exactly the same with a grand-daughter image Well done on today's test run and fantastic stats as ever for the old boy image

Tek, Fiona,Nurse,Stewart - again, great stats and pb's galore, well done all

MG - not had any eggs myself but have nicked a smidgen off each of my boys when they weren't looking image 

Stuart - my Patello Femural syndrome exhibited no signs of pain when running either ...

2 weeks out from Brighton today and was due to do 17 but chopped it to 16 having read various bits on the RW forums. Very conscious of the warnings about not going OTT during taper. The plan was to do a few MP miles but having done a few on Weds as part of a progressive 12 and then a few more Friday with some threshold miles i decided that was probably enough for the week and went for around MP + 60 for the whole run.

16M @ 8:20 @ 71% average and just touching 75% in the last couple of miles. Pretty happy with that image

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

jason's a bit quiet ? .... how work isn't scuppering the training

• Options

MG - If your anything like me, I doubt you'll be able to face beer that night! The chips and mayo will be much more appealingimage

Mace - I had a wee google of Patello Femural syndrome and it does sound a bit similar to what I've got going on. You mentioned you had it for years, how regularly was it occuring? This is only the 3rd time I've had it in about 4/5 years, and it cleared up in around a week before.

Impressive run today!

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Mace- yep- 3 days missed cos of work this week image

Ran the undulating Teifi 10 today with an Arctic wind yet again! Not as fast as I would have hoped, but 63.01 was enough to take the Welsh Athletics bronze medal for M45 and our team won the team silver image

Not sure T the moment about Vlm....seriously considering skipping it, saving on recovery time and working at improving my speed over the next few months....

Just over 20m in total today and 324m for the month

Catch up soon, guys image
  • Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Getting close for you too then Teknik - I see you've left my birthday as a blank on the race diary! image 

MG1 I'll be interested to hear about Rotterdam. For me post race means champagne, always seem to manage that! image

mace very wise. I've never done more than 14 two weeks out although most folks seem to do more.

jason, that would be a shame if you didn't do VLM. You are still running very fast although I know it's all relative. image Well done on the medal, impressive! imageimage

F

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Thanks peeps image

Fiona think spoons is doing Brighton marathon 14th April but on Fetch he has recorded lots of swimming and bike work. Looks like it could be just me you, your sister and my OH unless NN is coming along.

Jason what ever you decide your still on for a super time well done on the Bronze medal mate imageimage

Mace are you doing the P&D plan? Always thought it was a bit ott with to much over the taper weeks. What. Age are your sons?

Fiona we have another tradition in London a full English breakfast in a pub the day after the marathon this is not far from horse guards.
  • Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

That sounds ideal NP image I did not book the breakfasts at Horseguards as they are quite pricey and I miss out on Sundays anyway! It is nice to try different places.

NN hope we can catch up with you, it would be great to meet up! image

F

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    We are staying at the Grovner hotel again image which is handy to the finish image
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    That would be a shame Jason but you know what's best for you.

Stuart - mine was an ongoing thing really, didn't notice it most of the time but I'd get a pain when kicking a football if I didn't catch it right, and certain other things I did gave me a brief pain/discomfort. It's to do with knee cap tracking .

NP - twins are 11, youngest is 9.

I was thinking the same NP to do with taper and yes I'm doing P&D 70mile plan. Last 2 weeks are 43 and what looks a pretty big 28 !!! I was thinking maybe 35-40 and closer to 20 final week. What would you do ? What do the rest of you seasoned campaigners tend to do in the last couple of weeks ?
  • Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Last time I did 45 miles and 23 miles. Mine are 33 30 and 26 this year, god that made me feel old lol.
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    What's the reasoning for changing to those totals ?
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    ... And how many runs a week for those totals ?
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    80, 62, 40. Get a grip, guys

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Runs- 9, 8 and 7 image
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    It's a taper, not retirement! image