Options

Yorkshire marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    Thrilled to have a local marathon. Had the dilemma of could I manage 2 in a year as I am also running the Marathon of the North in April but had to make quick decision. Decided to go for it image Ran the Manchester mara last year. V challenging! Good luck with training everyone. Glad there is already an active thread image
  • Options
    Lily you know I will be on here right up to race day. Now just got to decide where to stay for the race. Can't decide whether to stay in centre or in a hotel we have used before outside York (Aldwark Manor) and then travel in on day - would be nice and less stressful but would rely on Park and Ride running that early in morning
  • Options
    Hi Bearsted plodder,travel lodge on Piccadilly or Hotel 53 about 1.5ml from the start, there are also guest houses on heslington lane which is nr the start. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    Can't believe it has sold out in 3 days. They are now looking to up the numbers to 6000 ! I think there will be plenty of support on the day for sure.
  • Options
    Also the travel lodge on hull road, very nr, these hotels aren't as nice as Aldwark but in the city centre and close to the start.
  • Options
    NykieNykie ✭✭✭
    The park and rides only start at 9:30 on a Sunday but I'm hoping (and assuming) that they'll put on extra ones - I'm going to volunteer to marshall.
  • Options
    NykieNykie ✭✭✭
    They have posted on Facebook that there are still places through charities as well.
  • Options

I can recommend a lovely guest house on the outskirts of the city centre, see link http://www.airdenhouse.co.uk/

• Options

Cheers everyone on thre hotel situation. I have looked at Booking.com tonight and can see alot of choice. What I have to decide is how far am I prepared to walk to start. I know York quite well but am unsure how far the start is away from say Minster so I can get a grip on distance to start alot of hotels are. I have also seen a couple of nice looking hotels at University side of city which look OK.

• Options
    it's about 1.5ml from the minster, if the start is at the top of university lane, which I think it is.
  • Options

I'm in image 1st timer and so looking forward to it.

• Options
    There was a mad rush last week for travelodge places in York early ones got in at ??27 but it went through the roof looking forward to it
  • Options
    Well that's that - Hotel booked staying the Friday,Saturday and Sunday at the York House - all the reviews are that it is a very very good B&B just over a mile from start and o the road out of York the race takes.
  • Options

Glad you have accomodation sorted BP, so importantimage

Good for you marshalling Nykie, I always appreciate marshall support when running and I hope I can do the same one day.

Steve 1881 well done. Someone said to me you will only run one 1st marathon so enjoy! I took that advice and despite the weather loved every minute of Manchester last year. I did my best to take it all in the supporters, views, atmosphere etc It was a bit heads down to cope witht he wind and rain but I was lifted every time someone made a kind comment or clapped image

• Options
    I totally agree with the last comment about kind words from supporters. I did my first marathon in Dublin last year, and without the support and encouragement from the crowds over the last few painful miles, I doubt I would have made it! I wrote my name on my number - it was great to hear them shout to me personally. I said 'never again' but I've signed up for this one! Supporters and marshals - you are fantastic!
  • Options
    Born again - could it agree more and especially for those at Manchester last year, chill factor of -2oC and rain,sleet and hailstones for most of time - they were out in there masses to support totally unbelievable
  • Options
    I'm in ..... Not run a marathon since 2008.. In fact not run much either since then.

3.46 in 2008. Ran 10k today 1 hr 56 sec. Lots of training to do. Would love to do do sub 4 hr

Anyone north Leeds interested in joining up for long weekend run nearer the time, let me know
  • Options
    I downloaded the Runners World training schedule, did it over 30 weeks instead of 16, which allowed time out for holidays, other races, etc, and generally just taking it steady. Worked for me.
  • Options

I think I may have to start training for this early this time as away Island hopping in Greece for 3 weeks, home for 4 weeks then the Marathon.

Looking forward to it once get Barcelona out the wayimage.

• Options

I was going to leave entering this for a few weeks but glad I didn't now - entered last Thursday.

Not sorted a hotel out yet - plenty of them in York and the surrounding area.  I may travel on the day if prices go through the roof.

• Options

Andrew Mitchell 14 I think prices have gone through the roof, i'd advise booking sooner rather than later, I booked a travelodge near the start at £27 a night, now heard its £117 a night!!!!  

Hi EKGO  here we go again lol

I am sure that many of the first timers will love it , York is a beautiful city and also the rural parts means plenty of lovely scenery to take in

I ran Chester last year and you started off running through the city and then it went out into the countryside, into Wales back into England and it felt very rural but there were so many other runners around you it kind of kept you going and if you are struggling you will be suprised how many people do tap you on the back and say keep going, you're doing great

Name on the t.shirt definitely helps, front and back so people can give your name a shout

I am so excited about this one, not that i'm wishing the year away but roll on October lol 

• Options

well done to all those who got inimage we all had to make a quick decision! I thought I would see how I felt after M of the N in April but glad I didn't! Looking forward to a local marathon and some of my friends have said they will come and supportimage Hope everyone ok in this bad weather, I actually love running on snowimage

• Options

I thought they were releasing a 1000 more places but not sure when. I do not mind running in the snow if off road or on road with Yaktrax.

• Options

I missed out on the entry but have registered for the waiting list. But don't know if they will add more places or just replace people who drop out - which will generally mean I won't find out till close to race day!!

• Options
    As suspected I couldn't find any decent deals in/around York so our plans have changed.

It's our wedding anniversary that weekend & my original plan was to have a weekend in York. My (non running) wife has now graciously agreed to postpone celebrations until post race so we're driving through to York on the morning of the race. We've then booked two nights post race in a nice hotel near Whitby. Got a bargain using Tesco Clubcard points image
  • Options

Just a thought, perhaps the university might offer some rooms?

Obviously quite unlikely as it will be quite near a new year, but when I was at uni there I remember that non-students were able to use certain room. Might just have been out of term time of course. 

• Options
    Wow Andrew, your wife is very understanding! Be sure to try The Magpie in Whitby for fish n chips - best in Yorkshire!
  • Options
    Never mind the magpie, go to trenches !!!
  • Options

Been to both The Magpie & Trenchers over the years - both are excellent but the Magpie is my favourite.  Sounds like an ideal post marathon recovery image