Options

Yorkshire marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Is the marathon going to have pace runners anyone know where i can get more info? so happy i managed to get a place, done the 10km many times and it can be chaotic traffic so hope things are managed ok. Generally speaking from leeds, hull and york the organisation and safety apects have been superb. looking forward to it

• Options
    Yes I read that there are going to be pacers....

The Yorkshire Marathon will take place on Sunday 20 October and will take runners on a scenic route through the major city landmarks and into surrounding countryside and villages around the Vale of York. Runner's World will be pacing the event, with 7-minute mile, 8-minute mile, 9-minute mile, 10-minute mile and 11-minute mile pacers to help you reach your marathon PB.
  • Options

How is everyone? My thoughts are turning to York as that is my next marathon! I ran the Marathon of the North last Sunday and have a bit of the post marathon blues.........it was tough and for various reasons not my best run. I have learnt a lot and hope for better things in York....Ran for the first time today, which felt good, my daughter and I are training for the Leeds 10k in July. I am thinking about what plan I will follow for York. Would love to get this thread active again image am missing my M of the N threadimage.......

• Options

Now then.

I'm not running this (got Berlin 3 weeks before) but I have volunteered to marshall.  Guessing training plans will strat kicking in in about 6 weeks?

• Options

that's great Rob, good for you marshalling, it was the marshalls that helped get me round in Sunderland. Partic the one who ran with me through Roker Park! Good luck with Berlinimage

• Options

Hi Lets get this party started!!!

I completed Manachester last week, great event, support and atmosphere I managed a PB and did 3.55, well chuffed. It was hard with a couple of lapses of doubt would I do it. So I can't think of mara training again but I'll keep up the base miles before July.

I'm keeping busy three 10k's this month, the Cross Bay Challenge in June, then it's a local half in September (Major Stone) then GNR for the second time.

Then bring on York in October.

Happy running

• Options

Where's local skd?

• Options

Brilliant pb skd14image I ran manchester last year. despite raining all the time I found it "easier" than Sunderland and the support fantastic. I gather the route changed this time and missed out Dunham Massey. Good luck with your 10ks and halves. I tried to enter the GNR once but no luck. Must try again sometime. I ran  Tatton half last year which was great and really well organised. Off for a walk now......

• Options

This will be my first marathon too.  Thinking about it makes me feel a bit nervous already!

• Options

Hills you'll be fine image I really enjoyed my first mara in Manchester last year but Sunderland last week much harder! So I am hoping for better things in my local mara York image have you got a good plan to follow? Running a marathon is an amazing achievement image

• Options

WATH - first marathon, get a training plan and you'll do it, be warned it's addictive, the day will be magic, keep positive and healthy.

DLR - I live near Hull, so local is East Yorkshire, the Major Stone half marathon is promoted by East Hull Harriers, the race starts at Lockington village hall, near Driffield, details on their website,last two years less than 200 finishers, small but well done, so it's quite contrast to GNR a week later running amid 1000's.

• Options

Lily thanks,

Manchester was as flat as advertised, there was a couple of inclines. The revised route worked for me there was one loop on the Salford Quays, taking to about 4 miles. I found the second longer loop great for support on both sides. The only quiet bit was near Carrington but the crowds really helped get me back to Old Trafford, always helps people shouting your name.

I did have a thought about Sunderland instead but Manchester shaded it as a place for weekend with the OT. I'm from Bolton so had a chance to catch up with friends on Sunday.

• Options

DLR - all the best for Berlin, what your aiming for and good on yer marshalling, I've helped out at the Hull 10k a couple of times, I really enjoyed the experience.

Lily - up and on, what type of training plan are you thinking of for York?

I followed the Manchester intermediate plan, I'd never run 5 days a week before but I did little else. I will probably try a plan to run 3 days a week plus a day cross training and one cycling.

• Options

All being well I want to go under 3:15, but I've had most of August - March injured so it needs everything to run smoothly (including me).  Looking forward to training though - starts in 2 weeks - all typd up this weekend, based on P&D.

I think I looked at Driffield as the timing and distance was good for me but I need pancake flat as want to use the race as a marker for Berlin pacing - which might mean Blackpool or somewhere down south.

• Options

Good luck Rob, Driffield is undulating but not to much it is the Wolds not the Pennines, not pancake flat though.

• Options

skd14 Manchester support is great, even for me taking ove 5hrs, not so good at Sunderland, first half ok as shared with half, then only 700ish of us doing full mara. So most of it I ran on my own! At the finish there was only my husband and a few stewards! Tough mentally and physically. I followed the Manchester website beginners plan for both my marathons. I am contacting Julie directly this time to have a personsalised training plan. I would love to do York in 5 hours....

• Options

Lily - believe in the plan and the training, I'm sure you'll get your target, still plenty of time for those LSR's at least these should be warmer than for the last marathon training.

Quiet week here plan to do 20 miles for the week, includes parkrun and Beverley 10k plus gym and bike to/from work one day (14 miles total).

Looking forward to Beverley I've not done this for 3 years as it's always a good race, well supported with over 1000 runners, sold out in a couple of days,  great location and crowded town centre finish, plus quality tech shirt.

• Options

thanks skd14 for your encouraging wordsimage all the best for Beverley, crowds and good t shirt make a lot of difference. I found the same at the York 10ks I have done. Looking forward to Leeds 10k with my daughter in July.

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

Chester marathon is worth the money  plenty toliets   loads of drink stns   with engry drinks   race course start and finsishimage

• Options

Thanks Compo, I agree Chester is well worth it, I've done it the last 2 years but this year is time for a change that's why I entered the Yorkshire Marathon 2013, which I'm sure will rival Chester in every way.

• Options

After a great Manchester Marathon, both in PB (3:47) and organisation this year - I am looking forward massively to York. Lots of 10K running in next 3 weeks then 3 weeks off then into the schedule again. Roll on York

• Options

Congratulations BP on your pb at Manchester, that is fantastic image glad to hear organisation was better than last year! I am just getting going after the Marathon of the North. Have a 10k with my daughter in July. Probably going to have a personalised plan for York. This will be my first Autumn marathon, wonder what is like training in heat!

• Options

Lily - I did same last year with Luton Marathon in November and it was harder training in heat but on flip side the days were longer. Great to here you running 10K with your daughter and have a good one, I ran the Bristol 10K with my daughter on Sunday (her first race) and thoroughly enjoyed trotting around and encouraging her.

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

I am doing Leeds half marathon on Sunday   hoping to get below 1h30

• Options

Good luck compo - far too quick for me

• Options

I havn't got a plan together yet and am welcome to suggestions.  I've done a few halfs over the years but a full is a whole new ball game!

• Options

thanks BP, I am enjoying training with my daughter and looking forward to a supported run with closed roads which will be a first for her image, good point about the longer days when training for an autumn mara. Good luck with Leeds Compo. I did it 2 years ago and found the support and organisation excellent. Hills, I followed the beginners plan from the Manchester Marathon website and finding it convinced me that training for a marathon was possible! I have used it twice but this time am hopefully going use follow a personalised plan. Manc also has an intermediate training plan. Hopefully other people will come up with suggestions. I read the book "Running your first marathon" by Gloria Averbuch and Grete Waitz which I would recommend. Good luck!

• Options

hills - i followed the asics plan for my first marathon and used it ever since, its fool proof, just log onto the website or do a google search for it, u put in how many times a week u run, ur age, weight, when ur event is and what distance it is and it works it all out for you What distances to run what pace to run them at, u cant go wrong with it, u really cant

I did Manchester too and got my PB yay of 4hours 50 which i was well chuffed with as i'm a plodder ( not one of these whippets hahaha ) but love my marathon running ( its my favourite distance )

I am looking forward to spending the weekend in York as its been years since i came there so looking forward to doing it and hopefully having a RW meet up somewhere

• Options
    Isee)

hills - i followed the asics plan for my first marathon and used it ever since, its fool proof, just log onto the website or do a google search for it, u put in how many times a week u run, ur age, weight, when ur event is and what distance it is and it works it all out for you What distances to run what pace to run them at, u cant go wrong with it, u really cant

Medals - i'll give ASICS a go, I need something simple

Medals - i'll give the ASICS plan a look