Options

Brighton Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Evening all

were staying at my Sister-in-laws and have no internet so have not been able to check my messages up to now but have come up to Leicester for a couple of days run wise went out Saturday with Yvonne and Poohbear did 11 miles and then did 10 miles on Monday going out with Poohbear and Snowmaiden tomorrow for a 5 miler

Franz it's a challenge we like to set our selfs

• Options

well went out for a run with Poohbear and Snowmaiden today and did 5 miles once we got bad to the house i carried on and did another 5 so 10 altogether

• Options

Hi everyone,

I survived my first speedwork! I really wished me back to one of these easy 20milers instead. It was rather caotic because I do not have the right coordination between stride length, breathing and pacing when running faster. In the current cycle I have one day of speedwork/week till the Lucerne Marathon.

Furthermore, i monitored the heart rate and discovered that that max was at meager 152 bpm! I do noy yet know what to do with that info. My current resting heart rate is 43 bpm. One way would be to re-adjust the training plan but in this case I would get stuck as last year. I fear that I have to train harder and faster!

@toby: right, all challenges are set by ourselfes - I would be interested to read what is your goal behind setting these challenges. Because motivation is the key! But if you want to keep it private - no problem.

All the best and keep on running

• Options

no really secret it’s just to see if i can and like to push mush self out of my comfort zone

• Options

Franz like toby says it's a challenge, we only started last year by chance as all the races we wanted to do were all on consecutive Sundays so we did 3 halfs in 2 weeks last year ....this year it's 3 in 5 weeks I think, although toby is on about making it 4 in 5 weeks .....while toby may run at his top end I'm afraid to say that I do sometimes take the foot off the accelerator when I find the going tough probably why I've not cracked the 2 hour barrier more often ....did once, and the race was void anyway as wrong distance was recorded making course longer!!! Oh well ...

Off for my last long run this afternoon 11 miles gonna do the same route as last Saturday ..next week it's only a 45 min run then week after its my sub 2 hour run ...although I may do a little longish run mid week say 8 miles then start taper for Bristol half .although the interval runs stay at same intensity

• Options

Thanks yvonne for your answer. I understand that the races are not necessarely run to get a new PB. For me it sounds like I call it "social races" - running a race with friends or just "running with the crowd". This can be a very strong motivation. In any case, I wish you all the best for your sub-2 race! Sub-2 and sub-4 for the whole are milestones for each runner.

I have to admit that my motivation is more macho type. I run races (a) to have them on my log like the Paris Marathon, the Rivera Classic or other scenic races, (b) to run fast races like the Vienna Indoor Marathon or (c) to run it as tune-up races for (a) and (b). Furthermore, I am addicted to the "runner´s high" I regularely get around Mile 8. There is no place where things are easier than after Mile 8!

• Options

11 miles for me today with last 20 mins being run at half marathon pace ,i did the half marathon pace in the middle part so my splits were 9.53...9.30...9.22....9.21....9.05 (started this mile on a trail with stones!!)..8.50...8.57 (i was on for a 8.50 again until the road ran out and the stones started again) (toby will know where i mean)...9.31...9.30...9.33 ...9.11...total time 1.42.33

i guess im confident in breaking the 2 hour barrier properly this time with those splits as the 9.30 times were easy running ..

Im off for a proper sports massage tomorrow as my hamstrings are so tight they are stopping my running motion so i may squeal like a girl for an hour ...but i soooo need it ..cant wait ...

Franz your right i enjoy the social aspect of running ..i do all my training on my own its nice to run in a crowd...and the atmosphere is worth it to ...oh and the nice shiny medal at the end ..image...

• Options

Sports massage was lush (is it wrong to say that when elbows were used too) turns out legs tight all over not just hamstrings .....feeling a little bruised and sore this morning though ....May do a very slow recovery from massage run today and I mean slow ....hope to be able to do my interval run tomorrow ...

• Options

Morning all

well back home again now and have internet again run wise this week went up to Leicester and went out with Poohbear and Snowmaiden they did 5 miles bur i felt i need a little more and did 10 then on Thursday did another 9 miles around Chew valley reservoir and on Saturday did just over 8 when i went with Poohbear to Bath and we ran part of the bath H/M course as i we have just signed up for it and i wanted to show her the course

• Options

Hi yvonne, how was the massage? I love massages - unfortunately I cannot afford more than two each month image

I have to admit that I love medalls as well ... and nice bib numbers ... the most beautiful of them I have framed on the walls of the cloakroom.

After three weeks above 50 miles I am really tired and I am happy that this week is for recovery. The mileage is the maximum I can tolerate at my current fitness level. The muscles and the tendond hurt in the morning so that I have troubles to get out of bed. I won´t do more than 30mi this week. Two recovery runs, one long run and one speedwork.

• Options

just a little 5 miler for me yesterday

• Options

Franz the massage sorted out alot of tight leg muscles....went for a 20 min run the following day and did an exercise dvd then found i could stretch alot further than before putting my forehead onto my knees when legs were out stretched so i think she loosened them up very well ....although they do feel a bit bruised to the touch still but are getting better...will go out for a longer run later and see how they feel then and after ...

• Options

Well starting to get my runs back up, only at 3,4, or 5 miles at the moment but trying to get back to five runs a week, then will start uppping the mileage again over the next month, back to 30+ miles a week, and will include heart rate training from the start of October for 6 weeks to build base back again, then start marathon training from mid to late november not fully decided yet as first marathon for next year is 15th March.

take care everyone

• Options

Hi yvonne, ...the forehead on your legs ... wow, I sometimes dream of it when I do a yoga session where I am the one and only men between a dozen of godesses...

Today 7mi recovery, tomorrow speedwork 10mi including 10x400m with 90sec between. 

• Options

well just entered the Devizes H/M to get my 3 in a row so now have Cricklade on the 6th, Swindon on the 13th and Devizes on the 20th Yvonne the mad thing will be joining me in all 3 although Swindon won't be run flat out as were both running with Poohbear

• Options

Franz id love to do yoga in a class but there isnt a class close enough to me...but ive been stretching everyday to take advantage of the massage, im booked in for another massage between running bristol half and cricklade half .....also, like toby, ive entered another half, so 3 in a row for me too and bristol half in under 2 weeks time too..

Think maybe the week between 20th (after i cross the finishing line of devizes) and the following sunday i may have off running!!! Then back into it for brighton marathon training and then up the long runs ...oooohhh 20 mile training runs sounds a long, long way to run...

• Options
    FayaFaya ✭✭✭

I've injured myself image Something is up with my left knee. I've got a doctors appoinment tomorrow morning to get it checked out properly. I'm hoping it's nothing too serious and that I'll heal in time for the marathon next year.

• Options

Faya - sorry to hear you are injured but there is loads of time to train for next year so dont worry

• Options

Faya what's the outcome of your knee? Hope it's not bad news and you can rest up properly before training starts in earnest end of November time ...

I had a 45 min run today completed 5 miles ,9 min mile pace ,ran on a dirt gravel track....one happy bunny for next Sundays attempt at a bona sub 2 hour time image

• Options

Hi Everyone! Just thought I would pop by after being so quiet for a while.  My running buddy became my boyfriend and we kind of spent 3 weeks just enjoying each others company and not running.  Back on it now though and still chasing that sub 430 but at the end of the day we want to complete it together so if we need to slow the pace on the day we will.  Extra motivated as neither of us wants to let the other down and both know how much the other wants sub 430 so working hard again,.  Definitely enjoying being back to running as don't feel me without it.  Have done 2 3 mile runs this week both averaging just below 8.30 pace so speed is still there but have to slow it down and work on endurance now.  Just concentrating on getting the miles in and not worrying about the pace or distance for now though as my body needs to remember how to run regularly again.

• Options

Tillstar lovely to hear from you glad all is right with the world for you

• Options
    FayaFaya ✭✭✭

Hi all, news from the Doctor is that I've just done something to the ligament and I need to rest it for another month. If it's still iffy after that, then I'll need more tests.

I'm going to go nuts not running for another month _

• Options

Oh no Faya that doesnt sound good hope it isnt too bad and you can soon get back to running.

Just been for a steady 4 miles today first run back on a new training plan.  Averaged 10 min miles as I need to slow things down.  Felt very easy and the hardest thing was keeping it slow.  Feels so good to be back running and training hard again image

• Options

Hi all,

Just found this thread, got my place at Brighton the Day it opened, this will be my third time, aiming for a sub 3. training starting to kick in a bit now, nothing too serious yet, but making sure im well prepared for the oncoming season. 

• Options

morning all

well running wise this week did a 10 mile run on Monday then 3 on Tuesday had a rest day yesterday not shore about today it's a tossup between a gym session and another short 3 mile run don't want to do to much with the Bristol H/M this coming Sunday

Tillstarglad you’re enjoying your running again

Faya sorry to read about your injury hope it heals soon

Tom welcome to the thread

• Options

Sorry I havent been on here for a while.  Welcome to any newcomers.

Tillstar - glad you are enjoying your running again.  Always good to have someone to run with.

Faya - hope your injury heals soon.

Ran Bristol Half today and got a new pb.  Knocking just over 3 mins off my fastest time for Half - 2hrs 48mins 44secs.  Good for me anyway - not as fast as Toby though!  Lovely sliver medal in the shape of 25 as it was their 25th anniversary race.

Hope everyones running is going well.

• Options

I occasionally read some of this thread, and find it interesting how people's training are going. I am definitely going to 'do' another marathon next year, but am feeling a little regretful that I am not in the group who are going to Brighton!

I certainly need the support (and kick) to help me with my training. Since after the marathon this year, I have found it difficult to get going. Maybe I should pay more attention to you lotimage

• Options

Well I've finally cracked the 2 hour barrier image with a lot of help and encouragement from toby ...at times I made him hold my hand and drag me up some of the small in inclines from mile 10 it may have been a bit before ..

Had to stop at mile 10 for a few seconds as I did think I was gonna be sick ...think I took one to many gels and made me a little queasy....

Toby was very encouraging.... although the plan for me to jump on him when I achieved sub 2 status was thwarted by the fact I was 90% dead crossing the line and took me 5 mins to get my breath back clinging onto the nearest railing across the finish line .....I was a tad wobbly on the walk round to get my shiny new medal ...but it was worth the pain....I think image

Thanks to toby and poohbear for a lovely evening ,and a lush dinner last night and lunch today cooked by poohbear

next race cricklade half in 3 Sundays time I'm hoping for a tad quicker time as it's flat ...Toby will be leaving me to my own devices then there is a reason for this but I'll let him say

time by the way was 1:58 dead

• Options

Morning all

well as Poohbear and Yvonne have said we ran the Bristol H/M yesterday Poohbear did really well showed off by getting yet another PB have to say Yvonne really dug deep in the later stages of the race to get her sub 2hr and even speeded u in the last half a mile i think she was being kind when she said encouragement it was more like nagging

Going to have a crack at my P/B at Cricklade although i think to be honest it’s going to take some beating on my part

• Options

Yvonne - well done a fantastic result you have now broke the 2hr mark

Toby - good luck at Cricklade, I am sure you can do it