Options

Fat to Fit - Time for change? Me, too!

Comments

• Options

Oh wow so chuffed for you Matty on both counts, how amazing you must feel to have done the marathon sub 4 & to now have a fiancé, huge congrats image. Sounds like you had an excellent run & especially for a first marathon you should be ecstatic with that brilliant time!! Just goes to show how much hard work you put in image. Liking the sound of your recovery lol!

I've been on hols but still put in two 5ks & a Parkrun! Parkrun I found tough after a week of eating, drinking & late nights but I managed it in 32.57 which was my best time yet, my son did it too & beat me by 30secs, chuffed for him as he does no running except at school. 

Back home now & have a blasted cold so I think that contributed to feeling knackered, going to get rid of it & then back on the diet & start to up the mileage. 10k is looking pretty hard for me atm but onwards & upwards!

• Options

Thanks Pegasus image All in all a pretty monumental week in my life! 

Brilliant work, you've now got an official PB to beat next time! Well done to your son too, parkrun can become a bit of a family affair! Doubly good work considering you were on holiday!

I spent the week after Paris eating rubbish and drinking bubbly so running the last couple of days has been pretty tough for me too.

10k? You're already halfway there! Think positive image

• Options

Absolutely brilliant Matty, so proud of you! Really fantastic effort and wonderful news about your engagement too! Well done mate!

• Options

Cheers Stevie image

Been a while since I posted. There was a stag weekend last week. I haven't weighed myself since before paris and I am going to spend the next week trimming down so that this time next week I have a new starting point for another assault on my weight loss. Have a friends wedding in 6 weeks time, so if I can lose 2lbs a week I will be delighted!

How is everyone doing?

• Options

I haven't posted for a while due to a number of reasons; work, personal problems and a 2-week gout attack but I am hoping to start back real soon.

Brilliant read there Matty. Congratulations on the race and, more importantly, gaining a fiancée!

Will hopefully post more often from now on. Hope all are ok.

• Options

Looks like we've all had "life getting in the way" of our running! Me too & went out today for the first time in almost 2 weeks, found it hard! Is it possible to lose fitness in 2 weeks?? I had to take some walk breaks today but I'm hoping it's just a result of not running & lack of decent sleeps? 

My garmin went funny too, got sat signal but then didn't show distance or pace! It was foggy though so I'm hoping it was that?? 

On the upside I've lost the holiday pounds image

• Options

Went out again yesterday scorching day, a bit better than previous run but still not back to where I was, could be the remainder of a cold I had as def not getting enough oxygen in! I will plod on through it as it's less than 8wks until Race for life image

Fixed the watch it needed rebooting which was simple & now working fine phew! 

Hows everyone else doing? 

• Options

Do I need to crack out the virtual whip?!

You won't lose your fitness in two weeks, but you will notice its a bit tougher. The more into your running career you get the less the impact I've found. After the marathon I had a week off and felt OK after my first run. I probably should have had 2 weeks, but if I took three I'd have noticed it more. But it only takes a few sessions to get that level back.

Unlikely that the fog caused the issue, i don't THINK that affects GPS but could be wrong. When I ran last weekend at woolacombe though it thought I had climbed 300000 feet though and that was a clear day, so weird stuff happens! The old rebot trick normally works as you have found!

ell I'm feeling very much back on track now. Been sticking to my running plan since last tuesday, not missed a session. Went a bit off the rails on a second stag night friday but still hopeful of a pound or twos weight loss on friday.

• Options

Well i've just had a look back over the last few pages and i havent made a post since the beginning of March, bad me! various reasons, which ill go over in a sec,

Firstly - Well done Matty, im a bit late, but that Marathon run was fab, so pleased for you, shows all the hard runs have been worth while, will be interesting to see how you get on with your 10k's

I've had a bit of a nightmare, my ankle flared up pretty bad and i had to take some time off, it tied in with me going on holiday, so wasn't the end of the world, a week turned to 5 weeks before i could get going again, gutted is an understatement i felt like i was making solid progress, to then effectively have that month wiped up was a bit of a kick in the teeth.

Anyway the ankle calmed down, i've seen someone about it and it doesn't look like anything bad, where i had an op on the tendon it effectively became shorter - and tighter, so running alot fairly quickly made it flare up as it was trying to lengthen. 

The good news, i'm back running, i can carry on with the C25k plan and have completed the whole of week 4 and 2/3 of week 5. luckily i don't seem to have lost any running fitness (mainly as there wasn't much to loose!), the down side is that im currently having to leave 3 days between runs, so it actually takes me a week and 2 days to complete a week of the c25k. 

Anyway well done to everyone for getting their runs done, hopefully ill post a bit more frequently now

Ross

• Options

I heard that whip crack up here haha! 

Ross thats a shame about your ankle, hoping it's all cleared up for you now.

Got my mojo back thank god! Out today & started 10k app, 7k altogether, with 5min warm up/cool down & 4 x 10min runs with 1 min walk breaks. Chuffed with that & had a real buzz afterwards! That's what I needed getting back to a training plan, much more positive about the 10k now image

• Options

That doesn't sound very nice Ross. Kudos for sticking at it though! Maybe try slowing the runs down a bit to prevent aggravating the tendon, and then when you finish C25K concentrate on the speed a bit more. One step at a time and all that image

Pegasus, thats what I like to hear! Sometimes just having that structure helps, but having it on your phone (The home screen I find really helps) nags away at you just by being there!

I seem to be having a whale of a time running at the moment. The sessions I thought I would find quite tough haven't left me nearly as exhausted/sore as I thought they would. But then again, I'm stretching post-run which helps. So it looks like my training paces are about right.

I've got a busy few weeks ahead now. I've signed up for a local 5k next wednesday evening. Ordinarily I'd just do a parkrun, but due to event directing ours and wedding planning on my saturdays "off" its been difficult to squeeze one in. And I REALLY want a new 5k PB. The target I set myself for this year is to achieve a sub 23. I THINK I'm in shape to get close to/beat that which will be brilliant with 7 months of the year left!

Next sunday its the Bristol 10k. I'm running it with my missus as support/pacer in her first organised event. I'm hoping she'll get the buzz to do a half marathon in the autumn.

Then its the Bupa London 10k a couple of weeks after that which I'm going to race. Hoping for a PB of Sub 50. Don't want to set my sights any higher as it will be a busy race and quite congested.

Instead, my targeted "A" race is the Martock 10k - a local event on Fathers day. Fast flat course with only a few hundred people there. I'm hoping to achieve sub 48 there which was my 2014 target.

When I look back at how I was this time last year the improvements are massive - and its all achievable for you guys too I promise!

• Options

Well its friday so back to the weekly weight loss updates! 2lbs this week which I am pleased with as its been quite a "social" week. So I am now 4lbs over my pre-paris weight. Looking forward to getting back down there in hopefully 2 weeks!

• Options

I put on 2lbs but no shocker there as was eating & drinking what I felt like last week lol! So back on it now & using myfitnesspal again.

wk9d2 of c210k, good run & wasn't quite so hard this time, bonny sunny day too for a change.

That's quite a schedule there Matty!

• Options

You think thats bad, I've got races scheduled (But not actually booked/paid for) about once a month until next march!!

YOu are lucky you had sun. Its miserable here today. Still, sunshine forecast for tomorrow!

• Options

Good bank holiday weekend all? I indulged again but now the decks are all cleared for a good 4 weeks of tough training racing and dieting!

Saturday saw a good solid 4m Steady at about 8 - 8.10m/m which was actualy faster than I should have done it. But the route was very flat and fast so wasn't too taxing on the legs.

Sunday saw a 9 mile LSR with the missus - her longest run ever which she was very chuffed with and she only threatened to hurt me twice this time, which is an improvement!

Yesterday was very satisfying though. Another 4 miles steady but this time the first 2.5 miles were upgill and still managed to maintain an 8-8.10m/m pace. So I was delighted with that.

Hill repeats tonight which I'm not especially looking forward to but that must mean they'll be good for me!

• Options

Crikey you're really going for it & quite rightly too!! How long has it taken you to get as fit as you are now? Were you a complete beginner at the start? Well done to your other half, I'd be chuffed to bits with 9m too image

Last day of week 9 today(had a lazy wkd) 4.5m my furthest yet & got my fastest mile at 10.01min, well fast for me lol! Did it in the town & enjoyed the change of scenery, kinda nice to see other faces when out........makes a change from cows haha! 

Im now wondering if I could get a sub 30 at Parkrun hmmmmm only one way to find out I guess................

• Options

Its been 16 months since I completed the C25K image Yeah she's delighted and its good for both of us as it means we both run and I don;t leave her bored at home!

Well done on your fastest mile! Just an agonising 2 seconds from being in the 9s!! It will come, I promise! Keep up the good work and definitely try that parkrun!

• Options

Well my hill repeats were tough, but consistent. They started out at 5k pace but they averaged out at 10k pace. But for 2 minute intervals up a hill the gradient I used, I was quite happy with that.

Yesterday was a 6m steady run over one of my old faithful routes. Very consistent mile times only a few seconds apart which was nice as it was quite a mix of gradients.

Tempo run tonight which I am actually looking forward to! Which is a weird feeling!

• Options

Tempo run went really well (But too quick which might not be such a bad thing). 

We had an oversubscription of volunteers this morning which meant I got to run our parkrun today. I set a 90s PB and went sub 24 (23.58) !

Given the terrain (rough grassy parkland) and elevation profile I was delighted with that time, and it has to be worth at last a minute on a flat road course which is what I'm doing wednesday!

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/496492697

• Options

Bristol 10k today and I was running it with the missus. Her first race and the best place to support her was right next to her. A flat fast course, though there was no water at the finish funnel, which was very disappointing.

HOWEVER, she ran it in 1:02:56! Which was over 2 minutes quicker than her "Dream Time". So my coaching and motivation clearly works image

Then when we came home I went out for another 5 miles as I'm clearly a glutton for punishment! (I needed to top it up to an 11m LSR)

• Options

Well, I bit the bullet yesterday and attended the local running club's 'Club Run'. I have to say it was a bit of a strange experience. Possibly because they were holding a club championship race on the same night, as well as the AGM, but I expected a little more organisation.

I was very nervous coming to the club night as I didn't know anyone and there were lots of runners there. it was a bit daunting if I'm honest.

I walked up to someone looking official and said it was my first time here and wasn't sure what to do, and he asked if I wanted to do 5k or 5 miles. i said 5 miles and his resonse was basically "You need to see someone else"! 

So I basically hung around like a spare part for a bit until I saw a group of people starting to gather and assumed they were the 5 mile group. Then They were off and I just started running with them.

It was a route I wouldn't normally do which is good, and it stopped frequently for runners to regroup which I thought was good for a club. But I have to say I don;t think I said more than a few words to anyone. Though the run leaders were very good.

Now the ice has broken, I've bitten the bullet and paid money and joined. If nothing else, it'll save me money in races. I'll go to the club nights as regularly as I can and try to feel more comfortable/confident there.

Anyway onto other news I have a 5k race tonight, flat with PB potential and will target sub 23 - will let you all know how I get on!

• Options
    Good luck Matty. Just back from a week in Spain, managed to get out four times (3.2, 5.1, 2 and 10.2 miles) so after a quiet April feel I'm getting back in the groove again. Next race is the Jersey Half on June 8th, I'm running it with a mate who has been injured and hasn't really trained for three months so we're going to just plod round and enjoy the day (hopefully!). Rest day today and a bit of hill work tomorrow, not my fave session but a necessary evil!
  • Options

Thanks Stevie. Know what you mean about the hills, they are my least favourite too.

Did a flat 5k course last night and the only way to describe how it went it would be "smashed it"! Finished in 21:59!

I wasn't sure it was on until a rounded the last corner and saw the race clock and had about 20 seconds to go sub 22. I don't know where I found it from but I mustered a sprint finish to just duck under the 22 mark. I've never felt a runners high like it! (At least after I had a little recovery lie down!!)

Mile Splits: 6.50, 7.05, 7.23 (Forgot to stop my watch over the line)

The last mile was a real struggle. But it shows I have the pace, just not the endurance to sustain it. 

• Options

Great effort Matty, I'm afraid those sort of splits are consigned to history for me these days!

• Options

You never know, I didn't think they were possible for me ever, but now I've got my mind focussed on sub 20!

Weigh in today - delighted to be back at my Paris weight - loweset adult weight ever. So hopefully I can get some solid weeks behind me to lose some more pounds and get closer to that elusive goal!

• Options

Not been on for a bit so catching up on everyone's news.

well done Matty that's a brilliant time!! I can imagine how chuffed you are about that, fab weightloss too & congrats to your other half on the 10k time, I would be more than delighted with that!!

Great runs Stevie esp being on holiday!

I'm starting week 11 on my next run, wed run was so hot I jacked the app, slowed the pace down & completed 8.75k with a few 1min walk breaks & was chuffed with that! Only trouble is I'm now doing out & back runs as my circuit is too short now(I never thought I'd say that!) & whichever way I go its hills & more hills, good for training I know but geez it's hard! After many years of smoking my lungs are going to take a while to recover, still it's 9wks off the stinkies now yay!

Friday weigh in & I've lost 5lbs in last two weeks, another 4 & that'll be my lowest in 20yrs!! 

• Options

Thats tremendous pegasus! Bet you can't wait to reach that milestone!

You made the right move about jacking the app. Sometimes you just have to do what feels right. Its all the right direction!

• Options

Thanks & yep it'll be quite an achievement for a foody like me! 

I was trying to stick to my usual pace of 6.30 min per km but it was too hard in the heat & I was struggling & I was quite surprised when I got to over 8k & av speed was 7.30, not speedy by any means but ok for me lol! 

• Options

How's everyone doing?

weight stayed the same for me this week! All of my runs are over 8k now, still following the app & away to start wk12, I've found doing LSD means I can keep going without leaving my lungs on the road lol! One problem I'm having is the balls of my feet are burning once I hit over 8k, any ideas?? Going to try Vaseline today & see if that helps!

• Options

Hey where's everyone gone?!

weight wise same as last week but not run since Monday until today, had a knee niggle which is ok after my run today thank goodness. Foot pain still there after trying a different way of lacing shoes & hilly twin socks so I think my other option is to try different shoes. New Balance 1080v4 look good, I'm neutral & they have cushioning plus come in a wider fit so I'll give them a bash I think image

Hope everybody is running well!