Options

Fat to Fit - Time for change? Me, too!

Comments

• Options

I think I'm the only one on this thread now! Come on guys I can't be the only fatty trying to lose some poundage lol!!

pound off this week & good runs, still have the foot problem though. The NB's went back as felt awful on, got some Brooks to try out tomorrow on my run so fingers crossed. Two weeks until the RFL 10k image

• Options

I will join you Pegasus I have to lose 7st and I have started run/walking 5ks! currently at the 50min mark so I am super slow but trying really hard and determined not to give up. I have the race for life in 3 weeks so currently training 5 days a week and overhauled my diet to a more clean healthy one! image

• Options

Hey fatmumrunning well done you!! Keep going you're doing great, just watch you're not over doing it with 5 days a week image

Just done my Race for Life 10k in 62mins so well chuffed with that, beat my PB & considering I was dying after running for 1min not so long ago I'm very happy whoop!!

• Options

Well done Pegasus! It just goes to show what some determination and a balanced plan can do. You are an inspiration to others! I am very pleased for you image

fatmumrunning - welcome to the thread. Good luck with your race for life! I am just approaching the 7st weight loss total so be sure to know it IS possible! Like pegasus says don't overdo it and focus on eating healthy and building up your running slowly and surely.

Well I've been on holidays, weddings and generally quite busy so i felt a bit of a cheat posting as I hadn't actually lost any weight for a while. I'm back on track now and every week I'm breaking new ground and setting my "Lowest ever weight" which is quite nice. So time for a stat attack - more for my benefit than others I am sure!

Current Weight: 211lbs (15st 1lbs) - 96lbs lost overall

Target Weight A - Healthy BMI: 205lbs (14st 9lbs)  - 6lbs to go
    Target Weight B - Sub 14st: 195lbs (13st 13lbs) - 16lbs to go
    Target Weight C - Ideal BMI: 180lbs (12st 12lbs) - 31lbs to go

My Target Weight C is actually going to move. Once I reach target B I will be focussing on my body fat percentage. Currently my target weight is smack bang in the middle of my BMI zone as a rough estimate - you'd expect it to be somewhere in that area. The body fat percentage recommendation for "Fitness" is 17% or lower so I'm targetting 15%

Current Body Fat %: 24.8%

Target Body Fat %: 15% - 9.8% to go

Running wise I've raced a few times. My 5k PB is down to 21:59, and my 10k PB is down to 46:14, vastly exceeding the targets I set at the start of the year. Any incremental improvements I make over the year now will be bonuses, though I secretly hope to get sub 21 for 5k and sub 45 for 10k by the time the year is out!

• Options

Hi Matty, I figured you aren't a fatty anymore nor a beginner so had moved on lol! Geez I didn't know you'd lost nearly 7st that is nothing short of remarkable!! Well done on your PB's those are great times, you must be so chuffed with yourself! 

Lost 1lb this week so that's 2st now, another 9lbs & I'll be happy, will revaluate at that point to decide if i want to lose more or maintain. Off on hols in a fortnight so I will most likely gain then but I am taking my running gear as not running for two weeks is not happening!

I loved the the race, stuck to my plan of going easy the first 5 then pushing a bit harder in the 2nd 5. It paid off as felt strong the whole time, it was hard keeping my pace when ppl were flying past but I had a wee chuckle when they had to walk & I went past them! Got another planned for October & hopefully some parkruns in between.

Any good plans out there for a HM?? I may never do one but I'd still like to be able to run further & I like a challenge image

• Options

Thats effective strategy! Its waaaaay better to overtake in the second half than the first! Well don on the pound off, looks like you have things well under control.

Good for you on trying for a HM! Challenge = Good and the satisfaction from finishing is even better, as you know its over twice the 10k distance! I very much like the Bupa training plans. They worked really well for my Marathon and I am following one for my current half training. That and they do it based upon time not distance, perfect for 10k graduates!

http://www.bupa.co.uk/running/training/training-programmes/beginner-half-marathon/

All the instructions are there and they decode some terminologies too so you know what you are doing. So I would pick a race you would like to do in about 4 months time, book it, then work backwards to find out when to start this plan. In the mean time just keep doing what you are doing image

Because if you book it you are committed and then have to do it! image

• Options

Thanks! That looks like a great training plan & should be easy enough to fit into my life  without hubby complaining too much! Im not so sure about booking a half, I will have to think hard about that......although i am tempted to say f*** it just do it! 

Going to a running shop tomorrow as I'm still getting ball of foot pain after a certain distance which needs to be sorted out & I'm hoping they can advise on shoes that will help. 

Right away to print out that plan image

• Options

Hi have just joined the forum and I think I would fit in here well image I'm certainly at the right bmi and stage for it! lol 

I'm a former powerlifter (stopped competing 18 months ago) and have put on a bit too much weight - eating bad things, not exercising enough etc. 

I have my own horse but don't manage to keep weight off from riding alone, so here I am.. just starting . 

I did week 1 day 1 of the Couch to 5k plan today - have an app on my phone. Also added on some other cardio after in the gym (I did the run/walk outdoors as the gym wasn't open). lol 

goal is to lose at least 30lbs ideally more. I've never been slim so the ultimate goal is fitness around the 30lb down mark. 

I've done a couple of 5k's in the past but never more than that though I used to run up to 10k. I'm a slow runner though. am thinking a 5k locally to to me or joining a running club might help later when I can run 5k. I suffer from bipolar, so I'm hoping this will help my mental health too. image 

• Options

Matt - your stat attack is AMAZING!! 

and look forward to seeing how far you've all come and drawing on you for inspriation. image 

• Options

Hi MammyPenguin & this is a brilliant thread full of ppl who have lost weight & gotten fit. Wow a power lifter that's impressive! I'm thinking that's a pretty disciplined sport so you're already knowledgable fitness wise, couch to 5k is a great starter & if you find you're fitter than the first few weeks of it you can just jump in where you feel comfortable. Slow is good & will build your fitness without getting injured, good luck with it & let us know how you're getting on image

I have horses too & I'm certainly finding all the chores much easier now I'm fitter & weigh less, need to work on my core though it's just finding the time to fit it all in!

I've had some sort of virus over the weekend, dizzy sweating etc so haven't gotten out but feeling better today so doing a treadmill session tomorrow, at least I can jump off if I start to feel dodgy! 

• Options

Welcome along MammyPenguin! Couch to 5k is a really good plan. With your fitness background you might find it comes easier than most, but try and stick with the plan even if it feels like you can do more. Theres lots of different parts you can hurt with running and the plan is designed to work everything up together slowly image

Look for your local parkrun too, they are great events run by local people and all completely free.

• Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

I like this thread - perfect for me ! Here's my "stat attack" -

Start Weight (Easter) - 17st 4lb (BMI 35.8)

Current weight - 15st 4lb (BMI 31.6)

Target Weight A - 14st 7lb (BMI 30 - not "Obese" any more) 

Target Weight B - 12st 0lb (BMI 25 - not "overweight" any more)

Target Weight C - 11st 0lb (BMI 23) - Top half of "healthy" category

Running since May 5th 2014, where I did Day 1, Week 3 of the zero to 10k programme (I cheated a little as I had done couch to 5k last year, so I skipped a couple of weeks and started at the point I felt capable - it was 4 x 3-minute runs, with 3-minute walks in between). I travelled 2.73 km in 21 minutes.

Then I followed the zero tio 10k programme religiously - running 3 times a week. I once failed to complete a run (it was 2 x 20 minute runs and I had a dizzy/sick spell about 5 minutes into the second phase). But, I just carried on to the next part of the programme (a 40-minute single run), completed it and moved on.

On 22nd June I ran a 5k race in 33mins 25 seconds. I ran all the way, no walking, and beat my previous race pb (a 5k run/walk last summer) by over 3 minutes, and my training pb by over a minute.

On 28th June I reached the 10k mark in training - 1hr 12mins 55 seconds. This is the first time I'd completed that distance, so that's a pb !

On 13th July I am running in a 10k race.

Since starting on May 5th I have travelled 165 km using just my own legs !

Yesterday I went out for a run with a reasonably fit work colleague. He stopped and walked after we'd done about 3k in 20 minutes, I carried on and did 7k in 50 minutes - that felt good !  

Onwards and upwards !

• Options

Very well done Kieran! Tremendous work on the weightloss AND the running!

Don't worry too much about not being able to complete a run. It happens to everyone and it will happen plenty more in the future!

Which 10k are you running in? Usually in a race you can go faster than in training, so fingers crossed for another PB!

• Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Thanks matty. Felsted 10k in Essex. It's a serious County Championship race, I expect to start at the back and stay there and not worry about everyone else. My current time would put me about 395th out of 400 based on last year's results - if I don't finish last I'll be happy !

• Options

Don't focus on that, focus on the other 60million people in the country who'll be sat on their asses while you are out running!

• Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

...and the work colleague who didn't make 3km !!

• Options

Absolutely Kieran!

Weigh in day this morning. another 2 lbs dropped taking my total weight loss to exactly 7 stones image Which is 98lbs. BMI 25.5 It's somewhat poetic that in order to reach that BMI of 25 I have to tip the overall weightloss to the 100lbs mark.

3lbs until I reach that magic target I set out on so many years ago. I don't know how it'll feel when I reach it. When I came close before a few years back (I'm 5lbs lighter now than I was the last time I got "Close") I thought it would be a huge relief, like it would be the release of something, I don't know what. I wanted to celebrate it somehow.

But I don't really know what to do. I have a feeling it's going to be somewhat anticlimactic. Once I reach that BMI target, I'll still have a stone to go to my latest target. Do I celebrate then? I don't know. Feeling a bit weird about it all really. Especially as I still have a flabby belly, I don't feel I can say "Hey, I'm not fat any more!" as I still have the fat around my belly and thighs.

I just don't know! Any advice?

• Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

7 stone loss - amazing matty, what a great achievement image My total target is just over 6 stone, so I'm 1/3rd of the way there (after 3 months).

• Options

Coming over to join you all.

I'm currently 215lb with a BMI of 35.7

Target A 178lb which will put me in the overweight range.

Target B  151lb which will put me just into healthy weight range then I will reassess it from there.

I've been running on and off since February and have lost 12lb so far, I've done C25K and am working my way up through the distances as I've entered Cardiff Half in October. eek

• Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Hi Kate, good work !

And good luck for the half - you're braver than I am. Maybe next year....

I did 10k training run in 1:12:25 yesterday - a new pb !

It was pouring with rain, which was a new experience for me - actually quite good fun, but I got very cold very quickly when I got back in, which took me by surprise. Shower and a cup of tea sorted that out though.

My current thinking is that anything less than 1hr 12 on Sunday will be a bonus. Just finish without walking is the target - much happier I can actually do that now I've done it twice in training.

Keep plodding on !

• Options

Welcome Kate! I can highly recommend the Cardiff Half. It is a brilliant event and really well supported, there was nothing quite like running past the millenium centre for me!

Kieran - I agree, I actually quite like running in the rain. It makes me feel more superior than those at home on their asses image Ad for the race, you can easily expect adrenaline and running with a large group to carry you a bit faster. I'd not be surprised to see you coming in under 1h10 - let us know how you get on!

• Options

Thanks. There are about a dozen of us from our village running group who all signed up together so it should be good fun.

I love running in the rain, I was shocked how hot and sweaty I got on my first dry run!

• Options

Luckily October is a good time to run a half, good conditions hopefully you won't get too hot!

I've moved my running rest day to Thursdays to fit in enough rest and easy mile days. The problem is, my weigh day is Friday. Psychologically I'm struggling with the fact that I'm not burning as many calories as I used to the day before a weigh in and it might affect the numbers!!

3lbs from my first target I'm so eager to get there! Hopefully once I break through it i'll stop stressing/obsessing about it so much. Until the next target anyway!!

• Options

Hi mattywarr, quick question for you - is there such thing as an ideal weight?  I'm 5ft 10in in old money and now weigh 12st 12lbs - last Sept I was over 18st, and according to my BMI I'm now 25.8 which is still overweight.  I've changed my lifestyle drastically (but carefully too) since last summer, regular exercise, sensible diet etc.  I'm newish to running and have taken a lot of good advise from the experts, joined a local club, started regular Park runs (average 24 mins for a 5K).  But, I still get a bit hung up over my weight - my target was/is 12st, but my weight hasn't shifted for well over a month now - I do feel comfortable though.  Would welcome your comments/thoughts.

Ps - like your comments on the Cardiff HM - I'm signed up for that with work colleagues, and also the 10k in September.

• Options

Maybe get your body fat composition checked, I know several professional rugby players who are classed as morbidly obese on the BMI charts due to the fact they are carry so much muscle.

• Options

Firstly, congratulations on your weight loss! Really well done. Glad to hear you are parkrunning too image

I am (And will probably forever) also be hung up on my weight. Please note the rest of the post is my own opinion as a serial dieter, I am no professional by any means!

As for a perfect weight? I don't think there really is one. The BMI guidance is between 18.5 and 25 - thats a difference of around 3 stone, end to end at my height!

But of course its all about body fat too. And making sure you are within a healthy BF range percentage. My scales measure this for me using some sensors. Depending which chart you read it'll vary. But for me, My "Fitness" body fat range should be about 15%.

So, in my view my "ideal" weight will be whatever weight is in the Healthy BMI zone where my Body Fat is around 15%. I suspect this will be around 13st7.

Ultimately though the weight I will be happiest is when I don't have the jiggly belly fat or the inner thigh fat. Which is more important to me than anything.

So I guess it is more about what your motivation is behind the weight loss as to what the best method of determining your ideal weight.

One thing is for sure - I'll always have to be careful. But hopefully once I reach some semplance of the "ideal" weight for me, I'll be trying to keep it within a certain sensibly sized range.

• Options

Hi both - thanks for the feedback, much appreciated, I will look into getting my body fat % checked.

I can relate to the jiggly belly fat Matty - my muffin top seems to have a half life all of it's own compared to the rest of me and my recent weight loss.  The thing is, I know it's shrinking, but it's still there too (if that makes any sense at all, lol), all relative I suppose.

Yes, I'm loving my Park runs; which in turn have led me to joining a local running club - a great source of encouragement, knowledge and inspiration for a beginner like me - I would certainly recommend it to others!

Many thanks

• Options

Weigh in today. I lost about a pound. still 2lbs away from that healthy BMI. I am a little disappointed, I had hoped to lose two, but It was a bit of a naughty weekend. Better knuckle down and focus this week I think.

• Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    You'll get there Matty - slow and steady means it will stay off.

Pinned my race number to my shirt this evening - it's the big event tomorrow, the culmination of my zero to 10k in 10 weeks journey....
  • Options

Hi folks , just came across this and thought I'd say hello , In 2010 I was 19st I decided for all the usual reasons , kids , health and the fact that I was a fat git it was time to do something about it image I did a 20 mile walk after 3 stone and promised myself after that to start running . I trained for my big race (about 6months) Titanic 10k, finished which is always good !

Im now training for my  8th marathon, My weight often goes up by over a stone especially after long training programmes when the innate fat guy says well if I'm resting I might as well treat myself, the trick is not to be too hard on yourself but don't give up training, even that first kick up the arse run image 

I love to hear about like minded people who have finally got their shit together, folks on the c25k, keep it up its fab, I ran my local Parkrun with 30 graduates they were great !!

One final thing and this can be hard when you're big and something not talked about much , good trainers absolutely ,but also , some basic running (dri fit) clothes, once you realise everyone in the park/ street isn't looking at you bite the bullet and get some drifit clothes, runners don't give a damn what they/you look like, but it makes a hell of a difference to your stamina because running in a big sweatshirt and "jogging" bottoms will boil you , you think you are busted when in fact you are just too warm image

Well done Guys keep it up ! Having a beer tonight, training restarts tomorrow for Half on Saturday !