Options

London Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

I'm up for that. In fact the plan says I shoudl be doing just half a mile at the moment but I thought that wouldnt push me enough. I might try and do a bit further this week, but I'm frightened of really demotivating myself if I end up getting sore! It's silly really, I should just get on with it!

• Options

I'm a bit odd as i quite liked feeling sore and not being able to walk down stairs - felt like i must have achieved something to be in that much pain.

Different things motivate people so i guess the thing is work out what yours is. Enter a 10k maybe - then you have a goal, then maybe a 10 mile race or half marathon later on. thats what kept me motivated.

Some people maybe need motivation with a full fry up breakfast, or a few pints image

• Options

Too funny - I motivated myself to run yesterday with the promise of a chocolate bar when i got back.....and then when I got back I didn't feel like it cos I was so hot and knackered!!

Full fry up and a pint is going to be my treat when I complete the marathon - I've got it planned already!

I used to love feeling sore after a good game of rugby - so I think you are right, it's in my head.....

• Options

I treat myself with a massive donar kebab after a marathon!!!!

The great thing when you get to the longer runs is that you burn so many calories you can almost pile down what you want - like a human incinerator.

Hmmm - when i played rugby the sorenes was from being hit by guys twice my size, take all week to recover and then go through the same process again. thats why rugby players drink so much to take the pain away.

• Options

Perhaps that's why I joined the Hash House Harriers - they run to a pub and drink afterwards.....is there a pub stop at the end of the marathon!?!?!

• Options

You're doing well so far Cascita, keep at it.

You might want to try out some mental tricks to keep you going during the hard parts of your runs.

Personally, I find counting to 100 over and over until the bad bit has passed helps. It also comes recommended by Paula Radcliffe image

• Options

after my first marathon i spent most of the afternoon feet up in a local bar in brighton and everyone bought my drinks to me!!!!  Berlin Marathon there is free beer after the marathon (alcohol free), medoc marathon has as much wine as you can drink all the way round!!!! you might want to sign up for that one after london!

• Options

Screampillar - I like the idea of counting to 100, I think that might help a lot. I'm going to try that tomorrow on my next run.

Wenty - I think there needs to be a guide to drinking marathons.....I would be motivated to try and complete as many as possible!

• Options

Hmm the problem might be if Paul Radcliffe has to count to100 for the bad bits then we might have to count to 1,000 or 1,000,000

• Options

I just like the idea that someone as amazing as Paula has bad bits!  Still....right now I would be counting to 100 as soon as I walk out my door....image

• Options

This is something i actually do - not just for running but for other things as well! - BUT I count down. Dont know why i think because it takes a bit more concentration.

• Options

I always thought men recited their times tables......!! image

Not sure my old brain could cope with counting backwards as well as having an arguement with my body about how far they were going to run!

• Options

Cas - thats the idea - i'ts too complicated so the brain cant argue with the body - It works for other things as well image - Maths never was my stong point!

Not sure where you are located but might be worth looking for 5k park runs later on as well - i heard they work well for people training for marathons. None near me in sussex

• Options

Good point! I have yet to meet a man who is good at maths.........! image

There is a park run here in Derbyshire at Darley Abbey and I quite fancy entering it - but I need to be able to at least run/walk/jog/stagger 5kms. My goal in to get up to 5kms by the end of this month, so I think I will start then. I've heard really good things about them from friends who enter - and thateveryone is dead friendly and encouraging, which is what I need!

• Options

yes i guess it helps if you are confident of completing the park run. I have also heard that they are very friendly and a good method of measuring your improvement and push you round a bit. Plus you will probably meet similar nutters attempting a marathon!!! image

amazing how many crazy people there are out there. You might even start enjoying it - then you know you really are mad! image

• Options

well....I am enjoying the forum banter and reading up on other people's attempts, so I do hope I will fall in love with running. I really want to - but I am still thinking that I CAN'T run rather than I DON'T run - so I need to get that out of my head.

I'm still hoping to meet another mad member in this area so I can sweet talk them into running with me. Who am I kidding. Walk/jogging with me....

• Options

Wow - easy tiger!!!!!! - Fall in love with running!!!image

One step at a time - lets make it bearable first! Everyone can run, just some people run further and faster than others - its all relative. 90% of the population can't get off the settee, so you are in the top 10% straight away.

I used to look like a heavyweight boxer, crushing cockroaches  when i started running. I like to think i run a lot better now image

• Options

Yeah, I had to go and sit down in a cool shaded area after I mentioned that L word! Scary thought.

I suspect I may look like a Russian shot putter freshly out of a sauna when I run.......

• Options

I'm sure you will go from Russian shot putter to gymnast in no time!!!!

are you out running today or day off?

• Options

Out today - in a couple of hours time. Just the usual 2 mile lollop! Same again tomorrow, then rest day, Friday 2 miles, Saturday off and Sunday 3 miles. Gulp.

• Options

50% longer on sunday!!!!!image 

Best of luck! sounds like you sticking with it - well done only another 7 months 2 days and 17 hours left.........

• Options

Falling in love with running... Ohhh that's tricky.

I run a reasonable amount now.  I still don't think i've fallen in love with it.  But, i've fallen in love with the new me, and running is helping me stay like this so I love the whole package that I am now and that includes running.

I don't think you need to fall in love with running to keep running.  But, I think you do need to fall a bit more in love with yoruself and appreciate what makes your body tick, and that the exercise from running is a big part of that.

• Options

Ha, I have a countdown app on my phone - so I can see right up to the very second!!!

50% more, yep. Makes it seem scary!!

When is your next one??

• Options

Spot on book trunk - not over keen on running but love the effects and complete package!

Next Marathon for me is Amsterdam in 5 weeks image done no training for it so hoping my training from Aprils brighton marathon will carry me through! Then London 2014!

Where did you get the countdown app from? i want one!!!!

• Options

I can relate to your thoughts Booktrunk - and I am enjoying the glowing feeling I get after just my half hour effort, so I can imagine in time that will only get better!

Amsterdam - damn, I would find it hard to run there, too many cafes calling me in!! image

The countdown app is from itunes - called countdown+ and I love it!

• Options

Rest day today then Cas! - how's it going ? getting any easier or early days for that?

Booktrunk - just read your profile - that is bloody amazing - congratulations!! My acheivements pale into insignificance compared to yours! Wow image is all i can say - no wonder you feel great about yourself

• Options

Wenty *blush* Thank you.

A combination of a good diet (WeightWatchers online), and running has changed me completely.  I've lost 87 lbs and can run now :0 as opposed to not even running to my car in the car park when it rained 18 months ago as it would have killed me.

I'm never going to be a speed merchant 26 minutes for 5k and my best marathon so far is only just under 5h, but I want to keep improving and get below 4:30 for a marathon, got my first ultra in a week.  All because I got carried away watching the London Marathon and signed up for my local one 22 weeks before it began after having never ran as an adult image

• Options

Booktrunk - I too read your profile and WOW! I just don't quite believe in myself yet - that I can actually run. Well, I cant. What I mean is that I can't believe I will EVER run yet. It doenst seem to get easier....in my mind now I should be able to do the 2 miles without walking, gasping for breath, breaking down into hysterical tears when I try and push myself to run two lamp post sections instead of one. You get the idea. So it's so motivating to see someone who has really pushed themselves and succeeded.

Wenty - rest day today. Yesterday I did an evening 2 mile again - changed the route cos it was throwing it down with rain, so decided to go on a trail through woods, just so the scenery was nicer than the usual housing estate I run round. I was slightly slower than usual but I did it, and that's what counts.

Please tell me it doenst take much longer though to be able to stop the walking and complete a whole mile or two at a slow run.

I am enjoying WRITING about it though hahaha!! You can see my blog here - let me know what you think!

• Options

How long haave you been running for? it doesn't seem to be very long.

This is going to be embarassing, but here you go this is how I spent my first two months running image You can see it took me virtually 5 weeks to get upto 5k and then another 3 weeks later i was walk / running / staggering around 10k.

I used to take my asthma inhalers before each run, and now i've not used an inhaler in a year, my asthma has disappeared completely which is interesting.

Date, type of run, time, distance, speed per km.

01 May 2012 Jog 0:19:00 1.9  10:00

02 Jog 0:13:46 1.7  8:04

03 Jog 0:17:07 2  8:23

04 Jog 0:17:26 2  8:42

06 Jog 0:19:04 2  9:34

08 Jog 0:21:30 2.4  8:58

11 Jog 0:17:21 2.1  8:13

13 Jog 0:18:52 2.2  8:35

15 Jog 0:18:28 2.3  8:10

18 Jog 0:17:25 2.1  8:15

20 Jog 0:27:45 3.2  8:39

22 Jog 0:31:30 3  10:30

23 Jog 0:16:55 2.1  8:03

24 Jog 0:17:44 2.1  8:34

25 Jog 0:26:48 3  8:56

27 Jog 0:34:58 4  8:39

29 Jog 0:24:50 3  8:15

01 Jun 2012 Jog 0:27:03 3  9:01

03 Jog 0:43:14 5  8:38

04 Jog 0:20:15 2.5  8:06

05 Jog 0:43:03 5  8:37

07 Jog 0:18:52 2.5  7:33

08 Jog 0:25:32 3  8:31

10 Jog 0:39:05 5  7:48

12 Jog 0:43:14 5.1  8:26

15 Jog 0:44:10 5.1  8:36

17 Jog 1:02:15 7  8:52

19 Jog 0:58:27 7  8:21

20 Jog 0:07:46 1  7:46

22 Jog 0:40:49 5  8:10

24 Jog 1:22:24 10  8:14

26 Jog 0:33:16 4  8:19

29 Jog 0:40:08 5  8:02

01 Jul 2012 Jog 1:27:40 10.6  8:15

• Options

My legs hurt 24 x 7 for the first 4 - 5 weeks, after that it gradually got easier.  I still have weeks where I feel frustrated and crap and want to cry as my legs feel like lead, but you just keep going through it and keep running. 

I made a plan and customised it from my.asics.co.uk and once i had it unless i was physically screaming in agony from an injury i ran.  Tiredness / lazyness / bad weather never came into it they are irrelevent, if your injured you don't run the rest of the time you run :0 it wasn't a very subtle plan, but if I didn't go at it totally and utterly i'd have just found excuse after excuse and would have given up. 

The old Star Wars quote from Yoda is utterly brilliant, there is no try, do or do not.... I did and it's been awesome.