Options

London Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

I was hoping for a sub 5 hour in my first marathon (actually I was wondering if i could complete it). Its easier to run a marathon in 3 hours than 5 hours as it's less time on your feet!

Personal trainer!!!!! It does help to breathe image (I learnt that early on)!! Probably makes sense to learn it earlier rather than later.

I am sure you will surprise yourself! - how many days left?

• Options

208 days, 22 hours and 50 minutes........

I have a secret goal of 5 hours 30 minutes but as you say would be happy to just get round before the street cleaning crew!

Personal trainer ONLY because some kind friend donated the session to me to keep me motivated!

• Options

Not very secret anymore image If you are anything like me I dont think you will really know until near the end of the training, but i think its always good to have goals to work towards. I always need goals to keep me on the treadmill (so to speak)

good to have friends like that (you can't let them down now) - sound nicer than booktrunks friends betting when she would drop out! - Good for her proving them wrong!

• Options

Well I suspect there are a few family and friends betting I will give up, but I am inspired by Booktrunk's efforts, I even joined Weightwatchers on line because she had lost weight that way!

• Options

Good luck!!

i think I am on the WW site as booktrunk as well.

i'm hoping I get in via the ballot for VLMimage got ultra this week Then 3 weeks later it will be Leicester so i'll be running that for the 2nd time /) then three week running holiday to let all my niggles heal. Then start training for London and Milton Keynes next spring. image

• Options

Best of luck with the ballot for VLM - when do you find out?

an ultra !!!! that idea fills me with dread - might try a 30 miler one day image

• Options

30 miles???? Eeek. How far is an ultra? That's not the 24hr type run is it?

Booktrunk how many marathons do you run a year? I worked out I have run 20 miles now in total...so I will have run a whole marathon by the end of this week...!!image

• Options

I've only done 2 about six months apart image last October , this may again plan to keep that up two a year about six months apart image that way I always have a target to keep me running.

these says anything over a marathon is called an ultra I think?image some say it has to be x distance most just don't care. 

the one I'm doing is 50m I'm terrified image hehe I really want to finish, there is a 13 hour limit and I'm quietly hoping for around 11h but a finish in 12:59:59 will do fine image

i've been running since 1st May 12. I've not put in anywhere near the miles I should for the ultra but have done the best I can, so that will have to do. I track all runs on my.asics.co.uk and have done around 1200 miles in total.

• Options

I also thought anything over a marathon is an ultra! Hence why i might try a 30 miler one day (lowest i have seen) to say i have done one ! - but never a 50 miler - thats nuts! image

No wonder you are terrified - thats almost 2 marathons!!!!!!!! image you are one crazy clown! best of luck though. I also try and do 2 marathons. 1 every 6 months to keep me at it.

• Options

Good grief - you are both nutters! Two marathons a year?? 50 MILES in 12 hours???  Seriously though - thank you both for sharing your beginner's experiences with me, it's done me more good than you could even start to imagine - just realising what can be done even when you start from absolute scratch. I still so hope I catch this running bug and get to enjoy my runs. I am already looking forward to them in a strange way, cos it still hurts and is still such hard work, but I do enjoy feeling good afterwards.

I am in awe of you both.....image

• Options

You summed it up perfectly -

Cascita wrote (see)

. I am already looking forward to them in a strange way, cos it still hurts and is still such hard work, but I do enjoy feeling good afterwards. 

• Options

image my knee hurts! Started yesterday on my run, and was sore going dowstairs in particular. Tried to run today and it was too painful and unstable. I had a new ACL 6 years ago, i really hope its not something to do with that? Right under knee and to the inner...hurts like buggery to poke it. Yeah, I know,.,,stop poking.....but hells bells just when i was feeling like I was getting somewhere! Im icing it like mad and wont run tomorrow. Sad, sad, sad.....

• Options

Oh dear - sorry to hear that Cas.

Sounds like runners knee - pain on knee cap or just below and pain mainly walking downstairs. The most common runners injury. I have had ACL and just running that much should not cause any ACL issues - in fact mine is better from running as the muscles supporting the knee got stronger. (However the ACL issue might be what is helping cause the kneecap to mis track maybe)

Google runner knee and see if it sound like you - I think a few days or weeks off are required.

When I started running I had lots of niggles and pains from knees to shin splints.

• Options

Thanks Wenty.....it certainly does sound like that, so i will ice it and rest till Sunday. I had a run planned for Friday but I will go swimming, so at least i do something. I am sure its not ACL related now, but I was in a panic. I guess I have 7 months of feeling panicked every ache and pain!! image

• Options

Best thing i have found is a foam roller for all leg and knee problems!! - It is every runners best friend. - That and stretching (while watching TV or making dinner or a cup of tea etc), and simple leg excercises

Not easy this running lark - people think you just pop out in your lycra and do a few laps and thats it!

• Options

Thanks for the tip - I will find a foam roller! I iced and iced last night and popped the ibuprofen and diclofenic and its ok today. No pain going down stairs, but I still wont run tomorrow (when my next run was planned) and will do some stretches too.

You're right - it's complicated this running habit! I still cant believe how disappointed I was not to be able to run. Ok ok, run/walk!image

• Options

Yes I had ITB problems (another common problem with runners which is knee pain). I dont like running but really missed not being able to do it!!!

I dont understand how you can miss not doing something you dont enjoy! Its weird!

might be worth looking into why you got the knee pain - did you do alot more than before or have you got a biomechanical problem or most common do you have an imbalance in muscles draging the kneecap out of alignment (common cause as the inside quad is weaker than the outside quad). I guess time will tell. My knees hurt when i started running and sorted themselves out.

• Options

Well, I'm kind of guessing since it is the knee with the new ligament that it's partly down to muscle imbalance, cos I know my quads went smaller on that side, plus it was my hammy they used to create the new ligament. I will see what happens on Sunday - I have a knee brace now and on eof those funny stap things that goes under the knee cap - if it's still sore and I can't run then I guess it's time to go and see the sports physio we have in town. Hey ho!

You sum it up though - how do we miss something we dont like. Weird drug this running!

• Options

yes it certainly is weird!! - I used a strap thingy to do Berlin marathon, after being injured (also coated it in Volterol - Good gear image).

• Options

So how was the knee Cas?

• Options

Hi Wenty - well it stil hurts but I have been icing, strapping, popping pills, voltarol coating and generally cussing as I run! I think it will be fine - I did 2.5 miles again yesterday and to be honest I found it is slightly more uncomfortable to walk rather that run - which was weird! I'm taking it steady and not pushing it, but trying to stick with the plan.

I think the enormity of what I have committed to is finally sinking in and I'm panicking!

How was your weekend?

• Options

Hi cascita. 

getting your head right is really important. If it isn't in the game it can make all the difference between a finish or a DNF. I struggled yesterday both physically and mentally and the mental side came closest to derailing me. 

• Options

Hi booktrunk - relly? I would have thought you were passed that stage by now? At least I mean to say I hoped the mental vs physical would end eventually and that our bodies would simply accept defeat and run when we order them to! Blimey. Well, I have an offer I cant refuse tomorrow - a lovely man rang me from the local running club He got my number from my local newspaper blog. He started running some 5 years ago and had never run in his life, but now he enters at least 2 marathons a year and always gets a good for age entry. His age? 68!! He offered to take me running and help me get my mindset right - I feel kind of embarrassed to be honest that someone 20 years older than me can be so fit, motivated and to honest so kind! I

I'm determined to not get a DNF. Or worse a DNS!! Nope. My body and my mind can argue all they want but I want to get this done!

How far did you run yesterday in the end? And how did you manage to 'un'derail?image

• Options
    Yes I managed my ultra 50m but I had a really bad patch from 25-33 or so where I had given up and at one point was crying as I thought that I'd failed. But I got there in the end, just under 12 hours.
  • Options

Wow, well done you! That is seriously impressive and i am in awe! And really pleased for you too. Have a huge virtual hug! Wow! Wow wow wow!! X

• Options

Wow, your story has got even more inspiring!!!!

50 miles image image image   Arghhhhhh I did 17 last weekend and thought i was about to die!!!! - 50 miles................... you total nutter!!!!

At least you can tell your workmates to put a bet on that one!!!! image Congratulations again - Dare I ask how much you hurt now?

• Options

Cas - well done sticking to the plan - if ever you need motivation or inspiration just look at booktrunk (not me-  i feel embarressed now image) Take it easy with that injury and dont push it too far until its better.

Yes it is an enormous task you have taken on - but with small steps its very achievable....

• Options
    Wenty:

There isn't much pain at all it's just the discomfort / stiffness I sort of have to double check that my legs are doing what my brain has asked them to do. Walking upstairs or getting down a large step is a rather slow process.

I'm assuming it will just get better by the day and hardly there by Thursday. Someone said Wednesday will be the worse day but I think they were teasing me... I hope they were!!

Edit:

Actually I seem a lot more flexible this morning. But I've booked in for my first sports massage (first ever massage) tomorrow morning.
  • Options

So is it much worse than after a marathon?

Once again - you really are barking mad!!!! image But i bet you are hobbling round with a big grin ! What more can you achieve now?