Options

ASICS Target 26.2 voting 2015: Meet the sub 3.30-ers

Comments

• Options

Yes I was too Andy. The marathon and ultras are quite new to me so I feel like I've got a lot of improving to do.

Depends on the race as well Andy, the day, the conditions and such like. I always seem to pick the wrong races with the wrong weather! image

• Options

Karen, I've recently been discovering the joys of of road running, taking part in the xc league. Amazing how enjoyable getting cover in mud and running through water can be!
    I only started running about 3 years ago, and only really this year seriously. Up to this year I had run a half and a 5mile. but this year I have done a 10k, 6 or 7 halves and a marathon, and of cause a few parkrun 5k's. All my PB's have been set this year while training for the marathon. 

• Options

Hi Tim, congrats on getting so far in this competition! With you, it's a bit of deja vu a la Malcs!

I had similar issue with timing as you, my marathon time was way off my shorter distances, although I hadn't realised it until I played around with race predictor calculators. When I realised what I should be able to do in marathons, I just believed I can do it, and managed to match my marathon time to my shorter distances! Hopefully asics262 will give you the confidence to get your predicted time image!

Karen, that sounds 'fun' running in hailstones and wind - NOT! That's a good time you got there, and you've only got 2 minutes to knock off your PB! Good luck!

• Options

Hey Elin, good to see you on the forum!  Well done on getting through and good luck, this is a tough category!

• Options

Hi Elin, welcome, this really is a great category image

Thanks Ai Lyn, I am hoping that asics262 will help me with the lack of pace in the final 6 miles of the marathon!

Karen Hailstones, wind, southdowns way. Sounds horrid!!

• Options

In my element I was.... sort ofimage

• Options

Hope everyone's canvassing is going well for votes. I was waiting to get asked the most important of questions but it hasnt happened yet I'll come clean and announce it. My favourite Star Wars character is Bollux. He was Han Solo and Chewbacca's mate. I also like Strictly Come Dancing. It is one of the few times Frozen isnt on. 

• Options

Hahaha. My fingers will be getting more exercise than my legs today. The canvassing is on! 

• Options

Good work on the Celtic tweet gingermagic liked it, I want you to win just for that now! image

• Options

Had to be done mate, I'm going big! 

• Options

No run for me tonight as I had quite a hard session last night. I put into practice some of the things I learned from Steve and Sam. I have this kind of bouncy style to my running and I constantly overstride when I'm working hard. I concentrated hard on increasing the cadence and leaning forward. I felt like I had so much more in me. So yeah, that knackered me. Also making an effort just to stretch more when ever I've got a spare minute and working on the core more.

Steady 4 miles tomorrow night, then it the clubs xmas drinks. Where I'm in the draw for a London place. I've also got a place in Manchester on the 19th. So I've got a plan b and c. I'd obviously much prefer Paris! image

• Options

Any top tips on core work? Were such things covered at camp. 

• Options

Yes core work was covered. Sarah Connors, physio to top athletes led a session on injury prevention. The big one that stands out for me was about the plank. I'm used to just getting down and staying in the same position but apparently you want to be moving whilst planking. Doing 'mountain climbers' etc. 

Also clench those buttocks and engage that core.

• Options

I think there's some good video clips of her demonstating different injury prevention exercises on the asics 26.2 videos page.

• Options

Cheers I'll check them out. I run and I cycle, but that's it, well aware I should be doing other things like core to help improve my running, but I'd so much prefer to just run so always put everything else off maybe doing the on but not and then

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ooh - this is the thread to watch. Moving the fastest of all of them so far!

Thanks for replying to my question. Interesting spread of half and marathon times. Karen - you're so damn close already! Your 5K is already faster than mine was when I cleared 3:30 in April. 

Tim - that half time must have been ages ago. With your 5K you should easily knock a chunk off that. You haven't done a half since you were ill and missed Dorney have you? You'd definitely have done much better there.

David - you're well placed, sitting nicely within an achievable 10 mins of 3:30. Decent 5K which looks like it could improve further.

Elin - nestling nicely somewhere in the middle. How did that 5K feel at bootcamp? Do you do many? You're about where I was with mine but my half was faster. Ladies do seem to convert short times to marathon much better.

Where's other David? I met him on the train on the way to bootcamp. Really nice guy. 

• Options

I think so too Malcs. Feel like I'm really coming into a nice bit of form again after 4 months of plodding in the Falkland Islands. The weather was just awful to be doing speedwork into gale force headwinds! Got back end of October and doing plenty of speedy stuff to get that edge back. 

He is a nice guy and also very quick!

• Options

Malcs the 1.34 was the RPH October but you are right I didnt give it much training and not done one since I was ill. I would hope to knock a chunk off. Once i know what next year looks like race wise then I will set my goals out. I am entered in Dorney again though, love that race. 

Core link here The Running Andy http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/target262/injuryclinic.aspx

Just done my 4 miles this evening, felt good, nice and fresh out there. Now time for the apprentice. Oh and some canvassing! image

• Options

Hi from all at Sub 4.30, some impressive times there. Well done and god luck everybody! 

• Options

Stuff the apprentice, bunch of reality TV Losers!! Hi Kirsten image

• Options
    Hiya Kirsten. Another Scot in the final 25? We are dominating!
  • Options

I think so too Malcs. Feel like I'm really coming into a nice bit of form again after 4 months of plodding in the Falkland Islands. The weather was just awful to be doing speedwork into gale force headwinds! Got back end of October and doing plenty of speedy stuff to get that edge back. 

He is a nice guy and also very quick!

• Options

No time for the apprentice tonight, tho just saw Felipe being fired. Fingers on the buttons guys! Mind you I did my run earlier today.

The Running Andy - you need to get a foam roller. I can't live without mine now. Hurts when you first start using it, ut then you learn to actually start enjoying it in a wierd sort of way.......

Anyway, I'm rambling.... Malcs.. I got the train to London with the other David, great guy. He is also proper speedy, meep meepimage

• Options

Evening all!! Blimey you guys are all soo chatty!! Totally love it!!

• Options

Evening Tigger It is rather chatty in this thread but all welcome! 

• Options

Evening all! I knew this was the best groupimage!  I've had a lovely 3 mile advent run which was slowed down by a mini Xmas market happening en route. I've I had money with me I would have succumbed to mulled wine and mince pies.

Where's that speedy David? It always surprises me that some people don't jump on the forum as soon as they get picked. I would have been ALL over it!

happy campaigning!

• Options

Evening all from fellow boot camper! (Unsuccessful in sub-4 category...) I'm loving reading this thread already! It's great to see you all getting stuck in and answering questions... 

As I didn't get to chat to many of you at boot camp due to the groupings, I'd like to know what's the one unique thing that you would bring to the competition if you won? 

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Tim - apologies, I completely missed the RPH! I thought you were on 1:50 image  That said I still think a faster time beckons!

Karen - yes, I remember him saying. He should really have gone sub 3:30 in his last one if I recall correctly?

Gingermagic - Falklands! Bloody hell. That's a tough place to train!

BRB - oooh, nice question!