Options

Sub 3.30 Tim: #asics262

Comments

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I know so many people (mainly men!!) who test their fitness in a 20m race, run a cracking time but then when it comes to the marathon they find they left their race in the 20m. However, I think a 20m race can be a great chance to do a quality long run in a race situation. It'll be interesting to hear Sam's view on this.
  • Options
    I sound like that man. Will be interesting to hear Sam's views on it.
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I think men find it hard to hold back whereas women take a long time to get going....
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Does this Link work? http://www.oster.com/service-&-support/recipes/recipes-by-product---oster®-versa®/recipes-by-product-oser-versa.html?recipe=ginger-green-juice

I might have to do it from the computer but there's some great recipes including make your own chocolate spread and peanut butter. Mmm
  • Options

Minni Its worked although I might need to buy a blender for them. image   Some of them look absolutely lush. I take it they would meet the Ruth test for acceptability? 

• Options

Roundman Many thanks! Be great to have you around the thread along the way. How did you get on during the Paris marathon? Did you find the k's versus miles a problem or not? 

• Options

Hi Tim glad the thread is up now.  I did enjoy Ruth's food advice last year...enjoyed reading it while I was eating pies and drinking fosters.  

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I went through a phase of having lots of smoothies - I had my own Power Smoothie combination, but was advised by a nutritionist that although they are good for you they don't distribute the energy correctly. The fruit releases more sugar when it's liquidised and this can cause a sugar spike followed by lack of energy a few hours later. I was advised to bulk it up with oats or something similar to help the body absorb it slower. I used to take it to work and have it for breakfast but now I have thick Greek yoghurt, oats, nuts, seeds and frozen rasps. By the time I eat it the rasps have melted but still very cold and it all mixes up into a healthy Eton Mess style dish. Mmm. Once I'm back training I'll go back to my Power Smoothie too.
  • Options

Hello- great to see this thread! I wonder if my times are typical of a man or woman?? Hmm I just think they are typical of someone who hasnt run a half marathon for ages!!

5k 20:53

10k 44:06

half 1:43:??

full 3:39:??

75mile- can't remember overall time but I finishedimage

all this year- the half and full in spring and 10ksep 5k a few weeks ago in dulwich

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Mr Puffy wrote (see)

I did enjoy Ruth's food advice last year...enjoyed reading it while I was eating pies and drinking fosters.   

lol image

I believe Ruth does the same Mr P (except she prefers Tennants) ! image

Totally with Minni on the 20 milers. I've done Spitfire 2 years running but only at training pace. If I'd raced it I'd have been done for come marathon day.

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Hi Tim,

Glad to see they've got someone decent to follow on the Sub 3:30 thread this year. The bloke they had last year was rubbish!!!!

Good luck mate. Right behind you and sure you'll do brilliantly!
  • Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Malcs - don't lie about Spitfire. You were flat out there last year. Me and Shady Ady had to drag you around!

Oh yeah - I've just remembered. I was hanging on like a dog, whilst Ady looked as fresh as a daisy!

For what it's worth I think a progressivec20 mile race with 5 or so at a bit quicker than MP is ideal.
  • Options

Angela Thanks for the times, its really interesting looking at different times we have all done. Your 5k similar to mine, my 10K a few mins quicker, your marathon 12 mins quicker. Except the 75 milers which only you have done. image

Malcs/Minni/DS2 I have checked my previous 3 years and in each of the years i have set a PB at a 20 miler 4 weeks before the main marathon and in each marathon I have noted that i was 'heavy legged'  Dont think this was a coincidence? 

DS2 thanks for the support, it really is appreciated!! 

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    The only PB that matters in marathon training is the marathon PB.

Don't let male ego get the better of you this time. We've all done it!!!!
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Run like a girl!! image
  • Options

That's ok tim- if it's any help- I always found I have been a natural over achiever at the short end, until now- I was running 24 min 5Ks with only 4:33 in the marathon- it was a combination of being smarter with my running, which you will get from the coaches but also a lot of getting the nutrition, recovery right and for me I've seen massive leaps and bounds by encorporating gym based strength work into the mix- it's something i did when I was at uni and a rower- and then when I left uni and first took up running I trained with a pt for a 10k in 2008- didn't see her again after that and it took me until 2013 to beat my debut 10k time!!

because looooong endurance was my weakness ive focussed on it- now I see it as my strength...

I've only run one 20 mile race- Essex 20- it's a 3 lap course and did it as a progressive run MP+60s first lap, MP+30s second lap and MP third lap, as I feel that's what Minni would have done!! Gave me immense confidence to run my pb in my marathon a month later!

• Options

Hey Hark, what kind of strength training do you do ?

• Options

Hi Ruffles- find it strange to be called hark - my Christmas name is confusing me! image

i focuS predominently on the posterior chain- (back of body from shoulders, upper back, Lowe back, glutes, hamstrings, calves) doing exercises like deadlifts, pull ups, sgl arm rows, and quite a bit of work on trx

core stability- usually I just challenge my core whilst doing other exercises rather than spend too much time on the floor working it- for example a bicep curl on the trx has the Core engaged where a dumbbell bicep curl might not.

single leg stability - after all running is all done one leg at a time- walking lunges, single leg squats (with support) steps ups, calf raises, sgl leg dead lifts - there's loads

but also a full body approach- ultimately it's unlikely my legs are gonna be the weak link in a marathon with all the run training but if my shoulders are weak, after 20,000 odd arm swings they will be what causes fatigue and alters my gait, so I try not to let them be the weakness- seems to work well.  Funnily enough, day one of SM75 it was my abs that hurt the most of anything!! After 39 miles!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    DS2 wrote (see)
    Glad to see they've got someone decent to follow on the Sub 3:30 thread this year. The bloke they had last year was rubbish!!!! 

lol image  Too right!  Man did he get on my nerves banging on about his fat arm all the time...image

You're right about Spitfire, Ady did look very comfortable on that one. Wasn't a great one for me and the calf issue didn't help.

• Options
    Woo hoo, the tread is up and running (no pun intended!!!). Put the kettle on, mine's a cuppa!

Ruffles; I'm doing VLM too but gonna start programme at the same time so I'm in sync... Then I'm gonna repeat the last two weeks before the taper. Can't remember who it was, but someone on one of the voting threads suggested this. Definitely gonna help me curb the festive overindulgence!!!

Definitely not my area of expertise, but gotta say I agree with the general consensus that a 20mile race before a marathon isn't the best idea. It just takes too much out of you. My mate did just that before VLM this year and didn't achieve her potential. Will be interesting to see what Sam says though.
  • Options

That's an idea Runny Bunny. Hadn't thought of that.

thanks for the tips Hark! 

• Options

Ruffles, Hark is Herald's Christmas name.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    You're spot on with the 20 Angela. Those 20 miles can make or break you. Get them right and you're rocking, get them wrong and you'll suffer in the marathon. It's all about control of pace.

For what it's worth I have never 'hit the wall' and actually love the last 6 miles of a marathon. Get the training right, control the pace right from the first step and you can look forward to reaping the benefits in the closing miles.
  • Options
    Minni Mistletoe wrote (see)
    I think men find it hard to hold back whereas women take a long time to get going....

We are talking about running right? Just checking ????

• Options
    Ant McNeill wrote (see)
    Minni Mistletoe wrote (see)

We are talking about running right? Just checking ????

imageimage

• Options

Control pace for first 20 miles, control male ego, run like a girl, some excellent tips. I am going to have a look at the splits for my last 4 marathons (excluding Boston where I took it easy) and see what they look like.

Bethlehem running bunny  Welcome, I take it you don't have sugar for your cuppa? image  Sounds an excellent idea for your VLM plan, seems you and Ruffles will be in sync with us then.

Angela I had a session with a sports physio earlier, just to see what condition I was in and he recommended nearly all the strength training you documented. Hip flexors and glute strengthening were top of the list but also to take care on the dumbbell bicep curl.

Minni What pace do you run the first 6 miles at?

• Options

I am itching for a run, cannot wait for 7pm!  What is on people's xmas running list this year?

• Options

oi oi! Congratulations Mr Kent image Been a bit mental busy the last week or so but time to get back on here and say howdy. 

Loved the store day write up btw.

Talking of pacing, a clubmate of mine (2:42 marathon) reckons that if you do a negative split, you've not been trying hard enough in the first half. This generally doesn't apply to the elites though, who often run neg splits due to going 'steady' (but still damn fast) for most of the race before properly racing in the last 10K or so. I think for most of us mere mortals, whatever pace we run at, we'll tire towards the end of a marathon, and if you take it too easy early on, you won't be able to claw enough back to do your very best later on. Personally my best marathon times (a 3:08, a couple of 3:11s, a couple of 3:13s) have come when I've gone out at a strong pace, settled into that and kept it going fairly evenly, hanging on as best as I can in the last few miles where pace slipped a little. The marathon pace training sessions help with that.

• Options

Hi emdee hope all is good with you buddy, great for you to pop by and say hi! Thanks for the comments. It is going to be interesting to see what Sam says as historically I have gone out too hard, on top of too hard a pre race and suffered as a consequence. That said when I have done the 20 milers, I have gone out strong and kicked on. Cannot wait for Sam to let me have the schedule and see what the training looks like as I doubt I have done sufficient  MP training sessions.  What is on your agenda for spring Matt?