Options

Chris Brasher Memorial Run 10K

Comments

• Options
    Thanks URR, photos aren't there yet so I guess I'll have to wait.

Regards

Jeff T
  • Options
    Hi Guys,

Glad to see that you all had a good race. Mine did not go well. Was aiming for 43min finished in 47:00.
    My hayfever was so bad at the start I could hardly see or breathe. I don't think it helped having to walk through the long grass [obviously unavoidable though]. Did anyone else have the same problem?
  • Options
    I didn't see anyone, obviously I was too early. I finished 58.25, 2 minutes less of my target time and 6 minutes less from last year's Nike so I'm very pleased indeed.
  • Options
    Hey y'all

Got home in 41:10, which is far better than expected after a string of injuries. I even think i saw the front at one point!

A most enjoyable race, and I think the mid-race drizzle really did the trick.

Not too sure about those Powerbars at the end though!
  • Options
    I really enjoyed this event. I was a bit sceptical about the organisation pre race, having experienced Sweatshop involvment on occasions. However, this was excellant and the marshalls were so encouraging.

No PB for me... a nice easy 1.01, it made a nice change to just run and enjoy, rather than going flat out to bust a gut!!!!

Well done to everyone.
  • Options
    i enjoyed going flat out and busting a gut in the last mile chuffed to bits at my time 48mins48sec. which is a PB. Previous was 52 mins.
    A little bit of rain during the run which was lovely, a very hard 3 mile climb at the beginning but after that lots of down bits,
    I can build on that now in prep for the Cardiff marathon in Oct, next target is a 9 mile run in July
  • Options
    My first 10k and very pleased with 50:10.

I had a look round but couldn't see any forumites.

I'm signed up for the Windsor half, can anyone recomend another 10k around London in a month or two?
  • Options
    BT - London Pride 10k in Victoria Park, late August. There's a thread on it somewhere.
  • Options
    Thanks UM, I'll track it down
  • Options
    If you like Victoria Park, you can race there every month:

25/7/ London Chest Hospital 10k

21/8/ London Pride Run 10k

12/9/ Middlesex & Open 10k Road Race (see link in other posting)
  • Options
    HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭
    Maestro2. Yes. I spent a few minutes in the company of the first aiders just after half way and the lady pointed out the very high levels of pollen which was probably what had affected my breathing. It was a lovely day though. One of the marshalls at the finish was also suffering.
  • Options
    Cracking race I thought. Well done to all the organisers and helpers for making it run so smoothly. I'd really like to do it again - how about it Hugh?

Didn't see any forumites either... must have seen me first...

Seems amazing that this was my first 10k race, given that I've done many a GNR, GSR and FLM - pleased with a 56.5 min finish time.

Well done to all you PB-ers.
  • Options
    Hi everyone - couldn't find the UFRWRCC... (or whatever) banner.

Met up with flr via the marvels of modern technology though (txt that is).

Good race - my upper thighs hurt today though. I guess running along the thames is no prep for those hills :o)

PB of 60:14 for me so very happy just thinking how fast i could have gone if it had all been flat :o)

Nice medal too!
  • Options
    Congrats to everyone on their runs and to the organizers for a great event. Weather was perfect. Warm enough to lie in the sun before the off, but clouded over and even drizzled to keep cool.
    Was my 1st ever 10k - so it had to be a PB - all the 1s - 1hr 1min and 1sec (it's no joke that's what my watch showed crossing the line !). I didn't find URWFRC either - I did recognize JJ at a distance.

Some of you may take away the same memories:
    - Roger Bannister waving us over the start....in an overcoat ?!
    - the lady who ran behind a tree at the one mile point (I didn't stop laughing until 2 miles)
    - that &*&^% of a hill just before 4 miles
    - what were those strange people doing in the middle of the field ? Some new age incantations or something.
    - the two ladies who held hands for at least two miles - I didn't look to see if one was a guide for the other, but it looked like a special run for them.
    - the two young marshalls at the second turn shouting encouragement - Thanks it really helped
    - the half mile to go, rapidly followed by the 6 miles (was I the only one to forget the .3 in coversion from kilometers to miles ?)
    - that disgusting power bar (I ate it though)
    - the Rugby player - big lad - said he'd make it and he did - huge respect
    - the biblical downpour as I was changing trains at Waterloo.

What a great experience. I didn't know Chris Brasher - but that was a send off to be proud of.

Slug
  • Options
    Turned up at 10am and couldn't find the URWFRC anywhere? Looked by Tent in field, but no luck!
    Shame not to meet people but, PB for me anyway!
    Didn't get my sub 50, but am very happy with 00:50:45. previous PB was 52:48 and that was on the flat!

So good day, and very well organised I thought!

Well done everyone.
  • Options
    Hi everyone!

Didn't meet up with anyone which is a shame but just wanted to say what a fab race!

I made the mistake of gulping down a whole bottle of powerade before I started on an empty stomach - d'uh!! I didn't want to have to carry a bottle you see, not going to make that mistake again! I joined my group in the pens and walked to the start, however I had to turn around and leg it back to the portaloos as I felt so uncomfortable, you have no idea how jealous I was of all those men who were going behind trees! (some of you guys may have seen me running the wrong way before the race started!)

I managed to get back to the start after everyone had gone and I set my stopwatch from then.

Had a really great race and enjoyed it thoroughly, managed to catch up with and overtake some people who were in the pens with me though nearly died on that hill at 3 1/2 miles gone! Legs felt like jelly after that!

Made the mistake of legging it after what I knew to be the final hill and not taking into account that there was actually more than a mile to go, when I reached the half mile left mark (which I thought was the end) I totally lost it and stopped. However a couple of really nice runners told me to keep going and I managed to start again - yippeee!

Soooo I finished, according to my watch, in 56:41 minutes!!!!!! Best ever! Official time was 1:03 something I think but I'm going to go by my actual race time and be dead chuffed with that.

How nice was that rain by the way, all misty and cooling :o)

Only problem is that my knee is really giving me problems, I think I took the hills too quickly but it was the only way I knew I could get over them!

Congratulaions everyone and the organisers for a really well marshaled and organised race, power bars were a bit rank though so I gave them to my son haha

(how heavy is that medal?!)

All the best

Tara
  • Options
    Hi all - can only echo the sentiments that the Chris Brasher 10k was an event well done.

Went round a bit slower than I had hoped, but still managed it in 45:21 - the Kingston Hill was much more punishing than I thought it would be (much gritting of teeth up to the top!)

Highlight was the crowd-lined last 300m or so, I felt like a proper runner with the crowd!

Hopefully this will become an annual event, well done to everyone who took part,

Ben
  • Options
    That was such a fun race. I think someone had had a word with the chap upstairs about the weather too - nice and cool, then two thirds of the way round, a spot of rain to cool you down - ace!

Only trouble was that I got there a bit late, started right from the very back and moaning about a niggly knee. Never overtaken so many people in my life though, managed a PB of 47mins in the end and was more than happy.

I couldn't find any URWFRC tent type objects either. Catch you next time...

AW! One thing that did annoy me - they could have done with a clock at the start...
  • Options
    Yeah that's a point chintz, would have been helpful for later starters like me to see how far ahead everyone was!
  • Options
    MackemMackem ✭✭✭
    Can only echo everyone else's comments about the organisation. Great, feel good race and really lovely to have Roger Bannister starting it - felt very circular somehow: him helping out Chris' cause in return for Chris having helped him all those years ago.

I run Richmond Park all the time in training but it's the first race I've done there and I was fascinated to see how much difference the hills made to the mile splits: in my case about a minute between my uphill miles and my downhills. Very happy that I got within a minute and a half of my pb on such a hilly course.

Well done to all.
  • Options
    Tara & Chintz, simple solution to the start clock. Buy a stopwatch! Treat yourselves!
  • Options
    didn't you read my post above? I set my stopwatch as soon as I passed the start line as I was about 5 minutes late to start, wanted to make sure I got an accurate time!

Oh and I don't need to buy a stopwatch, I got one free when I signed up to runners world :oD - it's very naff and a bit chunky but it does exactly what it says on the tin!
  • Options
    just to reiterate what almost everyone else has been saying - what a fantastic, brilliantly organised event this was. Only my second ever race and I took three and a half minutes off my PB so no wonder I'm happy.

from the minute we got off the train and were met in the station to the great crowd cheering at the finish, it was a pleasure. and what an honour to be started by Sir Roger as well!

thanks Hugh Brasher and here's hoping that you've raised a shed-load of cash for your charity and think about doing the same next year.
  • Options
    HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭
    As I came out of Richmond station I met the first marshall. He smiled, asked me if I was going running and directed me to the first shuttle bus. All the marchalls after that were just as friendly, which set a good tone for the event.

Was anyone else on that first bus?
  • Options
    what time was the first bus helephant? cos me and alley-cat were on one at about 9-ish. I had to laugh when i was asked if we were running in the park as we were both in running gear with outr numbers pinned to our fronts - we often dress like that for a sunday morning stroll!! LOL
  • Options
    HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭
    You would remember the first bus if you were on it, as everyone but me got off to walk, then hopped back on again 10 minutes later.
  • Options
    nah - wasn't that one!

thought i saw you at one point helephant - did you have your name written across your front?
  • Options
    HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭
    I did indeed. Deliberately wandered around in a forum vest with 'Helen' on the front hoping people would rush up and say hello.

I worked. I met Tinks and ran the first half with her.
  • Options
    We met flr and alley cat ran with her - sorry we didn't manage to meet you