Options

Chris Brasher Memorial Run 10K

Comments

• Options
    Sorry, when I say not timed I mean there is a race clock but no results service and no-one taking people's times at the end, apart from the first 50.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Not timed at the price that we have paid to enter. I know it is for charity BUT come on guys, that is bad news I think. Am I on my own with such thoughts?
  • Options
    Nope you're not alone ceal. I only paid £10 on the day to do the RNLI leg it for lifeboats run on 23rd may (my birthday!), would have been cheaper if I'd booked in advance. Really enjoyed the day despite it being my first 10k ever and blimmin hot (thought I was going to collapse at one point, poured a whole bottle of water over my head and felt a lot better haha).

Anyway, all results were posted on the internet, they got quite a few people's names wrong (my work colleague John became John-Paul!)but they did try at least! They also took pictures of most the people (I didn't make it on the site but my colleague got three pictures up! He was nearly 20 minutes faster than me mind!)

As this is the only Chris Brasher 10k (I think!), and it's really expensive to take part, you'd think they they could at least post our results somewhere, I'm sure it wouldn't cost that much money!
  • Options
    Ditto for the Love 10k on valentines day in Battersea Park. Very well organised - free t-shirt as well - and on the flat ;-)
  • Options
    The problem with such big races is if you're going to do it at all then you've got to do it properly with chips taking the time you cross the start as well as the finish...

... i'd rather not have an 'official' time than have one that includes the six minutes it took me to reach the start!
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Point taken nessy, thanks.
  • Options
    You have got a point Nessy!

When I did the RFL in battersea in May I didn't get past the start line for a good few minutes, there were 8000 people so it was a bit crushed, incredibly well organised though, didn't feel like that many!
  • Options
    Bloody ell! And yer haven't even run it yet!
  • Options
    Hi everyone - haven't been on here since FLM as I've done b*gger all since then and wasn't sure I'd ever plod again.

However, Mr T has managed to persuade me to get my trainers on again and go for this and now I see that it's turned into a big Forum event - terrific! Hopefully, it won't take me all day (like FLM) so I might actually meet some of my virtual chums after all!

Adding us to the list:

Alley-cat
    Annajo (target time=53 mins)
    Becca Boo
    Ben C #340 (Target time = 42-45 mins)
    bern
    Bison
    Bos #2461
    Captain Blackadder
    Ceal (Target time = 48-50 mins).
    Chintz
    Coco-Cat
    Devious
    Doughball
    Faye
    FLR
    Fraggle
    Gav (40 mins)
    Helephant (was Helegant) - 01:10-01:15
    HoneyB
    Mr Jump
    JJ's Aussie friends husband
    Kinsey
    Matthew Broadway (target sub 50, so 49:59)
    Meerkat
    MikeFrog (target time=55 min)
    MissP - expected time of 55-60min
    Nessy
    Niki
    Octopus
    Old Bones
    Richard Ledger
    Riza (target less than 1 hour I hope)
    Rundown
    Scooby Dave
    Shirl
    Slug
    Staggers
    Tara #1783 (prob finish 1hr 5 or just over, hopefully less though!)
    Tinks #296 (prob finish 1hr 15 or just plain last!)
    Twinkle (hopefully around 1:15)
    Mr Twinkle (probably around 60 mins)
    URR #3328
    Scooby Dave

Spectating
    Josie Jump + Jumpets
    JJ's Aussie Friend + 2 possums
    Spans
    Mrs Staggers + 2 Junior Staggers
    Tara's boyf + sprog
    XRF Bear
    Mr Fraggle + fraglets
    Mr B's mates Brian and Sarah
    Twinkle's Teenage Boy (possibly)
  • Options
    I know it is obvious as there is a map in the race pack, but if anyone does take themselves to Richmond Park for a training run, the route is along the road*.
    A seperate path takes in a much wider circuit of the park so don't run that and think a lap is taking you longer than it should!
  • Options
    Hi ceal
    I think it's a bit off too having no timing. I know it's for charidee but it's a RACE with Chris Brasher's name attached to it, it's not billed as a 'fun run'.

Alley-cat
    Becca Boo
    bern
    Bison
    Bos #2461
    Captain Blackadder
    Chintz
    Coco-Cat
    Devious
    Doughball
    Faye
    FLR
    Fraggle
    Gav (40 mins)
    HoneyB
    Mr Jump
    Kinsey
    Matthew Broadway (target sub 50, so 49:59)
    Meerkat
    Nessy
    Niki
    Octopus
    Old Bones
    Richard Ledger
    Rundown
    Scooby Dave
    Shirl #117
    Slug
    Staggers
    URR #3328
    Scooby Dave

Spectating
    Josie Jump + Jumpets
    Spans
    Tara's boyf + sprog
    XRF Bear
    Mr Fraggle + fraglets
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Hi Shirl, you have got me going again. Of course it is a race you are right.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
  • Options
    annajoannajo ✭✭✭
    hello shirl!!!

Not sure on this one, but I think it was a case of (due to the numbers of runners involved) either: use ChampionChip and for the odd thousand or so people who don't return their chips, lose that amount of money from the charity fund, or else take a similar stance to the race for life, with no risk of losing that money

it would be fairly impossible to take people's times any other way, people would be coming across the finishing line in too large a group at the peak finishing times.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    annajo, do you know what the cost of a chip per person would have been? It is already a high price to pay for a race, but I don't mind that it is a good charitable cause. But I think it is fair comment that it is not a Fun Run. It is advertised as a 10k Race. A lot of publicity and coverage it would seem.

I am just wondering how much more we would have had to pay for carrying a chip.
  • Options
    Hmmmmm... so no-one gets a time because of <1% of the field. Anyway, I thought chips are single-use throwaway nowadays - isn't that how RunLondon does it - cheap and cheerful?
  • Options
    I must admit that I was surprised when I read that it wasn't timed.

It does take the shine off a bit, not being able to see where you come in the race.
  • Options
    annajoannajo ✭✭✭
    the ChampionChips are most definitely not single use then throwaway! we lose quite a bit of money for every race we organise through people not returning their chips, when they don't run. This is because ChampionChip (the firm that do the timing) effectively loan these chips to us, on the idea that we return them all or pay for unreturned chips.

Think how much effort London Marathon puts into getting the chips back off runners at the end of the race - my club colleagues work at the end of London, cajoling tired runners into allowing them to sever those chips from their laces by whatever means.

Its well over 1% of the field as well, at Reading at a guess, it was something like 8% of the field that we are still chasing for Championchips
    (not sure exactly how much per chip, but over a fiver I think, though this isn't exactly my field of expertise!)

(oh dear, I've thrown a few figures around there, to be honest this is all estimates on my part, but I reckon I'm not too far off with those estimates)
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the explanation annajo.

Although as Andreww says it does take the shine off somewhat not having results to mull over.
  • Options
    OK annajo understand the ChampionChip point, BUT Nike 10K '03 was around same price (I think) and they did use the white "one use" ChampionChips - they DO exist! You just use at one event and then keep or throw away! I guess that's because Nike don't mind spending the fee on the Chips where as this is a charity event?

You can understand why people get annoyed though. For example, RW are pushing the Reebok Premier Challenge on the website, but results from the CB memorial can't be included in the challenge as there are no official verifiable times!

Surely a company with the purchasing power and reputation of Sweatshop events can come to an arrangement with ChampionChip to make chip timing cost effective even for charity events?

Looking forward to a great day out and well organised event all the same!

Alley-cat
    Becca Boo
    bern
    Bison
    Bos #2461
    Captain Blackadder
    Chintz
    Coco-Cat
    Devious
    Doughball
    Faye
    FLR
    Fraggle
    Gav (40 mins)
    HoneyB
    Mr Jump
    Kinsey
    Matthew Broadway #2818 (target sub 50)
    Meerkat
    Nessy
    Niki
    Octopus
    Old Bones
    Richard Ledger
    Rundown
    Scooby Dave
    Shirl #117
    Slug
    Staggers
    URR #3328
    Scooby Dave

Spectating
    Josie Jump + Jumpets
    Spans
    Tara's boyf + sprog
    XRF Bear
    Mr Fraggle + fraglets
  • Options
    The signs are up in Richmond Park!!!!

Exciting!!!!

I wish I was around to run this one :(
  • Options
    Much is made of this being a charity run, and of course the money is going to a good cause, but what exactly is the situation?

The view from Richmond Hill is stunning - as I have said before on this forum, I spent my wedding night (not all of it!) staring out on it from the Petersham Hotel - but in what way is it under threat, and by whom?

Perhaps if it were made clear to us we would be less awkward. Frankly, Trust or no Trust, any attempt to build on that stretch of the Thames would become such an issue it would be dropped anyway - or perhaps I'm living in a pre-New Labour world...

Either way, it is an expensive race and with not so much as a finishing time, I feel we do have the right to question where the money is going and why it is so expensive. This in no way of course, reflects on the aims of the race in preserving a great site and honouring a great man, which I am sure are genuine.
  • Options
    HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭
    At least there will be medals :-)

Without wishing to get this out of proportion, I too was disappointed to read that this race isn't timed. It will only be the second such race that I've taken part in (the first was a small village 5 mile run), and other organisers have solved the problem.

This is a very expensive race to enter and I assumed that the extra was for charity with normal race fees and facilities as teh base.

I'm looking forward to the event.
  • Options
    Hi all

Am back from a most refreshing holiday :-)

Nice to see you all keeping the list up.

Can see both sides of the timing thing, but have seen lots of posts on other threads about the small amount of money that goes to charity from these events so can't really complain if a charity tries and maximise their income.
  • Options
    I see in today's Metro free paper there's an ad for this - and they're now advertising it as a run, not a race!

Interestingly, it also says that this is "The only road run in Richmond Park this year".

What about the Nike 10k??? Anybody know if it's on or not this year? Or is this a play on words - the Nike being a proper Race?
  • Options
    Question for anyone who has looked at the map in the pack:

It says the richmond gate is closed - i assume this only means to traffic?

I'm coming by bike and do not want to cycle round the outside of the park to the next gate then back inside the park (i'll be needing to conserve my energy!)
  • Options
    Hi all you forumites

The reason the run is not being timed is purely down to cost.

Briefly the costs of the run are as follows;

Hire of Richmond Park £12,000
    Traffic orders and road signage for Wandsworth, Richmond and Kingston £8,500
    Medical £1,500
    Loos £4,500
    Park litter collection £2,400
    Communications £2,000
    Run permits and affliations £800
    Shuttle Bus Service £4,000 - this should cost three times as much, but the Bus company have been incredibly supportive.
    Barriers £2,000
    Course Signage £500
    Payment to Business in the Park affected by the closure at least £2,500 - this could rise to £8,000!!
    Marquess PA's etc £2,000
    Hire of Local School £1,500
    Medals £3,000
    Marketing (a lot of this was given FOC) at least £6,000
    Race Numbers/Postage £2,000

Total so far over £55,200 VAT - you will note their is no cost for anyones time even though a team of staff have been working incredibly hard to make this run happen and it reality I haven't listed all the costs.

The additional cost of timing people with ChampionChip is approx £1.00 per person, £800 for the results £0.25 per person for additional database and envelope labelling plus £5.00 per lost or unreturned Chip. Let alone the cost of mailing out two letters to people reminding them to return the chip if they haven't run.

We have just over 4,000 entries - Sweatshop shoulders all the above costs - the income Sweatshop will receive is £8.51 per runner - that is £10 less Vat (the government makes us tax you for entering a race). So the cost of putting on the run to Sweatshop is over £21,000. Please do note that if we had more runners the costs above would also have gone up considerably

However, on a really positive note we have raised over £50,000 for the Petersham Trust.

We have also made sure there are large clocks at the half way mark and the finish so you can take your own timing.

The purpose of the run has always been to raise money for the Petersham Trust and to let people enjoy a great day out in Richmond Park.

We have been helped enormously by so many people - from Marshals who are giving up their time free of charge - The London Marathon who are donating the water, gave us a free stand at the Marathon Exhibition, as well as lots of free advertising, The Royal Parks - so many people that I can't begin to name them all here.

I do hope that you all have a great day - I and my team have worked incredibly hard to make it an event my dad would be proud off and an event that you will be glad you entered.

I look forward to running round the Park with you on 20th June

All the best

PS Currently there are plans to hold a Nike Run London in November, but not in Richmond Park.

The Park will be open to bicycles and pedestrians on 20th June

• Options
    wow Hugh, thats one comprehensive and informative answer...thanks!
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Thanks Hugh for taking the time to explain everything so concisely and in such detail. Much appreciated.
  • Options
    Thanks Hugh for the explanation - it Hadn't occurred to me that you wouldn't be covering your costs.
    Out of interest though, do you think that there will ever come a point when Championchip (or similar system) will launch a lower cost timing service for smaller charity events so chip timing can become standard across the board? As they do all the major international events anyway, surely this is the only real way from them to grow the market?

P.S - put your expected time down on the list! Go on - sure we would all love to know how fast you can run!
  • Options
    annajoannajo ✭✭✭
    (ah he might be a bit secretive about his expected time, there's a lot of Sweatshop people running this, its all getting a bit competitive here!)