Options

Kingston Running Festival Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Good luck everybody - have a great one! Hope everyone has Mr & Mrs FF on their number. Team FF hits Kingston!
  • Options
    So thats a Marathon!
    10 miles felt fine.
    15 miles first signs of cramp.
    20 miles on target (2:40)
    Then struggled with cramps and started going backwards, plan flew out the window and I started singing 'I did it my way', which surprises me now coz I didnt know that I knew the words! Helped a bit though, & some 16milers and spectators had a laugh. Had to stop and walk a few times - Angelis was suffering with me, as were quite a few others. Managed to run (shuffle!)all the way from Scilly Isles to the line, but my dream 3:23 slipped past unnoticed. I caught up with a chap in a '100 Marathon' shirt; it was his 225 marathon! AND he was only 65 years young!! Stayed with him all the way and shamefully sprinted to the line ahead him (but my original goal was to beat Gordon Ramseys FLM time of 3:37).....

Finished approx. 3:36:40
    Role on Luton.....any others lunatics up for it ??
  • Options
    I ran my body into the ground! I dont know how to take it easy after running London to Brighton last week.

PB*PB*PB*PB*PB* 3h 24m 10s including pit stop in the bushes on first lap to lighten the load. Been really struggling with my guts.

Well done everyone!!!

Set off quick and enjoyed the whole race upto 23 miles. Gutted there was no energy drinks to kick me to sub 3:20, drained everything into that head wind, but ran well all the way round.

Great support on the way round thanks Rob, for lending your crew. Worked well at all 3 spots.

Memeber me? I wasn't purple this time, was in my Watford Harriers Black and white vest with red shorts.

X-Country yesturday did bad, gut problem again with pit stop, completed 41:45 for 6 miles plus.

Such a great week for me, totter up 86 racing miles and now going to take a rest till Snowdon maybe or Stevenage.

Adam
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Yeah!
    I did it! At last! After 7 occasionally enjoyable but mostly catastrophic attempts, I finally broke 3 hours! Can't tell you how chuffed I am.

Finished in 2:58:24. Had an unpleasant stitch and even retching from 20-22 miles as my body gave up trying to digest glucose sweets (just water for me in races from now on), and twinges of cramp towards the end, but recovered for a strong finish and more-or-less perfectly even splits.

Thanks so much to RobK's support team and the others who popped up right when needed with their lists of Forum numbers to cheer along.

It was good to see that Cyril bloke with his "81 not out" t-shirt. I'd forgotten about him.

Nice to meet you all too.

Hmmm... Luton, eh?
  • Options
    well done everyone.I died on lap 3!! Had the pleasure of running with Shirl for 2 laps and thats when she pulled out,food poisoning week of marathon not good,or was it that i talk to much.Missed her on last lap thankfully hubbie and daughter on bikes kept me company,put them through it though,
    sorry to them.I eventually finished in 4hrs 57mins and cried (i am a female)and said never again.Now where did i put that London Marathon form!!!!
  • Options
    Hi all thanks for your support all the way round did finish but ran really badly and finished in 3.42.08 0ffical time. Got to 15 spot on schdule then commplely died.

No more marathons for me this year entered Cabbage patch 10 next week.

Once again thanks for the Support

Fozzy
  • Options
    Actual published times in the Kingston Marathon...

151 toomuchapplepie 2:59 (2:58:23)
    153 Bubblecop 3:10 (3:07:16)
    204 (ultra)Angelis 3:10 (3:41:19)
    37 Fozzy 3:14 (3:42:08)
    22 RobK (Rob) 3:19 (3:20:24)
    27 Ivor Blister (John) 3:23 (3:36:24)
    205 Purple Monster (Adam) 3:30 (3:23:57)
    62 Deadbeat 3:30 (3:33:38)
    31 Loaded (Tim) 3:55 (4:03:14)
    253 Loubeloo 3:55 (3:47:09)
    256 Lisa Hart 2 (Lisa) 4:30 (4:58:00)
    295 Shirl (Shirl) ??:?? (See above)
    ??? Helen (Helen) ??:?? (???) (There were two Helens who recorded times, 3:56:51 and 4:07:24)

Well done everyone...

Me, I only did the 16 miller. 2:54:19. Just building up to a Marathon sometime next year.
  • Options
    Toomuchapplepie gets double-whammy for getting best predicted time, followed closely by RobK.

According to Tim Noakes (Lore of Running) 65% of first time marathoners under estimate there finishing times and 15% of those are a whole hour out!!

(Done One, please don't use the words '16 miles' and 'only' in the same sentence ;o)
  • Options
    Has anyone been able to see the results yet? Can't seem to find them on the Human Race website...
  • Options
    well done to everybody yesterday the only person I meant was Ivor Blister.

Time for marathon did go as I predicted due to tight thighs and asthma attack which gave me a 15 minute stop included in my time. All started off quite well running perfect 7.15 pace and got through halfway in 1.30 dead but at 14 had asthma attack then thighs tightened again after enforced rest so struggled to the end.

I glad to see TooMuchapplepie finally broke his 3hr time. WELL DONE

gongratulations to everybody who ran yesterday for a MUG.
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Results are on the human race site.

Half-tempted to enter the FLM now for my guaranteed place, having previously sworn I'd never do it again. Hmmm...

I'd suggest that the mug is perhaps the best one they've done, and a good deal less garishly over-sponsored than previous efforts, even if it is still, at the end of the day, just a flipping mug.
  • Options
    My apologies to all for using "only" and "16 miles" at the same time, but this was in deference to all those I listedwith their times. You had all run an extra 10 miles+. After doing 16 miles yesterday an extra 10 miles seems a long long way. I have done a couple of marathons myself a good few years ago, and I found halfway was at 20 miles.

I must also apologise to myself for a great injustice! I appear to have had a typong error, and added an hour to my own 16 mile time. It should have read 1:54:16! It was fairly late when I typed it. The results were from the official website.

http://www.humanrace.co.uk/results04/festivalmara.html

I am not sure who first had the idea of giving mugs as prizes, but nice one!
  • Options
    Well done to all in the marathon. Must admit when I saw everyone setting off, I was quite happy I had entered the 16 miler.

V pleased with my time of 1:48:12 - perhaps I'm graduating beyond being a 10k runner!
  • Options
    Nice work guys and congratulations

Watched the race from the side and saw how hard everyone worked. Felt really sorry for the marathoners who came into the market place the second time and had to go and run a third lap.

The wind got worse and worse into your faces from the Scilly Isles back into Kingston. (23-26.2 looked very tough)

Well done to all of you

Doylie
  • Options
    Yeah - i was disappointed I didnt get under 4 hours. However in my defence I was heading for about 3:45 until mile 23 when I developed a Bad knee problem (similar to ITBS) so I was hobbling (doing the proverbial pregnant penguin) for the last 3 miles....
    I was late getting to the start so I didnt meet anyone at woolies except Ivor Blister.
    Still my supporters got some photos of some of u. Some are a bit ropey (taken from quite a way off but you can email me if you want them at loaded52@aol.com.
    Here are the numbers of the people they got...
    153 - Bubblecop - end of first lap
    22 - Robk - end of first lap
    204 ultra(angelis) - end of first lap
    37 - fozzy - end of first lap
    62 - deadbeat - end of first lap
    22 - Robk - end of second lap
    62 - deadbeat - end of second lap
    204 - ultra(angelis) - end of second lap
    37 - fozzy - end of second lap
    27 - ivor blister - end of second lap
    thats it folks... email me if you want a copy of the photo emailed to you...

ps.. many thx to the supporters esp Robk's supporters who I met outside hampton court palace and the 2 guys standing at the corner by the two mile loop.
  • Options
    toomuchapplepie and Rob - can you predict 6 lottery numbers for us all so that we can become full time marathon runners? your predictions are very good.

Adam
  • Options
    Well done to everyone yesterday

Missed out on the woolies meeting due to an urgent appointment in a portaloo in a dark side street (don't they put lights in them?) Sorry I missed you all.

Thanks Rob, loaded and others for your supporters around the course, a pleasant surprise to hear your name being shouted by completet strangers.

I missed my prediction by 3 minutes but I blame that on the headwind in the last 3 miles. Oh - and I was feeling a bit weary.

Thanks and well done again everyone - supporters and runners.

• Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    6 11 24 35 44 45
  • Options
    Loaded I have just emailed you for the photos - thanks Angelis
  • Options
    Hi all,

Well what a day, what a first (and last?) marathon.

Weather started out perfect but then that wind on the last lap (and especially last 3 miles), need I say more.

I started too fast (as indeed I thought I would) with 7:05 for the first mile, but after that it was all going nicely to plan just 2 seconds off my schedule at 20 miles, however by then my mile times had already started to drift and the last 4 were a joke (the worst being mile 25 in 8:46, how bad is that !!!!). But I guess everyone was suffering that last 6 miles as only 1 person overtook me, and she finished 6 minutes ahead, now if only I'd had the energy to go with her !!!!

Not sure how they arrive at my official time as it was 15 seconds off my own time and I don't think my watch is that far out.

44th overall and 13th if I count the mens vets - of course I'm pleased with those figures.

Very well done Toomuch, under 3 hours is very impressive and 13th overall !!!!

There must have been a lot of people not turn up or switch race, with only 190 starters.

My supporters say hi to you all and well done, you were all spotted at least once.

Thanks too to the marshalls, a great job at holding traffic up, I had no problems with cars or pedestrians.

It's a pity we didn't all meet up before but I guess that was always going to be difficult with the loo queues and people's individual preparation.

Now I have to plan an assult on 10K, 10 mile and half marathon PBs as follows:
    10K - under 40mins
    10 mile - under 67 mins
    half marathon - under 1:30
  • Options
    Well done Rob on that time for a first Marathon. I knew you would have done well as your preparation seemed to be perfect for this race.

I too really struggled after 18 miles, mile times droped but i didn't feel i was going that much slower, I guess i was just less efficient having taken on no energy during the race. I should have subbed 3:20. last 4 miles were 8:53, 9:12, 9:21, 8:26!

As for your time, I noticed the same thing. My watch said 3:24:10, just after the finishing line, and i was given 3:23:57, with the person behind me 3:24:07 which is more likely my time. I finished in 50th possition. I think they have missed a name out above us, or put in a phantom time. Good luck with achieving your other race times.

I knew you must have been close! your supporters by Hampton court had just started to walk away towards the bridge when I came on my last lap, so as I ran by said 'hello again' no longer felt like strangers.

Also must appoligise to ice cream man who I yelled at after he decided to park his trailer shop on the racing line into the bridge on the 2nd lap, with it still connected to his big car which made it really awkward to get round.
  • Options
    toomuchapplepie, thanks for the prediction, fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Purple Monster, I too was somewhat annoyed at the ice-cream van - what a stupid place to park.

That was my Mum and Dad by Hampton Court bridge. The others were Nick (large chap) and Greg by the Thames Ditton cricket green and my wife and daughter and in-laws on Kingston bridge.
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Regarding the wind, I found it slowed me down maybe 5 - 10 seconds per mile on the runs into Kingston. Starting the 2nd lap out of the wind I suddenly put in a mile nearly 20 secs quicker without really feeling it.
    Didn't really feel it on the last lap though, as I was too busy finding new ways to ward off cramp spasms in both calf muscles.

Great marshalling, although I had to hop over a low fence at Hampton Court station due to a badly parked bus, and that's where the cramp started.

Looks like I missed the cut-off for a FLM place too, so that's settled that dilemma.
  • Options
    Rob please thank your supporters for me to.
    I said never again but sent FLM form off today, some people never learn!

• Options
    Yes Rob please thank your supporters they really helped.

Loaded photos haven,t arrived yet

Fozzy
  • Options
    Fozzy - I'm marshalling somewhere on the Cabbage Patch 10, let me know your number & I'll heckle you.

Excellent logistics with the supporters RobK.

Lisa, Well done!
  • Options
    Ivor nice to see you at start (only time i did) just a dot in the distance after that!

Has anyone entered London?

Rob, Billericay Striders have a nice 10K 7th
    November, can promise you scenic, exposed and undulating, just perfect.I'm marshalling so i could give you a cheer, PB maybe not.
  • Options
    Ivor race number is 2371 i here course is flat
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    does anyone know if there are official photos ?