Options

Hard Training - Dawn (Hilly)

Comments

• Options
    Good luck for Yeovil tonight hilly!

Unfortunately, I can't make this one but at least I can say I met you before you were famous ;-)

• Options
    Best wishes with your training Hilly.

Supporting you all the way.

Scoobs
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Will be sorry not to see you tonight NE. Hoping to do next month's too, so maybe see you there.

Not sure of pace for tonight, so I'm just going to see how it goes. Had over an hour massage (self massage with scholl massager) on injured leg last night and it's feeling quite loose today. I just hope I don't come last!
  • Options
    Hilly, do a very long warm up jog and very light stretching so you don't agrevate the injury - this hot weather will help.

Mike
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    hilly - I take it the Enduroman marathon won't be part of your training!

Lurking with great interest.
  • Options
    Lots of luck with your training hilly. Will be following your progress here.
  • Options
    Good Luck Hilly
  • Options
    hilly, I'm not sure who's going to have the hardest time ahead you or Mike.
    Just listen to the advice given :-)

Train & race well

Tim

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning.

Back in one piece from Yeovil 5k. A shame I couldn't go flat out as conditions (apart from being a bit humid) were very good.

This is how it went. I did a 20 mins easy jog, some strides and light stretch before the start. Wore a support bandage on leg and have to say wasn't sure at this stage whether to go ahead as I could feel some discomfort.

Stared further back than normal and took the first km easy in 4.58, everyone passed me, but his dog, so speeded up a bit doing the 2nd km in 4.17, feeling very comfortable and although a dull ache in leg no sharp pains. Decided to push on doing the next 2 kms in 4.07 each, still feeling good and not wanting to be too far back in the pack I decided to race the last km passing 2 women who would normally be behind me anyhow in 3.58. Finish in 21.27. Not a fast time, but goal of getting round and testing leg complete.

Was in quite a bit of discomfort afterwards, but within an hour this had eased off and this morning it feels better than yesterday.

Altering my original plan tonight I was thinking of doing 8 miles with most of it on flat park ground and 10 miles on my bike. What do you think Mike?
  • Options
    Glad the injury is getting better.

Best of luck with your training.
  • Options
    Are you icing the hamsting after running to keep any inflamation down? Avoid the temptation to stretch a damaged hamstring until it is well into recovery.

I think you need to keep the pace down on your runs at the moment until you gradually build up the hamstring. Give it a couple of days to settle down - 8 miles easy sounds like it will be OK and no problem with the bike ride, although the hamsting problem maybe a balance problem between hams and quads - cycling builds the quads - so keep keep to spinning and don't push big gears.

After a couple of days do a long warm up, then a series of shuttle runs over 100m or so (only 6 to 8 of them), starting with a few heel kicks (kick your heel into your bum), then build up to a sprint but below your top speed. Do this several times a week for a couple of weeks. Once you feel you can sprint without the hamstring getting tight it is time to start pushing the training again. In the gym it may be worth working on the leg curle machine to build strength as well.
  • Options
    Pssst, Mike, when talking to Hilly you have to type EASY in capitals. Other than that you're doing great.
  • Options
    21.27 - less than a minute slower than your PB! Your hard on yourself Hilly......

I'll make use of the hamstring advice MG2. I'm avoiding hills/speedwork but have continued to stretch.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Sorry Mike I must not have mentioned it's my left calf muscle that's injured. Started with deep in the calf and spread to the inside area next to shin. Physio said I've torn some deep muscles there. It's so strange though as it hurts like hell one day then the next it's ok. I can walk with no pain, I can run up on my toes with no pain and at an easy pace, but it's when I lengthen my stride and land with full weight that I feel it.

Will run at a very easy pace on soft surface tonight and will still follow your advice on spinning rather than using big gears as I don't want thunder thighs!:o)

Ivor-I'm always quite hard on myself, but a min is a lot in 5k!:o)

DavidB, I understand easy, it's rest that I get confused with:o)
  • Options
    Hilly, since I took up cycling seriously(ish) my thighs have become huge... Some of my summer clothes, well, they no longer fit as well as they did :-( ... and I haven't even put on weight. And all I ever do is spin!

Rest. Now I have trouble with that word as well. Well, not so much the word as the concept...
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Yes, Lizzy, we know all about what you categorise as 'rest'! Think I'll take bike off my wish-list as thighs are already bigger than I'd like!
  • Options
    All of us have trouble with rest....well I used to, but now it comes too easy..

Sorry Hilly, I think you did say calf, but my brain stored it as hamstring. Same advice though if it is a soft tissue injury. Although the on/off nature of it sounds a bit like a referred back pain to me so you may want to visit an osteopath to check your back/pelvis alignment - I'm not a physio but injuries seem to follow a pattern and it is worth checking all possibilities - I suffered with sciatica which was diagnosed as soft tissue injury at first but it used to move around and turned out to be a tilted pelvis.

Cycling builds the calfs as well and can be part of the re-hab. but again keep in easy gears at first. On the shuttle runs practice doing fast feet - that is like running on the spot with your feet only leaving the ground a few inches, but it has to be light pitter patter and very rapid.

Don't worry about developing big thighs, it is unlikely unless you convert just to cycling as distance running tends to keep the muscle fibres thin.
  • Options
    hilly, if your injury stems from your back, you obviously need to sort your back out like Mike say's.

I, like you know have trouble with my back [being a bricklayer doesn't help] but since I've started sitting at my PC, sat on a balance ball it seams much better.
    Ached a bit until I got used to it but has been fine recently. Still early day's but I'm sure my lower is getting stronger just sitting down :-)
  • Options
    Hi Hilly! Good luck I'll watch your progress with interest.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Lizzy, you're so tall, as I recall, you most probably can 'carry' bigger thighs, me I'd look dumpy!

Mike-I do have a long term back problem-years of wear and tear an extra bit on the bottom of my spine I was born with and a leg length discrepancy (sounds like I'm about to fall apart!:o) I've seen all sorts of people about it, but not an Osteopath though, so it might be worth me going down that road. I was due to start a course to strengthen my core muscles but it was cancelled. I must find another I think.

Tim, I'll try your suggestion of sitting at computer on my balance ball, as long as I can reach the keyboard!

Training tonight changed again due to being short of time. I did 12 miles on the bike, then a visitor turned up as I was about to run, I didn't like to say I was busy. So didn't manage to get out for run, but went on the treadmill and did 5 miles at 70% WHR-felt very slow, but my leg was grateful for the easy pace!

I'm hoping the miles I do on the bike is going to help me keep my aerobic base as my mileage has really reduced in the last 4 weeks. This worries me going into a marathon programme. I've not started marathon training with an injury and substituting training on a bike before. But then I've only ever followed 12-14 weeks of a schedule not 18.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks Keswick.

Mike what are the benefits of training with a heart rate monitor and is it worth using one if living in a hilly area?
  • Options
    This is going to be THE thread to follow. Should be on-going gripping stuff.
    Hilly, if you can get past the first 2 weeks or so on your 'high intensity' come back, you'll probably be ok, (but of course you have access to much better advice :-) .
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    'Treadmill' advice acknowledged from all!:o)

Mike tomorrow I've got 10 miles easy on my plan-yes or no?
  • Options
    Hilly wishing you luck on your route to Cardiff - will be watching this thread to see how things are progressing and maybe I can take something away from here too that will give us both something to cheer about once we cross that finishing line on Oct 3rd!

All the best
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks Speedie. When I planned to do Cardiff I was really positive that I could achieve the time and then the offer of help from Mike with his wise and experienced tips, I thought great. Then I get this stupid injury, which I just want to go away so I can get on with my training!:o(

• Options
    I'm also interested in the benefits of heart rate monitors. I've been thinking of getting one so that I can better judge my effort levels.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I've dabbled with using one, but never long enough to know if they are of benefit.
  • Options
    Hilly, to an extent you need to judge for yourself whether your leg is up to doing a 10 miler, this is where virtual coaching is going to be difficult - though it is difficult to judge in person as well as it is so much a feed back thing as only the one with the injury really knows what it is like. It sounds to me as if it will be OK to generally do low level stuff (steady running). Leg length difference may be something you look at as it may have been OK before but as time goes on and you increase training an inbalance may throw up stress on particular muscules - sometimes a heel pad in the shoe of the shorter leg may take the strain off. Hugh Jones - LM winner in 82 used to get the outsole of one shoe sliced off then a strip of rubber put in before glueing the sole back on.

You will keep just as fit on the bike, but you do need to do so much more time on the bike for the same training effect since there are times when you free wheel etc, when running you're making an effort all the time or you're standing still!

I personally don't use a HRM much - they weren't invented in the 70's! But they are a good idea for people who do not have a good innate sense of effort/pace judgement. The best use I think is in making sure easy & steady are just that - most motivated athletes don't have a problem pushing the hard stuff - the problem is they push the easy stuff as well. I have been on the track doing 400's with people who set their HRM, coming into the home straight the alarms on their wrists are all going off - but will they slow down, no chance.
  • Options
    Sorry, forgot the other HRM question - if running in a hilly area you will get spikes in pulse rate on the up, and lower HR on the downs. The best way of dealing with it is to get a downloadable HRM and work out the average HR for the run. However, this only gives you the info after the run and not feed back during it.