Options

Chi Running

Comments

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    I was given the book for my birthday but haven't started it yet. I might be interested in a course if I can get there.
  • Options
    Great redhead, thats brilliant. I will keep you posted

- We are getting a good collection of interested people together here! fantastic.

The couple of venues I have in mind are fairly near train stations, at least i could come and get people from the station, though the trains might be sporadic, we might be able to get round this especially on the Sun by giving lifts to more widely used stations... details perhaps we can sort out once I have actually confirmed a venue.
  • Options
    Hi everyone,

A date has been set for the Chi Running workshop led by Catherina McKiernan (www.runcatherina.com) a certfied chi running instructor who is able to come over from Dublin to share her skills and knowledge with us. It will be held on 4th November at the Colwyn Leisure Center, Eirias Park, Colwyn Bay, North Wales. (https://www.conwy.gov.uk/section.asp?doc=2114&cat=1091)

Starting at 10am and with the formal workshop ending at 3pm though we have the room till 4pm for questions and any overrunning in time. Lunch is between 1-2pm and there is a cafe on site for food and refreshments. The venue has a track which we will use.

Catherina says to wear different coloured top to bottoms which are close fitting so she can assess our running form well.

Catherina says about the workshops:
    You will learn all the basic ingredients of the ChiRunning® Technique. I will be guiding you through many exercises and drills designed to leave you with a clear sense of what the ChiRunning technique feels like in your body. We will not be doing lots of running (contrary to what you might imagine), so no matter what condition you’re in, have no fear. We will spend the day alternating between demonstrations, fun exercises and technique drill. It will be a relaxed, enjoyable and inspiring day.

Here is a brief outline of what I will go through with you.

• The Keys to Effortless, Injury-free Running
    • The Physics of Running: Run without Using Your Legs
    • Video analyses of your running
    • Introduction to the ChiRunning® Form
    • Posture, Lean, Lift
    • Personal Check-in Tricks and Tools
    • Learning to Use Your Gears
    • Core Muscle Drills and Exercises
    • Pre-run Body Looseners, Post-run Stretches
    • Run Various Speeds While Conserving Energy
    • Run Uphill and Downhill Safely and Efficiently
    • Questions and Answers
    There will be handouts available on the day too.

It will cost £135 per person. There is no need to have read the book before you come though it might help to have an understanding of where these techniques are coming from. There will be books and DVD's available to buy at the workshop.

There are a maximum of 15 places available on this workshop to ensure individual attention so book your place now - I need £50 non-refundable deposit to secure a place. The remainder being due the week

before the workshop. You can pay by credit card through paypal (www.paypal.com) to emma at seeds-of-light.co.uk (replace the at with @ and remove spaces) or by PayPal mobile to 07796420156. Text me direct to give me your name and contact details too. Alternatively you can send a cheque made out to Emma Sunerton-Burl. First come first served for places.

Any questions let me know....

• Options
    Thanks Emma

please book two places

Sue +1

I will send the money through Paypal ASAP
  • Options
    Whoops I forgot to put the address to send cheques to

Cae Sarn,
    Pont y Pant
    Dolwyddelan
    Conwy
    LL25 0PJ

• Options
    The cheque's in the post (0;
  • Options
    Emma - what if you don't make the 15?

Also, could you recommend a good but reasonable B&B for the Friday night?
  • Options
    Hi Sue,

If we get under 12 then the workshop is not viable - I would of course refund any deposits paid in this circumstance.

However judgeing by the enthusiasm out there so far, I think we will get enough people easily there are 4 poeple committed and paid already and I only posted the details on Sat, many people will not have got to their computer yet. If by the end of this month there are still places available I will repost here, on the chi running site and on some other running clubs in the area too. I feel pretty confident that it will go ahead.

So if you want a place I would get in there now!

As to B&B's I don't know any personally up at the coast as its a bit out of my area, though there are some good websites with a wide variety of B&B's on. Goto http://www.activereservations.com/hotel/en/unitedkingdom/wales/conwy/colwynbay?subid=PPCGO1g1398en
    for example and look around the colwyn Bay area, the venue is between colwyn bay and Old colwyn.
  • Options
    Emma,

I met Danny in Chicago in 2004 and have not looked back since. I couldn't get to the training this year, and can't do 4th Nov. But you will never regret it.
    There are many aspects to the technique and you need to keep the 'focuses' as he says, so all adive is always helpful.
    (I agree the metronome gives a big boost)
  • Options
    Hi JD,

Great to hear how much someone has got out of this training, it seems excellent to me - I have been trying the book stuff but really feel I need some external frame to correct my mistakes. I am very excited about the workshop. It is a shame you can't make the 4th.
  • Options
    Hi Everyone,

Just realised I need to change the date to pay by... having looked at the logistics of putting cheques in the bank/withdrawing payments from paypal and having them clear so I can pay Catherina on the day and for the venue. The full amount needs to be paid by 28th Oct (about 3 weeks beforehand), which will give time for this all to happen. If this really presents a problem for anyone, let me know off list and we can work something different out - it will be ok for one or two but any more than that I am not going to be able to cover.

Sorry if this causes anyone any trouble.

• Options
    Sorry that should read 18th Oct
  • Options
    I've marked my diary to pay you on payday Emma. That'll be the 1st October.
  • Options
    Is the Catherina McMcKiernan giving the course the Catherina McKeirnan who won many medals at x-country and who has a 2:23 marathon time?
  • Options
    Sounds interesting but a flip of a long way to travel for me.
  • Options
    HI Brio,

Yes thats the one - you can check out her site for details of her achievements www.runcatherina.com

Shame its too far for you to come Mikefrog

• Options
    I am sort of interested but it is a distance. Will keep an eye on the thread.
  • Options
    Hi Emma I am interested in this workshop but not sure how far you are from either Reading or Birmingham?? I will have a look on the map and then get back to you but do you still have places left?

I have the chirunning book but haven't tried the technique yet - have been injured (back) and told not to do anyting..boo hoo! Thanks
  • Options
    Hi Monkey fingers,

Birmingham is the nearest, takes about 2 hours drive roughly from Birmingham to here. Up the M6 nearly to manchester then along the M56 then A55 along the coast (not sure of the road number joining M56 to A55). Colwyn Bay is half way along the north coast of Wales.

Yes there are still some places left, hope you can make it!

Catherina says it is not running intensive so can be done if recovering from sone injuries, I guess it depends how debilitating your back is, or will be by then.
  • Options
    Really interested in this technique as I've had one injury after another since Feb this year, but can't attend the workshop as a) I'm broke and b) I live in Edinburgh!

Can anyone advise where I can get the book and DVD online? Book seems to be fairly widely available but DVD seems harder to come by - any ideas?
  • Options
    Jen - you will have to order the DVD etc here

They will send it to you quite quickly and it is worth it!
  • Options
    Bought the book three months ago and think it fantastic. Especially like the PEL (perceived effort level)section - it really does make it sooooo much easier. I now run along with the mantra "Pick up, don't push up" on my lips and have certainly noticed the benefits (no tight calf muscles,as well as much more energy in general) Well worth buying I reckon. Enjoy the course all you lucky people!!
  • Options
    I went on a course in the US with Chris Nico in San Diego last November, having struggled with the book previously. For 15 years or more I'd been getting calf injuries several times a year. Since starting the Chi technique I've not been injured once. I even managed 18 miles the other day (having planned about 12) with no ill effects other than lactic acid build up. The warm up routine is much quicker too.
    It's changed my life and to be able to run injury free or go out without fear of injury is marvelous
  • Options
    Can anyone help me please? I've started trying this technique as it was recommended to me and at first I got on great. But now I've started to get really tight calves after a run especially if I run on the flat. Obviously I'm doing something wrong but it is so frustrating as I have a 10k and GSR this month and my leg is sore. Any idea where I can get guidance - I'm in SE England?
  • Options
    I'd call one of the coaches on the Chi running web site. They are very friendly & would probably talk to you. I recommend Chris Nico who taught me I would guess that if the calves are tight then maybe you have been using them or tensing them.

I'd suggest doing the warm up exercises in the bok, esp the knees & ankles & then check your focuses against the list, particularly the foot land and pickup. Its very easy to put the foot too far in front of you or not lean enough. Far better to chat with someone for 5 mins tho who has been trained
  • Options
    Thanks I'm determined to sort this one out. Probably trying too hard - that's my nature I'm afraid
  • Options
    Agree should go to website - Danny will probably reply to you if you ask him.
    As he will tell you - keep repeating the focusses - it is easy to forget one (or many) of them.
    And RELAX!!! - he has said 'get your muscles out of the way' and just let the chi flow. If calfs are tensing, it is the opposite to what you would expect.

Good luck! (I'm in Essex if want ot discuss)
  • Options
    Hi Beatty,

Are you aware of the workshop that is running over here in North Wales at the beginning of November? You could get some direct tips from Catherina then. (trainer coming over especially from Ireland). The details are posted earlier in this thread - page 2 I think. Or feel free to PM or email me for more details.