Options

Sub 4hr marathon,anyone?

Comments

• Options
    Meggles

You mean you go to Uni AND study !?! ;o)
  • Options
    What an inspiration the badminton pair were!! Brilliant match. Looking forward to doing some decent training over the next few days, before going back on nights. No takers for the New Year 10k then?
    Which schedules will you all be following?

I'm studying, and hoping to use, the 'ultimate' sub-4plan from this web-site

Hey, Meggles.Come next April 17th, you'll SO regret not doing the race. Go on, get a form. You KNOW you want to!!
  • Options
    Er, my profile may just have been written when I was training for Dublin last year. Weekly mileage has dropped a bit! Still going out 4 times a week tho.

Dan, I'm a mature student. Does that explain the studying part?!
  • Options
    OK meggles

just out of interest, Are you working full time also?? Is it a part-time or distance learning course??

I only ask as it is somthing i am thinking of doing as some point..

Dan
  • Options
    Dan,
    I am doing a full time Psychology with Criminology degree. I've been working full time over the summer (since my 2nd year exams finished at end of May). During term time I work part time, last year I worked one day a week at the same place I temped over the summer (same place I'm back at now) and I also teach ballet on Saturdays. Am lucky enough to be qualified to do something that pays a lot better than bar work!

Since I'm about to go into my 3rd year tho, I am going to try and survive on just teaching this year as last year I worked too much and had a bit of a last minute panic before exams!

My student loan just about covers my rent so I have no choice but to work to live! I certainly recommend going back, and I love being a student! Email me if you have any other questions!

• Options
    smg2975smg2975 ✭✭✭
    Dan - I can recommend part time study, I currently work full time and go to uni part time to do Business and finance, it's hard work because you have to a lot of 'homework' in your own time, evenings and weekends. But I really enjoy it most of the time and enjoy having something that tests and improves my intellect/knowledge etc, as my job certainly doesn't.

You have to be pretty committed to achieving it but I'm glad I went back to studying.
  • Options
    What a great start to the weekend!!. Gold,Silver and bronze in the rowing, and a run before breakfast. Sad to see the great Haille lose his Olympic crown last night. I saw him run at the NIA in Birmingham a couple of years ago, and he was truly awesome.Watching him on tv doesnt do justice to how fast he really is [or was]
    Looking forward to being just behind him in the FLM [Yeah, right!!]
  • Options
    Well no run this weekend, but spent 4 hours in the garden, digging up roots and knocking dowen walls, in preparation for my conservatory. Never knew it was gonna be such hard work!! Best workout i've had in ages :o)
  • Options
    What with the Olympics, and having visitors all day,running has taken a back seat today. Inspired by the likes of Tracy Morris and Liz Yelling, but it did remind me of one of the reasons that I'm training towards FLM 05 -So I dont have to listen to Brendan Foster banging on and on and on and on...........Come back Paula, and defend your Title
  • Options
    hi guys.
    i started the sub 4 thread last year so glad someone else has kicked things off this year.i have serious unfinished business with FLM so i have put in a ballot application and got onto my friends at macmillan.i have raised loads for them in the past so i'm as confident as i can be that i will get in one way or the other...this will be the third flm and fourth marathon,started about two years ago with crash course for new york 2002.have done pb of 4.27 in the heat in 2003 when i should have got around 4.10-not quite a paula scale disappointment i will admit.last year i was hamstrung by an ingrown toenail over christmas and the arrival of baby no 4 which put a crimp in the long runs,and tailed in in 4.45.at the moment i have a groin strain,but should be back up and running before long.

stylish-which bit of london are you in?-i am based in wandsworth and work in the city,looks like long runs will be monday nights this time around.i quite often run home in the evenings when i am fit and also do a certain amount at lunchtimes,which luckily for me are quite stretchy...
    i'm not doing the windsor half but will try and get to somewhere like reading....don't get many pink tickets for racing,sadly-see baby no 4 above....

plenty of tips for the day itself,but the best one at the moment is to put a fast time on your form,you can drop back pens if on the day you don't think you're going to go that fast but the nazi marshalls-just kidding guys-aren't keen for you to move forward,and if you get boxed in by the mister men and the wombles it can be frustrating...i put 4 hours.

off to last years sub 4 page to get everyone over here...
  • Options
    StylishStylish ✭✭✭
    Hi Alex, what with 4 kids it's no wonder you have a groin strain LOL. Only kidding.
    I actually live in East London but work in South West London not too far from Wandsworth actually. I worked in the City for about 10 years around the Fenchurch Street area. Very good times they were especially in The East India Arms and Duke of Somerset.
    I'm doing my "long" runs on Sundays just to get used to morning running as the race is at that time.

Stylish
  • Options
    sadly the adductors got strained running....
  • Options
    good idea to do running in the morning to 'acclimatise ' but you'll be up in plenty of time on the day-it feels like a lunchtime run by the time you've got up at 6 to get the train...
  • Options
    Stlish,
    Where do you plan on going on your long runs. I know East London and the East End well. Perhaps we can meet for some training during the build up!!
  • Options
    i am a big fan of the regents canal for lunchtime runs...
  • Options
    Afternoon all. Just back from a run along the sea-front. My Employer payed for us to move down to Sussex, and Im just trying to sort some nice long [quiet] routes in preperation for FLM training. Having been used to the fabulous endless miles of Windsor Great Park,its proving quite a challenge.
    Any advice from anyone in the Brighton/Shoreham area gratefully received.

Dod you guys have a good weekend?

Watched PR crash and burn last night, but I thoght Tracy Morris did us 'mid-to-back of -the- packers'proud!
  • Options
    StylishStylish ✭✭✭
    Hi Dan, I've just sent you an e-mail so respond to that.
  • Options
    smg2975smg2975 ✭✭✭
    Hi all

Just a quick query - if you don't get a ballot place but get a GB place instead, do you have to quote your finishing time again or do they just go off what you put on your ballot form?

Only reason I'm asking is cos I wish I'd but a slightly quicker time on my ballot sheet. I don't expect to get in through the ballot but Children with Leukaemia have guaranteed me a place regardless so I know I'm running.
  • Options
    Hi,Kittencat. Was trying to decide between Cancer Research and Children with Leukamia, as they were the charities I chose before pulling out of this years race with injury. Running with a fellow forumite for CWL sounds like a good idea. I wonder if they will hold training days again.
  • Options
    PS Saw the Paula Radcliffe interview with Crammy. I DO hope that husband of hers advises her NOT to do the 10k!
  • Options
    Kitten,
    I'd imagine it will be the time you tell the Charity as you don't actually have a place throught the ballot so there not gonna know who you are!!.

Only problem may be if you do get a ballot place. Charity will probably want their place back for another runner, although you can still raise money for them if you want...but then you would start according to your ballot time
  • Options
    I felt so sorry for Paula yesterday....and still do....

I think her mind was up for it but when she felt empty, and the others were still going away I don't think she knew what to do. it must be a crushing blow when she expects so much of herself!

Any negative criticism of her must be coming from people who have never run a decent distance, let alone a marathon, at that pace in those conditions.

On a different note....when will the bleeding weather get better so the thought of going for a run becomes attractive again!?!

• Options
    Funny you should say that, but I've just to the point in my early days training when I actually look forward to the next time!!

You're right about the weather though.It's very hit and miss at the moment. Went out in a waterproof and long-sleeve top this morning, and by the time I reached the sea-front the sun was out! Shouldn't complain though, I suppose.

Just gottime to see Kelly getthe gold {or not} before work.
  • Options
    I know, I woke up at 6am and saw the dark dampness out there. Went back to bed. :( Gotta stop that if I'm going to run a decent marathon.
  • Options
    smg2975smg2975 ✭✭✭
    Dan - that's what I was thinking would be the case. I do only get the GB place if I fail in the ballot, but will still be fundraising for CWL regardless.

I know it sounds awful but I hope I don't get the ballot place so that I can quote a better finishing time.
  • Options
    Solved [I think!] the problem of finding longer routes for marathon training. There's a club thats based in Horsham [30 mins drive]that will be putting on training runs in the New Year, complete with drinks stations!! Cant be bad. Will definitely check them out. Have a good day y'all
  • Options
    smg2975smg2975 ✭✭✭
    Haven't been able to train for a few days as been feeling really under-the-weather, and I'm feeling really guilty about it.

Am I doing the right thing by taking a break or should I be pushing myself to continue with my training?

I don't want to take too long a break otherwise I'll undo the little bit of progress I have made but I feel like I've no energy.

Any suggestions/advice?
  • Options
    StylishStylish ✭✭✭
    Morning Guys, well the Ballot application went of yesterday and as this is the sub 4hr thread I put down category E on the form ;0).Bequeathed my fee so look foward to getting that fantastic jacket.LOL The evenings are already getting shorter so might have to sort out a gym soon as the local park will be out of bounds. Anyway will be running tonight.

Kitten a few days break is not going to undo the progress you have made. If you feel like you have no energy then I can't see the point of running. Leave it a day or so and then just jog a short distance to see how you feel.Take it from there. One thing is for sure, which I'm slowly learning, is this training soon takes over your life and there's very little time for anything else. If you do try and cram everything in it will take it's toll sooner or later. You have to prioritise everything you do. That includes proper rest.

Stylish.
  • Options
    wise words, stylish. i've been working such long hours there's no way i could fit in a decent social life--let alone marathon training--right now and it's really worrying me. i'm hoping things will calm down after this week.

kitten, i had to take a two-week break before a 10K this month due to injury, and i still ran the whole way through without problems. listen to your body; you'll be back out there when you're ready.
  • Options
    I'm in for sub-4 if I get a place (will get a GB anyway but still rather get a ballot place)

I have unfinished business with FLM03 where I missed sub-4 by just over 7mins so bring it on!!

also part of my Ironman training so need to run this one.......