Options

Sub 4hr marathon,anyone?

Comments

• Options
    Welcome FB. Seen you on other threads. I can only agree with other comments about resting etc. Its a vital part of training, as is a decent bottle of Red!

Good to see Kelly Holmes getting it together at last.

Training tomorrow, weather permitting !! Hasn't it been lousy so far?
  • Options
    FB. Know what you mean. I missed sub-4 by 54 secs at FLM04. Past Big Ben and no juice left. Paula, we've all been there!
  • Options
    Hi alex,
    Posted on the old sub four thread. Hope you are well.
  • Options
    hi kitkat.i'll go take a look...not bad but too fat and groin healing only slowly.now popping ibuprofen and hoping to get going next week.
  • Options
    Good afternoon Peeps.
    Shall we start taking bets on how many times during the 10k in Athens that Brendan Foster mentions that he thinks Paula has taken the wrong decision[providing she runs], and then changes tack when it looks like she may get a medal?!

Anybody else think the triathlon was excellent?. That Aussie must have been devastated to get so close to the Gold, and then get chased down.

Good running, y'all
  • Options
    What a great TeamGB performance!!

On more mundane matters, a local running shoeshop is doing a 'buy a pair of these shoes, get a free heart-rate monitor' deal.

I've never used one of these gizmos before, but would like to incorporate it into my FLM training.
    Do any of you guys have knowledge/experience of such things?
  • Options
    normski, there's a HRM thread in the general forum. it's also part of base training. i got one a few weeks ago and have been meaning to read the instructions. i'm planning to use it for marathon training too, so let me know how you go.
  • Options
    Will do.I just hope I can get to the shop before they all go!!
    Had one of those 'doing more than the schedule says'runs today, so feeling quite chuffed.
    Might of had something to do with running under the flight-path for a local air-show, which proved to be a good distraction.
  • Options
    Well hello everyone!

I am also aiming for a sub 4 hour run after todays "longer than scheduled run" of 14 miles up some evil hills around me in 1hour 28mins.

Am well chuffed with that and have a new found enthusiasm!

suppose I better get through the great south run first tho!
  • Options
    jon,that sounds pretty encouraging....more like sub 3.15!
    I'm still stuck on the sidelines at the moment.still,lesson from last year was to get to the finish,first get to the start lots of people here started ratcheting up huge mileage and broke down close to the race with strange injuries which was heartbreaking...soo.... i'm not rushing to get back on the road quite yet.
  • Options
    out of interest, what is everyone expecting their weekly milage to be.

I don't expect mine to more than 25-30 at most. Mainly due to time constraints. More than that, and like Alex said, i'll probably over-do things and get injured.
  • Options
    Afternoon all

Debut message from an impossibly slow runner dreaming of breaking 4hrs for FLM 2005 a month before the big 4 0. Dreaming now because reality seems a long way away at the moment!

Live in London SW18, training for the Great North Run, and that is hard enough (will be 3rd attempt). The thought of starting again after a half-marathon is horrific.

Can it be done around a job of 12-hour days (occasional lunchtime runs), long runs at weekend (seem to burn out at 11 miles! I've never read about that!). Or should I get real, aim for 5-plus hrs and not worry about it?

Interested in views from anyone else who has tried the "impossible"?
  • Options
    sounds very encouraging to me too alex but sticking with a goal of sub 4 hours for the moment just in case training goes to pot over the winter!!

• Options
    Hi folks, I got in this year but had to defer due to a stress fracture, apparently caused by "over-training" although I was sticking to a training schedule and didnt think I'd upped the intensity too quickly or anything.
    I did a half marathon last weekend (2h04) and was wondering if anyone's got any advice on what to do now, as most of the marathon training schedules would start around Christmas - I dont want to suffer the same fate again.
  • Options
    gf - just keep putting the miles in and do a few more races between now and the New Year if you want - building up your leg strength will only help to overcome the stress fracture problem but don't go mad and overtrain.........

my view on this will be to keep doing at least one long run a week (up to 15 miles) once triathlon season is over, mixed with a few shorter races at least until Xmas and then I'll just up the weekly miles in the New Year.........

well - that's the theory
  • Options
    thanks for that FB, just struggling to find any races in this part of the world between now and Christmas...if anyone knows of any coming up in/around Aberdeen please give me a shout. I know there's a few in September but I'll be away on holiday most of the month (tough I know) and I havent found anything after the Loch Ness ones.
  • Options
    The 'ultimate' sub 4 schedule goes up to about 40-50 mpw, but thats not until the latter stages of the training.
    To avoid injuries/overdoing it, only one of the runs I'm doing at the moment is on the road

Not sure about 12 hour days,but semi-permanent night duties makes training interesting!

Gailforce, there's no harm in finding a marathon schedule to suit you now, and just doing the 1st month of it a couple of times, in readiness for the New Year
  • Options
    [creeps into thread and whispers]
    Hi Alex - you are sick!
    Hi KitKat - glad to hear you are enjoying the job and very jealous of you going to Athens
    Hello everyone else - good luck in the training and in the ballot. Sorry about using your thread for these messages but the forum won`t let me post to the old sub-4 thread :/
    [creeps out again]
  • Options
    Hi Gail Force, what were your symptons?

How long did it take to go?

Just wondering as I have had pains in my legs for months now and even weeks resting doesn't help

bert Brown Bear
  • Options
    Hi Bert Brown Bear, at first I thought I'd just bruised the outside of my leg, it was jsut above my ankle and I seem to be prone to mysterious bruises! It would be ok when I started running, and then get worse and worse as I continued - the last time before I went to see the physio I was in severe pain after a 4-mile run. My GP thought it was a strain in the tendons and told me to rest and ice it for a couple of days, and to see a sports physio if that didnt help.
    I wasnt able to run at all for 2 weeks, but I was able to do non-impacting exercise eg cycling, swimming and then gradually built up the running after that.
    I'd really advise you to see a sports physio and have your legs checked out - I've always been a bit chicken in case they tell me to stop running, but a sports physio will know you dont want to do that if at all possible, and advise you accordingly.
  • Options
    Thanks Gailforce,

on that note does anyone know of a good sports physio in the thanet area?

Bert Brown Bear
  • Options
    Hi Guys, how is everyone and how's their training going. I did my first run for 8 days yesterday and now I'm aching in places that I've never ached before LOL. I can see that running outdoors is going to prove difficult during the week as it's getting dark earlier.Also you have to be more careful where your foot lands etc.May have to join a gym but they're bloody expensive.Anyway, good and injury free running to everyone.

Stylish
  • Options
    Hi Sylish,

Run on Saturday, and had some foot pain, so didn't do much until yesterday. 5 miles on the treadmill. so things are going pretty much to plan.

Recommend the gym. especailly one with a pool. Like to swim at least once a week to give the legs a bit of a rest from all the pounding. I use the Esporta in Romford. Think there is one in Ilford too.
  • Options
    sf/dm - stick to the roads if you can even over the dark nights - treadmills are crap for endurance training imho - although great for the odd speedwork session.......

my base training is fine and probably better than FLM03 as i've kept running over this cooler summer and been doing triathlons.

real test is the Vitruvian 1/2 ironman tri on 9/11 (ha!) - let's see how the legs stand up to the 1/2 marathon at the end of that..............I can see a big OUCH coming on already.........
  • Options
    just popping by to say hi.nothing realy running related to say at the mo-physio starts on the groin tomorrow,hopefully will be out and about before too long.
  • Options
    Hi,Lads and Lasses. In the middle of another run of night duties,but managing to get the runs in. Short[ish] term goals are the Victory 5 in Portsmouth, early December, and the Stubbington Green 10k early January. Then its training for a certain race in April, I believe.
    Entering the murky world of heart rate monitors within a couple of days. Any advice?
  • Options
    get a good one! there's loads about depending on what functions you want. I just bought a Polar s720i as it has bike functions as well and downloadable into a PC.

best advice is to search on e-bay - I saved nearly £100 on retail price for mine.
  • Options
    Normski i have succumbed to the integrated timex ironman system,which works v well-watch,gps and hrm data in one package...
  • Options
    Hello everyone,

Hope we are all still training hard!

Did my first 1/2 marathon (Thanet) on the weekend and managed to finish in 1:55 which I'm really chuffed with. This got me thinking about just how fast and for how long I'd need to run for sub 4hrs time, let me just say OUCH!!

Am I on track for sub 4hrs considering my time in the 1/2 and how long till the FLM?

Bert Brown Bear
  • Options
    Nice one BBB

Doing the Grat North Run in three weeks and hoping for the same sort of time. And will then be considering the very same questions ahead of (possibly) first FLM.