Options

Sub 4hr marathon,anyone?

Comments

• Options
    RR-thanks for your mail which i received,but the return mail i sent bounced back with an unknown at this address....anyway-i'd love to meet up but next week is no good.i will ring and we can get organised...
  • Options
    lunny the idea is that you start with 4 or 5 and build up to do 10 in 4 mins each-good call to tweak speed slightly upwards,also to ensure that you add a liitle resistance-say a 1% incline if using a treadmill as you don't have the wind resistance you'd have running outside...people say,and i'm coming round to this (having easily done 10x 4 mins without coming close to sub 4 marathon last year)that you should build up to 10 then cut the recovery times to eg 3 ,or 2 1/2 mins to see more benefit...

on long runs fb is again correct though the rw schedules are only at about 8 or so at present,and -my boring advice to everyone-is not to overdo it and injure yourself at this point-or any other point before the race-you've got to be in it to win it...I am hoping to get 3 x 20 and about 3x 18 or so before the big day.my view of my own physiognomy is that above 18 miles anything can happen-its a mental business the wall-and can take many forms-so its best to have been there a few times...and allow for experimentation with gels,drinks,kit etc....i am doing 10-12 a couple of times a week at the moment,but will extend one gradually as we go forwards.the danger of doing too much long stuff too soon is not only injury but you will be too knackered for a couple or three days afterwards to do the other bits and pieces-the tempo runs, the hills/speedwork etc that it sounds like you need-as do I-to get from 4.40 to 3.59.59....
  • Options
    ap is right there - don't OVERDO it.......I'm suffering some burn out at the mo having packed a load of training in over the Xmas period and since - in 14 days I did 2x 18mile runs, 2x 15 milers - plus cycling and swimming......

it's all caught up with me this week and I feel like cack so am having a break next week - skiing but at least that doesn't load the same muscles and to me is restful (a 20+ year skier)...........
  • Options
    yeah,its mental as well as physical.i went for a really great run today,thanks to low gps batteries i have no idea how far it was and therefore how fast,i had't done the route before,but it was a beautiful day by the river and through the isle of dogs and I just kept on going for 2 hrs 10,i expect it was about 10-10.15 miling,but i really don't care....means i only 'need' to get a tiddler in over the weekend.so i can go shooting tomorrow without qualms....
  • Options
    fb,where are you skiing?
  • Options
    Chamonix..........

had a place there for over 10 years but am sadly putting it on the market this trip as it's time to move on to pastures new and the place has changed enormously and lost it's "ambiance" a lot - not the place we bought into. fab place and will miss it but there's not much there we haven't done now that I still want to do.
  • Options
    Good to see that everyone's training is going well and injuries are distant memories (or heading that way).
    I managed to take almost three minutes minutes off my 10k PB at Stubbington Green - now stands at 46.40, so that was a good confidence booster (Normski - I see you were there too. A shame we missed the chance to meet up).
    Time to start thinking about getting the long run sorted out again. I went out for a 16 miler this morning, which was the first time over 12 miles since October. My legs did not think that this was such a good idea, reminding me of the 10 percent rule at about, er, 13.2 miles, I suppose.
    Now if only there was a way to keep endurance without having to plod away for hours on end every Sunday....

• Options
    Thanks guys - lots of good advise.
    I think I will be the top end of the sub 4 hour just scraping in.
    Only managed to do 7 yesterday as I had a lunch out and didn't want hubby moaning.
    On the long runs I am trying to maintain around the 9.15 - 9.30 - theory being this being that I need to keep my speed up.
    I know that it says in the schedules run at a much slower pace but I feel I won't be able to raise that speed upwards again.
    Does this all make sense - last year my long runs went slower and slower and in the end I struggled to run at 9 min mile pace even on the shorter runs.
  • Options
    Hi Alex

Just had to change my address in profile , havent been on the site for a while and email address was obsolete.
    Have now updated , normally run Tue/Thurs in City , will be adding additional day soon.

Spk soon

RR
  • Options
    just back from a lovely run-beautiful in london today,if a bit chilly,and just the weather to put in a bit of extra effort-i didn't feel i did push very hard but turned in a 7.7 miler in 9.25 min miles and feel great.....something is working-that is a little faster than i did the nike 10k- even if i have got a sore knee and a twingy calf.....hope its all working your end...
  • Options
    I envy you being able to fit lunch time runs in Alex, I agree it was lovely in town today. I ran an easy 7 miler last night in 70 mins and my long run is up to 12 miles now. Just looking ahead in the RW schedule, the longest run mentioned is 17 miles, can't be right can it??

Off down the track tonight to make a start on speed work. Not sure wheather to do as per RW Sched or do the Yasso's
  • Options
    I too managed lunchtime run. 8 miles in 59:40. When I started had in mind a nice slow run 9 min/mile but felt really fresh and legs kept going. Can't seem to do a really slow run. I know I must try cos I will pick up injuries but find it very difficult.

Am really trying to stick to the 3:45 schedule but also pick and choose from the 3:30 one as well.

Jenks I would do the Yasso's. Nice to vary a bit from the schedule otherwise you become to reliant on it. Have that there as a guide.
  • Options
    can't run in my lunch hour, but do envy you would love to run in city parks.
    Did 15 mile at weekend in 2h 17m and felt really good - stiff legs though all the next day.
    Did a 5 miler last night to loosen up - all my schedules have the longest run at 22 miles??
    I am following the sub 4 but putting longer runs in at the weekend - feel I need to put more long runs in to get my endurance up.
  • Options
    Hello all
    i've not posted on here for a while hope all is well for everyone.My training is going well at present did 12m on sunday rested monday 6m fast yesterday and have just done 5m easy pace.

Big stew
    i have the same problem with long runs i start slow but find it hard to stay at that pace and end up running at half marathon pace.
  • Options
    Hi all

Hope the training is going well.

Struggling back into the training myself having just returned from 7 days alcohol training (similar to altitude training but without any of the benefits!!!) Anyway, bit of speed work yesterday, and a gentle 5 miles today seems to have purged the system, so roll on Sunday and the Wokingham 1/2.

Dave
  • Options
    Hi all,

Need advice please!?! The FLM is my first marathon and my training is going great but I'm really confused as to what my finish target should be. Initially, I thought 10min miles i.e. 4hrs 26min but as training is so good I'm wondereing whether a sub 4 is achievable. My most recent 10k time was 52min (2 months ago) but reckon I could do it in about 51.30 now and I did a half marathon last year in 1hr 58min. I reckon I could maybe do a half now in 1hr 53min. Am I kidding myself on to think that I could do marathon in sub 4 hours?

Please help!?!
  • Options
    Hi Lesley glad to hear that the training is going well. According to my maths sub 4.00 is 9 min miles all the way thru. The schedules say that to do sub 4.00 you need to do a very recent half marathon in 1.50. So I would guess that you're probably bang in the middle. If it's your first then try not to concern yourself with the time too much just now. Whatever you do it will be a PB and if you really have a good day you never know you might break sub 4. Good luck.
  • Options
    Thank you Stylish, never really thought about it being a PB as I think this marathon will be a one off but you never know I might enjoy it so much I'll want to do more and then hit that sub 4 target another time (if not this one).

Thanks for help.
  • Options
    Stylish. A health warning. You will enjoy your first Marathon, especially the FLM, so much you will obsessively want to do more. I agree that you should not push yourself too much the first time.If you target 4hrs and miss it you will feel a failure whereas anyone who completes their first marathon should feel elated in achieving what few people can dream of doing.
    Last year's FLM was my first and I ran comfortably in 4hr22mins. I revelled in the adulation of wife, astonished daughter,friends and business colleagues. The FLM was so much fun I carried on training and at Dublin ran 4hr 7mins. Yes I am aiming for 4hours at his years FLM but only because I am 62 and I may be running out of time. After the FLM I want to enjoy the New York Marathon in November where crowds and hills may be too much for a PB. See what I mean about obsession !! Good luck.
  • Options
    Lesley your running times are about the same as mine - my best half marathon is 1hr 53 and my best full marathon is 4hrs 4 mins. I intend to break the 4 hr barrier in an Irish marathon - the Connemara on Easter Sunday. I think you can do the same Lesley, Regards, Seamus.
  • Options
    Lesley

I always give myself 3 goals in the marathon. The first is to finish, the second in an achievable time, and the third is a possible time. So why not do the same and say 1) Finish 2) 4:30 3) 4:00. You'll probably do the first 2 but the crowds at London make it difficult to achieve an absolute best.

Most of all enjoy it, then you'll definately do another. If it's not a sub 4 this year then look forward to the next one.

This'll be my third and I'm now aiming for a 1) finish 2) PB 3) Sub 4.

JT
  • Options
    hi all
    i've had a week off to try and get rid of some niggly soreness in my shins but i am off for a big run tonight-mrs p is still away for the long weekend and i have a night to myself...
  • Options
    hello folks

not been back in here for a while so thought I'd stick my head in......

I planned a 3hr run yesterday and I stopped my watch as I arrived at my front door at 2hrs 59mins 59.5 secs..........how's that for timing?? had to leg it for the last 800m or so to get under the 3hrs though!! wonder if that 0.5 secs will come back to haunt me??

so - first 20miler (approx) out of the way and felt quite good until the last 30mins or so when it got tough. managed an average HR of 130 with the first 2 hrs under 130 which was pleasing as most of my other long runs to date have averaged over 130 so must be getting fitter......

Brighton 1/2 next w/e so a good test of speed........

trust everyone is well and training is going fine.......
  • Options
    Hi all

Have not run since last Tuesday as i have had the flu, still not fully recovered but am feeling a lot better.Due to go back to work on wednesday and will probably go for easy run in the evening.
    Hopefully this will not have much bearing on my performance as there is still a long way to go before the day giving me plenty of time to get back on track.
  • Options
    morning all-not so sure about the plenty of time-went out for a long one last night,noting that there are about 9 weeks to go and i need to slot in about 9 really long runs-trying to get to 3x16,3x18 and 3x20 before the day,looks unlikely.but poor mapreading left me on 14.7 rather thn 16 ,v slow 11 min miling but a lovely night for running under the moon and stars alongside a river thames at high tide;going to get some physio on my sore shins tomorrow....
    nice work fb.i am going to be well behind you at this rate...
  • Options
    Anyone doing Mad March Hare on 6th March?
  • Options
    skiing that day :O))
  • Options
    anyone going to be in richmond park sunday morning for 15 miles of fun in the mist?
  • Options
    nope

will do my own 20 miler this weekend

have fun