Options

adidas Flora London Half-Marathon

Can anyone advise if this is a good preperation run for the London Marathon ?

If this is not the case then can anyone suggest alternatives in and around london ?

Many thanks,

Paul

Comments

• Options
    Well it is, but its a long way from London innit ?

Use the Events Tab at the top and put in Half Marathon and London.
  • Options
    Thanks Cougie.

I will do, but as a first time Marathon Runner, reccomendations are always appreciated as I havent run to many organised events in London before !

• Options
    I've done it both years it's been run. I hated it the first year but did it again last year as we were putting on a coach, and I was surprised by how much more I enjoyed it.

Good points: Dead flat so PB course, 'big event' feel, excellent goody bag, comes at a good time for FLM preparation, plenty of first-timers.

Bad: not much to look at, nowhere near London, tends not to have any spectators apart from start/finish. Car park/traffic is also a problem unless of course you travel with us! (Sorry, couldn't resist it.)

Overall, I like it, but fair to say that some people don't.
  • Options
    Thanks for the words of advice Running Commentary !

Can anyone suggest 1/2 Marathons in and around london in preperation for the LFM ?

• Options
    Paul, you may or may not think this is 'around London' but I really recommend the Reading Half on March 6th.

It was my first ever race when I was doing the FLM in 2002, and thought it a really good preparation in the sense that it (like Silverstone) has that big event feel, but this one has a lot of crowd support too and takes place through the town which is much nearer to the FLM feel than some of the nice rural halfs. Reading isn't absolutely flat but there are only one or two undulations and you get to finish in the Madejski stadium which is a nice touch. A big, generally well-organised event with chip timing etc. Lots of forumites too (see separate thread).

Nothing in this country is quite like the FLM, but Reading is definitely one to recommend if you're looking for a hint of the big race. Usually about 10,000 runners.
  • Options
    I've just put my entry in...

...any on-line motivators/training buddies for a first time 1/2 marathon runner??
  • Options
    I was thinking about doing this one too - what is the car parking like?
  • Options
    car Parking is ok. I got there early and left straight after a marathon pacedish 1.30.

I found no problems and was able to spped out.

I beleive those who left later had over 2 hour waits to get out
  • Options
    Paul,

Would echo what others have said about Reading, good race and at the right time in terms of preparation. Also there's a 16 miler in Kingston on 20th March and an organised RW 15 mile training run in Richmond Park at the end of Feb (I think) which are also good build up runs for the marathon. Where are you based?
  • Options
    Hainesy,

I live in Clapham, so both the mentioned races I think would be ideal in terms of location and distance !

Paul
  • Options
    Hainesy - do you have any web links or contact info regarding the said runs ?

Thanks for your help again !!!!

Paul
  • Options
    Running Monkey, my first half-m as well.

I feel I may have an advantage that could help us both for this run..not only have I raced on this track (in a car) for the past five years, but I have even had pole here in 2003!! I am sure we can get off to a flying start and slip stream all those in front of us.

Now must dig out my old lap times and track notes.......
  • Options
    Have done lots of races over the years travelling from the SW London Area

Bramley 20 miles at end Feb comes a bit early but a good way to stretch yourself

Kingston 16 miler is the week after Silverstone and is an excellent race, very flat (Silverstone has inclines) and lots of people to pace yourself against, many FLM warm ups there. Very well organised. Run along the river as well.

Readin Half - tougher course, very mixed reviews over organisation in last few years.

Silverstone is good to do to get you used to the big race feel - ie pre race faffing about, queueing for toilets, not going too fast etc

Enjoy them
  • Options
    I enjoyed this one...didn't find it dull at all. Good wide course and fairly flat, so plenty of scope for PBs. Just entered online so see you there.
  • Options
    Reading had problems with getting the race off on time in 2002 and 2003, so changed the start in 2004 to avoid the problem. Didn't do it in 2004 but understand there were queues to get out of the car park. Still a good race though.

Would recommend both Reading and Silverstone though it's true, neither is perfect.
  • Options
    did this in 2003 and still have my 1/2 PB from that event........

but car park was a 'mare; long way to go so won't do again....

try Paddock Wood 1/2 in Kent (near Tunbridge) - flat course well set up for fast races - in March as well......
  • Options
    I did the Silverstone half marathon last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. True, there isn't much to look at, but music is played over the speakers (to take your mind off the running?!) and it's easy for any spectators to watch you in several different places. I thought the atmosphere was great and the organisation was brilliant. Good luck!
  • Options
    Paul, you can find details of the Kingston race here http://www.humanrace.co.uk/ Click the link which has the breakfast run on it. I think it's also listed in the events section on here.

The 15 mile training run was organised by RW last year and is two laps of Richmond Park. There are about 6 different pace groups if I remember rightly starting at 7 min/miles going up to 11 min/miles I think. No details released on here yet but I think they'll probably do it again this year, can anyone confirm? Starts around 8am on a Sunday morning.

Hope that helps!

• Options
    I have signed up for the Watford 1/2M, Reading 1/2 Marathon & Kingston 16Miler.

How many 20mile + runs do you think I should do before the LFM ?!?!? I do quite alot of spead training and in my last 10k Race I ran 45mins (Nike London) I am running 5K in around 20mins at present. The longest I have run is about 2hrs 30mins !

One more thing, I pay football on a saturday and train once a week. How can I fit in training ofr the LFM with this in mind? Can I use these activitys as a substitute !

Thanks for your help everyone, it really is very much appreciated !!

• Options
    See you at Silverstone, just entered ;-)
  • Options
    Racing Midget - I see from your profile you don't do races - is this your first race as well, or just your first half M?? What do you think your time will be?

What about everyone else - are you all seasoned 1/2M-er's?

I was doing well with training but have had a injury setback. Hoping to carry on serious training again soon (I have an appointment for othotics - that will mean I'll have to run everywhere as after paying for these I won't be able to afford petrol!!!)

• Options
    It is my first 1/2M. I have done a few 10k & 5K's races.........
  • Options
    I personally think that everyone should boycott this race......

......and do the Adidad Half Marathon in Liverpool which is on the same day.

Go on you lot, visit the 2008 Capital of Culture 3 years early so you can say that you saw what Liverpool is really like.
  • Options
    The girlfriends from Liverpool...........

On my first visit to Liverpool, I learnt to run ............... fast !!!
  • Options
    Just entered online for this one - my first half! Will I be last with an estimated time of 2 hours??!!
  • Options
    most certainly not lucy...
    (hey... THE lucy-lu??!)

it's a huge field with a typical london marathon split of abilities.

not doing it next year although i have the last 2 years.

have fun everyone :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the encouragement ed-m, of course its THE Lucy-Lu (were you thinking of Lucy-Liu though? a subtle but noticeable difference!!)
  • Options
    dang... mind you if the difference is only subtle i might still turn up ;)
  • Options
    My anticipated time (according to the RW Race Time Predictor!)is about 2 hours 10 minutes at the moment, so I'll be behind you Lucy-Lu!!