Options

Nike Free

Comments

• Options
    Power to the foot!!!

Go Pre, very well put :-)
  • Options
    Go Pre - I wholeheartedly agree with your last couple of sentences. And the point about feet being lazy thanks to most current running shoes.

(I won't bother with the whole 'pronation and why it shouldn't be an issue' debate - that's been done to death elsewhere!)
  • Options
    I found myself with some unexpected spare money and a free lunchtime, so I popped up to Sweatshop to check out the Free for myself, with a view to maybe getting a pair as casual shoes if I liked. But their stock hadn't come back yet from FLM!

Strangely enough the Nike Shop did have some in stock. They seemed wonderfully flexible when held, although the big flared heel still wasn't quite to my tastes. Never mind - the flexibility is a definite plus point. When I put them on and walked around, I found they didn't actually feel too much different to my current minimalist running shoes in terms of forefoot flexibility. What was annoying though was the intrusive arch support. Very uncomfortable, very unlike barefoot, and enough to stop me buying them. Which is a shame because (believe it or not) I wanted to like them.

Ho hum - maybe I'll save some money and try and get my hands on some NB RC150s...
  • Options
    Go Pre - your replies on this and another thread (shox) lead me to believe you have a vested interest in sales of Nike products.

Please be open about it if this is the case. Mr Saucony is.
  • Options
    Nike, being open, not likely.
  • Options
    I'm not a fast or good runner, but I ran my first marathon on Sunday. I only wear Nike Frees (except for 1 run I did that was a trail run). I definitely find after 26 miles you can feel it in your core muscles. Feet & legs are fine, if a bit wobbly.

When not running, I wear Vivo barefoot - which have a very thin sole (incorporating Kevlar to stop glass). You can definitely feel the ground in them.

I will definitely be sticking with my Frees for my next race (a half on Sunday).
  • Options
    Grumpity,

No vested interest - I researched the company for my university dissertation and like the company and prefer their products. I am also into sports footwear in general and love the tech side. Having spent time learning about the products, I figure if I can answer some questions in a forum I might as well.

Matt - not too sure what you mean about being open - I think they are one of the most open Sports Companies
  • Options
    RFB - ah, Vivo Barefoot! That sounds a bit more like it for a casual shoe. What can you tell me about them? Worth the money?
  • Options
    The vivos are pretty expensive - cost more than the free. They look very different to a normal shoe, mainly due to the expanded toe area, but also due to the complete lack of heel. Oh, and the zip on the sole (a throwback to the original design when the sole was not very hardwearing).

I have a black pair which I wear to work, and a red & white pair that I wear in the evening (that look like clown shoes). Mrs RFB also wears vivos, mainly for the comfort factor.

They took a bit of getting used to, but now feel really great to wear. In combination with the frees, I'm sure my feet & ankles are far stronger than they used to be.
  • Options
    Cheers RFB. I'm happy with my running shoes - it's just the casual shoes that I could improve on!
  • Options
    Normally 85 or 90 quid, a small range are on sale on the following site:
    http://www.imbeautifulproducts.com/acatalog/SALE_ITEMS___.html
  • Options
    RFB - how do the sizes compare to regular shoes (and running shoes, come to think of it)?
  • Options
    Would these be a good shoe for walking in? I walk around four miles a day, sometimes more, and am curious if I can be helping my running whilst, er, walking?
  • Options
    It's summer! Are these really an improvement on my too-big sandals?
  • Options
    SVT: Sizes are the same as normal shoes, its just the vivos let your feet spread out as they naturally would without shoes.

BP: Some people would suggest that walking does not help running at all. However, shoes that allow your feet to get the sensory messages they are designed to receive are surely better than shoes that stop these messages. If you are thinking about trying something as radical as the vivo, be prepared to take some time to get used to them, and also be prepared to lose a couple of inches of height.
  • Options
    Decided to get something I could run in, so I've just ordered a pair of Teva Protons. All the barefoot simulation, none of the built-up heel or arch support, none of the expensive marketing, less than half the price.

And tomorrow I'll see if I can get my hands on a pair of NB RC150s. What with my H-Streets and Jarowe Waffles I'm well on my way to having the ultimate minimalist running shoe collection!
  • Options
    SVT: Let us know how they perform.
  • Options
    Woohoo! The legendary RC150s still exist in my size - £25 per pair or £60 for 3 pairs. I'll try one pair first and then buy a load more if I like them (before they all disappear - I hope I take a different size to Pantman!).

RFB - a full comparative study will follow...

• Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    So.... these shoes are designed to replicate barefoot walking and though people seem to use them to pad around in, this is ultimately to ensure the foot can cope when going out for short runs in these things??????

I love mine but I am starting to think I won't wear them in the house any more as I am seeing them more as shoes. They are comfy, but it doesn't feel like barefoot to me. I can feel the contours in the shoe and my feet are in place as opposed to sprawled out. What makes people think they feel like barefoot?!??
  • Options
    Saw a pic of Free 4.0 's yesterday - heel STILL too big, but def better.
  • Options
    Jen, have you been for a proper walk in them ? I've been wearing mine for walking the dog ie brisk, rather than shopping/around the house-type walk, and find that my feet do spread out and I get far more onto my toes than in oridinary trainers. I'm recovering from injury so not running, but I can't wait to start running in them, cos they are so light and comfy.
  • Options
    SVT - would you share where you found the NB RC150s ? Maybe they have my size too, and I don't suppose my size and yours are the same anyhow!
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    TMR - I see what you mean. I get the 'on the toes' thing you are saying. I wore them around work yesterday but haven't really walked for more than 10-15 minutes in them.
  • Options
    I now wear them all day at work (i'm a P.E. teacher) and have been for about a couple of months.

At first my feet were aching after a hard days graft but now i dont have any probs at all. i have to admitt that if wear 'normal' trainers they do feel extremely hard(?) and ungiving(?) - does that make any sense. I also do a bit of running in them now but only on the grass with kids.

They make me feel more 'bouncy, on my toes' when running! Like a floaty light kenyan, even though i dont weigh anything like them, much heavier!
  • Options
    Why are people so hesistant to wear them for proper training, once your feet have got used to them ? If your feet are stonger and no longer need motion control or extra cushioning, shouldn't they be OK for anything ? Even Paula seems reluctant to wear them for running, (in article in this week's AW).
  • Options
    Pantman, next time I buy new shoes I'll keep the shoes you can have the box, then we'll both have something to run in :-)

TmR, I'm planning on running in mine soon, maybe another two weeks & that will have given me 4 weeks indoors in them.
    I'm really finding them comfortable so running shouldn't be a problem.
    I might need a second pair though ;-)

• Options
    Just been for a first run in mine. 2 miles on a combination of tow path, road and grass wherever possible.
    They seem to encourage good form and felt fine. Feet ached after first mile and they feel like they've had a workout. Thighs feel tired as well but not sure if that's just general tiredness or related to the shoes in some way.
  • Options
    Roo - i'm just hesistant as i'm following advice from all the so 'called' experts that state not to use them as 'normal' training shoes. i'm 14 stone ex-rugby player if i was a 10 stone whippet then i think i would run everywhere in them as they are so comfy!
  • Options
    I've just ordered a pair each for me & Mr Hbjb. I'm hoping they'll help me to stop being a heel thumper but I'm not sure I'll be running far in them as I am a wee bit on the heavy side!
  • Options
    I thought my hips/gluutes were aching a bit after the first few days of wearing them. I guess it depends on one's individual weaknesses.

And I certainly wouldn't go straight into wearing them for every run. I'll build up much more gradually than with a normal pair of new trainers, but in the end when everything is stronger and well balanced, longer runs might be poss. But, like BT, i can see the need for a second pair as they will clearly wear out pretty soon. Also won't be any good on soft slippery mud.

But it does make sense of why my favourite shoes have always been my Walsh fell shoes. Even after 20-30 mile multi-terrain runs I've never had any problems, unlike new pairs of heavier shoes. I think I'm becoming converted. I will also try out wearing racing shoes more often.